Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

TheKingofSprings posted:

Honestly Modern is looking pretty darn solid right now

yeah I'm pretty excited for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

suicidesteve posted:

And Top is played in plenty of other decks and is a perfectly fine card contrary to what people want to believe from playing against bad players. Terminus is played in one deck and is singlehandedly responsible for keeping an entire archetype down.

Again none of this matters because if they ban anything it'll be Top.

No it's not. It's not more than a 1 of any other decent deck.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

suicidesteve posted:

Aggro. Like, all of it. I don't know how Miracles not winning a GP means it's not dominant? It's pretty clearly the best deck and by a good amount. What are its bad match-ups?

I never said it wasn't the best deck, I'm just curious what you think it is holding down? Just looking at Louisville because I'm not about to do a statistical analysis of legacy finishes to figure this out but the T8 has 1 miracles deck and 5 decks that win by attacking with creatures that aren't Emrakul or Griselbrand. Are you worried that miracles is holding back burn or goblins or zoo or what? I'm just not sure creature strategies are being hosed as badly as you seem to be saying.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

The March Hare posted:

I never said it wasn't the best deck, I'm just curious what you think it is holding down? Just looking at Louisville because I'm not about to do a statistical analysis of legacy finishes to figure this out but the T8 has 1 miracles deck and 5 decks that win by attacking with creatures that aren't Emrakul or Griselbrand. Are you worried that miracles is holding back burn or goblins or zoo or what? I'm just not sure creature strategies are being hosed as badly as you seem to be saying.

Didn't miracles lose to infect at a big legacy GP recently?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Mezzanon posted:

Didn't miracles lose to infect at a big legacy GP recently?

Ok fine Miracles has one bad tier 2.5 match-up.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

suicidesteve posted:

Infect is T1 and I'm also reasonably certain that BR reanimator, which is also T1, shits right on top of miracles.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

Aggro. Like, all of it. I don't know how Miracles not winning a GP means it's not dominant? It's pretty clearly the best deck and by a good amount. What are its bad match-ups?

Eldrazi. Thresh. Anything running DRS+Young Pyromancer.

e: also what the guy above me said.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

The March Hare posted:

Infect is T1 and I'm also reasonably certain that BR reanimator, which is also T1, shits right on top of miracles.

Legacy Infect isn't T1 unless Tom Ross is playing it.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

suicidesteve posted:

Two. Don't forget the eleven or so of us who play Cloudpost :colbert:

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

mcmagic posted:

Legacy Infect isn't T1 unless Tom Ross is playing it.

Tell that to the guy who runs the source's metagame analysis who has it in the decks to beat, where it has been for at least 6 months.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

The March Hare posted:

BR reanimator, which is also T1

:eyepop:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
What are Modern Tezzerator's main weaknesses right now? Did getting access to 4 of a really solid removal spell change their fortunes any?

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|
I'm cashing out of MODO. This digital next poo poo is likely to destroy collection value.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
I'm skeptical that an aggro deck would exist without miracles. They'd lose very hard to fast combo unless they played force and then you're playing blue so may as well play that 3/2 flying one drop and oh wait.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
my newest annoying as gently caress legacy deck is amazing.

its a total joke concept where you eun a prison deck then all you do is jam wheel of sun and moon and grindstone, go into an infinite loop and draw the game.

over and over and over and over and over.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Why not just play Minus Six then?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

mcmagic posted:

No it's not. It's not more than a 1 of any other decent deck.
You take that back buddy. Doomsday will be referred to as nothing less than "The Best Deck", this is followed closely by Nic-Fit.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

eSporks posted:

You take that back buddy. Doomsday will be referred to as nothing less than "The Best Deck", this is followed closely by Nic-Fit.

Nothing in this thread is as true as this statement.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

suicidesteve posted:

Anyone who wants to see why Terminus needs to go, watch Reid's latest video. Match 3 I think.

Terminus #1: on their turn 4 draw step, has Counterspell for Reid's Force. Because you should be able to cast a 2 mana spell plus a board wipe with 3 mana

Terminus #2: the next turn to clean up the rest of Reid's cards, I think followed up by some spell or another.

Terminus #3: a few turns later followed up by a JtMS. Because you should be able to wipe the board again and cast a 4 mana spell on the same turn that early in the game.

What a cool card that isn't completely format warping!

This argument is utterly asinine; one match where a dude draws a bunch of Terminus doesn't mean Terminus is busted or format warping. gently caress, why is Terminus and JTMS on turn 8? 9? overpowered, when you can have a Griselbrand on deck on turn 1 or 2?

Like everyone so far has replied, Terminus isn't keeping creature decks down.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

eSporks posted:

Actually one of my best friends in magic plays Doomsday in legacy. He's a lunatic.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Nothing in this thread is as true as this statement.

No, the truest statement in this thread is:

Star Man posted:

Unban every card in the game and ban all Magic players.

And you carry out those player bannings with a shotgun.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Any chance that a UWB Delver list could work in Modern with Fatal Push being a thing? Something like

4x
Delver
Snapcaster
Path
Fatal Push
Remand
Lingering Souls
Serum Visions
2-3x
Tasigur
Spell Snare
Collective Brutality
Other countermagic/removal (Spell Pierce? Vapor Snag?)
Monastery Mentor?

Grixis is probably still better (and even then not a great deck?) but I have all of the lands I would need and no Vents/Tarns so I thought I'd at least try.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

C-Euro posted:

Any chance that a UWB Delver list could work in Modern with Fatal Push being a thing? Something like

I think an esper deck with removal, counterspells, and delve threats/lingering souls could be viable, but I don't know if you want delver in that deck.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I wouldn't feel tied to a 3rd color. Half the point of Push is that your grindy Bx decks don't need to splash for one mana removal.

If you're going that hard on control though, you might want Ancestral and maybe some copies of the -3/-3 wipe that casts stuff from your hand.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Star Man posted:

No, the truest statement in this thread is:

And you carry out those player bannings with a shotgun.
Ban all cards excluding doomsday, swamp, and dark ritual.

For actual content VSL apparently started on the 3rd and I missed it.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Voyager I posted:

I wouldn't feel tied to a 3rd color. Half the point of Push is that your grindy Bx decks don't need to splash for one mana removal.

If you're going that hard on control though, you might want Ancestral and maybe some copies of the -3/-3 wipe that casts stuff from your hand.

My friend plays Sultai in Modern with Ancestral. He says that Push and the Expertise have really pumped the deck up. I played against him with Burn, RG Titan, and Grixis Delver and he won every match.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

uninverted posted:

I think an esper deck with removal, counterspells, and delve threats/lingering souls could be viable, but I don't know if you want delver in that deck.

Modern Aristocrats 3.0 Sac outlets, Lingering Souls, Tragic Slip and Fatal Push. DID IT.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

PSA: Please keep bringing surgical in against lands.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

uninverted posted:

Maybe, but then I'd have to at least pick up Cryptics and Colonnades too and it becomes more of a control deck, I wanted to keep things faster (AKA I have the almost all of the low-CMC cards for a Delver-style deck but not the control staples :v:). Plus there's a couple guys in my area running different flavors of UWx control and I'm at least .750 against them with different decks, so I'm not sure how viable a control build will be. Maybe Push gives that kind of Esper control decks a shot in the arm?

Voyager I posted:

Oh yeah I forgot about Expertise too, thanks.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jan 14, 2017

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

The March Hare posted:

PSA: Please keep bringing surgical in against lands.

I mean, is that really a bad idea? It doesn't break the deck like, say, snagging a Tron piece in Modern, but nabbing recurring stuff like Punishing Fire or Loam seems good.

It depends on what he cut, I guess, you might just have even less useful cards. I feel like siding our your FOW and/or daze here is solid (you need to be fast, not reactive), though I'm seeing those in the graveyard so who the gently caress knows.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

daze can go but you need forces to hit the gambles and explorations because the game really gets out of control if those go off

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

daze can go but you need forces to hit the gambles and explorations because the game really gets out of control if those go off

Yeah, you need to keep force and I'm like 100% he was boarding them out for surgical. Also I'm on control not RG so its even worse against me but the deck is rare so I don't blame him for not knowing.

e; Not all of them, obviously, but he only ever showed one the whole game.

The March Hare fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 14, 2017

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

GoutPatrol posted:

My friend plays Sultai in Modern with Ancestral. He says that Push and the Expertise have really pumped the deck up. I played against him with Burn, RG Titan, and Grixis Delver and he won every match.

Do you have a list? Its about time for my every 6 months foray into modern for 2 weeks until I remember why I hate it and quit again.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

L0cke17 posted:

Do you have a list? Its about time for my every 6 months foray into modern for 2 weeks until I remember why I hate it and quit again.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/405124#paper

Still a work in progress. He was a very big UB control player before he shilled out the money for Goyfs and Zen fetches. The biggest problem he said was that there was not a good interaction spells T1, only Serum Visions or discard. Fatal Push gives you ways to stymie aggro or creature ramping decks. The SB he doesn't like but there are alot of Tron, Dredge, and Burn players.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
So what AER cards are people excited to try in Modern/Legacy/Vintage? Fatal Push is a big one obviously but I want to try a couple Hidden Stockpile in BW Tokens and a couple Yahenni's Expertise in the SB of my Mill deck, maybe even MB.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

C-Euro posted:

So what AER cards are people excited to try in Modern/Legacy/Vintage? Fatal Push is a big one obviously but I want to try a couple Hidden Stockpile in BW Tokens and a couple Yahenni's Expertise in the SB of my Mill deck, maybe even MB.

I realize that it's basically a thread meme at this point but it was pointed out to me that Hope of Ghirapur could see play in Affinity, probably in a split with Vault Skirge in certain metagames; having a maindeckable piece of hate for a deck like ad nauseam or something to sacrifice on turn 3 to turn off a Nahiri player's Verdict for a turn or whatever seems like a thing that could be useful. Even against something like infect or suicide zoo(if this deck still exists post Probe ban) you can pop it to make sure they don't suddenly kill you out of nowhere the turn before you kill them.

Also, I think Spire of Industry could be a sidegrade to Glimmervoid. I've definitely killed a Glimmervoid by killing all their artifacts and Spire does tap for colorless for free so it probably deals you, like, one or two damage max instead of randomly getting killed for free once every 8 games or whatever.

Also Also Yahenni's Expertise seems good in Grixis Ancestral Visions decks, if only because it means you won't want to kill yourself when you topdeck an Ancestral on t4

also if trike is still playable in vintage shops Walking Ballista seems like a clear upgrade but man who ever knows with Vintage

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Not leaving behind a 1/1 IS relevant but I'd be shocked if it doesn't see play in bad builds of Shops.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

GoutPatrol posted:

Still a work in progress. He was a very big UB control player before he shilled out the money for Goyfs and Zen fetches. The biggest problem he said was that there was not a good interaction spells T1, only Serum Visions or discard. Fatal Push gives you ways to stymie aggro or creature ramping decks. The SB he doesn't like but there are alot of Tron, Dredge, and Burn players.

Sweet deck, I love now the cheapest card outside of basic lands is tasigur

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

GoutPatrol posted:

so I've played maybe a dozen matches with it now. It seems adequate? Though I absolutely despise Liliana, the Last Hope. She has been universally useless, and in every case where I played her if she was the other liliana she would have had an impact on the game. I'd rather play more liliana of the veil, or even go to like garruk relentless, tiny flip jace, or hell anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Flip Jace is absolute garbage. I lost 3 different games at FNM this week because he was in my desk instead of any real card. Don't play it.