Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The excuse for this is a fairly bad one at that as well. Allegedly, "San Cristobal y Nieves", i.e. Saint Kitts and Nevis in English, was what he meant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
San Escobar is real, and strong, and is my friend: https://twitter.com/rpdsanescobar

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

San Escobar is real, and strong, and is my friend: https://twitter.com/rpdsanescobar

https://twitter.com/rpdsanescobar/status/818908340063440897

:laffo:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
It's good that the Poles are recognizing the saints of other peoples, even Latin American ones.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
In other news, there's hints of a thaw in Poland's long-frozen relations with Westeros, and newly arrived US troops may act as a deterrent against Nilfgaard.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

:cripes:

I've been avoiding news sites as much as possible since Christmas because I'm not ready to go back to being depressed about life yet, but :cripes: is the only thing that comes to mind. If we're going to have authoritarians can they at least not be a pack of incompetent buffoons?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

A Pale Horse posted:

:cripes:

I've been avoiding news sites as much as possible since Christmas because I'm not ready to go back to being depressed about life yet, but :cripes: is the only thing that comes to mind. If we're going to have authoritarians can they at least not be a pack of incompetent buffoons?

No, being a pack of incompetent buffoons seems historically to come along with being a right-wing authoritarian party, and yet somehow does not prevent said parties from ruining enormous numbers of lives.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
A gentle reminder that Poland now has:

- a foreign affairs minister who does not know what other countries we have relations with,
- a defence minister who actively hinders the army getting new equipment,
- an environment minister who supports chopping parts of the largest primordial forest in Europe and culling the largest herd of the European bison,
- a minister of education who is actively aiming to fucks schools up as much as possible in time for the local elections,
- a minister of health who said that the smog (Poland's health resort towns have nine times as much benzopiren in the air as London) is not a problem, since so many people smoke,
- a minister of justice who takes an active role in dismantling the constitutional order,
- I could probably keep on but what for

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Rex Tillerson sounds like good news for Eastern Europe, at least from his statements during his confirmation hearing.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I watch a youtube channel about transit and trams and it seems at least poland is building some nice stations and expanding tram infrastructure. About the only hopeless bits of news I get in my life is a dude's channel on cycling infrastructure in NL and tram news in Poland/Central europe. I can retreat to a happy world of growing bike lanes and trams systems.

Also my grandpa died so my wife is rushing off to Kiev to try to catch the funeral. It's going to be some big state/military deal so it's out of the family's hands which means a bunch of them won't be able to make it because 2 days is way too short notice for people to fly around the world. His hip surgery went well, they said he had a 80% chance of death and the family had to sign a bunch of waivers. Then he made it, beat the odds, became much less depressed and had a whole new lease on life. After some weeks of rehab he was being dropped off at home to continue his rehab at home, and died in the ambulance in the driveway of his own apartment building :(

That's my eastern european news :(

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

drat. :(

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Tevery Best posted:

A gentle reminder that Poland now has:

- a foreign affairs minister who does not know what other countries we have relations with,
- a defence minister who actively hinders the army getting new equipment,
- an environment minister who supports chopping parts of the largest primordial forest in Europe and culling the largest herd of the European bison,
- a minister of education who is actively aiming to fucks schools up as much as possible in time for the local elections,
- a minister of health who said that the smog (Poland's health resort towns have nine times as much benzopiren in the air as London) is not a problem, since so many people smoke,
- a minister of justice who takes an active role in dismantling the constitutional order,
- I could probably keep on but what for
So America Lite then.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Tevery Best posted:

This makes sense, the cigarette's filter will probably catch some of the impurities in the air.

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

GaussianCopula posted:

Rex Tillerson sounds like good news for Eastern Europe, at least from his statements during his confirmation hearing.

I have a hard time believing he will be, but he better be, because it sure as poo poo looks like Russia actually owns Trump.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Fabulous Knight posted:

I have a hard time believing he will be, but he better be, because it sure as poo poo looks like Russia actually owns Trump.

It does, and Tillerson too. Unfortunately for him the Senate contains some of the few remaining genuine Cold Warriors in America and this has gotten them riled, so expect a differently corrupt pro-russian oligarch to take his place.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Guildencrantz posted:

In other news, there's hints of a thaw in Poland's long-frozen relations with Westeros, and newly arrived US troops may act as a deterrent against Nilfgaard.

It remains to be seen which king (or queen) our government considers legitimate. I hope it's Daenerys Targaryen - Macierewicz failed to get workable helicopters for our army, but dragons could be a good replacement.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Gantolandon posted:

It remains to be seen which king (or queen) our government considers legitimate. I hope it's Daenerys Targaryen - Macierewicz failed to get workable helicopters for our army, but dragons could be a good replacement.

The dragons may still be holding a grudge over that whole unfortunate Wawel incident. :ohdear:

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Gantolandon posted:

The way Poland is going, they'd probably pick Radovid.
Plus he is already dressed for the occasion!

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

I watch a youtube channel about transit and trams and it seems at least poland is building some nice stations and expanding tram infrastructure. About the only hopeless bits of news I get in my life is a dude's channel on cycling infrastructure in NL and tram news in Poland/Central europe. I can retreat to a happy world of growing bike lanes and trams systems.

Also my grandpa died so my wife is rushing off to Kiev to try to catch the funeral. It's going to be some big state/military deal so it's out of the family's hands which means a bunch of them won't be able to make it because 2 days is way too short notice for people to fly around the world. His hip surgery went well, they said he had a 80% chance of death and the family had to sign a bunch of waivers. Then he made it, beat the odds, became much less depressed and had a whole new lease on life. After some weeks of rehab he was being dropped off at home to continue his rehab at home, and died in the ambulance in the driveway of his own apartment building :(

Condolences on your loss.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

Man, that's lovely. Sorry about your loss.

I'll try to catch the news about the state funeral, should be worth an article or two if it's that big of a deal.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Sorry about your loss. One of the workers at the school I'm assigned to died last week because of cancer. He was only 52. One of the other English teachers, her mother is getting treatment for cancer in Lviv, so is constantly traveling back and forth on the electric tram 4-5 hours.

Will your grandfather's funeral get press on 1+1 or something like that?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Not sure, just have like 3rd hand info translated through family.
My wife missed the big official military funeral by 30 min, but at least she got to go to the wake. I have no idea about media coverage, might get a mention in the papers or something I don't know.

In eastern european political chat, I notice I've been getting upset at "leftist" friends who are very pro-russia. Not exactly pro-russia, but seems to have this sense that being worried about russia, disliking putin, and thinking the west needs to continue sanctions and actually do things to defend against russian invasions and meddling is some how "stoking a new cold war". There's this whole meme that "clinton wanted war with russia" that even the left has bought into. That giving a poo poo about Ukraine means you're some war-monger and we should just let Russia have eastern europe because anything less would be "antagonizing russia" or "distracting from the real issues at home". Like what the gently caress, I can't be upset about domestic issues and russian invasions at the same time?? Also how is treating all the people of eastern europe as having no right to self determination and having no agency some how "progressive" ? It's like they associate being anti-russia today with being anti-russia like 30 years ago being so closely linked to the right, so clearly being pro-russia today is left?? I don't even know. And these aren't RT reading idiots, they have no love for Putin or Russia but just keep pushing this narrative that doing anything other than disarming NATO and giving Russia their empire back is immoral western imperialism and pointless antagonism towards poor little russia.

I never quite know how to deal with people like that or sentiments like that.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Speaking of reasons left-wing people should not like Russia: the Duma just passed the first reading (IIRC they need 3?) of a bill reclassifying domestic violence as an "administrative" offense, as opposed to a criminal one, with only one vote against. With this change, if I understand it, the first offense carries no punishment. (Or maybe not, t seeks a bit unclear)

https://meduza.io/cards/pochemu-dekriminalizirovat-poboi-v-rossii-eto-plohaya-ideya

https://meduza.io/news/2017/01/11/zakonoproekt-o-dekriminalizatsii-poboev-v-semie-prinyali-v-pervom-chtenii

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 12, 2017

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Baronjutter posted:

In eastern european political chat, I notice I've been getting upset at "leftist" friends who are very pro-russia. Not exactly pro-russia, but seems to have this sense that being worried about russia, disliking putin, and thinking the west needs to continue sanctions and actually do things to defend against russian invasions and meddling is some how "stoking a new cold war". There's this whole meme that "clinton wanted war with russia" that even the left has bought into. That giving a poo poo about Ukraine means you're some war-monger and we should just let Russia have eastern europe because anything less would be "antagonizing russia" or "distracting from the real issues at home". Like what the gently caress, I can't be upset about domestic issues and russian invasions at the same time?? Also how is treating all the people of eastern europe as having no right to self determination and having no agency some how "progressive" ? It's like they associate being anti-russia today with being anti-russia like 30 years ago being so closely linked to the right, so clearly being pro-russia today is left?? I don't even know. And these aren't RT reading idiots, they have no love for Putin or Russia but just keep pushing this narrative that doing anything other than disarming NATO and giving Russia their empire back is immoral western imperialism and pointless antagonism towards poor little russia.

I never quite know how to deal with people like that or sentiments like that.

I suppose they live comfortably far from the Soviet Union's sphere of influence, so they don't feel threatened and therefore it doesn't matter.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Cat Mattress posted:

I suppose they live comfortably far from the Soviet Union's sphere of influence, so they don't feel threatened and therefore it doesn't matter.

Don't worry, that'll change very soon.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/01/donald-trump-picks-mattis-pompeo-aim-russia-170112174751684.html
So Trump is stocking his cabinet with vocal opponents of Russia. It's almost like you can't actually trust anything trump says and we don't really know what the hell his actual policies on subjects are (if he even knows)

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/GOP/status/819668764191059968

On the bright side at least Crimea is included?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
lol they're little children. "Nuh-uh! It wuz you that did it!"

Of course nobody is afraid of Ukraine's imperialist and expansionist agenda, so it's gonna fall flat (outside of the true believers, but they aren't the ones who need convincing).

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So Clinton was owned by Ukraine, I'm so glad america dodged that bullet. When will anyone stand up against Ukrainian global meddling and imperialism?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Baronjutter posted:

So Clinton was owned by Ukraine, I'm so glad america dodged that bullet. When will anyone stand up against Ukrainian global meddling and imperialism?

Well they have videos of her doing extremely weird sex things out of spite so it's not like she had a choice.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Cat Mattress posted:

lol they're little children. "Nuh-uh! It wuz you that did it!"

Of course nobody is afraid of Ukraine's imperialist and expansionist agenda, so it's gonna fall flat (outside of the true believers, but they aren't the ones who need convincing).

Maybe they should have told John McCain and Lindsey Graham before they spent New Years' over there.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Young Freud posted:

Maybe they should have told John McCain and Lindsey Graham before they spent New Years' over there.

Or vice versa.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Russia's upset.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-38592448

BBC posted:

Russia says it views the arrival of more than 3,000 US soldiers in Poland as a threat to its own security.

The troops are part of President Barack Obama's response to reassure Nato allies concerned about a more aggressive Russia.

It is the largest US military reinforcement of Europe in decades.

President Vladimir Putin's spokesman Dmitry Peskov told the BBC that the move "threatens our interests and our security".

"It's a third country that is building up its military presence on our borders in Europe," he said. "It isn't even a European country."

Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Alexei Mechkov called the deployment a "factor destabilising European security".

Poland's Undersecretary of State for Defence Tomasz Szatkowski said the deployment was necessary because of Russia's "large exercises" next to its border and its "aggressive actions in our vicinity - I mean Ukraine and the illegal annexation of Crimea".

More than 80 main battle tanks and hundreds of armoured vehicles have already arrived in Germany and are now being moved into eastern Europe by road and rail.

Part of the US force entered at Poland's Olszyna border crossing with Germany on Thursday.

The plan is to rotate the forces every nine months. Other nations involved in the rotation are Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Romania, Bulgaria and Hungary.

The US Armoured Brigade will also carry out military exercises in the Baltics, all part of President Obama's response to Russia's intervention in Ukraine and to reassure nervous Nato allies.

Last October, Russia sent nuclear-capable Iskander missiles to its exclave of Kaliningrad, sandwiched between Poland and Lithuania, followed a month later by Bastion anti-ship missile launchers.

The arrival of the US forces in eastern Europe comes just days before the inauguration of Donald Trump, who has signalled he wants to improve relations with Moscow.

The election of Mr Trump has raised questions as to whether this heightened US military posture will continue, BBC defence correspondent Jonathan Beale reports from Poland.

Mr Trump's nomination for defence secretary - Gen James Mattis - is likely to be asked about the new administration's attitude to Russia in his Senate confirmation hearing later on Thursday.

SoggyBobcat fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jan 13, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

And tons of western leftists 100% believe Russia's side. "Why is the US destabilizing eastern europe?? Why is the US antagonizing Russia???" it's the weirdest thing.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

I think when it comes to leftist apologia for Russia's behaviour, I think there's two explanations: the first is the simplest, that a lot of leftists have a lot of nostalgia for the Soviet Union, and even though modern Russia has practically nothing to do with socialism, those older Cold War leftists are still probably big Russophiles. The second seems that, for many Western leftists at least, the only sins worth caring about are America's sins, and the sins of any other major actor is seriously downplayed or not acknowledged at all. You'll see this defense used for any dictator that manages to wrap themselves in any sort of pseudo-socialist rhetoric ("Qaddafi gave his citizens universal healthcare, how could he possibly be bad???").

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

OddObserver posted:

Speaking of reasons left-wing people should not like Russia: the Duma just passed the first reading (IIRC they need 3?) of a bill reclassifying domestic violence as an "administrative" offense, as opposed to a criminal one, with only one vote against. With this change, if I understand it, the first offense carries no punishment. (Or maybe not, t seeks a bit unclear)

https://meduza.io/cards/pochemu-dekriminalizirovat-poboi-v-rossii-eto-plohaya-ideya

https://meduza.io/news/2017/01/11/zakonoproekt-o-dekriminalizatsii-poboev-v-semie-prinyali-v-pervom-chtenii
My heart goes out to all the pencil-necked russian husbands who are now left one-on-one with their musclebound kabaniha women.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

woodenchicken posted:

My heart goes out to all the pencil-necked russian husbands who are now left one-on-one with their musclebound kabaniha women.

I know you're joking and all but women's rights NGOs estimate up to 14,000 women and kids die in Russia every year due to domestic abuse. Compare that with about 2000 for the U.S. and you start to see the scope of the problem.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

OddObserver posted:

As people more knowledgeable than me summed up, this pretty much means that the first time a woman is beaten up by her abusI've husband, she has to gather evidence and witnesses herself and even if she succeeds, the most serious punishment the abuser can get is a fine. Which he is probably going to pay from their shared budget.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Baronjutter posted:

And tons of western leftists 100% believe Russia's side. "Why is the US destabilizing eastern europe?? Why is the US antagonizing Russia???" it's the weirdest thing.

US foreign policies are often vilified outside the US, and too often justifiably, so people often believe anti-US propaganda. They also believe anti-Russian propaganda often enough, but that doesn't change the fact that US is moving troops into Poland and Putin isn't right now.

Furthermore, not many people really understand the internal differences between US and Russia (both are officially democracies of some sort), and just put them both in the same basket based on their foreign policies (imperialist shitlord wannabees :v:). Also, US is far more successful in their endeavours than pretty much anyone else, so jealousy is probably also a factor. So when someone says "hey, those US fuckers are putting troops near our borders", the common response is obviously "well, maybe US shouldn't do that, then", rather than "shut your fascist dictator mouth".

If I publicly call Putin a dictator or Russia a fascist state, people generally believe I'm doing a :godwin:, rather than stating actual facts.

Personally, I blame the media. Nobody dares to call someone who looks like a nazi, swims like a nazi and quacks like a nazi a nazi, as if they're somehow scared of offending them or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
Meanwhile in Estonia the (state-run) foundation to promote enterprise or whatever it's called, came up with a newly developed brand for Estonia.

What does this look like to you?

I don't know either.