Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Ferrinus posted:

Hold on, let me find any possible object or circumstance that is not somebody's weird sex thing to use as a benchmark for this discussion (cut to your cobwebbed skeleton waiting for my return)

Got distracted, did you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Ferrinus posted:

Hold on, let me find any possible object or circumstance that is not somebody's weird sex thing to use as a benchmark for this discussion (cut to your cobwebbed skeleton waiting for my return)

This is the hill you want to die on? "Eggs from the dickhole, not at all sexual"?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Joe Slowboat posted:

This is the hill you want to die on? "Eggs from the dickhole, not at all sexual"?

That's the exact opposite of what I said.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Ferrinus posted:

I dunno why everyone's freaking out about the body horror guy in a horror game, but Beast's weird focus on the internet is pretty funny.

Because got a whole pile of other things that he's devoted to doing and then there's just two paragraphs about the dickviar.

Also there's a creepy clown, a spurned girlfriend, and a child who's been killing people since the london blitz after he suffocated and ate his entire family.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Ferrinus posted:

That's the exact opposite of what I said.

Sorry, I guess you meant "Eggs from the dickhole, precisely as sexual as any other body horror"?

E: Maybe I'm being a bit aggressive here, but I seriously can't stand the strain of thought that seems to hold 'overtly, creepily sexual body horror' and 'body horror' as being the same thing. One makes people a lot more uncomfortable and has considerably less usefulness at table, and I don't really think that the line is as blurry as you seem to be implying. At least not in this case.

Joe Slowboat fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 12, 2017

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

gourdcaptain posted:

I mean, I know they have Kickstarter commitments, but you think after the uproar someone might mildly want to keep him in check. I guess between this and the stuff going on with Paradox's plans, White Wolf never changes in the long run.

I feel like 2003 to 2011 was a good run.

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 12, 2017

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Ferrinus posted:

"It's theoretically possible that someone could find some sexual enjoyment from any given thing, ergo eggs-from-dicks is totally cool and good." Makes total sense!

Wait no, that other thing. The exact opposite of what you just said.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

MonsieurChoc posted:

I feel like 2003 to 20011 was a good run.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

We do not speak about Changing Breeds.

Also goddamit I meant to type 2011.

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

If I'm wrong, please don't hesitate to tell me. It happens pretty often and I will try to change my opinion if I'm presented with evidence.

Jhet posted:

I agree about the Numen, they're a bit standard, but that's not that big of a deal for me. That's the toolbox and I can inject my own tweaks for each spirit/ghost/goetia as I go. The problem is there's not a great amount of breadth of it, but it comes down to page count. If there's not room, there's just not room. I would love to have seen instead of this Monsters of Beast book is a book dealing with actually building monsters in the CofD. A place to go to start building monsters for any and every game line never happened in nWoD, and I really doubt it'll happen here. I'll get to page through 6 different books to find things again. Even the monster books didn't do a great job of it. There were many new creatures and monsters, but there were no building blocks all put together in one place. So I'm stuck using either Numen or Spells again. It's not the end of the world, but I think it's a missed opportunity.

Mortal Remains had a bunch but it still sort of falls into the same problem, especially since monsters use Willpower as a resource, which feels off. It'd be nice to just scratch it to pieces and start over.

Jhet posted:

Back to page count problems... One of my biggest pet peeves with Mage 2E is that there's only a single Legacy. They reworked legacies into something great, but there just wasn't space to give them enough examples for players (especially new players) to really get a grasp on it. That's one of the major questions that my new group has, is "what do we do about legacies?" This means we're going to spend a lot of time building legacies instead of playing them. I know there are more coming, but it makes me sad to see that the Core went from 5 to 1.

Agreed; I love Legacies in 2e. Rejiggering old ones to 2e formats was a favourite passtime of mine shortly after 2e came out.

What strikes me as strange is how different the page count is between the Mage 1e and 2e cores. The introductory sections are almost identical lengths (like, spookily close, actually; the Introduction through to the spellcasting section's start in 1e is 103 pages, vs 100 for 2e). The actual spellcasting sections differ dramatically, though; 184 for 1e, 96 for 2e.

But then the remaining 97 pages of 1e are spent entirely on storytelling stuff, antagonists, Legacies, and setting material. For 2e, the remaining material that isn't in the CofD core (or earlier in the book) represents about 43 pages.

It's honestly pretty impressive Dave got in as much as he did, considering the need to not only remake Legacies but also Proximi and other things that weren't in the 1e core.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Yawgmoth posted:

"It's theoretically possible that someone could find some sexual enjoyment from any given thing, ergo eggs-from-dicks is totally cool and good." Makes total sense!

Wait no, that other thing. The exact opposite of what you just said.

Joe Slowboat posted:

Sorry, I guess you meant "Eggs from the dickhole, precisely as sexual as any other body horror"?

E: Maybe I'm being a bit aggressive here, but I seriously can't stand the strain of thought that seems to hold 'overtly, creepily sexual body horror' and 'body horror' as being the same thing. One makes people a lot more uncomfortable and has considerably less usefulness at table, and I don't really think that the line is as blurry as you seem to be implying. At least not in this case.

"Someone probably finds this sexy" is not actually a strong criticism of anything. Do you? Is that the problem here?

Like, cards on the table, but eggman is prooobably the single most disgusting (in aesthetic, not moral terms) thing I remember seeing in a nWoD book. In terms of just visceral repulsion I can't think of anything that beats it, and the fact that he specifically brings to mind some kind of grotesque venereal infection rather than just your tongue betraying you or whatever is absolutely part of it. But... so? That's clearly the point. It's a gross-out monster.

Nineball
Mar 27, 2010

He is starting to suspect Kras Mazov *fucked him over* personally with his socio-economic theory. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
The thing that gets me about all the Beast stuff is that it's all nonsense. It feels fine if it's the body horror monster in the body horror game, except if this is how the body horror is handled then Beast is just going to continue being a dull, trite mess. In what ways is penis eggs supposed to be implemented in a game that isn't anything other than a lame plot hook? Defense 10 monster that doesn't do anything?? Beast continues going forward feeling like a game that has no idea what it wants to do except flounder with dull ideas that never come into any come of fruition.

Beast is the game about making bad forum posts and insisting people only call you by your online handle, except you've never been half-assed enough to change your email from when you were 13 so now you're eternally ShadowmasterTaurus69@aol.com, which causes MRAs to shoot you in your penis-egg dripping groin. Null Snyper, really?

e: oh no you poop out evil penis eggs until you stab your own egg-y leaking penis off!!!!!!!!!

Nineball fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 12, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
There have definitely been times when I was reading a World of Darkness sourcebook and thought to myself "there is nothing scary or gross about this at all, what the gently caress, can't you step it up a little?"

At the same time I feel like there's a reasonable middle ground between making GBS threads dick eggs and the EVIL ABYSS SQUIRRELS from M:TAw: Intruders.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

I don't actually like the nauseating orifice ooze stuff at all and much prefer the spooky tree that makes squirrels run in circles, but I can't say they failed to achieve what they were going for.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Ferrinus posted:

"Someone probably finds this sexy" is not actually a strong criticism of anything. Do you? Is that the problem here?

Like, cards on the table, but eggman is prooobably the single most disgusting (in aesthetic, not moral terms) thing I remember seeing in a nWoD book. In terms of just visceral repulsion I can't think of anything that beats it, and the fact that he specifically brings to mind some kind of grotesque venereal infection rather than just your tongue betraying you or whatever is absolutely part of it. But... so? That's clearly the point. It's a gross-out monster.

My criticism was really not 'this is something people find sexy' - I said it was bad writing, gross, and going to make people particularly uncomfortable in a way that is more likely to drive players away from the table than engage them. And the fact that it's gross in ways that just scream one-handed writing, even if that's not literally the thought process behind it, makes that discomfort worse. It may come as a surprise, but that kind of prurience does actually make people less comfortable, in my experience! Players who think weird sex poo poo is happening are way less likely to enjoy themselves than players who think this is above-the-belt body horror, because GMs getting off by torturing players happens and is insanely gross. See: that one 'enter my Magical Realm' comic.
Ultraviolent horror can be like this but for /some reason/ rarely goes into the kind of weird obsession with details that makes this particular example stand out. Why is it worth any wordcount at all to spell out every orifice this guy drips eggs from?
So yeah, this stands out to me as being, of what we've seen of this book, the most likely element to make players leave and never come back.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Joe Slowboat posted:

It may come as a surprise, but that kind of prurience does actually make people less comfortable, in my experience!

I'm on the same page as you here. I just see that description and am like "ah, I see they're trying to make him as stomach-churningly disgusting as they possibly can", which, hey, mission accomplished.

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt
To be honest, I liked the weird symbol that makes animals do inexplicable poo poo in patterns, but that's because one of the things I like about the Abyss is that it's so anti-meaning that half of what it does is completely inexplicable. That's the horror of it. You know it's doing something to undermine reality, but it's so weirdly innocuous that it's hard to figure out what. I will fully confess to never having found a place or use for the numbers-based Abyssal spirit (can't remember its name of the top of my head). As for sex-based horror, it's pretty hard to do that properly without being either creepy/offensive/insensitive and/or just really disgusting and stupid, and given how stupid and offensive Beast already is, I don't think Beast is the line to try it out in.

From a ways back, but:

gourdcaptain posted:

I guess between this and the stuff going on with Paradox's plans, White Wolf never changes in the long run.

What's going on with Paradox? There is a lot of dumpster fire to pay attention to at the moment, so I lose track of a lot of the specifics.

Also Axelgear I would be quite interested in seeing your updated versions of Legacies, because I'm a lazy ST and can't be bothered updating them all myself :blush: I did that for the Fangs of Mara and ugh, so much cross-referencing

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

My favorite thing about the Swarmer is that it's not an intangible demon that happens to be bound to an object, but just a shape with totally arbitrary implicit power. It's the same reason I like "celestial body qigong", which is just a series of bodily postures and motions any shmoe can perform that'll get them corrupted by abyssal energies.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The Sin of Onan posted:

To be honest, I liked the weird symbol that makes animals do inexplicable poo poo in patterns, but that's because one of the things I like about the Abyss is that it's so anti-meaning that half of what it does is completely inexplicable. That's the horror of it. You know it's doing something to undermine reality, but it's so weirdly innocuous that it's hard to figure out what. I will fully confess to never having found a place or use for the numbers-based Abyssal spirit (can't remember its name of the top of my head).

Yeah, it doesn't really work for me. If I were designing a cosmology from scratch it probably wouldn't include the concept of the Abyss in the first place, or at least, it would swap roles with the Supernal; chaos and meaninglessness isn't evil, it's the default state of reality, even when it's unpleasant it's totally familiar and doesn't have an active will to harm you. The horror comes from the possibility that there is a coherent intelligence working behind reality and it made a universe full of suffering and scarcity on purpose.

So basically the God-Machine or the Exarchs.

e: Or the Prince of 100,000 Leaves, but I like that characterization of the Abyss, as compared to folks throwing around "anti-meaning" like that's not just another Tuesday.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 12, 2017

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Joe Slowboat posted:

I guess you're not a fan of the Alien movies then? I mean it's fine if people don't want to use the weird egg penis thing in their games, but getting all bent out of shape that it's in a book nobody here intends to play anyway seems silly.

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

The thing that doesn't sit right about the type of horror the Blind Man brings, is it seems really tacked on, and superfluous, and rather crass, given Beast is somehow meant to be a game that has some deeper message about oppressed minorities, and that fear and horror is about teaching humanity a lesson.

So are these Insatiables meant to be teaching a lesson? Do they have some deeper meaning.

And don't get me wrong, I like freaky body horror (I own Kingdom Death), but for Beast, it seems like shock value slapped on to justify that these monsters are worse than the steaming poo poo tips that Beasts already are.

As for the focus on monsters somehow using the internet for their revenge, I can't help but feel this is all born out of the various rpg/gaming drama that has gone on for the last few years.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Sinteres posted:

I guess you're not a fan of the Alien movies then? I mean it's fine if people don't want to use the weird egg penis thing in their games, but getting all bent out of shape that it's in a book nobody here intends to play anyway seems silly.

The Alien movies have two big advantages, first of which is that a xenomorph makes a lot more sense as something you could interact with mechanically in an RPG (it's a nasty monster that inflicts a status effect that eventually kills you, not something that makes your dick gross and you feel bad about that) and second, the Alien movies are a masterclass in using metaphorical sexual violence to make a good and coherent statement about patriarchy and corporate greed without crossing too far over the line.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The Alien movies have two big advantages, first of which is that a xenomorph makes a lot more sense as something you could interact with mechanically in an RPG (it's a nasty monster that inflicts a status effect that eventually kills you, not something that makes your dick gross and you feel bad about that) and second, the Alien movies are a masterclass in using metaphorical sexual violence to make a good and coherent statement about patriarchy and corporate greed without crossing too far over the line.

I'm not saying it's as good or deftly handled as Alien obviously, but I feel like some of the reaction is oddly puritanical, where people are kind of offended that anything remotely sexual was included rather than just ridiculing it for being bad. The internet stuff seems a lot worse to me than some weird edgy/tryhard penis monster.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

I'm not sure that Alien or even something like Species 2 would be apt comparisons here because those are "oh god it's going to get me, in a sexually perilous way" whereas our friend in the Beast supplement mostly evokes "holy poo poo that would suck". Mind you I did not read him very closely.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Axelgear posted:

Mortal Remains had a bunch but it still sort of falls into the same problem, especially since monsters use Willpower as a resource, which feels off. It'd be nice to just scratch it to pieces and start over.

Agreed; I love Legacies in 2e. Rejiggering old ones to 2e formats was a favourite passtime of mine shortly after 2e came out.

What strikes me as strange is how different the page count is between the Mage 1e and 2e cores. The introductory sections are almost identical lengths (like, spookily close, actually; the Introduction through to the spellcasting section's start in 1e is 103 pages, vs 100 for 2e). The actual spellcasting sections differ dramatically, though; 184 for 1e, 96 for 2e.

But then the remaining 97 pages of 1e are spent entirely on storytelling stuff, antagonists, Legacies, and setting material. For 2e, the remaining material that isn't in the CofD core (or earlier in the book) represents about 43 pages.

It's honestly pretty impressive Dave got in as much as he did, considering the need to not only remake Legacies but also Proximi and other things that weren't in the 1e core.

I'll have a look at Mortal Remains. I pretty much ignored CofD between the initial rules update and when Mage 2e came out, mostly because of the fact that for some reason we still needed fighting styles as a mechanic, but I'm mage-centric, so go figure. (I do get their purpose, but they're not at all useful for my games except as an XP dump.)

I'm really enjoying running Mage 2e for a bunch of new players, but there are a couple things that are more complicated than I'd like (Reaches), but part of that is new system and part of that is Conditions are a bit hit and miss oftentimes. There are plenty of very specific conditions, but I'm still trying to figure out how to use them, and what sort of benefits I can get out of them. Yes, I know I can make them up myself, but that ruins flow when I'm dealing with Paradox and need something more. Also, I'm disappointed that the Paradox Condition examples didn't make it into the card set. I sat there looking for them last night and then got a sad face when I couldn't find them.

I am making note cards for our commonly used spells, because there's just not enough book to go around at the table yet. Although I think one of them is super interested in buying a physical copy now too, so I call that a convert.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Ferrinus posted:

I'm on the same page as you here. I just see that description and am like "ah, I see they're trying to make him as stomach-churningly disgusting as they possibly can", which, hey, mission accomplished.
It's the difference between "trying to make this gross thing gross and succeeding" which is all fine and to be expected (or at least hoped for), and "painstakingly belaboring this gross thing to such a degree I have to wonder how many hands are being used for typing and if that number is zero" which is gross for entirely the wrong reasons. Kinda like how the Infernals book for 2e Exalted or certain parts of The Book of Vile Darkness for 3e D&D grosses people out for entirely the wrong reasons.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Sinteres posted:

I'm not saying it's as good or deftly handled as Alien obviously, but I feel like some of the reaction is oddly puritanical, where people are kind of offended that anything remotely sexual was included rather than just ridiculing it for being bad. The internet stuff seems a lot worse to me than some weird edgy/tryhard penis monster.

I agree with you that the internet stuff is bad, but here's my take on the bodyhorror/sexmonsters. It's not that sex is bad, or can't be used for horror, it's that everything in the book is just so surface level.

Let's stay on Alien for a moment, because it's such a perfect film. It's clearly about sexual violence -- the facehuggers impregnate you by stuffing eggs down your throat, and the birth happens via traumatic and fatal cesarean section. The monster itself it incredibly phallic, both in its head and its secondary mouth, as well as many of the motions of its tail. Bishop tried to murder Ripley by gagging her with a rolled up porn mag, and when killed sprays white fluid everywhere... I could go on, but I'm sure you all get the idea. It's manages to be about rape and sexual trauma without actually depicting any of it on screen. No one cries out "Oh no, the alien got John Hurt pregnant!" or something, but the body horror of male pregnancy by rape right there in disgusting full view.

What Beast's antagonists are missing is this second level. It gives us a creepy image (egg man), but doesn't follow it up with anything (what does egg man symbolize?). It just tells us that people go crazy because they then cum eggs and mutilate their genitals. It is a fear of STDs, perhaps? But he tricks you via expensive fish eggs... It's just so underdeveloped. With another pass, you could have a much better villain -- perhaps he seduces Beasts by pretending to be their ally, incredibly alluring and sensuous, but quite insistent that you give him something special that you have, a trinket that you've had since you were a kid, your class ring, a DVD set you haven't watched yet; something that maybe you care about a lot, or maybe not so much depending on your temperament, but that you probably wouldn't give to just any stranger. Once you give it to him, he disappears out of your life forever, and there's an itch on your skin that's just so annoying, a constant low level irritation that just does not leave no matter how much you scratch. Once you finally break the skin, that's when the eggs start to leak out...

This is just off the top of my head and I'm sure someone else could do better, but instead we just have another Super Powerful and Completely Underdeveloped Wandering Villain, but this time with fish eggs.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Sinteres posted:

If something is sexual without reason then that's gross and not really a puritanical attitude. Puritanical would be saying that no one should watch Alien because they look like dicks. You ignore the reason they look like dicks and get too offended by the dicks to see the forest. The egg making GBS threads gently caress just shits eggs because it can, not because it means something. That's dumb, gross, and bad horror.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

I feel like 2003 to 2011 was a good run.

It was better. We still got stuff like Exalted: Manual of Infernal Power in 2009, or the entire mess that was Scion.

The Sin of Onan posted:

What's going on with Paradox? There is a lot of dumpster fire to pay attention to at the moment, so I lose track of a lot of the specifics.

It's been a while since I read about this, so I'm probably not remembering the particulars correctly, but there was stuff like saying the NYC book for oWoD should have involved 9/11, telling LARP groups off for banning sexual assault-related stuff, and wanting to make a new version of Gypsies.

gourdcaptain fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 13, 2017

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Toph Bei Fong posted:

I agree with you that the internet stuff is bad, but here's my take on the bodyhorror/sexmonsters. It's not that sex is bad, or can't be used for horror, it's that everything in the book is just so surface level.

Gumball Gumption posted:

If something is sexual without reason then that's gross and not really a puritanical attitude. Puritanical would be saying that no one should watch Alien because they look like dicks. You ignore the reason they look like dicks and get too offended by the dicks to see the forest. The egg making GBS threads gently caress just shits eggs because it can, not because it means something. That's dumb, gross, and bad horror.

I more or less agree about why it's dumb and bad, I just think it's gross in a stupid edgy way and not gross in the 'this is actually offensive and people need to know it's Not Okay' sense, and it seemed to me that the reaction was verging on the latter. Feeling like something has to succeed at being high art to use a dick without being problematic seems like a weird bar to set. Maybe I'm misreading the tone here though.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

gourdcaptain posted:

It was better. We still got stuff like Exalted: Manual of Infernal Power in 2009, or the entire mess that was Scion.

I was 15 in 2003. It's nostalgia speaking.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Ferrinus posted:

VTR Night Horrors book about other types of vampiric monsters out there did a horrifying parasitic egg monster man much better.

Like, if you want to read how such a concept could be utterly loving terrifying in that "Oh god I need to go check my tongue." sort of way, then check it out. Every inch of it is pure unadulterated nightmare fuel right down to the implied stuff. Even down to the implications that if you were infected that society wouldn't even take you seriously if you were still in the phase where you could get treatment since whoops there's no such things as parasitic monsters that turn people into puppets right?

I mean, even the book is aware of the fact that these guys are some of the most disturbing things to be put to pages in the VTR series. Even the book says "You probably can't play these guys as long term characters." because it's by default a doomed story for the protagonists after a certain point is reached. Since hey, the parasite isn't sentient or anything. It's basically an animal that wants to propagate itself and is basically slowly eating the character's brain from the inside out.

I guess that's why I posted that post about "What's the point?" when it came to the Beast antagonist (God please let him be an antagonist. :stonk:). Since how the gently caress does this thing even have teeth compared to the example janitor that had a bad run in with an infectee and is suddenly having terrifying blackout periods where he turns the boiler room at a local high school into his own personal nest to infect all the water (and any students using it) in the school? Hell, the writer/s layered the horror on at the end with a new genre of it.

Edit: Best part is that the book is humorously self-aware. The writer knew this was a hosed up concept to commit to paper and worked it in as an element of the description. One of the early little "penciled" in remarks by a character in the setting is of a Daeva/Daeva wannabe basically saying "Hey! Neat! Guess I can check another internet fetish off my list of things I wish was real!".

Archonex fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 13, 2017

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Sinteres posted:

I more or less agree about why it's dumb and bad, I just think it's gross in a stupid edgy way and not gross in the 'this is actually offensive and people need to know it's Not Okay' sense, and it seemed to me that the reaction was verging on the latter. Feeling like something has to succeed at being high art to use a dick without being problematic seems like a weird bar to set. Maybe I'm misreading the tone here though.

Maybe? I'm not really trying to say it's super problematic and 'Not Okay'. It's just bad taste. Also I just read how he shits out more eggs when he stains his abdominal muscles. He can literally hip thrust out eggs.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

There's room for tasteless splatter-horror in these games. The real cardinal sin on display in all the examples posted is that there's no real hook - caviar man could provide a vividly hosed up scenario for PCs to stumble onto, but he has no identifiable motivations or desires to play off of - he's just an end-boss to find and kill, presumably. The griefer and sea serpent examples provide even less. They read more as ideas for (poorly written) fiction than tools for GMs.

Even a slasher's going to have things to dig into on a narrative level. Maybe the metaphysical mumbo jumbo of Beast does that heavy lifting but as has been endlessly demonstrated, the metaphor inherent to it is confused at best.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Ferrinus posted:

Defending something on the grounds that it successfully obtains from its premises is like complimenting a paper bag for its pleasing shade of brown.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Yawgmoth posted:

It's the difference between "trying to make this gross thing gross and succeeding" which is all fine and to be expected (or at least hoped for), and "painstakingly belaboring this gross thing to such a degree I have to wonder how many hands are being used for typing and if that number is zero" which is gross for entirely the wrong reasons. Kinda like how the Infernals book for 2e Exalted or certain parts of The Book of Vile Darkness for 3e D&D grosses people out for entirely the wrong reasons.

See, you're just making this about your own insecurities. When your objection to something that nauseating is "oh my god, think of how many people find this sexy" that makes me wonder about you, not the material.

Archonex posted:

VTR Night Horrors book about other types of vampiric monsters out there did a horrifying parasitic egg monster man much better.

Like, if you want to read how such a concept could be utterly loving terrifying in that "Oh god I need to go check my tongue." sort of way, then check it out. Every inch of it is pure unadulterated nightmare fuel right down to the implied stuff. Even down to the implications that if you were infected that society wouldn't even take you seriously if you were still in the phase where you could get treatment since whoops there's no such things as parasitic monsters that turn people into puppets right?

I mean, even the book is aware of the fact that these guys are some of the most disturbing things to be put to pages in the VTR series. Even the book says "You probably can't play these guys as long term characters." because it's by default a doomed story for the protagonists after a certain point is reached. Since hey, the parasite isn't sentient or anything. It's basically an animal that wants to propagate itself and is basically slowly eating the character's brain from the inside out.

I guess that's why I posted that post about "What's the point?" when it came to the Beast antagonist (God please let him be an antagonist. :stonk:). Since how the gently caress does this thing even have teeth compared to the example janitor that had a bad run in with an infectee and is suddenly having terrifying blackout periods where he turns the boiler room at a local high school into his own personal nest to infect all the water (and any students using it) in the school? Hell, the writer/s layered the horror on at the end with a new genre of it.

In fact that Night Horrors book is exactly what I was thinking of as I wrote my post. When I think of the tongue-replacer blood worm I think "oh, cool" not "urgh, I wish I hadn't eaten anything" because at the end of the day it's still something that sneaks around killing people rather than just ruins your life with the worst venereal disease conceivable. The Night Horrors things don't actually make me squeamish because at some level they're fully sick instead of fully sickening.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Ferrinus posted:

See, you're just making this about your own insecurities. When your objection to something that nauseating is "oh my god, think of how many people find this sexy" that makes me wonder about you, not the material.
But I'm not insecure about this at all. You're projecting at best and just making bullshit up at worst, just like you always do. Conveying tone through text is a definite Writing Thing, and if your writing tone is "I am jacking off to this" that's fine as long as you sell it as such. If you sell your dumb jackoff material as generalized gaming material, that's not cool. To use a D&D parallel, there's a reason that the Book of Vile Darkness gets eyerolls and disgusted scoffing, while the Book of Erotic Fantasy gets a mild chuckle: the former tries to paint itself as "mature gaming for mature people" and the latter all but outright says "this is the book if you want to play Oglaf using D&D rules". So if I read a passage in a book for a game that isn't about playing sex monsters and all the things they gently caress/are hosed by and it sounds like someone just pasted something from their latest literotica entry, I'm gonna look at it with the same disdain I would use if someone said they had a really fun and quick-playing board game and pulled out Monopoly.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Ferrinus posted:

In fact that Night Horrors book is exactly what I was thinking of as I wrote my post. When I think of the tongue-replacer blood worm I think "oh, cool" not "urgh, I wish I hadn't eaten anything" because at the end of the day it's still something that sneaks around killing people rather than just ruins your life with the worst venereal disease conceivable. The Night Horrors things don't actually make me squeamish because at some level they're fully sick instead of fully sickening.

I gotta disagree with you on pretty much all counts. It literally takes over your life piece by piece until even your body has been subverted by it. It's basically what's disturbing about cordyceps, transmitted diseases, zombies, and parasites that replace vital parts of the organs (like the tongue) all rolled into one horrifying mix.

It's parasitic in the worst way. How is it not ruining your life? By the time you wake up and realize your tongue's been eaten and replaced by a horrifying lifeform it's too late. You're already a dead man. The only question is just how much you're going to suffer and make others suffer before you lose your sense of self and start spreading the infection further. And even if you do that it kills you in the end.

The example character is a perfect example of this. He starts out as your average janitor at a school and by the end he's a near brain dead zombie that's being worn like a suit and is preparing to spread the infection. There's not even much of the original person left. And what's left of him probably likes it due to how he's being manipulated biologically. Assuming there is any of him left.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jan 13, 2017

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Yawgmoth posted:

But I'm not insecure about this at all. You're projecting at best and just making bullshit up at worst, just like you always do. Conveying tone through text is a definite Writing Thing, and if your writing tone is "I am jacking off to this" that's fine as long as you sell it as such. If you sell your dumb jackoff material as generalized gaming material, that's not cool. To use a D&D parallel, there's a reason that the Book of Vile Darkness gets eyerolls and disgusted scoffing, while the Book of Erotic Fantasy gets a mild chuckle: the former tries to paint itself as "mature gaming for mature people" and the latter all but outright says "this is the book if you want to play Oglaf using D&D rules". So if I read a passage in a book for a game that isn't about playing sex monsters and all the things they gently caress/are hosed by and it sounds like someone just pasted something from their latest literotica entry, I'm gonna look at it with the same disdain I would use if someone said they had a really fun and quick-playing board game and pulled out Monopoly.

Okay, let's see your analysis of the text in which you persuade us that the Beast book writes up egg dick guy in a lurid and sexual tone appropriate for causing arousal. Feel free to cite literotica in order to prove similarities in style.

Archonex posted:

I gotta disagree with you on pretty much all counts. It literally takes over your life piece by piece until even your body has been subverted by it. It's basically what's disturbing about cordyceps, transmitted diseases, zombies, and parasites that replace vital parts of the organs (like the tongue) all rolled into one horrifying mix.

It's parasitic in the worst way. How is it not ruining your life? By the time you wake up and realize your tongue's been eaten and replaced by a horrifying lifeform it's too late. You're already a dead man. The only question is just how much you're going to suffer and make others suffer before you lose your sense of self and start spreading the infection further. And even if you do that it kills you in the end.

The example character is a perfect example of this. He starts out as your average janitor at a school and by the end he's a near brain dead zombie that's being worn like a suit and is preparing to spread the infection. There's not even much of the original person left. And what's left of him probably likes it due to how he's being manipulated biologically. Assuming there is any of him left.

Yeah, it's awesome. What it isn't is viscerally revolting. If you get owned by the egg guy, you're not a dead man, or even particularly dangerous to anyone. You're just wretchedly disgusting in a way that you probably can't even bear to describe to your doctor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

Toph Bei Fong posted:

\Once you finally break the skin, that's when the eggs start to leak out....

What's interesting to me is that at a basic level, both this statement and egg pee monster convey the same notion to make you squirm (there are now weird eggs inside you), but I find the above quote a more disturbing image than what we got. I'm not 100% sure why. I think at least part of it the emphasis of difference with stuff under the skin. Like, eggs coming out your dick is gross and weird, but your junk is still basically doing what its supposed to, ejecting stuff that shouldn't be there. Whereas them under the skin really drives home the point that your own body is now doing things and changing in ways that are incomprehensible.