Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Ensign Expendable posted:

Tanks are great. Is that the Tamiya kit?

Also your driver's hatch is upside down.

Yeah it's the tamiya kit, And goddamnit. I knew the hatch looked odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I like the lighting in that shot.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Tankheads of the world unite

Tried to get some decent shots of my DAK tanks (Tamiya 1:48), but gently caress me if I can ever get focus. Need to get a decent tripod or something.

Happy 2017 and build tons of tanks, y'all

High Fantasy StuG III: afaik, there was about 7 (!) StuGs in the desert, and they'd be earlier models than this without shürzen.

I tried a ton of new stuff on these:

- preshading and highlights with airbrush
- chipping with sponge
- enamel wash

In the end I think they are over-weathered, as you'll bound to do when you try new techniques, but they were hella fun to build and paint. Tamiya 1:48 AFVs are totally my jam now.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
If you've got an "everything one unit currency!" type shop near you then you can usually get cheap camera tripods in there for next to nothing. They do the job for just plopping it down on the same table as the tank or whatever.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

The_Rob posted:

This is my first time building a tank and I'm pleased with the results. I still need to weather the tracks and everything, but building a tank is really fun.
Gorgeous result and a really great photo!

lilljonas posted:

In the end I think they are over-weathered, as you'll bound to do when you try new techniques, but they were hella fun to build and paint. Tamiya 1:48 AFVs are totally my jam now.
Can't speak to the completely ahistorical Stug but the Africa Corps literally drove their tanks till they fell apart. Issues of reliability not withstanding, the wear that the desert environment put on all the components, including presumably paint, was unforeseen and dramatic.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Cartoon posted:

Gorgeous result and a really great photo!

Thanks man that means a lot to someone like me who is still pretty new to modeling, not to mention this is an early attempt at doing kits other than Gunpla.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Ensign Expendable posted:

Looks amazing!

It came in this kit, I don't know who took the photos.

Also it turns out that my airbrush and compressor aren't compatible at all :( The fitting on the Paasche hose is much smaller on the airbrush end and much larger on the compressor end. Canadian Tire had no compatible adapters, either. The website says the hose is 1/8", but it's more like 3/8" when I measure it. Am I measuring the wrong thing?

I had this same issue with my Talon when I first got it. I just took my hose and regulator to Lowes and got an adapter from the plumbing section for about $.75 and sealed it with plumbing tape.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I spent three days looking for one, finally managed to stack two adapters together to get the threading to fit. I naively didn't buy plumber's tape, so naturally the connection is leaky. Going to do that today.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

I initially forgot, too, and couldn't figure out why my PSI was dropping so much. Problem solved.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Not mine, but... 1:96 scale 8channel RC mustang :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSgRTPGYEQA

...and it loving flies! :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QwabcKUTuI

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Thoatse posted:

Not mine, but... 1:96 scale 8channel RC mustang :3:

...and it loving flies! :v:

:stare:

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat
I wish to own that little flying plane

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
That is insanely good.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
After liberally wrapping my gizmo in plumber's tape, it seems to almost not leak air at all, which means I finally tried out my airbrush today! Holy poo poo, the difference from the Mastercraft one is enormous, literally every function is faster and easier, including cleaning and filling up paint. Thank you everyone again for your help and specifically Bloody Hedgehog for the recommendation.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
No prob, glad to be of help! You'll have so much more fun with your new brush.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
I have some more new pictures of old models if no-one minds me sharing.

1:35 Tamiya Sherman - This was the first ever model I used an airbrush on. Must be about 6 years old now.

1:35 Dragon Panther - I always liked the rear deck

EDIT:

And this one:

big_g fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jan 13, 2017

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Drop dead gorgeous!

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

big_g posted:

1:35 Dragon :siren:Tiger - I:siren: always liked the rear deck

:argh:

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

For any of you that use Tamiya acrylic paint: where do you get it? Amazon has it way too expensive (like $6 not including shipping) and there isn't a physical model shop within, like, 50 miles of where I live that stocks it. I really like how it sprays (it's way nicer to spray than Model Air and way easier to clean out of an airbrush than MM enamels), but it's really hard to find a source that's not insanely expensive.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Triggerhappypilot posted:

For any of you that use Tamiya acrylic paint: where do you get it? Amazon has it way too expensive (like $6 not including shipping) and there isn't a physical model shop within, like, 50 miles of where I live that stocks it. I really like how it sprays (it's way nicer to spray than Model Air and way easier to clean out of an airbrush than MM enamels), but it's really hard to find a source that's not insanely expensive.

I haven't used Tamiya paints, but I have ordered a lot of other paint and supplies from Sprue Brothers and they have always been great to work with and the shipping is fast.

http://store.spruebrothers.com/category_s/1985.htm

Speaking of MM enamels, I wanted a variety of enamels so I ordered about 12 bottles of MM. I thought that all model master paints were enamels, but it turns out that there is also MM lacquer. The labels are clearly different, I just didn't pay attention :(

Does anybody have any good recommendations for lacquer or enamel primary bright colors for airbrushing? I have tons of earthy greens, browns, and grays, but very little in yellows, oranges, and zero purples or pinks.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

SkunkDuster posted:

Speaking of MM enamels, I wanted a variety of enamels so I ordered about 12 bottles of MM. I thought that all model master paints were enamels, but it turns out that there is also MM lacquer. The labels are clearly different, I just didn't pay attention :(

Does anybody have any good recommendations for lacquer or enamel primary bright colors for airbrushing? I have tons of earthy greens, browns, and grays, but very little in yellows, oranges, and zero purples or pinks.

The testors enamels are essentially the same thing as model master enamel, and they've got a billion colors. The quality on a few of the colors is meh, but they're dirt cheap and last a long time- I'm still spraying stuff I bought ~15 years ago.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
Who likes FW-190? Who likes weathering gone overboard?

Tons of things went wrong but on a whole it looks pretty rad.

More of the excitement! http://imgur.com/a/Uol3o

The kit is the Eduard 8175 with a canopy mask and small PE fret mostly for the cockpit.
The underside is done with blackbasing, although it doesn't show up very well in the pictures. The streaking is done with oil and the colors used are the new Vallejo RLM 74,75 and 76 (71.257, 71.258, 71.259). The dark gray RLM 75 is a bit too dark so it makes it difficult to tell from the green, but it looks better in reality under a good light. The kit is pretty good but if you build it closed the top panels will have problems fitting with the fuselage. But on the other hand the engine lacks a lot of detail so you'd probably want a resin one or the PE fret for it. I just added some wire and painted some detail on it.

Mister Dog
Dec 27, 2005

makka-setan posted:

Who likes FW-190? Who likes weathering gone overboard?

Tons of things went wrong but on a whole it looks pretty rad.

More of the excitement! http://imgur.com/a/Uol3o

The kit is the Eduard 8175 with a canopy mask and small PE fret mostly for the cockpit.
The underside is done with blackbasing, although it doesn't show up very well in the pictures. The streaking is done with oil and the colors used are the new Vallejo RLM 74,75 and 76 (71.257, 71.258, 71.259). The dark gray RLM 75 is a bit too dark so it makes it difficult to tell from the green, but it looks better in reality under a good light. The kit is pretty good but if you build it closed the top panels will have problems fitting with the fuselage. But on the other hand the engine lacks a lot of detail so you'd probably want a resin one or the PE fret for it. I just added some wire and painted some detail on it.

Count me in on both. Love me some WWII aeroplanes. Looks good, man. Nailed the engine and I think you did well with the weathering. Maybe a bit much with the chipping. Keeping it to angled surfaces and only the edges of panels creates a better look, imo.

Mister Dog fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 14, 2017

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

One of the modeling sites I subscribe to on my facebook feed posted a video of creating cargo packs and stuff for tanks out of modeling clay. It was two guys in the video and one guy was kind of the host and the other guy was creating the gear. This was a few weeks ago and now I can't find the video. Does anybody know which one I am talking about?

Also, I made some more Star Wars metal kits. These things are pretty fun!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

SkunkDuster posted:

Also, I made some more Star Wars metal kits. These things are pretty fun!

The tin snips make a great pair of sprue cutters, and the needle nose pliers are good. Cheaper than paying 10-12 just for the sprue cutters through Micromark.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Those Metal Earth kits are great, shame their tanks bear only a vague resemblance to the original.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Boomer The Cannon posted:

The tin snips make a great pair of sprue cutters, and the needle nose pliers are good. Cheaper than paying 10-12 just for the sprue cutters through Micromark.

I use these Hakko CHP cutters. For the cheap price, they are surprisingly good.

This mini pliers set has worked pretty well for me so far. I only use the two on the left. The cutters are garbage and I haven't found any use for the rounded pliers.

A small pin punch (1/16" or so) is my tool of choice for bending the tabs over. I try to avoid twisting them whenever possible as it makes for a weak joint. Drill bits are great for forming rounded pieces. If you don't have the right size bit, you can use a bit that is a bit undersized and wrap tape around it to bring it to the right diameter. I also cheat and use epoxy as a strengthener on questionable joints like the arms of the Tie Fighter, the legs and feet of the AT-AT and the rear fins and guns of the snowspeeder.

I don't have anything for tapered rounds. I've been kicking around the idea of finding somebody with a lathe to make me some steel rods with various tapers, then I start to wonder if that might be a little on the obsessive/crazy side.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

SkunkDuster posted:

One of the modeling sites I subscribe to on my facebook feed posted a video of creating cargo packs and stuff for tanks out of modeling clay. It was two guys in the video and one guy was kind of the host and the other guy was creating the gear. This was a few weeks ago and now I can't find the video. Does anybody know which one I am talking about?

I found the video I was looking for. I don't do tanks, but it is still a good watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WckO9qShoRA

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Decided to paint the 1:16 brass Stuka after all. There'd be way to much evidence of filing and sanding otherwise.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
What's the modeling line for WW1 plane rigging etc. called? The slightly stretchy one that stays taut after attaching?

VVV: Thanks!

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 17, 2017

alcyon
Mar 9, 2010

EZ Line

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I finished my giant t-rex robot kit. It was 1,400 pieces so it took me a couple hundred hours and a year to build. It is massive, well balanced, and highly flexible and poseable. I don't have a photobox, unfortunately, and the box it came in was unsuitable to serve as a backdrop.

Did I mention it's big? I kept a water bottle in there for scale. In that leaning forward pose, it measures 25" from nose to tail. The tail by itself is 16".

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kibner posted:

I finished my giant t-rex robot kit. It was 1,400 pieces so it took me a couple hundred hours and a year to build. It is massive, well balanced, and highly flexible and poseable. I don't have a photobox, unfortunately, and the box it came in was unsuitable to serve as a backdrop.

Did I mention it's big? I kept a water bottle in there for scale. In that leaning forward pose, it measures 25" from nose to tail. The tail by itself is 16".

The Kotobukiya Gojulas is an amazing kit from top to bottom. Nevermind the price :stare:.

Now get the Gojulas Ogre's standalone cannon pack and upgrade the sucker :unsmigghh:.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I picked up a cheapo air brush cleaning kit on Amazon for $20 and holy poo poo, it made a world of difference.

I've got a Bandai A-Wing I'm working on, here's some WIP. Once my MIG order arrives I'll finish it up.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Kibner posted:

I remember when you bought that. An amazing kit.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Yooper posted:

I've got a Bandai A-Wing I'm working on,

I'm not sure if it was mentioned yet, but Bandai just announed their AT AT in 1/144 will be available in March.

http://www.taghobby.com/?p=160735

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Greyhawk posted:

I'm not sure if it was mentioned yet, but Bandai just announed their AT AT in 1/144 will be available in March.

Excellent!

Though I wish it was in 1/48 to match the AT/ST.

Mystery Steve
Nov 9, 2006
Fun Shoe
Cool I'd love to build one with hatches and panels open like this.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Kotobukiya Gojulas is an amazing kit from top to bottom. Nevermind the price :stare:.

Now get the Gojulas Ogre's standalone cannon pack and upgrade the sucker :unsmigghh:.

I'm just ready to move on to something else now, tbh.

Greyhawk posted:

I remember when you bought that. An amazing kit.

The only real quibble I have with the kit is that the silver and gold parts get real dark when I shave them down. They seem to be made of a different material than the blue, gray, and dark gray parts. It is real noticeable because it's like 10 shades darker, no matter how careful I was. Painting those pieces would be the easiest quality improvement for the kit.

My next kit is probably going to be the giant robot scorpion (Death Stinger). Same scale as this Gojulas, but like a third of the parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Greyhawk posted:

wow i'm reading a thread about it on another forum and people are super unhappy with it being in 1/144.

I'm excited. I've been hesitant about the Zvezda Star Destroyer mainly because of size.

Please though, Bandai. 1/72 B-wing.