Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
You can afford a lawyer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
This is injury law, I don't need to afford one, they'd take a chunk of the settlement after the fact.

E: I've been reading the dog bite statutes and penalties. Since my injuries were minor and the medical treatment I sought was useless (loving VA), I couldn't press for anything besides what a doctor would assess as compensatory for scars and any finger mobility issues. But, that minor bite opens the door to punitive damages, which I wouldn't mind seeing a shelter get after the lawyer sponges out his fees.

And I really, really want to see those loving morons pay through the nose, or in this case, their insurance. As long as they were ticketed and fined by the county/city.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jan 12, 2017

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

ugh don't spook me guys I'm getting into that "might have to take care of parents soon" age

I saw what my mom had to deal with with the grandparents and God drat it was a mess. Drama with siblings, all the usual poo poo. Had to sell their house when they couldn't live alone and nearly all their savings went to the facility and just taking care of them.

My dad is old as gently caress, he's made it pretty far all things considered. Lived a pretty unhealthy life but has been quite healthy the last long while. He'll be a go in the night type of person I'm pretty sure.

My mom is older as well but has lived a relatively healthy life. Smoked in her 20s, but that was it. Hardly ever drinks, really healthy eater. There's drama between the step kids though and that's my biggest concern. I'm 100% beneficiary because I'm the most "stable" and level headed and a "everyone gets the same slice of pie," type of person. But some of the step kids are into meth and poo poo so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Only thing I'll probably inherit is debt. I'm really scared as to how messy it's going to get when the time comes to address finances It's amazing how greedy some family members get and how their true colors really show when money is involved. Someone ALWAYS feels they deserve more. I swear every family issue ever stems from money. I've seen it all throughout mine

Working in healthcare it's really sad to see just how far along people string their parents or grandparents along. Christ, let them go with some dignity at least.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

since my dad died my mom has been doing well. She lost a bunch of weight after my dad died and it distressed me a bit

i make it up to her place 2 or 3 times a week to say hi, she's gonna adopt another dog soon, a rescue that looks like it can do with couch sleeping and pettes

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Doesn't that debt get taken care of in probate court?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Only thing I'll probably inherit is debt. I'm really scared as to how messy it's going to get when the time comes to address finances It's amazing how greedy some family members get and how their true colors really show when money is involved. Someone ALWAYS feels they deserve more. I swear every family issue ever stems from money. I've seen it all throughout mine

Working in healthcare it's really sad to see just how far along people string their parents or grandparents along. Christ, let them go with some dignity at least.

You shouldn't inherit debt, that dies with them and the lenders have until the estate is settled to collect, after that, they can get hosed, unless you inherit a house under mortgage and don't want to sell, but inheritance can't be paid out until the estate is settled anyhow.

Nursing home insurance is a thing and something you might look into if you're really worried, otherwise it gets expensive fast.

I don't like the money fights my family gets into either, and my grandmother is still kicking it dementia style, probably will for a few more years (her mother lived deep into her 90s with alzheimers for 10-15 years of it). When she kicks, the real fight will start over the remaining land and money and I want no part of their bullshit. It will get ugly because the will isn't split evenly since two of the kids burnt piles of money on bad decisions and mlm scams, and those two are the likeliest to get pissy over it.

I'll miss my grandmother when she goes, but her mind went years ago and I've made my peace with that. When my dad kicks it, he gets the cheapest trip to a furnace and bag in a cardboard box. My mom has money aside already. Once their gone, I can leave the east side of the Mississippi river to the wolves and go gently caress off on the west coast.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Debt bit was just an exaggeration

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Debt bit was just an exaggeration

Kinda figured it was, but you'd be surprised how many people have no idea how death, debt and inheritance work.

Either way, family money fights suck.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

even before anyone is even close to death people are already fighting over the money and arguing why they're entitled to more

My dad pretty much sold my uncle. Uncle was handling it all, and Dad was overpaid inheritance money, didn't want to give it back--yeah he's kind of a pos

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

my parents lost their house in '09 so yeah money wasnt an issue with my dad

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
My dad's the mlm piece of poo poo in my family. And he's dumb enough to threaten to sue for more. He's more broke than I am and has been calling family asking for money the past few months. Fucker makes $50k/year and blows it on bullshit schemes to get rich quick. If there was a way, he would've stumbled across it by now, he's been in so loving many of them. I shut him out a few years back after he roped me into one without telling me, and I went absolutely apeshit on his house.

So don't feel bad about having dumb or lovely dads. Seems to be a common trend. Pretty much why I never want kids, I'm removing myself from the realm of lovely parenting and working on being a good uncle.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

One of my uncle's flew across the world sans family--he wasn't even the child--under the guise of a "business trip" just to try to swindle money from my grandfather with worsening memory. They had some opportunity to buy a house or something.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

My stepdad died years ago and left his million dollar house to my mom, my sister and me equally but my mom got remarried and sold it to move. Since me and my sister didn't want to cause a ruckus we just let it go. She at least cut us both a check worth a new car without us asking.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Ooh whats that, $20k a piece while she fucks her new boyfriend on $960,000 pile of money?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Two distant cousins of mine (related to grandmother as nephews through marriage or something, really way out there) are shitbag lawyers who claimed that my grandmother's intent was that they would get her inheritance instead of, you know, her children (due to some foggy poo poo in her will). Biggest load of poo poo I've ever heard, but they somehow swindled their way into getting it. We still got the house, but I'm pissed that the rest of the family decided to just loving give up after a few years of dealing with it. It wasn't some huge sum of money or anything, but it's the principle of the thing.

It's not like it would have been difficult to make them "disappear," either.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

lite_sleepr posted:

Ooh whats that, $20k a piece while she fucks her new boyfriend on $960,000 pile of money?

Lol f'real I was thinking the same thing as her and her new young boyfriend are swimming through all that cash a la Scrooge McDuck

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Actually, maybe somebody here can answer this for me. Probably makes me sound like an rear end in a top hat.

I'm in Virginia. My parents in Georgia have custody of my older brother's three kids until the kids are 18, because my brother and his methwhore of a girlfriend got picked up by the cops enough times with clearly neglected kids that the state gave custody to my folks. My dad's close to 70, my mom's a few years younger. They're in okay health, but raising a 9/6/4 year old simultaneously on SS/enlisted retiree pay and whatever public assistance Georgia deigns to offer is probably going to take its toll. I haven't spoken to the brother in about four years, and I rarely talk to my parents because A: the kid situation depresses me, B: my brother still gets unconditional support from them despite putting them into this situation and refusing to get his poo poo together, and C: I'm tired of hearing them whine about politics and urge me to stay in the military until retirement.

If something were to happen to one or both of my parents, is there any chance that I'd be given custody of the kids?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

You could definitely present yourself and apply for it in court? I imagine it's something you get sorted preemptively, before they die or lose their mind

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Lol f'real I was thinking the same thing as her and her new young boyfriend are swimming through all that cash a la Scrooge McDuck

Eh she got remarried to guy her age 7 years ago and he puts up with her. They went in 50/50 on a $600k house in Charelette NC in cash at least. I'd rather have a mom who spoils my kids and sends me checks than a lump sum and no family.

If she was still dating the guy the same age as me right after my stepdad died than yeah I'd have a big issue with it.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

poo poo yes

http://edmchicago.com/2017/01/11/daft-punks-alive-2017-world-tour/

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

redneck nazgul posted:

Actually, maybe somebody here can answer this for me. Probably makes me sound like an rear end in a top hat.

I'm in Virginia. My parents in Georgia have custody of my older brother's three kids until the kids are 18, because my brother and his methwhore of a girlfriend got picked up by the cops enough times with clearly neglected kids that the state gave custody to my folks. My dad's close to 70, my mom's a few years younger. They're in okay health, but raising a 9/6/4 year old simultaneously on SS/enlisted retiree pay and whatever public assistance Georgia deigns to offer is probably going to take its toll. I haven't spoken to the brother in about four years, and I rarely talk to my parents because A: the kid situation depresses me, B: my brother still gets unconditional support from them despite putting them into this situation and refusing to get his poo poo together, and C: I'm tired of hearing them whine about politics and urge me to stay in the military until retirement.

If something were to happen to one or both of my parents, is there any chance that I'd be given custody of the kids?

Not a lawyer, but your parents should move for full legal custody and put you in as next of kin responsible, imo. Then they should apply for whatever lovely state aid Georgia provides for 3 minors.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Hey yesterday wasn't all bad the USCIS texted me saying they got my wife's green card petition and application and are mailing the receipt forms, which means I didn't gently caress up the mountain of paperwork I had to do for it :unsmith:

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Mr. Mambold posted:

Not a lawyer, but your parents should move for full legal custody and put you in as next of kin responsible, imo. Then they should apply for whatever lovely state aid Georgia provides for 3 minors.

They already have full custody via court order, the other set of grandparents on the methwhore mother's side are the next of kin. Georgia and my brother are both paying in their lovely state aid/child support. I'm reasonably sure I'm off the hook for this, I'm more concerned that something unexpected would happen and leave me to clean up my brother's mess for another goddamn decade.

If I'm going to foster the kids, I want it to be by choice, not because my family hosed itself over in a new and interesting way.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

redneck nazgul posted:

They already have full custody via court order, the other set of grandparents on the methwhore mother's side are the next of kin. Georgia and my brother are both paying in their lovely state aid/child support. I'm reasonably sure I'm off the hook for this, I'm more concerned that something unexpected would happen and leave me to clean up my brother's mess for another goddamn decade.

If I'm going to foster the kids, I want it to be by choice, not because my family hosed itself over in a new and interesting way.

I wasn't sure which way you were asking the question.

You will never be legally obligated to care for those kids in any way without your consent. No ifs, ands or buts.

With your consent, there could be some difficulties if the other grandparents wanted the kids.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

redneck nazgul posted:

Sounds to me like both sets of grandparent would have to pass / be declared unfit before the legal system would move on to you. A question you might want to ask yourself, considering your hesitance to foster them out of legal obligation, is what their lives might look like under the care of the people who reared your brother's wife. No one is going to force an adult to take on the responsibility of rearing three children, though refusal to take them on might mean that they go into the foster system, which is by all reports hellacious and exploitative.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

joat mon posted:

I wasn't sure which way you were asking the question.

You will never be legally obligated to care for those kids in any way without your consent. No ifs, ands or buts.

With your consent, there could be some difficulties if the other grandparents wanted the kids.

Same here

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Yeah, I should have been clearer with that originally. I blame being sick and hopped up on cough syrup.

Thanks for assuring me and the wife that nothing will happen without our consent.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Just bought a shotgun. :feelsgood:

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

lite_sleepr posted:

Just bought a shotgun. :feelsgood:

Whatcha get

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Now you can sit on the porch and yell "get off my lawn!" and it will mean something.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Just don't ask for what kind of ammo you need to protect your pumkin patch

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

redneck nazgul posted:

Yeah, I should have been clearer with that originally. I blame being sick and hopped up on cough syrup.

Thanks for assuring me and the wife that nothing will happen without our consent.

:hf: Same. Sinus infection and vertigo. I hate vertigo. Also where's the spider whisperer. I got bit again by one of those reclusive bastards.

Helldump Immunity
Sep 11, 2001

pretty much rollin with the dad farm these days

Syrian Lannister posted:

lmao

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Syrian Lannister posted:

What's this mean?

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Back when tfr was in its infancy a new user asked what was the best ammo for shotguns for home defense.

He later used said ammo and killed some neighbors

https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=1675

http://murderpedia.org/male.F/f/freund-william.htm

Syrian Lannister fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 13, 2017

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Used mossberg 500 mariner model.

Syrian Lannister posted:

You use HeviShot, duh.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Holy poo poo

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Gonna be at a least a two joint night after work today.

Insurance guy called about the dog bite to take a statement and wound up getting way the gently caress under my skin. I realize he can't admit fault on behalf of his policyholders. He prodded about who hit it (doesn't matter, negligence trumps assholery here), why I got out to help, when the kid (not really a kid, just 19or so) apparently walking it showed up (without a leash, sucked into his phone). Long story short, I got angry and in a punchy mood after that call and it was drat difficult to bottle that rage pill down.

Anyhow, rolling joint number two now and I think I'll play battlefield for the next few hours because fuuuuuuuuck this gay earth.

Also, they put the dog down. :(

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Not your fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I know. Still sucks.

But Frank's cheering me up. And my blood pressure is back to normal-ish.

• Locked thread