Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

JFairfax posted:

yeah you prob don't want to read Tintin in the Congo

Oooh boy, I have read (some of) that one, I'm afraid. It's, uh...upsetting that a lot of Europe hasn't exactly evolved on its portrayal of black people since then.

I prefer "Gingin in the Congo," incidentally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

blackguy32 posted:

We need more representation, but we also need deeper representation.

I getcha, and that necessitates being put in more important roles, because in any game you get only a handful of characters with any real depth, if you get any depth at all.

Also you've made me realize I don't know nearly enough about my friend since I just compared him to a caricature as a similarity.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

WampaLord posted:

Beyond Good and Evil has a black woman for one of the main characters.

This game rules, but I hate that the creator backpedaled on Jade being black in interviews.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

biracial bear for uncut posted:

This game rules, but I hate that the creator backpedaled on Jade being black in interviews.

How does that even happen?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
To be fair, Jade is pretty racially androgynous. When I played through it, I would have thought she was Hispanic.

Pastrymancy posted:

How does that even happen?

Backlash. I think a lot of developers are afraid of their supposed consumer base. So many people seem to have problems with playing as other races.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

signalnoise posted:

Could someone explain to me what the like, "acceptable" portrayal of black people is supposed to be in fiction?
There is no such thing. Any character is open to criticism, even ones produced by black people.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

signalnoise posted:

Could someone explain to me what the like, "acceptable" portrayal of black people is supposed to be in fiction?

Usually they have darker skin... Like if you would compare them to the regular characters they would be darker in comparison. Other than that it's fiction so you can pretty much just make it up.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Prototype 2 was fun and you get to beat up the idiot main character of prototype 1 so I enjoyed it

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

flashman posted:

Usually they have darker skin... Like if you would compare them to the regular characters they would be darker in comparison. Other than that it's fiction so you can pretty much just make it up.

I disagree. Black characters have their own set of experiences and backgrounds that make them different and it should flow from the story set out. To get kind of nerdy here, think of how Benjamin Sisko's background as a black man, paints his relationship with the Bajorans.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

It depends on how fictional the setting is ya

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Condiv posted:

Prototype 2 was fun and you get to beat up the idiot main character of prototype 1 so I enjoyed it
I played a whole lot of Prototype 2 and I couldn't tell you what the story was. I was having way too much fun dropping the People's Elbow off the Empire State building to read subtitles.

See also Just Cause 2, which was bad to the point of self parody when it came to plot and characterization but also a bucket of giggles.

Why am I blowing up this impoverished third world dictatorship? Just 'cause.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I played a whole lot of Prototype 2 and I couldn't tell you what the story was. I was having way too much fun dropping the People's Elbow off the Empire State building to read subtitles.

See also Just Cause 2, which was bad to the point of self parody when it came to plot and characterization but also a bucket of giggles.

Why am I blowing up this impoverished third world dictatorship? Just 'cause.

the guy was trying to save his daughter, who'd been kidnapped by the retard protag from the first game

but yeah it was lots of fun just to screw around in

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

racially androgynous

I know what you meant here, but this is my favorite malapropism ever. I'm imagining RuPaul starring in that game now.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

flashman posted:

It depends on how fictional the setting is ya

This is a good point. When you're approaching a completely fictional setting, there's nothing wrong with throwing the existing world out the window.

Much better than trying to explain that your fantasy world has no black people because of "realism".

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jan 13, 2017

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Majorian posted:

I know what you meant here, but this is my favorite malapropism ever. I'm imagining RuPaul starring in that game now.

Is it bad that I mentally substituted "ambiguous" there instead of "androgynous" and didn't even notice it until you quoted it?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Majorian posted:

Oops my bad. Ambiguous is the word I'm looking for. Or basically a word where multiple ethnicities are represented.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I would like to reiterate that tone arguments are still dumb and that you don't lead a movement by individually convincing people, because who has the time and energy for that? Being nice to people until they give you your rights is not going to happen.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

blackguy32 posted:

I would like to reiterate that tone arguments are still dumb and that you don't lead a movement by individually convincing people, because who has the time and energy for that? Being nice to people until they give you your rights is not going to happen.

yeah but it makes the privileged people feel good about themselves in the mean time and, in the end, isn't that what matters?

in all honesty, even if you had the time and energy for such a hypothetical, that is all based on the assumption that they can be convinced which is a hell of a stretch.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Yeah, that poo poo thread by LadyAmbien was like distilled White Privilege on an internet forum.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Yeah, that poo poo thread by LadyAmbien was like distilled White Privilege on an internet forum.

I bowed out relatively early when it became obvious it was edging towards the 'ironic racism' GBS chat angle.

What happened to the thread?

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

clearly the problem is unfair modding and bias, not white people incapable of realizing and coming to terms with their own inadequacies w/r/t understanding racism or its impacts

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Let me guess, not one example of modding bias, right?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Doctor Butts posted:

I bowed out relatively early when it became obvious it was edging towards the 'ironic racism' GBS chat angle.

Fear of a black mod

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Koalas March posted:

Fear of a black mod

I have no idea why LadyAmbien thought making that thread public was a good idea. It clearly should have been a mod forum only post.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

WampaLord posted:

I have no idea why LadyAmbien thought making that thread public was a good idea. It clearly should have been a mod forum only post.

To stir poo poo.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Doctor Butts posted:

Lots and lots of crying about a black mod probating white posters for being dogwhistle racists, without actually providing any examples of it happening without justification.

Also lots of crying about freedom of speech or whatever, completely ignoring the bit where they unironically posted that freedom of speech only applies if you're a racist.

Would've been a great honeypot thread for people to probate and eventually ban but it got closed, probably because having to read the reported posts was depressing.

EDIT:

For actual on-topic posting, has anything good happened recently other than Hidden Figures doing better at the box office than the current ultimate white nerd movie?

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jan 13, 2017

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Doctor Butts posted:

Let me guess, not one example of modding bias, right?

One thing mentioned was a debate that went sour where km gave a few probes to one side and mb shoulda given some to the other side (I did not read it so I don't know but they were 6s so I don't really care either)

Another thing was neurolimal constantly referring to how this thread is bad and his probation was unfair because it's not for debate and he didn't know that. Even though the first rule in the op is to shut up and listen...?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

I'm waiting on the coffee to finish brewing so forgive me if I'm being dense, but what does this mean?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'm waiting on the coffee to finish brewing so forgive me if I'm being dense, but what does this mean?
Six-hour probations

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

Six-hour probations

Literally the mildest punishment we have but the pure salt they have created could fill the oceans.

There's one poster still mad about his only 6 hour probation. He's only had one ever and he's still mad about it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Sixers make people insane more than any other probation. I've given people entire months without a peep, but sixers break brains. And it's not just me, or just recently. This is something mods have talked about going back years.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I'm not gonna comment in LA and her intentions or whatever (and I don't think anyone else really should) but Neuro has been removed from this thread for making GBS threads it up before, by other mods no less.

He does not get to come back, with no introspection whatever and refuse my pretty weak caveat that if he's gonna post here he's got to treat the black posters with respect.

If you literally can not say 'Yes, I will treat black people with respect" you do not belong here. Or anywhere, frankly.

You literally can not have any discourse with someone who straight up says nah I'm not gonna treat you like a human being. And yes I will probate you because you're being racist and dumb. Anyone who has a problem needs to stay out.if negrotown and post their nonsense elsewhere.

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jan 13, 2017

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

FactsAreUseless posted:

Sixers make people insane more than any other probation. I've given people entire months without a peep, but sixers break brains. And it's not just me, or just recently. This is something mods have talked about going back years.

People get pissy that they got called on for something they believe they should have gotten away with as opposed to getting owned for something they know is going to land them in trouble.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Oh, I thought it was some weird way of censoring calling someone a dick.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Oh, I thought it was some weird way of censoring calling someone a dick.
Why would anyone censor that, you dick?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Did I mention that I haven't had my coffee yet?

EDIT: Anyway, it looks like someone has started going on a spree of killing black women in Georgia again.

A few years ago it was all around a rural college campus in West Georgia, and now this week there have been three bodies found that I've seen stories about in quick if-you-aren't-listening-you'll-miss-it segments.

One poor woman was stabbed to death in her car in her driveway and left there for a relative to find, another woman was found in a total stranger's front yard when the person investigated a plastic storage bin that had been left in their front yard overnight. I don't know the details of the third woman because it was literally a blurb about another dead woman in a suburb.

Some really hosed up poo poo is going down and nobody cares because it's being drowned out in fake news stories about the incoming president's love of watersports.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jan 13, 2017

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

FactsAreUseless posted:

After a month you've probably stopped caring, but internet anger is strong enough to last 6 hours, I would assume.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Doctor Butts posted:

Ever see the end of Reservoir Dogs?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Another problem is that people look at specific posts, without any context or knowing the history of that person's interactions here or with other posters.

So they get all up in arms about poo poo they don't know acting like people are getting in trouble for micro infractions and miss the big picture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

My post wasn't about forums drama, but rather this notion that has popped back up in the age of Trump that if only people were nicer, then we can win converts to our side. I can be nice, but the kind of ally you want is one that does it of their own will, not one that needs to be coaxed and convinced little by little.

• Locked thread