Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I have a sirloin tip roast that I cut into 2" steaks, what would be the proper time/temp for them?

Can I treat them like a normal steak and do 60-90 minutes at 131 before searing or do they need more time to tenderize? They are fairly lean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Anyone in here caramelize onions in their sous vide? Better, worse, about the same as in a Dutch oven?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

lifts cats over head posted:

Anyone in here caramelize onions in their sous vide? Better, worse, about the same as in a Dutch oven?

I have done it. It takes a few days to get them nice and dark iirc but the nice thing is you can do a shitload all at once and then freeze the bags. Also the scent leaks through and makes the area around the bath smell delicious for the duration of the cook.

Quality-wise, I'd say they're the same. Worth it only if you're looking to do a huge batch IMO.

theres a will theres moe fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jan 10, 2017

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Man, I'd just fill up my freezer with caramelized onions, but I'm guessing my ziploc bags aren't gonna be happy with 85C @ 24h

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Dacap posted:

I have a sirloin tip roast that I cut into 2" steaks, what would be the proper time/temp for them?

Can I treat them like a normal steak and do 60-90 minutes at 131 before searing or do they need more time to tenderize? They are fairly lean.

If 130 is your target meat temperature, Baldwin's guide suggests that's probably not enough time to actually get it up to temperature let alone pasteurize (assuming you care about the latter).

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
2.5lb chuck at 136 for about 24 hours turned out some really fantastic meat (used salt, pepper, prague power and liquid smoke), but the connective tissue was no good at all, still utterly tough. Maybe I just need to trim in the future, because the meat was succulent.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Edit: I got a gourmia for x-mas! No wonder my girlfriend kept trying to crush my dreams with "You won't use it."

Trying some bacon overnight, we'll see what happens.

145F for ARBITRARILY LONG TIME >8H

Loco
Dec 6, 2006

Why is.. Those things?

baquerd posted:

2.5lb chuck at 136 for about 24 hours turned out some really fantastic meat (used salt, pepper, prague power and liquid smoke), but the connective tissue was no good at all, still utterly tough. Maybe I just need to trim in the future, because the meat was succulent.

Curious about trying this- Did you finish it off in the oven or on the grill?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

baquerd posted:

I do short ribs at 132 but for 48 hours. Might just need more time to break down the connective tissue at that temp.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Is the connective tissue at the center of a chuck roast ever going to break down? Everything I've read says to break it down and then truss it (or meat glue) back together before cooking.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I do short ribs at 132 but for 48 hours. Might just need more time to break down the connective tissue at that temp.

I still had the connective tissue issue with a similar cook at 36 hours.

I'll do a 48 next time and see what happens.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
By a random stroke of luck Kenji posted his sous vide carnitas article the day before I was planning on making some using his traditional "no waste" method, so I gave the sous vide method a whirl instead and we had them for dinner last night.

Verdict: awesome, and probably the easiest carnitas prep I've ever done. No cubing pork, no fiddling with lard, just slice a boneless pork shoulder, vacuum seal it with a stick of cinnamon, some bay leaves, salt and an orange and puddle it at 165 for 18 hours. It shredded perfectly and the texture was noticeably more tender than traditional carnitas, but I was still able to get great crispiness on them under the broiler. I also got about 2-3 cups of very gelatinous pork stock out of the deal, which I'm planning on working into some ramen or something. The one thing I think I will change next time is half the cinnamon. It wasn't overpowering the way it was, but I prefer my carnitas a bit more savory.

Overall, this method is stupid easy and puts out absurdly good carnitas. I probably won't go back to doing them the traditional way any time soon.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The recipe I used to use had mexican oregano and some such in it, but I bet those flavourings port to this technique.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Those carnitas sound really good. I might have to try them when a friend of mine visits in April. Those are right up his alley.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

The recipe I used to use had mexican oregano and some such in it, but I bet those flavourings port to this technique.

Ah yeah, I actually added Mexican oregano and some cumin right before broiling them and then squeezed some lime juice on before serving. It worked out really well doing it that way since I wasn't sure if the herbs would become overpowering in the puddle for 18 hours.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Loco posted:

Curious about trying this- Did you finish it off in the oven or on the grill?

Cast iron pan.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Subjunctive posted:

Is the connective tissue at the center of a chuck roast ever going to break down? Everything I've read says to break it down and then truss it (or meat glue) back together before cooking.

Some connective tissue is made up of collagen, which breaks down into gelatin over time on low heat. Then there's elastin, which never breaks down. This is what the silverskin on some cuts of beef is made up of, like the inside face of a rib rack, the tough tissues that never ever break down.

I'm not up on my beef anatomy, but I think chuck has silverskin? A quick google seems to confirm this.

This is probably why chuck is popular for burgers; grinding is a good way to deal with anything that won't otherwise break down

Personally I'm lazy so I'd rather just eat around the connective tissue than bother with trimming it and meatgluing it back together

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jan 12, 2017

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Chuck roast definitely have silverskin.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

If doing ribs or a roast for long cooks (12+ hours) is it generally advised to briefly boil the meat first to avoid lactobacillus growth?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Nah

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

:popeye:

Dang that seems good. I've tried 12 hr pork shoulder before which came out great, but didn't have any aromatics in the bag. Am I reading it right that he adds the orange to the bag and reserves the juice?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Buying advice needed: I was going to buy the Anova Precision cooker, it went down to $99 this afternoon and I should have pulled the trigger. For some reason I didn't and now it's back up to $150ish. I did a bit of looking around and I saw these two, are either of them worthwhile buys for a first timer? They're both at $80 right now:

Ivation
Gourmia

Is one a better deal? Are they both good or junk? Appreciate any advice, thanks.

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jan 13, 2017

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Buying advice needed: I was going to buy the Anova Precision cooker, it went down to $99 this afternoon and I should have pulled the trigger. For some reason I didn't and now it's back up to $150ish. I did a bit of looking around and I saw these two, are either of them worthwhile buys for a first timer? They're both at $80 right now:

Ivation
Gourmia

Is one a better deal? Are they both good or junk? Appreciate any advice, thanks.

This one claims to have a 10 gallon heating capacity for $20 bucks more (unless you messed up and meant to post this in your second link):

https://www.amazon.com/Gourmia-Imme...eywords=gourmia

I haven't used it but a couple people in this thread bought it and it seemed to work okay for them

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Portlandia.avi Sous vide it's over!

https://www.starbucks.com/menu/food/hot-breakfast/sous-vide-egg-bites-bacon-gruyere

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Steve Yun posted:

This one claims to have a 10 gallon heating capacity for $20 bucks more (unless you messed up and meant to post this in your second link):

https://www.amazon.com/Gourmia-Imme...eywords=gourmia

I haven't used it but a couple people in this thread bought it and it seemed to work okay for them

This is what I meant to post as my second link: Gourmia - I fixed my link now.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I think we've had two people in the thread who got it and don't have any complaints about it so far

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Anyone followed this brisket recipe? http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/08/sous-vide-barbecue-smoked-bbq-brisket-texas-recipe.html

I'm having a belated Hanukkah party and it seems appropriate to try my first brisket and make it into some sort of appetizer.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ola posted:

:popeye:

Dang that seems good. I've tried 12 hr pork shoulder before which came out great, but didn't have any aromatics in the bag. Am I reading it right that he adds the orange to the bag and reserves the juice?

Juice goes in too.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
To the Goon that made kenji's porchetta in the sous vide what did you do for side dishes?

Also any tips on making the whole process easier? As usual Kenji makes it sound simple but he's a God among men so that's no surprise.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I think I was one of the people who made it for Christmas. We had a ton of other food along with it. Green beans tossed with fried leeks, a corn casserole, truffle smashed potatoes, homemade cinnamon applesauce and a few other things I can't think of. The pan sauce on the potatoes was absurdly good.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I also did it for Christmas dinner. Agreed with the pan sauce working great over (in our case) garlic mashed potatoes, though I made mine into more of a pork gravy with some added pork stock and roux. Also did roasted brussels sprouts with fried shallots. You can select the same sort of sides you'd do with a more conventional pork roast.

The leftovers go very nicely with some lettuce and tomato on a sandwich for a fun take on a BLT.

I actually found the process pretty easy. There's definitely work involved, but none of it too complicated. I'll give the same advice I did before: dry the porchetta off extremely well before putting it in the hot oil, because even going in dry it's going to spit like crazy at the start.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Seconding dry the crap out of it. I had three different ones because we had 14 lbs worth of pork belly and the third one sputtered quite a bit.

The process wasn't terrible as noted above. It took a while to do three of them, but it wasn't that bad. Rolling and tying them might have to be a two man job though. I did a turchetta on my own, but I had my mom to help me roll up the porchetta and boy was I glad I did.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Consider some bitter greens like broccoli rabe, braised collards, etc. as a pairing for porchetta. Porchetta is super rich, so anything that provides some acidity and contrast is going to be nice. Broccoli rabe in particular will also work really well on a sandwich with the leftover pork.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Rocket salad would be a pretty easy pairing with one I'd think.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Glottis posted:

Anyone followed this brisket recipe? http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/08/sous-vide-barbecue-smoked-bbq-brisket-texas-recipe.html

I'm having a belated Hanukkah party and it seems appropriate to try my first brisket and make it into some sort of appetizer.

I haven't tried that particular one but i would heed the standard Kenji warning and try it with half the salt the first time. His SV corned beef was almost inedibly salty when i made it to the recipe.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

large hands posted:

I haven't tried that particular one but i would heed the standard Kenji warning and try it with half the salt the first time. His SV corned beef was almost inedibly salty when i made it to the recipe.

I've made that exact recipe and yes, halve the salt (at least). Straight out of the sous vide texture & moistness were great, post smoking it was a little dry so I'd either try for a colder smoke or a shorter time or both. I don't remember exact details now, I made it in June or something.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Is it that Kenji is using flake salt and everybody in here is using granulated? I haven't tried any Kenji recipes, I'm just wondering how it could be so bad for errbody.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

theres a will theres moe posted:

Is it that Kenji is using flake salt and everybody in here is using granulated? I haven't tried any Kenji recipes, I'm just wondering how it could be so bad for errbody.

First, make sure you're using coarse as gently caress salt. Second, use the weights if given. Third, cut back to like 75% of the recipe.

Kenji likes his salt.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
May also have to do with which salt you're using. This article says Diamond kosher (which most chefs use) weighs is 5oz per cup versus 8 for Morton's kosher and 10 for Morton's iodized. Assuming he's giving measurements by volume that could make a big difference.

http://www.goodfoodstories.com/kosher-salt/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I use Diamond and he's still way too salty.