Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Jack Gladney posted:

It really scares me to see so many nazis in the comments, like maybe an odd-hundred or so. I've never seen so many of them as I have in the last two or three years. Where do they come from and what does it mean that they have an organized response to commenting on youtube. It doesn't seem like what I understand to be trolling. I don't know how I'd go about opposing them.

From the video

I really wanna smack this person about the head and shoulders with their keyboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Jack Gladney posted:

It really scares me to see so many nazis in the comments, like maybe an odd-hundred or so. I've never seen so many of them as I have in the last two or three years. Where do they come from and what does it mean that they have an organized response to commenting on youtube. It doesn't seem like what I understand to be trolling. I don't know how I'd go about opposing them.

My friend have you heard of Stormfront

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I suppose it is worth repeating that the contrapoints guy (some commenters call him Nick, I think) was himself an mra who came to rethink his position as he encountered new evidence and arguments. So it's not totally hopeless.

I wish there were better data about who these internet nazis are and how trolling fits into their daily activities. Before about a year ago, I had never really read a comment section on youtube or anywhere else. It's really blowing my mind.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jay O posted:

Aramaki.

I don't care what y'all haters say, the trailer looks real good to me.

It does indeed look amazing, my concern though is that it's setting up a big cliche "No, WE are the villains!" plot in bright neon lights with the robotics company she works for, when the whole point of them being cops (even if a specialized division) is as a (relatively) unbiased external perspective on the various facets and subcultures of the surrounding world. The Major being a largely-unknown entity to the world is because she made a drat good job of obfuscating or erasing her own history because she could, not because of an accident.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

PassTheRemote posted:

"Ghost in the shell, starring some honky." - Jay Bauman

I liked this video, because ENDLESS TRASH! Yeah, this year looks a little dire for movies.
John Wick Chapter 2 automatically makes up for whatever trash comes up this year

Plus I have high hopes for Blade Runner 2 and Alien Convent, but those are big blockbusters based off existing properties so I guess they are bad vapid garbage.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Yardbomb posted:

:ughh:

And looking it up laffo, here's the immediate 5 starring names.

Scarlett Johansson
Pilou Asbæk
Takeshi Kitano
Juliette Binoche
Michael Pitt

A whopping 1 japanese man in the 'important name' billing.

At least the Battle Angel Alita adaption sounds promising if only because of how long James Cameron has been trying to get it off the ground.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Don't forget the long awaited sequel to Avatar, you know the white man's furry burden movie.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
I went to high school with The Rap Critic and did lots of community theater with him (he's got one of the most booming, beautiful bass voices I've ever heard, I believe the dude went to college on an opera scholarship). He was always the coolest, nicest motherfucker around. He knows a ton about rap music and the history of it, and has been writing and rapping since he was 12 years old AT LEAST. I used to have a song of his on my Myspace page, I liked it so much! That's all! He's just a really smart, good guy.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

The Golden One posted:

First and foremost; You are but a dog, and I am your master. Secondly; I expected more to be honest! In sharp contrast to most leftists you are actually quite creative and pleasant. Alas, I don't really see any valid arguments. Only trying to tie me in with other groups I have nothing to do with. Strawman arguments as well, there are a few statements which I have never made, which makes the video intellectually dishonest, you can do through my videos and check for yourself, you should have done your research better. Also, quit the alcohol, I guarantee that you will feel more fulfilled and happy without it. All the best :-)

YOU ARE A DOG AND I AM YOUR MASTER.

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

He has nothing to do with those groups who's core ideology he shares verbatim!

Checkmate Jews International Jewry!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Arcsquad12 posted:

I can't take him seriously because all he's doing is reminding me of that part in Yugioh when Kaiba makes Joey dress up like a dog.

Why do I still remember that?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
To be fair, the golden one could take on hbomb and contrapoint in a speedo and hide cloak only fight.

:pervert:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

MariusLecter posted:

To be fair, the golden one could take on hbomb and contrapoint in a speedo and hide cloak only fight.

:pervert:

What patreon and how much money to make this happen.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The weird thing to me with the ghost in the shell trailer is that it looked like they were just remaking the movie but in live action so instead of beautiful animation it's just cg and live action stuff, unlike the speed racer movie which took the original material and adapted on it, both maintaining a healthy amount of nostalgia and respect towards the original material while also adapting and doing something truly unique with the source. Then again, Speed Racer also cast a white person as Speed, though at the same time, the argument can be made that it was more or less an adaptation of the localization where Speed is pretty much just a white american dude instead of being go mifune the japanese racer.

Speed Racer is like...the epitome of anime-to-live-action films tho

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
The more I see of him, the more I'm convinced that The Golden One is actually a DeviantArt picture done by someone who's a functionally "good" artist but has a lovely grasp of human anatomy, rendered to life by some sort of reality warping witch.

I didn't think it was physically possible to sustain a chest that wide on a core/hips that narrow. He looks, no joke, like a character I'd create in a video game as I hosed around with all the appearance sliders to get a sense of their min/max range before figuring out an actual character design.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

nine-gear crow posted:

The more I see of him, the more I'm convinced that The Golden One is actually a DeviantArt picture done by someone who's a functionally "good" artist but has a lovely grasp of human anatomy, rendered to life by some sort of reality warping witch.

I didn't think it was physically possible to sustain a chest that wide on a core/hips that narrow. He looks, no joke, like a character I'd create in a video game as I hosed around with all the appearance sliders to get a sense of their min/max range before figuring out an actual character design.

He looks like Monster Factory's Bart Simpson.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

He looks like Monster Factory's Bart Simpson.

So like Bart Simpson.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

achillesforever6 posted:

John Wick Chapter 2 automatically makes up for whatever trash comes up this year

Plus I have high hopes for Blade Runner 2 and Alien Convent, but those are big blockbusters based off existing properties so I guess they are bad vapid garbage.

yes John Wick 2 is one of my hopes for this year (as well as possibly Kingsman 2), but it feels more like a "this is what I'll need to get through the year" instead of "an added treat along with great movies coming out this year".

Not every sequel to a movie made decades ago can be Fury Road; some of them are going to be Jurassic World, or Crystal Skull. Sorry dude, some movies don't need a sequel.

I want Blade Runner 2 to be good. So the director made Sicario and I love that movie; what gives me trepidation is one of the writers wrote Green Lantern and was a producer of Heroes.

Sorry, I'm not going to apologize for agreeing with them that Hollywood has a systemic issues with over franchising IP, creating a glut of tentpole movies, which I feel is causing a bubble.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

FirstAidKite posted:

Speed Racer is like...the epitome of anime-to-live-action films tho

Holy poo poo that's depressing.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Arcsquad12 posted:

lol imagine being a weird wannabe viking nationalist loser and not drinking

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

How tall is he? He has to be like 5'2", right?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Tatum Girlparts posted:

lol imagine being a weird wannabe viking nationalist loser and not drinking

Dear god, how does he survive in Scandinavia?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Dear god, how does he survive in Scandinavia?

i assume burning rage focused on anyone not Scandinavian, like all the others

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Alaois posted:

i assume burning rage focused on anyone not Scandinavian, like all the others

Drinking heavily is a mandatory part of that though

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
hi I'm the golden one, I want desperately to be a media influenced view of a viking that in no way is like the actual barbarian rear end primitive culture was. I run around in little leather panties and wiggle my pecs for my videos but I'm very straight I assure you, also I don't drink so everything I'm doing is 100% sober and can't be excused that way. I'm very powerful and cool and not one grey hair away from a meltdown.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Roth posted:

I can't take him seriously because all he's doing is reminding me of that part in Yugioh when Kaiba makes Joey dress up like a dog.

Why do I still remember that?

I thought it was Duke Devlin who did that to Joey.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Conrad_Birdie posted:

I went to high school with The Rap Critic and did lots of community theater with him (he's got one of the most booming, beautiful bass voices I've ever heard, I believe the dude went to college on an opera scholarship). He was always the coolest, nicest motherfucker around. He knows a ton about rap music and the history of it, and has been writing and rapping since he was 12 years old AT LEAST. I used to have a song of his on my Myspace page, I liked it so much! That's all! He's just a really smart, good guy.

Dang, I'd love to hear him do some opera stuff!

I don't think he's bad at music or necessarily ignorant overall, just a bad critic. He seems like a great dude in general.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

I thought it was Duke Devlin who did that to Joey.

I think it starts with a dream involving Kaiba? Admittedly my memory is based off when I still thought Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged was funny and maybe shouldn't be trusted.

SkinCrawling
Oct 9, 2012

Trojan Kaiju posted:

I think it starts with a dream involving Kaiba? Admittedly my memory is based off when I still thought Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged was funny and maybe shouldn't be trusted.

Yes, it was first in a dream and later on he was forced to wear one by Duke because he lost a bet to him.

Speaking of dumb merchandise-driven shows, who wants to see a grown man talk about his favorite toys he got from last year? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_QlEY9FdBk

SkinCrawling fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 13, 2017

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Yardbomb posted:

From the video

this reads like lyrics to nazi Parklife

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Yardbomb posted:

From the video

I really wanna smack this person about the head and shoulders with their keyboard.

I see the Jacques Derrida school of "If you actually understood anything I just said then I have failed as the theorist" is alive and well in the Manosphere :allears:

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

nine-gear crow posted:

I see the Jacques Derrida school of "If you actually understood anything I just said then I have failed as the theorist" is alive and well in the Manosphere :allears:

It's like they managed to evoke what it's like to read Theodor Adorno's prose without the issue of it being translated poorly from German.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

What a loving butchery of the English language. Let's try to turn this into something comprehensible.

"Heresiological heuristic" is arguably the most succinct way to describe exactly what he's trying to describe, but it's so impenetrable as to be useless. Basically the gist of this comment is that racism and sexism are just snarl words used to put down "other ways of thinking, man", and because Counterpoints does not describe in detail why racism and sexism are wrong, therefore the video is wrong.

Robotic Folksinger
Jun 27, 2008

I guess a robot would have to be crazy to wanna be a folksinger
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEyHVb4wjXU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I didn't see it posted but Kyle released his Top 10 movies of 2016 list
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL2CbdEVoFY

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

That moment when you discover someone fun on YouTube and then you see they are subscribed to poo poo like armoured skeptic :smith:

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

ZeeBoi posted:

That moment when you discover someone fun on YouTube and then you see they are subscribed to poo poo like armoured skeptic :smith:

Welcome to the last 5 years of my life so far. It's not a fun experience when people you like turn out to be either ignorant of the bastards they're subscribed to or when they are in vehement support of said bigots. Even Doug has the social competence to not be in support of those types. At the very least it helps you to weed out those sorts before they start spouting nazi rhetoric and the white man's persecution complex.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jan 14, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's like one of my friends and Facebook. In his metal music reviews and in person he is super nice, but on Facebook he keeps sharing a bunch of breitbart nonsense and spouting milo quotes.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuZLAHE91_0
The 50th Movie Nights: I-Man!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

I have seen this film exactly once. I was no older than 9.

A guy used to drive around to my village. (I am a person who STILL lives in a village. They still exist) in a van who had VHS cassettes in the back and we'd rent them from him as the nearest video rental place from my village was Birmingham, which is still a 20 min bus ride in order to catch a 40 min train ride away. He was also the only way we could reliably but Garbage Pail Kids card packs and the godawful gum sticks that they came with.

I also got Solar Babies from this guy (you may know this as Solar Warriors - that film about the rollerblading lacrosse mad max Kwisatz Haderach kids and their flotey ball friend who can bestow the miracle of hearing on people) and I fell in love with that film and pretty much obsessed over it for the following 15 odd years until I finally tracked a copy down and realized that it was utter chuff. (although I still do love it)

In my youthful desperation to get this film, my mom sought out every film with the word 'solar' in the title in a vein effort to recapture the bloody thing. One film she found was some bizzare half-live action half animated korean transformers knockoff that I'm still not entirely sure wasn't a fever dream. Especially as it featured a very specific Apache helicopter transformer that I owned that I'm pretty sure even the fandom has forgotten about. (it may have been a gobot, I can't be bothered to find out).

That's my story.

I'm gonna watch Lupa's video now.

• Locked thread