Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

angryrobots posted:

It's the same in the southern U.S.

And most techs that I've met are woefully undereducated.

There's a reason why there's a million and one AC companies down here in Florida. I said I can confirm that most texts are dumb as poo poo.

And I work in commercial and residential is even worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

So I had posted on Facebook trying to find a cheap desk chair. The metal base on mine has 3 of 4 welds broken, it's just a matter of time until it dumps me on my rear end. Which really sucks, it's a nice chair that's in good shape.

Someone that I've never met in person offered me a desk chair. We've been facebook friends for a bit, I went to rehab with a mutual friend a few years ago. Went over to get the chair.

"By the way, do you know anyone needing a washer and dryer?"
Me: Yeah, I've been looking for an affordable set myself. How much do you want, and is the dryer gas or electric?
"Oh, they're yours if you want them. Dryer's electric. I still use them all the time, just haven't hooked up my new ones yet. I'll let you know when you can get them, just promise you'll give them away instead of selling them whenever you replace them".

Score! Gave them a quick look, washer looks to be a late 80s/early 90s model, dryer is probably mid 90s. Both Kenmore, both basic models, both fullsize, so I know they'll have good parts availability for a long time, and I know I can fix them when they break.

All for free? Wow!

Edit: I am possibly going to buy a non running car that is in Canada for $600. I don't intend to tag or register the car in the US, what headaches could I expect to encounter moving it here? Transportation is already handled.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 13, 2017

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Enourmo posted:

Is it bad that I couldn't sleep last night due to visions of World War 3 beginning?

Seems only reasonable.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

So I had posted on Facebook trying to find a cheap desk chair. The metal base on mine has 3 of 4 welds broken, it's just a matter of time until it dumps me on my rear end. Which really sucks, it's a nice chair that's in good shape.

Someone that I've never met in person offered me a desk chair. We've been facebook friends for a bit, I went to rehab with a mutual friend a few years ago. Went over to get the chair.

"By the way, do you know anyone needing a washer and dryer?"
Me: Yeah, I've been looking for an affordable set myself. How much do you want, and is the dryer gas or electric?
"Oh, they're yours if you want them. Dryer's electric. I still use them all the time, just haven't hooked up my new ones yet. I'll let you know when you can get them, just promise you'll give them away instead of selling them whenever you replace them".

Score! Gave them a quick look, washer looks to be a late 80s/early 90s model, dryer is probably mid 90s. Both Kenmore, both basic models, both fullsize, so I know they'll have good parts availability for a long time, and I know I can fix them when they break.

You know, you my know someone in the area who has a welder. A lovely welder, but a welder nonetheless.
Admittedly, it is a bit of a haul from (north?) Plano to Euless, or vice versa.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Rhyno posted:

Edit: I am possibly going to buy a non running car that is in Canada for $600. I don't intend to tag or register the car in the US, what headaches could I expect to encounter moving it here? Transportation is already handled.

I'm proud of you

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Rhyno posted:

All for free? Wow!

Does it have fmvss stickers?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

ExplodingSims posted:

There's a reason why there's a million and one AC companies down here in Florida. I said I can confirm that most texts are dumb as poo poo.

And I work in commercial and residential is even worse.

To be fair, all the trades are terrible here. There is no pride or work ethic among electricians or plumbers, and no accountability either.

So I guess it should be expected that hvac follow suit, being a skilled job that should require knowledge of both electrical and plumbing, besides specialized knowledge.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

nm posted:

Does it have fmvss stickers?

I don't even know what those are. It's another Mazdaspeed6. It went zoom zoom BOOM and the guy is washing his hands of it. Body appears to be in far better shape than mine (parking lots suck) and it looks like all my issues could be solved by using this as a parts car. And I could most likely do a part out and scrap the rest and come up even in the end. I've never bought a car from Canada, I'm just concerned that we'd get to the border and customs would cut the car apart looking for drugs.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
As long as you have the right paperwork to drive it across the border I don't see there being any issues. Sawzall the gutted hulk into parts small enough to pick up and drop it as scrapmetal at your favorite scrapyard, I still have the titles from a few cars I've parted out that way because they didn't even want them. Less than half a dollar bill or less than half a chassis is no longer a dollar bill or car, as far as the banks and scrapyards are concerned.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Some of you may recall back in July I got a pretty nasty highway speeding ticket (31mph over instead of 21, due to a totally inactive 55mph work zone). I was not cited for violating a work zone, just exceeding safe speeds for conditions - sunny and clear, five lanes, no traffic. Unfortunately the 25+ meant insta-point on the license, $500+ fine and no traffic school eligibility. After a bunch of research I couldn't find much on work zone MPH intricacies so I hired a ticket lawyer.

Case was up today, the office called me and the results are: Fine cut in half (this alone covered attorney fee), point is still applied but I am now eligible for traffic school to erase it. Sounds like they adjusted either the speed limit or my top speed. The girl said it was a tricky one and the "officer showed up fully ready to testify". A pretty fair judgement overall, as I was speeding fair and square... technically they could have suspended my license for 30+ :v:

Pay attention to your goddamn temporary posted limits kids. Also, be super nice and compliant to the officer (keys out, hands at 10/2, etc) and don't talk any poo poo so he cuts you a break, while not saying anything beyond the bare minimum.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Just saw that video of president Obama giving Joe Biden that medal and that was pretty touching. I disagree on a lot of points of Obama's presidency but Joe Biden is a very likable dude and has been a bright light during these two terms. He is just a genuine person who really wants to make the world a better place.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Just saw that video of president Obama giving Joe Biden that medal and that was pretty touching. I disagree on a lot of points of Obama's presidency but Joe Biden is a very likable dude and has been a bright light during these two terms. He is just a genuine person who really wants to make the world a better place.

If they let him drive his corvette around as vice president and president, he probably would have ran and won against trump saving us all from nuclear annihilation.

YOU SHOULD HAVE LET HIM DRIVE HIS CORVETTE, JERKS! :argh:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
On the subjects of speeding tickets I think I mentioned mine last summer. Got on the freeway, was doing 85+ by the end of the ramp, pulled over before the next exit. Pulled off the freeway, being polite and accommodating to the officer got me a warning for speeding and a fix it ticket for no front plate.

As you say, be nice to cops.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Also, be super nice and compliant to the officer (keys out, hands at 10/2, etc) and don't talk any poo poo so he cuts you a break, while not saying anything beyond the bare minimum.

I don't care what all the lawyers say (you know the ones that say barely open your window, keep asking the cop if you're free to go, etc), I've always tried to be very polite to cops. The side of the road is not the place to cop an attitude with law enforcement (or anyone), and if you disagree with the ticket, the courtroom is where you should sort it out. I never consent to searches (never have, never will, I'm a pretty private person), but beyond that it's yes sir, no sir, I'm sorry sir, where do I sign sir? Thank you sir, be safe out there.\

I've worked with a lot of cops over the years... one worked off-duty as security at a grocery store I worked at. I was chatting with him one night after the store closed and after I'd clocked out, and he was finishing up an accident report. I asked him what happened, he told me the situation, and that the person who was at fault immediately copped an attitude. So he started finding more and more reasons to write tickets. Oh, your inspection is expired. Oh, you don't have your insurance card? Well yes ma'am, I COULD look it up online, but that takes time, and you're supposed to keep a copy with you. And going by the damage and lack of skid marks, and the broken cell phone on the floor, it seems you were distracted, so here's another one for distracted driving. And by the way, the witnesses stated you didn't signal before pulling out, so here's a ticket for failure to signal.

He was initially going to just cite her as being at fault and ignore the expired inspection, and he'd already looked up her insurance, so he knew she was insured. But the law still states you have to carry the physical paper ID card. I think he said he wound up giving her 6 tickets. He knew all but 1-2 would get dropped in court, but she pulled a nasty attitude, so he returned the favor.

Rhyno posted:

All for free? Wow!

Yeah. She's a regular on Freecycle, Nextdoor, etc. She got this set (and the set replacing this set) for free, and anything she gets for free, she eventually passes on for free.

Darchangel posted:

You know, you my know someone in the area who has a welder. A lovely welder, but a welder nonetheless.
Admittedly, it is a bit of a haul from (north?) Plano to Euless, or vice versa.

I left Plano last year. I'm in far SE Garland now, kinda where Garland, Rowlett, and Sunnyvale meet.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jan 13, 2017

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I don't even know what those are. It's another Mazdaspeed6. It went zoom zoom BOOM and the guy is washing his hands of it. Body appears to be in far better shape than mine (parking lots suck) and it looks like all my issues could be solved by using this as a parts car. And I could most likely do a part out and scrap the rest and come up even in the end. I've never bought a car from Canada, I'm just concerned that we'd get to the border and customs would cut the car apart looking for drugs.

You can only import engines that have an EPA sticker on them or in the engine bay. not all CDM cars will. If it doesn't, you would need a letter from the manufacturer stating the emisssions equipment is identical to the US model. for the rest, you might have to cut the car in half in order to import it as parts.

Really, the border between 2 so similar countries is so needlessly complicated. Canada accepts the NHTSA stickers, but the US didn't accept the canadian one until the 2012 model year.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
RE: cops & traffic stops; after two incredibly bad experiences with traffic stops* during which I was nothing but polite I don't give them any more than I'm required to by law. Window down, license and proof of insurance, sign the ticket, ask if I'm free to go. That's it. No small talk and no talking about what they saw or allege I did.

I'm a big proponent of the idea that if you want respect you have to show it first, and pretty much every interaction I've had with law enforcement they've shown me nothing but contempt and/or acted like I was a second-class citizen compared with them.

* - 1) two cops pulled out of a parking lot right in front of me requiring a crash stop to avoid t-boning them, pulled me over, reamed me out for the better part of a half hour and threatened to shoot me on sight if they ever encountered me again. Which has done wonders for my anxiety when I see blue & red lights in my rear mirros. Oh - and their department stonewalled my complaint until the dashcam footage was rolled over, then closed the investigation due to "lack of evidence."
2) routine stop after some old-timer changed lanes right in front of me doing at least 15 under the limit, officer said I was "following too closely" which I countered with "he cut me off." Cop got super pissed and threatened to arrest me on fabricated charges because I told him what I was going to do before I did it - ie, "My wallet is in a side pocket of my pants, I am going to reach for it with my right hand - is that OK?"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Powershift posted:

You can only import engines that have an EPA sticker on them or in the engine bay. not all CDM cars will. If it doesn't, you would need a letter from the manufacturer stating the emisssions equipment is identical to the US model. for the rest, you might have to cut the car in half in order to import it as parts.

Really, the border between 2 so similar countries is so needlessly complicated. Canada accepts the NHTSA stickers, but the US didn't accept the canadian one until the 2012 model year.

Hmmm. I shot an email off to a transport company that does Canada to US frequently to see what they can tell me. Really I just need to get it into the US as I can get it back here with no trouble at all.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Oh trust, I had my bad experience with a local sheriff back when I was like 15 and out on a bicycle with a friend. He thought we were truant (we weren't at all) and spent the better part of thirty minutes doing a full pat-down/search and giving us a profanity-laced cussing about our life choices and that of our parents. It was totally bizarre, and when my friend's mom called the sheriff's office to make a formal complaint they shuffled her around until she gave up. That whole experience taught me to play nice and keep quiet not out of respect to the system or the officer, but because the both of them can and will easily gently caress your day up with no repercussions no matter how much you plead your case to him.

Overall, my interactions with law enforcement in a motorized vehicle have been largely positive... like I said, the chippy who issued me this ticket was pretty nice and did cut me a break. I am also blonde, blue eyed and white as gently caress which sadly factors into the equation. However, I also keep my vehicles clean inside and out, never let the tags/insurance lapse, obsessively maintain my turn signals/lights and am polite bordering-on but not quite apologetic when pulled over.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
gently caress cops.

e: Sheriff's deputies are cool though

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Once had a cop to threaten to arrest me because I accidentally spun my Taurus' tires coming away from a stoplight in pouring rear end rain. I got through it keeping my hands planted on the wheel, head down and just yes-sir-no-sirring until he calmed down a little.

Cops in general need to calm the gently caress down about 900%.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Powershift posted:

If they let him drive his corvette around as vice president and president, he probably would have ran and won against trump saving us all from nuclear annihilation.

YOU SHOULD HAVE LET HIM DRIVE HIS CORVETTE, JERKS! :argh:

He didn't want to because he had just lost his son and it was all too much

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

funny Star Wars parody posted:

He didn't want to because he had just lost his son and it was all too much

Joe Biden is one of the rare exceptions to the rule all politicans are pieces of poo poo.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Joe Biden was generally always one of the poorest senators (this means he was merely upper middle class). He didn't take the train to DC because he thought it was good press -- he couldn't afford two loving houses with one in DC.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

You Am I posted:

You know there are Australian Ford Fairlane hearses in the UK running the Falcon straight six. You can have a bit of Aussie under your bonnet. Just sayin'

The fact you've mentioned hearses just reminds me I want to make a horror themed diner with a hearse as the taxi. Heart Attack Grill but cheesy horror themed and with goth waitresses :allears:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

GG, 10pm and it's 39.8C

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Closest thing I have had to an interaction with a cop since I arrived in the US was my driving test. In Mass they used to be done by State Troopers but now it is a civilian job. However a lot of the examiners are ex State Troopers who used to do the driving exams and when it changed they quit being State Troopers to keep doing it. So of course I get a screamer who just shouts profanity enhanced comments along with instructions. The best part was he would has a question and then immediately scream for me to not answer it. It was an interesting 7 minutes to say the least before he signed my learners permit and threw it down into the passenger footwell before a final parting shot of why was someone who knew how to drive wasting his time taking the test.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

eighty-four merc posted:

gently caress cops.

Well, that's one way to get out of a ticket, I suppose.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

GG, 10pm and it's 39.8C

Geez. I think the highest I've ever been in was about 45C. We had to shuffle animals around the shelter because our A/C units were all dying. :[

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I don't care what all the lawyers say (you know the ones that say barely open your window, keep asking the cop if you're free to go, etc), I've always tried to be very polite to cops. The side of the road is not the place to cop an attitude with law enforcement (or anyone), and if you disagree with the ticket, the courtroom is where you should sort it out. I never consent to searches (never have, never will, I'm a pretty private person), but beyond that it's yes sir, no sir, I'm sorry sir, where do I sign sir? Thank you sir, be safe out there.\
That's the point, really. You can be perfectly civil and polite without giving an inch.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

GG, 10pm and it's 39.8C

gently caress that.

We had a low of 95f (35c) one night, it was humid too and drat miserable. Had a (10 MW iirc) substation transformer die cause the cooling fans quit.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Just found out one of my best friends that I had fallen out with was shot to death on Wednesday.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

BigPaddy posted:

Closest thing I have had to an interaction with a cop since I arrived in the US was my driving test. In Mass they used to be done by State Troopers but now it is a civilian job.

I took my driving test in MA when they still were Staties, and I got a motor officer. Guy shows up for my driving test in mirror shined thigh high riding boots. Said maybe 10 words to me the whole time, most of which were "turn right here." My driving test in western MA in 1996 was:

Exit the DMV and turn right
turn right
turn right
turn right on a yield
turn right into the parking lot.

Pass.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

GG, 10pm and it's 39.8C

It was a single degree C this morning when I cycled to work in the snow. By the time I'd gotten here there was a nice snowdrift on my crotch.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Just found out one of my best friends that I had fallen out with was shot to death on Wednesday.

Jesus what even is your life

Sorry to hear man :rip:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I left Plano last year. I'm in far SE Garland now, kinda where Garland, Rowlett, and Sunnyvale meet.

Yeah, that's a bit farther. :)

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Enourmo posted:

Cops in general need to calm the gently caress down about 900%.

If it were only that easy.

I've got some sympathy for cops. Everyone is armed to the teeth, almost every interaction they have with someone is going to be negative or cause that person to have any number of degrees of a bad day (from "sign here for the ticket I am giving you for speeding" to "Ma'am, I'm sorry but your son is dead"). I don't know that the human psyche is capable of processing the overt negativity they go through every day.

They are trained to be suspicious and extremely observant, to be on alert, coupled with the fact that everyone is watching you with a camera and just waiting for you to make a mistake, which makes me wonder if the brain just eventually turns that into full, flat out paranoia. Add in an unhealthy dose of "seeing the end result of the bad things humans do to another" and they probably are in a constant state of PTSD.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

cops are more trained in shooting their guns than they are trained in deescalating various scenarios

shockingly this leads to them being jumpy and shooty

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

cops are more trained in shooting their guns than they are trained in deescalating various scenarios

And surprisingly, also results in a lot of Military members who join the cops being fired for trying to deescalate dangerous scenarios.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jesus what even is your life

Sorry to hear man :rip:

shot dead in a goddamned dark alley

Happy new year

nm
Jan 28, 2008

This is true, but remember that cops are notoriously poor shots.
The biggest issue with police training is it all seems designed to scare the poo poo out of officers about everyone (except other cops.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

i continue to look forward to the eventual civil uprising against our brutish oppressors

• Locked thread