Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe
Finally, my tortoiseshell cat has come out of her shell - I was beginning to wonder if she would at all (have had her for almost a year now!) Now she spends every night snuggled up in bed, yells at me if I'm not getting her food fast enough at meal times, and wanders around the house sometimes just meowing to hear herself talk. It's really nice and I wish she would have done this earlier because she really is an affectionate cat.

We'll see if she still feels happy and cuddly after her tooth extractions next week, oh boy oh boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

Flying Leatherman posted:

Finally, my tortoiseshell cat has come out of her shell - I was beginning to wonder if she would at all (have had her for almost a year now!) Now she spends every night snuggled up in bed, yells at me if I'm not getting her food fast enough at meal times, and wanders around the house sometimes just meowing to hear herself talk. It's really nice and I wish she would have done this earlier because she really is an affectionate cat.

We'll see if she still feels happy and cuddly after her tooth extractions next week, oh boy oh boy.

She will probably be even friendlier, provided she gets some good post-extraction painkillers. I'm just assuming she's getting extractions due to feline oral reabsorption lesions and if that's the case, her teeth have probably been causing her pain. Once that's all gone and done with, everything will be even better.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
We brought home a 3-month old male cat (not yet neutered) from the shelter on Sunday and I'm very worried he's not peeing enough. I saw at least one pee clump in the litter box on Monday and Tuesday, but haven't seen any pee clumps since Tuesday morning (it's Wednesday evening as of writing this). He's pooping about once a day, and there was a decent amount of poop in his litter box this morning from last night. Maybe there were some small pee clumps mixed with the poop this morning and I just missed them?? He's still eating both wet and hard food and drinking water. As far as I know, he hasn't been peeing outside of his box at all.

I've been home for about 4 hours now, and he's been kind of lethargic as compared to yesterday. Yesterday he was very energetic and playful and explorey for most of the time I was home, but today he hasn't left my side and is mostly sleeping or lying down on my lap or next to me on the couch. Whenever I get up he just follows me, meowing, until I pick him up or go back to the couch so he can lie with me. His meowing has seemed a little bit more distressed the past hour or so, but maybe it's in my head or maybe he's just hungry?? He's still purring a lot when I pet him, and doesn't seem to react in any pain when I touch his abdomen or anything.

I know urinary blockage is a big deal; do I need to act quickly or am I being paranoid?

ETA: I just fed him dinner and he's much more energetic and playful like he was last night and his meows sounds normal again, so I think he was just hungry. So where's all the pee?

mancalamania fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 12, 2017

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If he's not peeing at all HE NEEDS A VET IMMEDIATELY. If he's dribbling a little then giving up due to pain, you probably dont need to go to a vet in the middle of the night, but still needs to be taken care of as soon as possible.

If he's completely blocked he's in serious danger and can die. VET.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

Synthbuttrange posted:

If he's not peeing at all HE NEEDS A VET IMMEDIATELY. If he's dribbling a little then giving up due to pain, you probably dont need to go to a vet in the middle of the night, but still needs to be taken care of as soon as possible.

If he's completely blocked he's in serious danger and can die. VET.

We just called the vet at the shelter he came from a few minutes before I saw this post and described everything we observed in detail and they said based on what we said we should monitor him carefully and if we can't find any pee by morning to go to the vet as soon as it opens tomorrow.

EDIT: Crisis averted. He peed a bunch literally as I was dialing the phone of a second vet to see if I could bring him in right now. If the choice was peeing or vet, he'd choose peeing any day of the week.

mancalamania fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 12, 2017

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Neat! Was he distressed at all after, meowing or licking his regions?

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Aw man I remember when my dumb baby took like, 18 hours to pee once in first week with us.

Unless it happens again or he seems distressed in the litter box it's probably just new kitten idiocy, my cat is still alive and terrible.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

True, cat idiocy can never be ruled out

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

Synthbuttrange posted:

Neat! Was he distressed at all after, meowing or licking his regions?

No distress or anything unusual afterwards, thankfully. He immediately went back to his usual alternating cycle of playing and sleeping on surfaces he can't really fit on. I think the most likely scenario is there was a pee clump mixed in with the poop I scooped out this morning and/or last night and I just didn't notice it. I'll keep my eyes on the prize from now on (the prize is his excrement).

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Cheap Mexican Labor since the late 80's
Sorry for another lovely question.

Trimming a cats claws. My dude is going to stay an indoor only cat, and he loves to scratch his post or his cardboard thing. He was a stray for 4-6 years prior to this, but for the most part he's pretty awesome.

But I can't touch his paws without him freaking out. He's also really weird about his back... in fact, I can really only scratch his head.

Anyway, is trimming required? I can't seem to find good information on this, just a lot of secondhand stuff. Some places say it's cruel, others say you absolutely need to do it, and some say only if they are indoor exclusive or if they don't scratch on posts...

At the very least, I'm going to pay attention to his claws and see if any of them start to get too big or if he starts to get caught on things...

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I trim my cats claws so that they dont hurt me or each other when playing, and from poking holes in my furniture. Trimming claws is fine, DECLAWING is cruel, maybe people are getting those mixed up? Anyway, there's nothing to do but persist at it and your cat will eventually give up (in months)

americong
May 29, 2013

I trim because I don't want them ripping me, each other, or the apartment up more than necessary.

They don't really like it, but they don't exactly get a vote, and they get over it in minutes.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

nimby posted:

We started to disassemble furniture for our impending move, so our Cleo has lost a few of her favorite napping spots. Half the time the poor thing has a look of "WTF is going on?" Hope she forgets these last days here when she's got a much bigger house to play in.

Cool

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Also another question, this time about cat piss. One of our new kittens was very prone to going outside the litterbox for quite a while and we finally got that sorted (thankfully just before Christmas as the room she picked for her potty place was the room we always put the tree in) and now that the tree has come down and the air has definitely cleared I can still smell cat piss in there, which makes me worry she will start up again. I think the reason why she stopped was because I put a box of Christmas ornaments over the vent when I discovered she had been pissing down the vent. I had cleaned that out as best I could but upon removal of the box there is still cat piss smell wafting up from there. Recarpeting is something I understand doing, but how the hell do you re-vent? Is that even a thing? How do you get cat piss smell out of a floor vent? ...Is there someone I can call?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It appears to be a common enough problem that googling urine air vent has a bajillion hits ranging from DIY to calling in professional cleaners.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Cheap Mexican Labor since the late 80's
I guess it's time to start working on getting this guy used to me touching his paws... Attempt #1 ended in a big scratch, but I knew what I was signing up for.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Synthbuttrange posted:

It appears to be a common enough problem that googling urine air vent has a bajillion hits ranging from DIY to calling in professional cleaners.

Well, thank you for tell me the correct words to google in an unsarcastic manner. :)

Any ideas on my other post?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Jumping back to read... hm. Probably she feels safest in that one room. Are you in one position more than another when you're in that one room? i.e. a cat might find a standing/walking person more threatening than someone sitting down or in bed.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

OniKun posted:

I guess it's time to start working on getting this guy used to me touching his paws... Attempt #1 ended in a big scratch, but I knew what I was signing up for.

Maybe bribe train him to let you handle his paws using treats?

My cats are reasonably patient about stuff like that, but I pay them afterwards anyway

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Synthbuttrange posted:

Jumping back to read... hm. Probably she feels safest in that one room. Are you in one position more than another when you're in that one room? i.e. a cat might find a standing/walking person more threatening than someone sitting down or in bed.

Yes, I'm almost exclusively sitting or laying down when she comes up to me. Like right now I'm on my bed and she's curled up next to me.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Well there you go, she probably finds you a bit tall and scary for now. Try slowing down and going lower if you're approaching? It'll take time too for her to get used to tall things being around.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

It's been six months, though, you'd think she'd be used to me coming up to her by now. No matter how low and slow I go (and I mean literally slithering on the ground) she refuses to be touched outside of my room. It's possible she's just Being A Cat (TM) since, as I said, she was previously feral. She and her sister have come a remarkably long way regardless from spending their first three months with no human interaction in a tiny cage.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

The Lobster posted:

It's been six months, though, you'd think she'd be used to me coming up to her by now. No matter how low and slow I go (and I mean literally slithering on the ground) she refuses to be touched outside of my room. It's possible she's just Being A Cat (TM) since, as I said, she was previously feral. She and her sister have come a remarkably long way regardless from spending their first three months with no human interaction in a tiny cage.

It took six months before one of my cats would let me touch her at all, some cats are just skittish. My other cat is generally much braver but she spent about two or three months convinced the ceiling fan was going to eat her. Just keep being patient and she'll probably come around eventually.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Any recommendations for a hand held vaccuum for cat litter? Baldur likes to kick it all over the place because it sounds funny.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

m.hache posted:

Any recommendations for a hand held vaccuum for cat litter? Baldur likes to kick it all over the place because it sounds funny.

I have one of these. It is great. Got them for the rest of my family for christmas gifts and still get comments about them once in a while. No battery memory and lasts quite a long time.

Edit: link might be useful https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER-CHV1410L-Cordless-Lithium/dp/B006LXOJC0

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Boogalo posted:

I have one of these. It is great. Got them for the rest of my family for christmas gifts and still get comments about them once in a while. No battery memory and lasts quite a long time.

Edit: link might be useful https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER-CHV1410L-Cordless-Lithium/dp/B006LXOJC0

Awesome.

I was scoping that one out already. Picking it up.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Princess is settling in nicely. Todd hisses and growls whenever he sees her, but she's quickly learning he's all bark and no bite. We have these wooden over-the-door cat silhouette things in the living room over the front window and she always looks at them like they're real cats.

She's still waking us up for love, more so my wife than me. She slept under the bed last night, but as soon as my wife woke up this morning, Princess leapt up and started nuzzling and petting her :kimchi:

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
What's the thread consensus on Feliway?

We are going on vacation for 2 weeks and our cats will stay at home. A friend and my sister will be on daily feeding/poop/cuddles duty, but we are still worried our absence might stress them out. Especially as cat#1 is extremely attached to me.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

the panacea posted:

What's the thread consensus on Feliway?

We are going on vacation for 2 weeks and our cats will stay at home. A friend and my sister will be on daily feeding/poop/cuddles duty, but we are still worried our absence might stress them out. Especially as cat#1 is extremely attached to me.

I know with my dog I just wore a shirt all day, worked out in it and left it with her. She carried it around for 10 days until it stopped smelling like me, then she started playing with it.

That seemed to help. Could potentially be different with a Cat but it's a thought.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

The Lobster posted:

This is something I saw on My Cat From Hell so take it with a grain of salt (though that program is usually decent) but your cat may not really consider other rooms in your home to be her territory if she's acting very skittish in them. Is she hugging the walls and staying small in those rooms, or is it just YOU triggering the fear response?

Regardless, if you can get her to "hunt" some toys in there she'll start seeing the place as hers and might become more confident, same with treats or other food.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
Latte's been tearing apart the carpet at the doors and I'm very sad about this. I'm not sure what to do. I've got a scratcher right next to it, and that's shown signs of getting scratched. I'm ordering more sticky paws rolls, but they don't seem to be doing a great job of training her since I've already gone through a whole roll trying to train her.

I need to figure out how to repair the carpet too. :(

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Have you tried scent sprays? Cats don't particularly like citrus, try give the area a spray.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
About a week ago we discovered our cat had pooped in her cat bed. (She tends to prefer lying on our furniture, so the bed is not one of her most favorite spots, but she does lay in it sporadically.). It was a normal poop, no pee. We've had her for over a year and while she's had one or two minor incidents with dingleberries , this was the first time she's ever dropped a full turd outside her box. My daughter said she was near the cat box that afternoon and the cat was coming over but then left, maybe because there was too much activity. So, we thought it might have been a one-off and we'd monitor things.

Until today everything was fine-- daily pees and poops, all in the box. But this morning we woke up to a fairly large cat turd on the carpet, about halfway between her usual living room lounging spots and her litter box (and not near the spot of the previous poop). Again it looked like a normal turd. She's still only peeing in the litter box, thankfully, and at normal intervals. She's eating normally and I don't think we've made any changes to anything in the past few weeks that would mess with her.

Ideas? Is a vet visit likely to be helpful?

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

While we're on the subject of cat scat...

Gypsy is a bad pooper. Most of the time, she'll poop in the box, but she never covers it. She'll scratch the wall, the box liner, the floor, anything except the drat gravel. Eventually wifey or I will go in and cover it, sometimes even Harley will go in after her to do the deed.

Occasionally, but like at least a couple times a month, she'll poop at the front door. It's always overnight, and I'm pretty sure she does it as a passive-agressive move to try to get the humans to stay home and pet her instead of going to work.

I don't think there's anything wrong with my cat. I think she's just retarded.

e: and oh god, the dingleberries...!

americong
May 29, 2013

CloFan posted:

While we're on the subject of cat scat...

Gypsy is a bad pooper. Most of the time, she'll poop in the box, but she never covers it. She'll scratch the wall, the box liner, the floor, anything except the drat gravel. Eventually wifey or I will go in and cover it, sometimes even Harley will go in after her to do the deed.

Occasionally, but like at least a couple times a month, she'll poop at the front door. It's always overnight, and I'm pretty sure she does it as a passive-agressive move to try to get the humans to stay home and pet her instead of going to work.

I don't think there's anything wrong with my cat. I think she's just retarded.

e: and oh god, the dingleberries...!

I've got the first issue with one of mine.

The fat stupid gently caress will go take a hellacious dump then just walk away. His buddy cat will go into the litter room and cover it up for him.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
The poop-covering instinct in cats is very weird. It's like they feel compelled to make the motion but don't actually give a gently caress whether or not it's working.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk4deqzxJdk

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Organza Quiz posted:

It took six months before one of my cats would let me touch her at all, some cats are just skittish. My other cat is generally much braver but she spent about two or three months convinced the ceiling fan was going to eat her. Just keep being patient and she'll probably come around eventually.

mistaya posted:

This is something I saw on My Cat From Hell so take it with a grain of salt (though that program is usually decent) but your cat may not really consider other rooms in your home to be her territory if she's acting very skittish in them. Is she hugging the walls and staying small in those rooms, or is it just YOU triggering the fear response?

Regardless, if you can get her to "hunt" some toys in there she'll start seeing the place as hers and might become more confident, same with treats or other food.

Thanks for the insight! She does shrink back and hug the walls everywhere else so the territory idea might be the correct one. Our house is pretty big and she is not. We got her (and her sister) right after the death of one cat we'd had for 14 years and I'm sure his scent was still all over, and we still have an almost 16 year old cat, who obviously feels she has precedence, and the kittens are letting her enforce it (even though she's so creaky she really shouldn't be able to). Interestingly, one place I know the 15yo has her territory for sure is my bedroom, as she has always stayed in there from the day we got her. But a few nights after we got the kittens, she stopped sleeping in the bed with me ( :( ) and sleeping on the computer chair instead, and the skittish kitty in question now sleeps in my bed at night.

How do I get her to hunt, etc.? We have a bimonthly subscription to Kitnip Box and they love the toys and treats therein so we have a pretty good selection of different toys to try.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
My mini horse Tiberius is like that, he scratches everything but the drat litter and lets the poop sit there, then Luna comes along and buries for him then kicks the crap out of him a few minutes later, its hilarious to watch.

I just assume she's telling him "BURY YOUR OWN drat poo poo"

Its funny watching them fight cause Tibi is much larger and stronger but Luna is a fatty, Luna uses her entire body weight to bowl him over then she keeps him off balance while she smacks him around, its funny that my cat is a better fighter than I am. :newlol:

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

About a week ago we discovered our cat had pooped in her cat bed. (She tends to prefer lying on our furniture, so the bed is not one of her most favorite spots, but she does lay in it sporadically.). It was a normal poop, no pee. We've had her for over a year and while she's had one or two minor incidents with dingleberries , this was the first time she's ever dropped a full turd outside her box. My daughter said she was near the cat box that afternoon and the cat was coming over but then left, maybe because there was too much activity. So, we thought it might have been a one-off and we'd monitor things.

Until today everything was fine-- daily pees and poops, all in the box. But this morning we woke up to a fairly large cat turd on the carpet, about halfway between her usual living room lounging spots and her litter box (and not near the spot of the previous poop). Again it looked like a normal turd. She's still only peeing in the litter box, thankfully, and at normal intervals. She's eating normally and I don't think we've made any changes to anything in the past few weeks that would mess with her.

Ideas? Is a vet visit likely to be helpful?

My cat will do this when she considers her litterbox to be insufficiently clean.

I solved this problem by adding a second litterbox right next to the first one..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Khizan posted:

My cat will do this when she considers her litterbox to be insufficiently clean.

I solved this problem by adding a second litterbox right next to the first one..

I should have mentioned, her box is cleaned every night. It was pristine when we went to bed last night before she shat on the carpet..