Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Fangz posted:

Dang, I just realised that Moana is structurally a palindrome.

The soundtrack is a little like that, for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

ImpAtom posted:

Could you clarify what you mean? I'm a bit curious but don't quite get it.

Well, this is not an incredibly thought out thing, but the key point that stood out to me is that the scene where Moana gets the Heart is a mirror of the scene at the end where Moana restores the heart. Both in terms of the waters of the ocean standing aside, the general imagery, but also the music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kKREKoRTMQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EboJrjl_ELI

Then kinda other parts start falling into place for me. Like getting the heart is followed with a sequence about Moana discovering who she is contrasted with her responsibility for the village, with songs like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVzDrqOmYiY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPAbx5kgCJo

Meanwhile preceeding the final battle you have Moana reconciling her responsibility with her will to go adventuring with a song that literally combines the two above:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2Lm1-W0jow

Similarly before the scene of Moana getting the heart, we hear the story of Maui and how he lost the fishhook and disappeared forever. After restoring the heart, we get shown Maui having the fishhook returned to him, and the flying off. The film begins with Moana trying to sail out of a reef, succeeding on her second try, and ends with Moana trying to sail into an enclosed area of the ocean, again succeeding on the second try. And so on.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

my favorite part of that post is at the end he bashfully admits to thinking Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast is a masterpiece, like that's weird or something

Not really, just as a comparison. I'm admitting that another film is affecting my perception of another since they're from the same source material.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Egbert Souse posted:

Not really, just as a comparison. I'm admitting that another film is affecting my perception of another since they're from the same source material.

Fair enough. I actually half-agree with you about Maleficient -- it isn't a good movie, but it shows ambition and takes risks, which is more than I can say for most Disney productions.

Cinderella had nothing going for it besides costumes and set design, though.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Fair enough. I actually half-agree with you about Maleficient -- it isn't a good movie, but it shows ambition and takes risks, which is more than I can say for most Disney productions.

Cinderella had nothing going for it besides costumes and set design, though.

I didn't expect Disney to take a subversive turn on one of their own films like that.

Cinderella deserves more love, though. Great cast, takes its look after Barry Lyndon, and manages to still be a Disney film. I think it'll get more popularity over time since it's a solid film.

Though, the 1950 film is excellent, too.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I love the 1950 Cinderella, mice and all. It's got my favorite ending for a villain in any Disney movie -- not Lucifer, who gets the stupid cliched falling death I've complained about before, but Lady Tremaine, whose comeuppance is just that she has to watch Cinderella go off to be happy and it horrifies her. :v:

e: actually come to think of it, Lucifer's death isn't a twist of fate, Bruno just straight up chases him off the window ledge to his death. So I rescind even that complaint!

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 13, 2017

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I love the 1950 Cinderella, mice and all. It's got my favorite ending for a villain in any Disney movie -- not Lucifer, who gets the stupid cliched falling death I've complained about before, but Lady Tremaine, whose comeuppance is just that she has to watch Cinderella go off to be happy and it horrifies her. :v:

That calm sort of evil is way more disturbing. I do love how intelligently Cinderella is written as a character. Completely self-sufficient and nothing gets to her until she cracks after the humiliation before the ball.

In fact, I forgot that Eleanor Audley voiced her (she was also Maleficent in Sleeping Beauty). Disney doesn't get enough credit for the stellar voice casting on their films prior to The Jungle Book, which kind of jump started the trend of getting more famous actors to do voice work.

(Also, IMDB says Lucifer survived the fall in the novelization because he was so fat :lol: )

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

(Also, IMDB says Lucifer survived the fall in the novelization because he was so fat :lol: )

that's amazing

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Disney lookin' out for their cat fam

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
It has long been known that Lucifer survived the fall.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The new Cinderella is my favorite live-action redo, and Maleficent was the right idea for a remake but just has tons of flaws.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

I think Maleficient would be a perfectly fine, forgettable movie if the VERY LAST LINE of the movie didn't stick out as such a contradiction to its own central theme that I wrote too many words about it once to ever forget.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Egbert Souse posted:

The live-action remakes sometimes make sense like The Jungle Book, Beauty and the Beast, and Cinderella. Not to mention that there were live-action versions before Disney's anyways.

Dumbo would sort of make sense as a CGI remake, but a live-action/animated hybrid horrifies me. Even the CGI isn't blasphemy since Walt remade a few cartoons (like Orphan's Benefit and The Ugly Duckling). The only reason it would even be worth it is that the remake is that radically different. Which will happen since Dumbo is barely over an hour long.

You'd think they'd opt to do Aladdin, The Little Mermaid, Sleeping Beauty, The Sword in the Stone, or even The Rescuers first.

Disney have been trying to find new ways to monetize their back catalogue for decades and they remade a whole bunch of their films in the 90s, including some live action remakes of animated films:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBAku3Cwsgk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm-ujO_yESE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DLNNaHfJjU
A live action musical Pinocchio remake starring Drew Carey and Julia Louis-Dreyfus, what the actual gently caress??? :psyduck:

Edit: no really, check this poo poo out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1los3Jz7lwU

They'll undoubtedly get around to making live action remakes all their other classic animated films in time now that the technology has made it viable.

Some of their remakes of live action films were pretty ridiculous. They remade Freaky Friday twice (in 1995 and 2003) as well as The Shaggy Dog (in 1994 and 2006) and even pumped out this awful remake of That Darn Cat!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8toVzV1zNVc

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jan 13, 2017

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Egbert Souse posted:

That calm sort of evil is way more disturbing. I do love how intelligently Cinderella is written as a character. Completely self-sufficient and nothing gets to her until she cracks after the humiliation before the ball.

In fact, I forgot that Eleanor Audley voiced her (she was also Maleficent in Sleeping Beauty). Disney doesn't get enough credit for the stellar voice casting on their films prior to The Jungle Book, which kind of jump started the trend of getting more famous actors to do voice work.

Lot of people forget that Cindy doesn't happily accept her lot, she's very snarky about the thing - she just is smart enough NOT to say it to Tremaine and her daughters. The lead up to the humiliation was so subtly passive-aggressively evil - Tremaine pointing out pearls that neither sister had gave a poo poo about - it was clearly a signal for them to go at it.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

DrakePegasus posted:

I think Maleficient would be a perfectly fine, forgettable movie if the VERY LAST LINE of the movie didn't stick out as such a contradiction to its own central theme that I wrote too many words about it once to ever forget.

Well, the central theme of Maleficent is just that it's a beat-for-beat remake of Sleeping Beauty with the paradigmatic fairy tale roles reversed. Making Beauty literally the mouthpiece of this narrative does not conform to the hyperrealism of Disney's modernized fairy tale, which perpetually assumes this 'objective,' paternalistic distance from the subjective of the protagonist. This is punctuated by the update of "Once Upon a Dream" during the end credits - it infuses the ending with melancholy and foreboding uncertainty rather than embrace. It's very much in the mold of Gus Van Sant's Psycho, but by way of James Cameron's Avatar, where the alien Queen is made the hero.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Maybe I wasn't in the right mood for it but I got maybe 10 minutes into Trolls before I had to turn it off because my brain literally could not cope with the noise and colour and absolute cringe of it. Dang.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Build-a-Boar posted:

Maybe I wasn't in the right mood for it but I got maybe 10 minutes into Trolls before I had to turn it off because my brain literally could not cope with the noise and colour and absolute cringe of it. Dang.

Did you watch the trailer, or did you just go in blind? I can't imagine you thinking the trailer was okay and then being put off by the actual movie.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Drifter posted:

Did you watch the trailer, or did you just go in blind? I can't imagine you thinking the trailer was okay and then being put off by the actual movie.

I saw the trailer but I guess I just wasn't expecting eight different pop songs in the first 10 minutes? I think I'm just getting old, it was all too much for me. Grandma can't cope.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

While this wasn't exactly a great Jungle Book story I always liked this movie, it was one of those odd gems where things like visuals and the cast take the film from being forgettable to being "hey you guys remember that Jungle Book movie where Westley was the bad guy?"

Though speaking of live action adaptations of old cartoons who remembers this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kj7ftwkCd2I
That was the only time I ever walked out of a movie, me and my dad went to see it and about 15 minutes in decided to leave and went to Tarzan the next screen over :v:

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
There's a captain underpants movie? gently caress yeah.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Aces High posted:

While this wasn't exactly a great Jungle Book story I always liked this movie, it was one of those odd gems where things like visuals and the cast take the film from being forgettable to being "hey you guys remember that Jungle Book movie where Westley was the bad guy?"

Though speaking of live action adaptations of old cartoons who remembers this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kj7ftwkCd2I
That was the only time I ever walked out of a movie, me and my dad went to see it and about 15 minutes in decided to leave and went to Tarzan the next screen over :v:

I haven't seen Dudley Do-Right yet, but I was hoping it was somewhat fun. Brendan Fraser as Dudley is God-tier casting.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I saw that live-action Rocky and Bullwinkle as a kid and remember thinking it was pretty funny and alright. How much of that is "kid don't know what bad is?"

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Das Boo posted:

I saw that live-action Rocky and Bullwinkle as a kid and remember thinking it was pretty funny and alright. How much of that is "kid don't know what bad is?"

I caught it on Netflix a while back and was worried about the same thing. Turns out it's just kind of a bland "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" with some... odd casting decisions (Jason Alexander as Boris?). It wasn't great but I didn't regret watching it and the animated bit at the beginning was cute.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Well Manicured Man posted:

Turns out it's just kind of a bland "Who Framed Roger Rabbit"

ZIS IS NUSSINK LIKE DAT!

I haven't seen Maleficent yet, but I'd rather have a mediocre that than a Wicked movie.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle is awesome. It manages to capture the Jay Ward/Bill Scott humor perfectly.

Lots of throwaway gags like Whoopi Goldberg appearing as Judge Cameo for one scene, a character lamenting that Boris and Natasha's plot sounds like a ripoff of Who Framed Roger Rabbit, and Robert DeNiro doing the "Are you talking to me" scene as Fearless Leader.

(Though, the 80s Boris and Natasha movie is pretty dire from what I remember)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Egbert Souse posted:

The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle is awesome. It manages to capture the Jay Ward/Bill Scott humor perfectly.

Lots of throwaway gags like Whoopi Goldberg appearing as Judge Cameo for one scene, a character lamenting that Boris and Natasha's plot sounds like a ripoff of Who Framed Roger Rabbit, and Robert DeNiro doing the "Are you talking to me" scene as Fearless Leader.

Yeah, as far as replicating the humor of the original show goes the Rocky & Bullwinkle movie is actually one of the better (if not one of the best) adaptions of a cartoon out there surprisingly enough. Jason Alexander as Boris was a bit of an odd choice but he does alright and the rest of the cast is actually pretty good for the most part.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jan 14, 2017

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The movie's biggest problem is that it's ugly as gently caress.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
Finally saw Sing and while it wasn't necessarily bad it wasn't necessarily good either. Finally figured out my biggest problem with Illumination is that while their efforts at reducing their films' budgets are very effective at ensuring every one of their movies is hugely profitable, they also look the part. Less than a minute in, I had already noticed the sheer character model replication going on, and it only got worse as the film progressed. Must be a small rear end city if every animal who auditioned can be seen several times throughout the course of the movie. Zootopia looked like a fully imagined labor of love, Sing looked like they came up with an idea that would make $400 million and went from there.

Scarlett Johansson was the best celebrity furry, by the way.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Egbert Souse posted:

Back in the days of VHS supremacy my mother bought a comedy boxset which had that movie. The cover mentioned that it featured John Travolta, it even featured a photo of him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nbq5lEbHZgo

They didn't lie, but... that's it.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

CRINDY posted:

I wonder how many celebrities are secretly furries.

I mean, there have to be a few right??

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Shakira defientaly

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

CRINDY posted:

Finally saw Sing and while it wasn't necessarily bad it wasn't necessarily good either. Finally figured out my biggest problem with Illumination is that while their efforts at reducing their films' budgets are very effective at ensuring every one of their movies is hugely profitable, they also look the part. Less than a minute in, I had already noticed the sheer character model replication going on, and it only got worse as the film progressed. Must be a small rear end city if every animal who auditioned can be seen several times throughout the course of the movie. Zootopia looked like a fully imagined labor of love, Sing looked like they came up with an idea that would make $400 million and went from there.

I saw it because my mom wanted to and it wasn't a bad way to spend 2 hours. The only real negative part, to me, was the main koala character was such a dud. It's almost like he started off as an actual conman like the lead in The Music Man but got softened in rewrites so he's just sort of incompetent? Pretty much everything good he gets in the movie comes from other characters giving it to him, versus most of the other characters that sacrifice something or at least confront an issue to succeed.

Are we spoilering plot ponts? Dead dad buys him a theater that he runs into the ground, barely managing to stay afloat thanks to money given to him by his boyfriend's rich parents, completely wrecks the theater, other characters save his rear end with a free concert that's freely televised, then an even richer parent buys the theater back for him.

I'm glad I wasn't supposed to like Seth Macfarlane's character, though, I was worried when I heard he was in it. His crooner shtick can get old real fast.

Also I thought everyone liked Reese Witherspoon's pig mom, not the porcupine :v:.

Unrelated, I watched a bunch of Prince of Egypt clips again last night and drat what I'd give to be in the timeline where Dreamworks kept producing serious animated films like that :sigh:.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Hedrigall posted:

I wonder how many celebrities are secretly furries.

I mean, there have to be a few right??

Eddie Redmayne.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

vin diesel is a furry

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Vegetable posted:

vin diesel is a furry

He is into anthromorphic sharks so wouldn't that make him a scaley or whatever?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Mierenneuker posted:

He is into anthromorphic sharks so wouldn't that make him a scaley or whatever?

do sharks have scales

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Magic Hate Ball posted:

do sharks have scales

They have denticles.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Unmature posted:

Oh ok, I've seen that a bunch of times. Would've been cool to see it in the big screen but no big deal. I thought it would be one of the ones they only show on planes or at the museum or something.

Someday I will see Mei and the Kittenbus :(

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Pick posted:

They have denticles.

I learned something today!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I finally got to see Moana last night and really enjoyed it. Enjoyed the characters, the scenery, the music and this is one of the very few instances where I didn't hate the sidekick. (I was very surprised the pig wasn't in the majority of the movie as it seemed like the sort of design made to be adorable and sell merch. But Heihei is Gobbles from South Park, so that's fine n' dandy with me. It came across as a little hectic, but that didn't bother me as much as the absolute emptiness that was Frozen. It didn't seem quite so transparently calculated to push out and market. The world felt full and meticulously crafted with a lot of the unnecessary details that give a lived-in feel. And drat, have they nailed hair. Lovely, lovely hair. Definitely looking forward to owning it so I can pour over the minutiae.

I also realized that this is probably going to be the only film I see in theaters this year. Maybe Coco, depending? This is such a goddamn empty year.