Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

SeANMcBAY posted:

I just uninstalled Gears of War 4 since it's a bad game and it apparently botched the uninstall and is still taking up a ton of space on my system. What can I do to remove safely remove all the data? It's not showing up as an installed program on control panel or under storage settings.

Go to its folder on the hard drive, and delete it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

fishmech posted:

Go to its folder on the hard drive, and delete it.

It's not clear where Windows Store apps are stored. By default, you want C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\. \WindowsApps\ is a hidden directory, and users (not even admin users) don't have permissions to it, so you'll need to give yourself permissions by right-clicking on the directory, going into the security tab, and assigning yourself permissions there.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

There used to be a good metro style Google chrome app back in Win8 but they got rid of it I guess. Does anyone know of a good metro style internet browser? Does edge allow for metro style ui?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

jokes posted:

There used to be a good metro style Google chrome app back in Win8 but they got rid of it I guess. Does anyone know of a good metro style internet browser? Does edge allow for metro style ui?

If you're referring to "full screen, touch friendly" you'll probably want Edge with Tablet Mode turned on.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I like gears 4 but it's my first gears. Horde mode online is a fun time sink.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I gave my account permissions through the security tab and I can see into the WindowsApps folder but it still is saying "access denied" when I try to delete the Gears 4 folder or right click to try to disable read only.

Any ideas? I'd really like to lose this 80GB or worthless HD space.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 12, 2017

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Well, this sounds like a quality update. :waycool:

can someone tell me how to get on to the "stable" branch? thx in advance!

xamphear posted:

Disable the Windows Update service. Works on all versions.
Disabling windows services is not as nice as it was on 7, as I found out. Expect cortana and other UWP stuff to break in bad & undiagnosable ways if you do. If you have pro just use gpedit to set updates to notify before downloading and install.

You get bugged about updates constantly (including defender definition updates which happen almost every day), but ok whatever, that way I actually do them once a few days have passed. But this way my PC doesn't restart on its own, and I get to see how bad the patch is gonna be before I take it.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

jokes posted:

Chrome Metro was exactly the same as Chrome desktop but fullscreen to account for Windows 8 not quite having worked out the whole hybrid desktop/tablet thing like 10 did.

But yeah, just use Edge. If you've kept 10 updated then it's actually been improved a lot since release and is good enough to use as a daily driver.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So, malwarebytes blocks cdn.discordapp.com whenever I change between servers..why? i'm addin that to my web exclusions cause there's no reason for this to happen

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Okay so Edge isn't bad for touch devices. I'd like to be able to remove certain UI elements like the ever-present Send to OneNote nonsense that's in every single windows app but I'm surprised Microsoft managed to beat chrome at something.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

jokes posted:

Okay so Edge isn't bad for touch devices. I'd like to be able to remove certain UI elements like the ever-present Send to OneNote nonsense that's in every single windows app but I'm surprised Microsoft managed to beat chrome at something.

https://www.reddit.com/r/discordapp/comments/5nj06k/why_is_this_happening/

It's either the overlay or something on their end.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Huh..turns out I was on Malwarebytes 2.2 when i should be on Malwarebytes 3. welp, glad to have that corrected. it's got a weird menu.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

How can I stop windows from installing and block the pending KB3213986 update? It borks gaming on multi-monitor systems.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Deviant posted:

How can I stop windows from installing and block the pending KB3213986 update? It borks gaming on multi-monitor systems.

1) one-time fix: Get the show or hide updates tool, hide the update you don't want.

2) permanent:

Klyith posted:

If you have pro just use gpedit to set updates to notify before downloading and install.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Deviant posted:

Is there even a single report of that actually happening? Or is that based on a clickbait headline.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's based on Microsoft.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

As a 1 person piece of evidence, that didn't break my multi monitor setup.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...
The patch notes from microsoft said "users may experience...", that does not mean all systems are affected. It is probably an issue that only affects certain specific system configurations. They wouldn't release the update if it had an issue like that affecting all systems.

Anecdotally I also have KB3213986 installed now and I have continued gaming with a fullscreen game on one monitor and other stuff on the other monitor, no issues with that on my system.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...

spit on my clit posted:

Huh..turns out I was on Malwarebytes 2.2 when i should be on Malwarebytes 3. welp, glad to have that corrected. it's got a weird menu.

I'm on MB3. Tangentially related but I've been getting alot of bad_pool_header BSODs lately and spent the last 3 days troubleshooting drivers until I ran WhoCrashed and it looks like Malwarebytes Web Protection module (mwac.sys) is the problem or is related to the problem. I'm BSODing shortly after blocking a website (ironically when trawling google for driver updates). Running it without Web Protection to see if I can go 1 day without a BSOD.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The worst thing about Windows 10: That loving "Updates have been installed" notification, appearing regardless of how the machine was shut down to complete the installation.
I clicked the ’Restart to install updates" button, no loving wonder updates were installed?!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I dunno man, making changes seems like a pretty reasonable thing to notify users about. It's no 'Windows Defender scanned your machine and it was ok!!' every day until you tell it to knock that off

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I gave my account permissions through the security tab and I can see into the WindowsApps folder but it still is saying "access denied" when I try to delete the Gears 4 folder or right click to try to disable read only.

Any ideas? I'd really like to lose this 80GB or worthless HD space.

If anyone is curious I finally fixed this by booting into a different OS and used Paragon NTFS to delete the file on my Windows drive.

It's apparently almost impossible to mess with the WindowsApps folder no matter what permissions are set. Thanks Microsoft.:thumbsup:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What I hate is the window that pops up over all other windows saying "updates are available" and there's only one button to hit which launches their metro(?) update app. I can close the metro update app and not update my system until I want but that first window is just so annoying.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

My favourite is the "Updates were installed! Click here for more information" and when you click it just opens up Settings where it says "We installed some updates".

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Boris Galerkin posted:

What I hate is the window that pops up over all other windows saying "updates are available" and there's only one button to hit which launches their metro(?) update app. I can close the metro update app and not update my system until I want but that first window is just so annoying.

I don't think I've ever seen that. Weird.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

SeANMcBAY posted:

If anyone is curious I finally fixed this by booting into a different OS and used Paragon NTFS to delete the file on my Windows drive.

It's apparently almost impossible to mess with the WindowsApps folder no matter what permissions are set. Thanks Microsoft.:thumbsup:

Looks like only the SYSTEM user has modify permissions to that folder. The easiest solution would be to get psexec from Sysinternals.com and start Command Prompt or Notepad as SYSTEM user.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Re: Gears 4 or other UWP games being left around after uninstall -- I'd first look in the windows store app to see if there's a different uninstall option in there. It's possible that the standard uninstall in settings was just a per-user remove or something.

If there's nothing in windows store, you can probably use powershell to remove it. In an admin powershell window, these commands:
code:
Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers  | Sort-Object -Property Name | Select-Object -Property Name

Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | Sort-Object -Property DisplayName | Select-Object -Property DisplayName
will show you a list of all installed / provisioned apps, and these:
code:
Get-AppxPackage -Name "PackageName" | Remove-AppxPackage

Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | Where-Object DisplayName -In "PackageName" | Remove-ProvisionedAppxPackage -Online
will remove them. Hopefully even if the uninstaller is leaving all that junk on your drive, the UWP system still has the ability to get rid of it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Great, build 15007 blue screens my laptop after the screen has been shut for an uncertain amount of time.

Event viewer only shows the following:

The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load for the device ACPI\ACPI0008\2&daba3ff&4.

and

The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load for the device HID\SMO91D0&Col01\5&1d42b6ad&1&0000.

I updated all the drivers (which shouldnt matter since it didn't used to do this), but no deal.

Rude.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick
From the release notes, it looks like both the recent builds, 15002 and 15007 should only be used by people who are comfortable with terrible things happening to their systems. Seems like these were rushed out just to satisfy insiders who were impatient for a new build after the holiday quiet period.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Did they remove SMS sync from Cortana or something? It stopped working and not a single SMS app shows up in cortana on my phone anymore

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Did they remove SMS sync from Cortana or something? It stopped working and not a single SMS app shows up in cortana on my phone anymore

I tried Cortana on my Android phone for a while and eventually had to remove her because she was causing hard reboots when notifications were popping, even if notification pushing was disabled. :shrug:

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
In the same vein, is there a good lightweight app pairing for Android + Windows that'll pop your phone notifications on the desktop?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Pushbullet or MightyText are the usual ones. There's also Join.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
edit: Nope, turns out I was a paranoid gently caress

spit on my clit fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 15, 2017

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

hooah posted:

Pushbullet or MightyText are the usual ones. There's also Join.

Thanks man, trying them out.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Now that I have a new NVMe SSD and brand new system, I'm finally taking the plunge and doing a proper UEFI system install. Except... Everywhere I'm reading says Microsoft's media creation tool creates BIOS/MBR bootable media instead of UEFI? Considering this is just the bootable media, does it actually matter? It seems to me like the installer should be able to just format the new boot drive as GPT and create the UEFI partitions regardless of what it booted on... Unless it's a limitation of UEFI booting in legacy mode that I'm not aware of.

Not that using rufus to create a bootable USB drive is especially hard, I'm just wondering if Microsoft would really just disregard this functionality with their media creation tool.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

No, MS haven't created an install that doesn't work on all modern PCs.
Fairly sure you're thinking of the [now defunct] Windows USB/DVD Download Tool, which did that. The download tool will create a USB for windows 10 that will just work.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Khablam posted:

[now defunct] Windows USB/DVD Download Tool

Yeah, that's what the guides I was looking into seemed to be using. I guess those are the results show up when googling "Windows 10 UEFI" because you don't actually need to specifically do anything to target UEFI now.

This does look marvelously simplified from the early days of Windows 10 -- just create media USB, enter Windows 7 key, done. :science:

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

What's the advantage of using tools to make Windows install USB drives? I have just copy pasted everything to freshly formatted drive since Win7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

SinineSiil posted:

What's the advantage of using tools to make Windows install USB drives? I have just copy pasted everything to freshly formatted drive since Win7.

You kind of need something to boot from and make the initial Windows install to that freshly formatted drive.

Unless you mean literally copying an existing Windows directory (:psyduck:), in which case the advantage is that it's not a bad idea to start from a fresh Windows install from time to time?