Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

shirts and skins posted:

Ahahah everyone's having fun dunking on the Chargers

https://twitter.com/MenInBlazers/status/819609582175715330
Hahaha solid comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Kalli posted:

The thing is that piece takes as gospel that PSL sales will be a massive financial boon for the two teams when the Rams already have an attendance problem and actively dicked over the previous PSL owners and for the Chargers, who are likely not in the top half dozen teams for fanbases in LA. Who's dropping 4-10k on these PSL's exactly ?

I'm with you on this. Teams seem overvalued and a lot of the math seems fuzzy. They could be the team the bubble pops on, which I think would be a good thing.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Febreeze posted:

So here's a good article about the monetary reasons behind the move

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/san-diego-chargers-los-angeles-move-relocation-011217?cmpid=feed:-sports-MSNcom

It's a depressing read, honestly
Pro-click and read. loving sad really.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://twitter.com/SMU_Football/status/819632614831226880

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
The Chargers deserve every bit of criticism they get.

The San Diego Chargers weren't particularly well run, but at least people agreed that they should exist

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Henker posted:

As someone who doesn't watch or follow football (this is on my radar because I'm from San Diego), what are the tangible or even theoretical benefits of the move? Or is it pretty much some old rich dude throwing a temper tantrum because SD taxpayers refused to buy him a shiny new stadium, so he took his ball and went home?

LA hs a bigger population and more money than SD. When the Rams moved to LA, Chargers owner Dean Spanos panicked and wanted to relocate as well in order to ensure the LA Rams didn't cut into his market share. SD tried to convince him to stay by offering to help fund a renovation of their existing stadium, Spanos saw $$ and asked for more than anyone in SD was willing to give.

The move is a transparent way to increase the value if brand purely by association, rather than by fielding a better team or building a stadium. In reality, ticket sales are gonna tank and his upcoming deal with the Rams to share an arena will probably see his cut of PSLs/advertising plummet.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
i also enjoy the fact that the rams had a year head start on making inroads in the LA market

idiot dean

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

chupacabraTERROR posted:

i also enjoy the fact that the rams had a year head start on making inroads in the LA market

idiot dean

i'm not sure what they did this year could qualify as making inroads

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Zurreco posted:

In reality, ticket sales are gonna tank and his upcoming deal with the Rams to share an arena will probably see his cut of PSLs/advertising plummet.

Why would he only get a "cut" of PSLs? Every seat in the house can be sold twice, once for Rams games and once for Chargers games. The only time they ever have to split revenue is when the Chargers play the Rams at home.

The real question is whether that article Febreeze posted is correct that they'll have no problem selling out the PSLs and luxury boxes on day 1 for the Chargers in LA. If they do, that money so massively dwarfs game-day ticket sales that he could have the stadium half-empty for every game and not sweat it.

If the article is wrong, though, we'll know pretty quickly that this was a massive boondoggle.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Congrats to San Diego for getting rid of the worst part of their city. That includes the man at the train station who spit on me and called an 8 year old girl a bitch, and the large pile of dirty socks and needles on the side of the road.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
*busts into thread in monster truck*

guys, that logo though

*slowly reverses back out with blinkers on*

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

corn on the cop posted:

Presumably there are a lot of Gurley and Goff jerseys gathering dust in people's closets right now, so kind of

Not That Into You
Oct 29, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

The real question is whether that article Febreeze posted is correct that they'll have no problem selling out the PSLs and luxury boxes on day 1 for the Chargers in LA. If they do, that money so massively dwarfs game-day ticket sales that he could have the stadium half-empty for every game and not sweat it.

If the article is wrong, though, we'll know pretty quickly that this was a massive boondoggle.

Are there any examples of franchises selling PSLs where the team is not popular/successful? The article talks about the 49ers, but those PSLs were sold right around the time when the team was going to superbowls and NFC championship games.

Not That Into You fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 12, 2017

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

corn on the cop posted:

West Bromwich Albion is playing a more exciting brand of football than the LA Rams did. Probably scoring more too.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Leperflesh posted:

Why would he only get a "cut" of PSLs? Every seat in the house can be sold twice, once for Rams games and once for Chargers games. The only time they ever have to split revenue is when the Chargers play the Rams at home.

Stan will likely get a cut of all of the Chargers PSLs since he owns the stadium, plus many boxes aren't sold to season tickets to a team, but as tickets to every event (atleast in Staples Center which is a good example of multi-use stadiums).

The truth is that which ever team does better in the short term will probably build a bigger following, but the Chargers would have to be very successful to build up one larger than the one they are leaving behind. Plus, in LA the chargers aren't coming in as outsiders, they were already an acceptable "local" choice before the rams moved back, I cant say that they had a following anywhere near any of the existing major LA teams

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

I just heard the news and wanted to rush over to give my condolences to Ross (if he still posts here). :rip:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

If you guys think this is bad wait until a team is forcefully relocated to London

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

If you guys think this is bad wait until a team is forcefully relocated to London

It's gonna happen, there's no longer a shred of anything resembling doubt in my mind

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

a neat cape posted:

The amount of people crying on the radio today is depressing.

its pathetic, actually

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Actually this will be awesome.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Chris James 2 posted:

It's gonna happen, there's no longer a shred of anything resembling doubt in my mind
It will be the Chargers in 5 years

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/Aces/status/819643603089666048

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 12, 2017

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Roger Gooddell is gonna see how bad he can screw over a franchise in a decade.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

*busts into thread in monster truck*

guys, that logo though

*slowly reverses back out with blinkers on*

NFL memes

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Honestly the Stub Hub Center looks like it'd be a pretty fun place to watch a football game.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Rick posted:

Honestly the Stub Hub Center looks like it'd be a pretty fun place to watch a football game.

you have to drive to Carson though

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:
https://twitter.com/himynameisAO/status/819662665224175616

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:
https://twitter.com/RaidersBeat/status/819662749525483520

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i will unironcally switch to rooting for the raiders the second they land in vegas

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Unless Schefter knows where the last $650M is coming from, he's overconfident. Sheldon Adelson is a tremendous rear end in a top hat, it's not likely he'll cough up that cash for nothing, while the Davis family isn't exactly excited about giving up their control of the team. One or the other has to budge and we've seen no sign of that yet.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

https://twitter.com/xmasape/status/819382187111890945

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

Leperflesh posted:

Unless Schefter knows where the last $650M is coming from, he's overconfident. Sheldon Adelson is a tremendous rear end in a top hat, it's not likely he'll cough up that cash for nothing, while the Davis family isn't exactly excited about giving up their control of the team. One or the other has to budge and we've seen no sign of that yet.

Don't put too much faith into public posturing and negotiations. It's going to happen.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

warcrimes posted:

Don't put too much faith into public posturing and negotiations. It's going to happen.

I think the public statements to the effect of "it's going to happen" are a big part of the posturing and grasping for negotiation leverage, actually.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

At least it wont look empty on tv when only 20k people show up

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

got any sevens posted:

At least it wont look empty on tv when only 20k people show up

It'll still fill up, just not with Chargers fans

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

I think the public statements to the effect of "it's going to happen" are a big part of the posturing and grasping for negotiation leverage, actually.

The people saying Vegas Raiders said LA Chargers. It's gonna happen

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Rick posted:

Maybe if it was the Pro Bowl or some preseason bullshit, yeah.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I mean, I think it's like a solid 90% chance of it happening, but the chargers to LA has been an option Spanos had in his pocket for a year, with no remaining obstacles whatsoever. The Raiders to Vegas deal is not yet inked, which means it's not a sure thing.

But this is a football forum so I guess believing really hard in "sure things" irrespective of any sort of actual rational analysis is par for the course.

If it does happen, I expect someone will assure me that they were right all along that it was a sure thing, too.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Got around to reading some official press releases/PR and,

WHO WE ARE

THIS ISN'T ANY CITY. THIS IS LOS ANGELES.

LA IS PEOPLE AND PLACES AND PASSION AND PRIDE.
ANY RESPECT GIVEN, MUST BE EARNED.

YOU SHOW UP WITH A DREAM.
THEN WORK HARD TO MAKE IT COME TRUE.

SO, WE FIGHT.
EVERY PRACTICE.
EVERY PLAY.
EVERY SINGLE INCH.
ON EVERY FIELD.
IN EVERY NEIGHBORHOOD.
FOR ALL OF LA.

WE WEAR LA ON OUR CHEST.
WE FIGHT FOR IT WITH OUR HEART.

FIGHT FOR LA.

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Tzen posted:

Got around to reading some official press releases/PR and,

WHO WE ARE

THIS ISN'T ANY CITY. THIS IS LOS ANGELES.

LA IS PEOPLE AND PLACES AND PASSION AND PRIDE.
ANY RESPECT GIVEN, MUST BE EARNED.

YOU SHOW UP WITH A DREAM.
THEN WORK HARD TO MAKE IT COME TRUE.

SO, WE FIGHT.
EVERY PRACTICE.
EVERY PLAY.
EVERY SINGLE INCH.
ON EVERY FIELD.
IN EVERY NEIGHBORHOOD.
FOR ALL OF LA.

WE WEAR LA ON OUR CHEST.
WE FIGHT FOR IT WITH OUR HEART.