Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

open24hours posted:

Is that in response to anything in particular? Are there seriously feminists out there who push a tough-on-crime approach as a singular solution to domestic violence?

nah just the daily dose of left renewals newest platform addition verbatim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Senor Tron posted:

In the event that someone had to completely resign (unlikely, they will all defend each other over this to protect themselves) how is that period waiting for a new member to be elected handled? In situations like now when the government only has a super slim majority I assume there is some system in place to stop them getting defeated in votes in the time between an MP resigning and their replacement entering parliament.

nope, just like they may lose votes if they had a member absent and the opposition refused to provide a pair.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

If I could get someone else to pay for it, I'd be taking plenty of holidays to the Great Barrier Reef before it dies too.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/PoliticsFairfax/status/819743670647693312

Time to take out the rubbish.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Where does one watch such things live on a computer?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
^^abc news livestream usually would

:allears:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Higsian posted:

Where does one watch such things live on a computer?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/abcnews24/

They typically broadcast big political press conferences live.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Get rid of her quickly Turnbull, I don't want to miss the Nintendo presentation.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Get rid of her quickly Turnbull, I don't want to miss the Nintendo presentation.

lol if it doesn't have anything to do with the Parliamentarian's gravy train

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Reichminister Nichols trying to deflect away that one of their own defected

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

He's going to hold the Nintendo switch hostage unless he gets another term.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

The man is deeply obsessed

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Former LNP minister Steve Dickson defects to Pauline Hanson's One Nation, with the move giving the party a seat in Queensland's hung parliament.

LOOOOOL

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

:salt:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Synthbuttrange posted:

Former LNP minister Steve Dickson defects to Pauline Hanson's One Nation, with the move giving the party a seat in Queensland's hung parliament.

LOOOOOL

His son is a nasty piece of work, wanting to join the Sunshine Coast council so he could shut down mosques

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

People are getting sick of politicians starting off with one set of policies and then jumping ship to support another
:ironicat:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

adamantium|wang posted:

bathroom crusader is the most moral calling

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

adamantium|wang posted:

I can't read the signature on my phone - which Bill Leak wannabe is this?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Ley has officially resigned

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
He looks so dead inside.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

I'm glad of it.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Was this HIS phone? What an amateur.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

So this is to stem the rot, right? Now they can say "Expenses scandal over. She resigned. Nothing to see here. See you back in cabinet in 6 months Ley"

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Literally laughed out loud

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Amoeba102 posted:

So this is to stem the rot, right? Now they can say "Expenses scandal over. She resigned. Nothing to see here. See you back in cabinet in 6 months Ley"

He's proposing a new independent body to oversee expenses.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Well I can't watch the turnball thing. I only just see Ley's resignation.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Now Tudge please.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Ley resigns, they have an independent body. Does this mean that past transgressions for others will be ignored or will the media go for blood? I kept seeing JBishop stories and now Ciobo is in the news too travel expenses.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Doctor Spaceman posted:

He's proposing a new independent body to oversee expenses.

yeah but has to have an ex-MP on board, so how independent will it be?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

It better be cheaper than the Wii U.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Recoome posted:

yeah but has to have an ex-MP on board, so how independent will it be?

Yeah I dunno. Just saying they're not trying to make it seem like her resigning solves everything.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

open24hours posted:

It better be cheaper than the Wii U.

299 USD, so no.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Turnbull seemed pretty drat shook.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

I don't think I've ever heard One Nation talk about medicinal cannabis. What is even going on.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

Ms Ley famously changed the spelling of her first name to Sussan, after discovering a numerology theory claiming it would bring her an exciting and interesting life.

IT WORKED

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah I dunno. Just saying they're not trying to make it seem like her resigning solves everything.

yes they are

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico

Hahaha I was thinking the same thing once I read about that ridiculous story.

Pretty good day all in all.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Lid posted:

There has long been tension between often white, more affluent feminists calling for greater police powers, greater state intervention and incarceration as a primary response to the issue of violence against women, and those feminists that recognise the police, state intervention and incarceration as sources of violence themselves. Disproportionately, this is violence against Aboriginal people, as well as against poorer people, people of colour, queer people, and other marginalised groups.

Carceral feminism represents a critical misunderstanding of the real-world consequences of deploying the police; that they do not serve to ‘protect’. Ms Dhu was 22 years old when she died in custody in August 2014, in excruciating pain, after being repeatedly refused medical treatment. She had been held in custody for two days, after being arrested for unpaid fines. According to a March 2016 ABC article, a Senior Constable testified in relation to this death that Sergeant Rick Bond told her Ms Dhu was a junkie who was faking illness; Sergeant Bond was frustrated and she wanted to appease him because "his word was law" and he was known to "verbally attack" people who questioned him.

This is not a case of ‘one bad apple’ - the police as an institution is harmful and violent; violence against minorities is business-as-usual, not an outlier. Ms Dhu’s case is just one tragic case out of numerous deaths in custody, overwhelmingly of Indigenous people. Given the numerous instances of police violence towards women, it is dangerously wrong for carceral feminists to promote incarceration and state intervention as solutions to violence against women.

As Victoria Law writes, “Casting policing and prisons as the solution to domestic violence both justifies increases to police and prison budgets and diverts attention from the cuts to programs that enable survivors to escape, such as shelters, public housing, and welfare. Positioning police and prisons as the principal antidote discourages seeking other responses, including community interventions and long-term organising.”

To use an example from NSW, while already underfunded rape & domestic violence frontline services, women’s shelters and community legal centres - some of the primary free services in the areas of domestic violence and family law - are facing massive funding cuts, the NSW Government is pouring billions of dollars into new prison projects, which will undoubtedly increase and perpetuate instances of violence.

Violence against women is an immense and serious problem, but greater state intervention is neither the appropriate nor the non-violent response.

But this is a good and cool opinion?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Yes, because if there's one thing which typifies women being beaten and brutalised by their partners, it's the state's overwhelming response to it.

Won't someone please think of the men :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Or you know it's the state's complete indifference to it unless it allows greater police spending. :shrug:

Like that's a pretty huge wilful misinterpretation there.

• Locked thread