Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
I know this isn't immediate, but back during the primary a ton of people I knew who were still very sad about Bernie were going apeshit at Hillary specifically for not picking Booker as her VP, claiming it was solid proof she was the ultimate mega-racist.

There's a lot of people, both liberal and leftist, who really like Cory Booker simply because of the sheer force of his charisma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Are you talking about Cory "Bain Capital" Booker?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Meh.

People love Joe "Citibank" Biden supporter of the same bills that people got super mad at Hillary about.

But since he's able to be a gaff machine and funny guy people let him cook.

biracial bear for uncut posted:

On the subject of an earlier thread topic of white people stealing music from black people, I heard on the radio during my commute that Don Henley (old white guy that should have retired during one of the last times The Eagles retired) is planning to put together and release an R&B album.

:wtf:

I mean...

http://www.complex.com/music/2016/11/taylor-swift-new-album-hip-hop-r-and-b-sounds

quote:

"Taylor is always looking at ways to grow as an artist and really wants to try something different and unexpected for the next album. She's not afraid of experimenting so she is working with a lot of different faces to see if she suits a new sound," a source revealed, according to The Sun. "The remix of her song Bad Blood had a less pop vibe—especially [with] Kendrick Lamar featured on it—and was a big hit, so she thinks her fans will like her going in this direction."

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Dexo posted:

Meh.

People love Joe "Citibank" Biden supporter of the same bills that people got super mad at Hillary about.

But since he's able to be a gaff machine and funny guy people let him cook.

Yeah, well, part of that's charisma, part of that is sexism, part of that is that the vice presidency doesn't have many responsibilities and is separate enough from the legislature that people forget about your record. The bottom line, though, is, Biden's political career is mostly over, and he's probably never going to be president. Booker might have a chance, but boy, does he have to make a big break from poo poo like this.

Aerox posted:

I know this isn't immediate, but back during the primary a ton of people I knew who were still very sad about Bernie were going apeshit at Hillary specifically for not picking Booker as her VP, claiming it was solid proof she was the ultimate mega-racist.

There's a lot of people, both liberal and leftist, who really like Cory Booker simply because of the sheer force of his charisma.

Yeah, I don't remember that specifically, but it strikes me as Bernouts grasping at straws. It's a pretty flimsy argument.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Slight difference there in that the reports are at least making it look like she is collaborating with people (and presumably actually getting some creative input on how to do it halfway correctly) instead of just going off to a recording studio somewhere to copy what other people are doing and play it off as her own thing.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Who What Now posted:

There's a shocking amount of us!

(I live in Holt, for example)

You live in a 40k Commissar?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Majorian posted:

Yeah, well, part of that's charisma, part of that is sexism, part of that is that the vice presidency doesn't have many responsibilities and is separate enough from the legislature that people forget about your record. The bottom line, though, is, Biden's political career is mostly over, and he's probably never going to be president. Booker might have a chance, but boy, does he have to make a big break from poo poo like this.

Fair enough. but man did Booker try so so so so so so so hard to have his Obama speech moment at this past convention.

He was really really going for it.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Dexo posted:

Fair enough. but man did Booker try so so so so so so so hard to have his Obama speech moment at this past convention.

He was really really going for it.

Yeah, he gave a good one. I'm not saying he can't make the pivot, either - even if he remains in the pocket of Wall Street or whatever, he can at least pay more lip service to economic justice, and who knows. Maybe he'll have a chance at the presidency someday. But at the moment, stuff like that drugs bill vote doesn't help. I hope, for his political career's sake, and our sake, that he sees which way the wind is blowing.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
What was his reason for voting against it?

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Artificer posted:

What was his reason for voting against it?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
It isn't as if it would be unsafe since it wouldn't bypass the FDA. drat.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
It would have passed the Senate too if it weren't for Democratic defections. It had Republicans defecting over to it as well, as you can see. Very interesting, really.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Just made it through the thread, I wanted to say thanks for putting this together.
I've added Codeswitching to my list of podcasts, but what else should I listen to?

Does the thread have any opinion on Mafia III? It's AAA game starring a black dude, set in Louisiana in '68. Opening sales were pretty strong, but it got panned by critics for bland gameplay.
Other than that and Watchdogs 2, I don't know of any other big games that have black protagonists.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Rockopolis posted:

Just made it through the thread, I wanted to say thanks for putting this together.
I've added Codeswitching to my list of podcasts, but what else should I listen to?

Does the thread have any opinion on Mafia III? It's AAA game starring a black dude, set in Louisiana in '68. Opening sales were pretty strong, but it got panned by critics for bland gameplay.
Other than that and Watchdogs 2, I don't know of any other big games that have black protagonists.

Assassins Creed: Liberation starred a back woman as the assassin, I think it got an HD port to Steam.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

To play half a Devil's advocate - Booker's state has a lot of jobs that rely on those pharma corps.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Rockopolis posted:

It's pretty good, though the campaign is somewhat formulaic.

There's 9 chunks of city and a bayou that have to be taken over. Each one has a boss and 2 rackets. To get at the boss, you need to damage the rackets and then eliminate the dude running it. Then you kill the racket boss, repeat for the second boss, and then do the top guy.

You have to do this 20 times and there really isn't a ton of variation in dismantling the rackets so it didn't make people happy.

Good game though.

Prototype 2 also has a black protagonist, though it's not really a thing like it is in Mafia 3 or to the lesser extent in WD2.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Rockopolis posted:

Pokémon lets you be a black person now.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
It's cool that we're getting more black protagonists, but WD2's story is so cringeworthy that i'm not sure if its a good thing or just #woke #brand stuff

E: after much internal deliberation the ability to have marcus drive through san fran on a lifter hacking accounts of other cars and exploding AC's while expositing the dangers of cybervirtualworldhackting outweigh the damage the story causes

Its a fun game

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 13, 2017

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Tesseraction posted:

To play half a Devil's advocate - Booker's state has a lot of jobs that rely on those pharma corps.

Markey and Warren voted for it.

The thing about Booker is that he really is just a blatantly opportunistic dude; his terrible votes aren't because he has some principled neoliberal lean, he's just doing whatever's best for Cory Booker's career. If political tides turn to be Full Bernie over the next couple years, he'll be right in line with that.

I like Harris' record as AG and I'm all about giving her a spotlight, but she's still totally untested on a ton of issues and anyone from CA is still gonna need to push her.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

Assassins Creed: Liberation starred a back woman as the assassin, I think it got an HD port to Steam.

Hey if you are going to post in this thread, I need to you to explicitly tell me that you're going to respect the feelings of the black posters here.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Koalas March posted:

Hey if you are going to post in this thread, I need to you to explicitly tell me that you're going to respect the feelings of the black posters here.

*stoically gazes back at the king and his army as sad bagpipes begin to play* nein, tyrante

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Neurolimal posted:

*stoically gazes back at the king and his army as sad bagpipes begin to play* nein, tyrante

That may not have been the right answer.:stare:

Who What Now posted:

Pokémon lets you be a black person now.

Might not be a great thing. We've all seen how anime portrays black people, and uhhh...

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Rockopolis posted:

The anti mage is black in dota 2 and gets hella farm so the portrayal is uplifting and positive.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Lucio is one of the better characters in Overwatch.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Beyond Good and Evil has a black woman for one of the main characters.

Remember Me as well, thought she might not be "black" but she definitely isn't white.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

flashman posted:

The anti mage is black in dota 2 and gets hella farm so the portrayal is uplifting and positive.

Also Dragon Knight and Chen, one being a priest that can tame any beast and the other a knight that can turn into a dragon (he suffers/benefits from the fact that at least half the dota2 cast speak entirely in puns though, so thats about all his characterization).

Most importantly Tony Todd (aka best 90's horror movie villain nobody remembers) voices DK, as well as a flying venomous lizard and sonic's werehog form

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Majorian posted:

That may not have been the right answer.:stare:

Might not be a great thing. We've all seen how anime portrays black people, and uhhh...

They don't have unique models, just skin color. So no hemorrhoid donut lips.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

Neurolimal posted:

Asking for basic respect == tyranny

Makes sense! :)

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

fool_of_sound posted:

Hey Koala could I have a six hour probation with this as the reason:

Funnily enough, while Uncharted 4 finally put a Black woman into one of their games, the actor that does her voice and motion capture is White. I think it caused a minor stir when the game came out.

But what the gently caress do I care, I was completely sick of Nathan Drake's bullshit by the 4th story outing.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Rockopolis posted:

GTA's had a few. CJ in San Andreas, Lance Vance in Vice City Stories, Franklin in GTA V. If you'd accept Mortal Kombat X since despite being a fighting game it actually has a story, Jax and Jacqui.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Admiral Keith David in Mass Effect and Vice President Keith David in Saints Row too.

Push El Burrito fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 13, 2017

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Come on now people, post better. This is all post your favorite poo poo. 50 cent? CJ? Franklin? I don't mind having a discussion about black people in video games, but it is going to have to go a bit deeper than this.

Less stuff with lists, and more stuff with actually discussable topics. For example:

https://medium.com/@cypheroftyr/othering-in-games-via-hair-stand-ins-for-poc-da24842785a0#.mcefegkmr

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jan 13, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Here's a really good article about the "expendable black guy" trope present in Watch Dogs 2 and contrasting it to other ways the game is surprisingly progressive about race:

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/what-watch-dogs-2-gets-so-right-and-so-wrong-about-race

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Colson Whitehead was really hilarious. Lots of great anecdotes and good answers to questions.

Also looking forward to Margot Lee Shetterly (of Hidden Figures) on the 29th. She'll be at the stamps auditorium on north campus, also ann arbor.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Could someone explain to me what the like, "acceptable" portrayal of black people is supposed to be in fiction? My personal feeling on the subject is that it's gotta be an industry-wide thing, like you've got tons of white people in games, so it reinforces the idea that white is "regular" people. But I feel like many of the black people put into video games are not made as "regular" people but rather as an opportunity to say hey, we got a black character in this game. And they play it up of course sometimes, which I can't hate in a specific instance of a character, because hell, I know people who are those characters. I know a dude who is like the embodiment of Cole from Gears of War. People of all colors come from all walks of life, so you can't have one character type that all people of that color are supposed to be like.

That said they can't all be that. They can't all be played up for the sake of saying "and this character is 'the black one.' He likes rap and is very boisterous." Sam B for example, from Dead Island. While there are indeed people like Sam B that exist, so do people like Michael from Maniac Mansion, who was just a photography nerd. You can't say "which one is the acceptable one" because the acceptable situation is not to have just one black character here and there through the industry.

At the end of the day as far as I can tell, representation as a whole has got to be pushed forward, taking up more character slots so they aren't a token. It has to be just a regular thing to make black characters, to the point that having a Sam B doesn't feel like playing to a stereotype, he's just over the top, like say Brucie from GTA4.

I dunno, what do you think?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Who What Now posted:

They don't have unique models, just skin color. So no hemorrhoid donut lips.

Oh thank God.

If I wanted that, I'd read "Tintin."

That's right, I said it. Take that, Belgium.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Majorian posted:

Oh thank God.

If I wanted that, I'd read "Tintin."

That's right, I said it. Take that, Belgium.

yeah you prob don't want to read Tintin in the Congo

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

signalnoise posted:

Could someone explain to me what the like, "acceptable" portrayal of black people is supposed to be in fiction? My personal feeling on the subject is that it's gotta be an industry-wide thing, like you've got tons of white people in games, so it reinforces the idea that white is "regular" people. But I feel like many of the black people put into video games are not made as "regular" people but rather as an opportunity to say hey, we got a black character in this game. And they play it up of course sometimes, which I can't hate in a specific instance of a character, because hell, I know people who are those characters. I know a dude who is like the embodiment of Cole from Gears of War. People of all colors come from all walks of life, so you can't have one character type that all people of that color are supposed to be like.

That said they can't all be that. They can't all be played up for the sake of saying "and this character is 'the black one.' He likes rap and is very boisterous." Sam B for example, from Dead Island. While there are indeed people like Sam B that exist, so do people like Michael from Maniac Mansion, who was just a photography nerd. You can't say "which one is the acceptable one" because the acceptable situation is not to have just one black character here and there through the industry.

At the end of the day as far as I can tell, representation as a whole has got to be pushed forward, taking up more character slots so they aren't a token. It has to be just a regular thing to make black characters, to the point that having a Sam B doesn't feel like playing to a stereotype, he's just over the top, like say Brucie from GTA4.

I dunno, what do you think?

Black people are exactly that, people. Cole is a caricature. I mean what do we know about Cole other than he plays thrashball, is/was a gear, and yells a lot. We need more representation, but we also need deeper representation.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

This is a pretty good article that explains some of the differences between a black (woman, sorry!) stereotype vs a deep 3-dimensional character: http://www.blackenterprise.com/lifestyle/the-power-of-black-women-in-fandom/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

blackguy32 posted:

Black people are exactly that, people. Cole is a caricature. I mean what do we know about Cole other than he plays thrashball, is/was a gear, and yells a lot. We need more representation, but we also need deeper representation.

Yeah, it's really not that hard. People reach for stereotypes when making white characters too, but that's just as lazy. The problem is when every representation of your race relies on a stereotype to fill in the blanks informing who that person is (because the whiter... er writer has no understanding of what makes an authentic character within that race), you aren't going to get points for just throwing in a person of colour. It's exactly the same with female representation in media.

It comes down to simply putting in the same effort for diversifying black/female characters beyond stereotypes that they do for white characters, which means doing the work, the research, behind the character to make it authentic.

• Locked thread