Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Niwrad posted:

Half the NFL playoff teams this year weren't in it last year. The teams that made last year's Super Bowl didn't even make the playoffs this year. The favorites to win the NFC won 4 games last seas,on. I know there are a few teams that are always up near the top but I think the NFL has some decent parity year over year. Can't think of another sport where you can rise and fall so quickly.

Counterpoint: Packers, Patriots, Steelers, Texans, Seahawks, and Chiefs are back. The NFC has halfway decent parity, if you ignore the Packers. The AFC? Nothing but Patriots, Steelers, and Ravens, with the Texans taking the place of the Colts as of late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

and yet NBA ratings are up with only the Warriors, Spurs, & Cavs having a chance at the title.

People don't like the NFL because the games take 3 and a half hours and you have to watch over 9000 commercials.

It's nice to believe the other stuff as a moral tendency of the universe towards "what's right", but the reality is that the average person doesn't give a poo poo about Goodell, domestic abuse, or concussions or only does when their player gets suspended.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

straight up brolic posted:

People don't like the NFL because the games take 3 and a half hours and you have to watch over 9000 commercials.

College football games routinely go over 4 hours and have 19,000 commercials, yet I don't hear anyone concern-trolling about their ratings (which, incidentally, were down for the title game). Length of game has nothing to do with it.

If people gave a poo poo about morals or parity they wouldn't be watching college football.

Benne fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jan 12, 2017

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

College football ratings are also down (if insignificantly so)

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

DJExile posted:

Trying to market most entertainment products to a larger audience than just drunk males isn't a bad thing, FYI

Not what I mean't.

It's not that marketing towards women is a bad thing, and it's not that there wasn't female football fans in year prior. They just weren't the type the NFL was trying to reach. I'm going to use the muni lot as an example. Now the Browns fanbase is very similiar to the Bills, Raiders Packers, Steelers, Vikings,, Bears etc. Blue Collar types, people that generally are trying to bring a "keg party" atmosphere".

When I drink in the muni lot? I see people of all sorts of backgrounds, racial identities, and both sexes walking around having a blast. It's not a "Boys day out" thing. Women get drunk too and have a blast.

But...this is not who the NFL tries to get any more. They want it to be more so oriented towards "Families". No cursing, No smuggling in booze, etc, etc. I mean it's hosed up I would see guys getting kicked out of Cleveland Browns Stadium because their team of security cameras caught them on camera for smuggling in a flask. Some screeching security lady flipped out on them in the most insane way.

That's what I'm getting at. Football isn't family. This isn't a taping of "American Idol". You don't need to get women to watch who don't give two shits about football. Rather, it's far better that you keep women who are actually into what you're all about.

e: And frankly the NFL treats female fans like idiots. Let's not even kid ourselves here.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I consistently watched the NFL last year and have barely maintained interest this year. Reasons are:
1. Commercialization of the NFL being rammed down our throats. Whether literal commercials or in-game product placement and sponsorships. Which leads to...
2. The NFL being so blatant and rear end in a top hat-ish about their price gouging and money grabbing.
3. Gary Kubiak's offense
4. Really inconsistent play from teams this year. I feel like the level of play in the league has dropped overall. But I can't really back this up other than to point to a lot of dumb, sloppy games where offenses just looked like poo poo and couldn't execute against inferior defenses.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

FuzzySkinner posted:

I feel like this has been coming down the pike for a while.

I think one of the biggest mistakes in hindsight was not awarding Baltimore the AFC Expansion franchise in '93 and perhaps St. Louis as well. This kinda led to a domino effect where Cleveland lost a team, LA lost two, Houston lost a franchise and a lot of cities where the NFL is kinda "lukewarm" in terms of support wound up getting franchises.

If the NFL brought in the Stallions and Bombers then the Rams would've moved to Charlotte and the Browns to Jacksonville. All four cities (as well as Memphis who got the Oilers for a year) were up for expansion and only took established teams when they lost their bid.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Peanut President posted:

If the NFL brought in the Stallions and Bombers then the Rams would've moved to Charlotte and the Browns to Jacksonville. All four cities (as well as Memphis who got the Oilers for a year) were up for expansion and only took established teams when they lost their bid.

To me I question the sunbelt and putting pro franchises down there.

Just feels like more the territory of SEC/ACC sports and (formerly. gently caress you Brian France.) NASCAR to me. I don't mean that as a slam on the south. I mean the Panthers seem like they're doing okay in terms of gathering fans up. But the Titans and Jags feel like they struggle within their own cities at times.

It feels like certain franchises work in certain markets (Braves in Atlanta, Dolphins in Miami, Panthers in Carolina, Saints in New Orleans) and others just seem to be me with indifference.

But yeah, it was a scam that kinda caused that all to spiral out of control really.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

The main problem with the NFL now is and always will be "The Concussion Problem".
The game of hard hits and smash mouth is the pale than it was 20 or even 10 years ago.

And those days are never returning.
You cannot even tackle or sack without getting an automagic 5 to 15 yard penalty.

Defensive positions are so milquetoast and restricted that unless you get a pick you have no other purpose to serve.

The playoff system is yawn. Look at last Wild Card weekend... all of the games were loving blowouts with only Packers/Giants even remotely interesting until the Giants committed Hari-Kari on the field in the 3rd Quarter and simply gave up.

And everyone knows the NHL doesn't really matter until playoff time when poo poo really goes off the chain. Maybe I'm jaded or stupid or both but the NHL playoffs run circles around anything the NFL, NBA or MLB have to offer.

MLB playoffs has that tinge of mystique but the NBA and NFL playoffs are predestined monkey-gently caress exercises.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
The NBA playoffs are predestined, like, if a team is up 3-1 in the finals, they won't blow that.

Like, ever.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

American football is dead, long live English football

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

FuzzySkinner posted:

To me I question the sunbelt and putting pro franchises down there.

Just feels like more the territory of SEC/ACC sports and (formerly. gently caress you Brian France.) NASCAR to me. I don't mean that as a slam on the south. I mean the Panthers seem like they're doing okay in terms of gathering fans up. But the Titans and Jags feel like they struggle within their own cities at times.

It feels like certain franchises work in certain markets (Braves in Atlanta, Dolphins in Miami, Panthers in Carolina, Saints in New Orleans) and others just seem to be me with indifference.

But yeah, it was a scam that kinda caused that all to spiral out of control really.

You do know that Charlotte, Tampa, Jacksonville, and Nashville never had teams back in the day because the Redskins considered the south their territory, right? This is the entire reason that SEC football is so popular today.

edit: After the NFL expanded to New Orleans (thanks to arm twisting by congress) and Atlanta (Offered originally by the AFL as a consolation for not getting the Chiefs), the two major college football powers in those cities, Tulane and Georgia Tech, became also-rans within 20 years.

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jan 12, 2017

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

straight up brolic posted:

College football ratings are also down (if insignificantly so)

Well huh. I had to go and check this because last I heard (week 6 or so) they were up 5 percent year over year but you're right. Their ratings kept dropping as the season went along. As for the National Title game having lower ratings than last year, I'm putting that square on the game ending at like 1am Eastern time. I was watching a bit of the first half streaming but once I figured out how late that game was ending I was not going to stay up and watch that on a work night. They really should just play the title game on the weekend.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Robnoxious posted:

The main problem with the NFL now is and always will be "The Concussion Problem".
The game of hard hits and smash mouth is the pale than it was 20 or even 10 years ago.

And those days are never returning.
You cannot even tackle or sack without getting an automagic 5 to 15 yard penalty.

Defensive positions are so milquetoast and restricted that unless you get a pick you have no other purpose to serve.

The playoff system is yawn. Look at last Wild Card weekend... all of the games were loving blowouts with only Packers/Giants even remotely interesting until the Giants committed Hari-Kari on the field in the 3rd Quarter and simply gave up.

And everyone knows the NHL doesn't really matter until playoff time when poo poo really goes off the chain. Maybe I'm jaded or stupid or both but the NHL playoffs run circles around anything the NFL, NBA or MLB have to offer.

MLB playoffs has that tinge of mystique but the NBA and NFL playoffs are predestined monkey-gently caress exercises.

Thank you for your opinion, Skip Cowherd.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

All I know is that I want to see more Australian Rules Football on TV at a time I can watch instead of like 4am.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Robnoxious posted:

9 champions in 10 years = predestined monkey-gently caress exercise
6 champions in 10 years = the most exciting playoffs in sports

Got it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Akileese posted:

Well huh. I had to go and check this because last I heard (week 6 or so) they were up 5 percent year over year but you're right. Their ratings kept dropping as the season went along. As for the National Title game having lower ratings than last year, I'm putting that square on the game ending at like 1am Eastern time. I was watching a bit of the first half streaming but once I figured out how late that game was ending I was not going to stay up and watch that on a work night. They really should just play the title game on the weekend.

The CFB playoffs as a whole have dropped hard in ratings because the committee was convinced that people would watch the games on New Years Eve. A couple years ago this meant Oklahoma was in a national semifinal game that kicked off at 3PM Central Time on a weekday. :psyduck:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

DJExile posted:

The CFB playoffs as a whole have dropped hard in ratings because the committee was convinced that people would watch the games on New Years Eve. A couple years ago this meant Oklahoma was in a national semifinal game that kicked off at 3PM Central Time on a weekday. :psyduck:

Also, there have unfortunately been only two semifinal games out of six so far that were any good (OSU-Alabama in the first one and Oklahoma-Clemson last year). All three title games have been great though.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DJExile posted:

I think this was probably one of the few years where it was fine to have the playoff games on NYE instead of NYD, if only because it was on a Saturday. The problem with the whole "New Years Six" is that they want to avoid stepping on the other bowls.

Honestly, they should have it the Saturday before New Years, but that leads to fun times with a bowl that was supposed to be that day. So dunno.

There's too many bowls anyway, even if they do draw in viewers.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
There should actually be more bowls.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

iospace posted:

Also most of Indy Car, except the opening race, the races before and after the Indy 500, and the Indy 500. ABC has those.

I'll keep that the next time I want to watch ARCA.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Over the last couple years everyone I know (here in Toronto) just cares less and less about the product. We used to get together to watch primetime games but now no one gives a gently caress.
To me, it's not so much the concussions/violence (because I always knew I was watching a bloodsport) but the product just seems much worse. I used to enjoy watching a full game and now I don't think I could sit through four quarters. Combined that with the insane amount of commercials, old honkey announcers, and hot takers talking about toughness and THE GUYS WHO PLAY THE QUARTERBACK POSITION IN THE NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE, it seems very unpleasant to watch a full game.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The NFL seems to also have zero degree of self-awareness, too. It's so sanitized and "corporate" probably isn't the right word, but just soulless. At least in college football I get chaos results, different offensive systems, nutball crowds, and Clemson's linebacker making out with the championship trophy then basically turning into a hyped up life coach in his interview.

There isn't a lot of choice either. It doesn't help when every Thursday night game is 100% trash, and on top of that my TV market (Detroit/Toledo) means my Sundays would show me the games of two laughingstock franchises in Detroit and Cleveland, then whatever Fox puts on at 4PM. If I want to watch anything else on Sunday afternoon I'm either paying a shitload for Sunday Ticket or watching RedZone. That leaves me with a national Fox game that might not suck, and SNF. Meanwhile if I don't like the game that's on at noon on Saturday on ESPN, I can jump to ABC, ESPN2, ESPNU, FS1, Big Ten Network, CBS, SEC Network, or Fox Sports Net, all of which are going to have different games. Then I'm going to get another batch at 4PM, and another at 7PM, and another at 9-10PM.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DJExile posted:

The NFL seems to also have zero degree of self-awareness, too. It's so sanitized and "corporate" probably isn't the right word, but just soulless. At least in college football I get chaos results, different offensive systems, nutball crowds, and Clemson's linebacker making out with the championship trophy then basically turning into a hyped up life coach in his interview.

There isn't a lot of choice either. It doesn't help when every Thursday night game is 100% trash, and on top of that my TV market (Detroit/Toledo) means my Sundays would show me the games of two laughingstock franchises in Detroit and Cleveland, then whatever Fox puts on at 4PM. If I want to watch anything else on Sunday afternoon I'm either paying a shitload for Sunday Ticket or watching RedZone. That leaves me with a national Fox game that might not suck, and SNF. Meanwhile if I don't like the game that's on at noon on Saturday on ESPN, I can jump to ABC, ESPN2, ESPNU, FS1, Big Ten Network, CBS, SEC Network, or Fox Sports Net, all of which are going to have different games. Then I'm going to get another batch at 4PM, and another at 7PM, and another at 9-10PM.

NFL TV Rules! Because old draconian rules are fun:

1. If a team does not sell out the stadium, there is a 75 mile radius TV blackout. Packers have two zones, centered around Green Bay and Milwaukee, but this is moot given it's the Packers and they always are sold out. I don't know how often this happens in practice, either. However, this isn't the problem point.
2. Home market games preempt all other games if in the late slot. This can be good or bad, depending on if there's a game going that lasted way too long but is long since decided, or an OT thriller being cut off.
3. No opposing games are allowed for a home team's game in that market (again, Green Bay has the twin market). This is waived for Week 17, allowing both CBS and FOX to air two games during the day in every market because playoff and draft implications. According to Wikipedia, have the rules:
  • If a local franchise's broadcast is being held at home in the early game of a doubleheader, the other network (which shows the single game) may only show a game during the late time slot;
  • If a local franchise's broadcast is at home in the late game of a doubleheader, the other network (which shows the single game) may only show a game during the early time slot;
  • If a local franchise is playing at home, and the broadcast is shown by the network carrying only one game, the other network (which shows the doubleheader) may only air one game in that market; either early or late (the slot which the local franchise is not playing);
  • If a local franchise is playing an away game, and the broadcast is shown by the network on which it is the only NFL game it is airing that week, the other network (which shows the doubleheader) may air both of their games;
  • If a local franchise is playing on the road on the network carrying a doubleheader, the other network can air its single game in the same timeslot opposite the local franchise's game. However, affiliates in the local franchise's primary market almost always opt against it because such an action usually ensures low ratings. The "no opposing game" policy is a key reason why single game fixtures on the East Coast are occasionally scheduled for the late time slot.

And that is why NFL TV scheduling is rear end. Yeah they want to get more butts in the seats, but nearly every team is in perpetual sellout now so it's moot.

e:
Was the only good Thursday Night Football game in recent memory the Packers/Lions game where Rodgers made the entire Lion's secondary his bitch?

On that note of Thursday Night games, I have no problem in two situations: opening game of the season. Give the defending champs a spotlight game to start things off. Cool. And Thanksgiving, because more football on Thanksgiving is never a bad thing.

iospace fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 12, 2017

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

interrupting why is the nfl a dying league for this

https://twitter.com/richarddeitsch/status/819596667695599617

https://twitter.com/richarddeitsch/status/819597847683354626

Vertical Lime fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 12, 2017

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

MourningView posted:

Just let every team have a free-for-all-schedule-whatever-you-want game outside of the major bowls in late December so everyone can practice until January 1st or whenever the cutoff for bowl teams is.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

From the article

Richard Deitsch dunking on ESPN posted:

There is risk here in dissolving a program that has generated significant revenue for ESPN. There is also the larger question of what this means for the SportsCenter brand in the morning. On Jan. 3, ESPN moved the 10 a.m. to noon ET version of SportsCenter to ESPN2 in order to prop up First Take, the long-running debate show that occasionally threatens NBA MVPs such as Kevin Durant. Greenberg's new show could be branded as a SportsCenter, which is the current trend ESPN management is heading with personality-driven shows for its flagship brand. It is unclear what would happen to the current SportsCenter AM talent, though anchor Kevin Negandhi recently signed a long-term deal with the company.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

All non-playoff (and non NY6) bowls should be randomly drawn only because seeing like Georgia thrown into the famous potato bowl is funny to me

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Codependent Poster posted:

All I know is that I want to see more Australian Rules Football on TV at a time I can watch instead of like 4am.

NBC Sports showing Premiership Rugby has been amazing and I hope they keep it up.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

It seems NBC has taken over the "show the weird sports" niche that ESPN gave up.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

iospace posted:

It seems NBC has taken over the "show the weird sports" niche that ESPN gave up.
It's not official until they get the contract to show Aussie Rules Football in the U.S.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

NBCSN needs to restart and air Pro Beach Hockey.

Web Warriors 4 Lyfe

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mind_Taker posted:

NBCSN needs to restart and air Pro Beach Hockey.

Web Warriors 4 Lyfe

my man :cool::respek::cool:

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
The NFL got rid of the sellout or blackout rule because the FCC said they weren't allowed to enforce it anymore

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I don't understand why they'd split up Mike and Mike. Is there a big clamoring for Mike Greenberg these days? Their show seems like the best case scenario for each. Non-offensive generic sports talk that gets really good guests.

Richard Deitsch is also weird creep.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Niwrad posted:

I don't understand why they'd split up Mike and Mike. Is there a big clamoring for Mike Greenberg these days? Their show seems like the best case scenario for each. Non-offensive generic sports talk that gets really good guests.

It's as if network heads have no loving clue what they're doing and are quite possibly the most overpaid worthless scum in the economy.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Josh Lyman posted:

It's as if network heads have no loving clue what they're doing and are quite possibly the most overpaid worthless scum in the economy.

Nope, NFL owners

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

AsInHowe posted:

Nope, NFL owners
Hey now, Jerry Jones put together the league's best offensive line and a legitimate Super Bowl contender :v:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

MourningView posted:

I'm perfectly fine with them finding a way to get every single team that has 5 or more wins (a general sign they were able to win against similar skilled opponents at least twice, thus making the chance that the bowl is a good game likely) a bowl.

Niwrad posted:

Is it possible they want to break up? I don't know if it's the same for sports radio but most two man radio duos at least begin to resent (if not outright and openly hate) each other after a few years.

Rick fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jan 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Sometimes college games don't go to commercial after a touchdown and goes right to the kickoff. I watch college football.

I'm pretty sure there's four commercial breaks between a touchdown and the other team's first down. I don't watch as much pro as I used to.

Also ever since the words "football move" happened, does anyone actually know what a catch or interception actually is?