Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

marshmallow creep posted:

Is your username from the alternate universe where ME3 was a stoner comedy?

nah i got it in a gbs post here to change your name thread, but a weed induced ME3 would make it make more sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Section Z posted:

I would forgive the Kai Leng stuff if you always had an interrupt option to make Shepard act like he has no idea who the gently caress Kai Leng is.

:ninja:"Looks like you lose again thanks to cutscene magic, shepard! The Prothean whatsit of Thessia is mine!"
:shepface: "Who are you! Who do you work for!"
:ninja: "What? It's me, Kai Leng. Coolest cyborg ninja of Cerberus-"
:shepface: "If the Illusive man had a pet ninja, I'm preeeety sure I'd remember."

:ninja:"Look, I'm the guy always pissing in people's cereal, do you remember me now?"

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Waltzing Along posted:

If you were to take all three games and judge them independently of each other, ME1 is the best, ME2 is #2 and ME3 is a pile of poo poo that makes no sense.
If you take them as parts of a series, ME1 is far better than the others, ME2 makes no sense at all and ME3 is a pile of poo poo that still makes no sense.
In other words, the only good game of the three is ME1, in spite of its flaws.

ME1 really hasn't aged very well though. Trying to get younger people to play it is a struggle. Even I balked at the thought of doing all the planet exploring and that 2-3 hour citadel segment after Eden prime. It has really fantastic moments. I remember playing the original with my best friend watching on the couch and we both lost our poo poo on Virmire when you talk to Sovereign and he starts dropping some mad truth bombs on you. The big problem is that for every great moment like that there is a load more filler.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Bud K ninja sword posted:

nah i got it in a gbs post here to change your name thread, but a weed induced ME3 would make it make more sense

You know Mordin or Jack would hook you up.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Lobok posted:

You know Mordin or Jack would hook you up.

id take that mordin poo poo anyday. I am natch the very model of a scientist salarian.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I always thought the reapers reason for taking a long time getting here was it just takes a drat long time to get from Dark Space.

Like the usual plan is: 1) Finish the current reaping. 2) Reset the Citadel again for ease of use. 3) Leave one of us behind to get ready for next reaping. 4) Go wait in dark space for a brief amount of time. 5) Commence reaping

When it goes to pot after Mass Effect I assumed it went 3) If we have recieved no signal from inside the Milky way send an additional scouter to check, make sure things need resetting. Then if 2 is unavailable try building components and we'll be along in the next 20 or so years to check up and begin reaping.

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

Skippy McPants posted:

It would have been a better idea in that it actually tied into the themes and setup of the earlier games.

....such as?

Like no seriously, the closest thing that comes to supporting it that I remember was that missable dialogue about a star mysteriously dying earlier than it should have and I don't quite remember any themes that actually deal with it, meanwhile ME1 has a plot critical conversation that creates an huge issue with it:

Sovereign posted:

Your civilization is based on the technology of the mass relays. Our technology. By using it, your civilization develops along the paths we desire. We impose order on the chaos of organic life. You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

With as many jokes as there are about killing the organics to save the organics, there would've been a ton more about killing the organics to stop them from ending the galaxy via using the technology we keep giving them without even including a warning sign on them.

SaltPig
Jun 21, 2004

I wish bioware would just hire a serious sci-fi author to draw an outline for a story arc and let them fill in the rest.

The Alistair Reynolds' Inhibitors are basically a better and more well thought-out version of the collectors.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SaltPig posted:

I wish bioware would just hire a serious sci-fi author to draw an outline for a story arc and let them fill in the rest.

The Alistair Reynolds' Inhibitors are basically a better and more well thought-out version of the collectors.

And Fred Saberhagen's Berserkers are better Reapers.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

SaltPig posted:

Alistair Reynolds also had a hard science Ph.d and put long term effort and planning into his Revelation Space universe and knew 100% at the start of the series what the end game for the Inhibitors was, i.e You can't loving win and you'll probably just make something worse to fight them

tayvaan
Oct 22, 2010
I feel like any great author writing a mass effect game would just end up feeling hamstrung by having to write a power fantasy that constantly justifies the protagonist standing victorious on top of a mountain of bodies.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

tayvaan posted:

I feel like any great author writing a mass effect game would just end up feeling hamstrung by having to write a power fantasy that constantly justifies the protagonist standing victorious on top of a mountain of bodies.

It would be decently possible with Berserkers. Standard human tactics are to breach a Berserker's hull and board them, then destroy them from within - Berserkers are all but unstoppable in space, but their internal defenses weren't considered a priority by their original builders and are no match for human marines.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Story wise I honestly think mass effect is amazing in a way. Like it's writing in a set of genres that has become almost forbidden in the modern age.

Like star trek locked up the concept of writing about federations of alien species and the 80s, 90s and 2000s ruined the idea of writing about futures that are ever anything but bleak nonstop.

In the modern era yeah, there are some writers writing anything you can think of, but the landscape is really barren. If you go back to 1960s sci-fi you can find a ton of stories about humans in the council of planets with the aliens in a future where history turned out pretty okay. If you look back at 1950s short story magazines you can find a million things that do the idea better. But in modern film and games and whatever that whole thing is rare enough that mass effect kinda is one of the best. There is handfuls of authors and books that do this stuff now, but honestly pretty drat rare. It's hard to name a movie that does this anymore. Not even star trek is about that stuff anymore 90% of the time.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Exposure posted:

....such as?

Like no seriously, the closest thing that comes to supporting it that I remember was that missable dialogue about a star mysteriously dying earlier than it should have and I don't quite remember any themes that actually deal with it, meanwhile ME1 has a plot critical conversation that creates an huge issue with it:

With as many jokes as there are about killing the organics to save the organics, there would've been a ton more about killing the organics to stop them from ending the galaxy via using the technology we keep giving them without even including a warning sign on them.

I think the idea was that the galaxy is huge, using the Mass Effect is what kills stars, and if left to their own devices any civilization will start exploiting it once they discover eezo. Rather than try to monitor and comb the enormous galaxy constantly, the Reapers just seeded it with the relay network and designed it so it funneled the civs to the Citadel.

Show up every 50,000 years, crop the weeds that sprung up and helpfully gathered themselves in your trap, cull the galaxy of the threat of anyone using the Mass Effect before they did too much damage. Civs that don't discover Element Zero and the Mass Effect won't discover FTL travel and won't find relays, so they aren't culled but they're also not a threat.

Yeah it's dumb they didn't put up signs that say "hey we know this is super useful but it kills the universe, don't do it" but you know civs would just say "nah" anyway. Also, video games.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

DarkHorse posted:

Yeah it's dumb they didn't put up signs that say "hey we know this is super useful but it kills the universe, don't do it" but you know civs would just say "nah" anyway. Also, video games.

"The Element Zero signs are a lie created by the Batarians to make human fleets noncompetitive."

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Chexoid posted:

"The Element Zero signs are a lie created by the Batarians to make human fleets noncompetitive."

WE CANNOT ALLOW AN EEZO "GAP" :turianass:

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
I wanna replay ME2 again to replay ME3 again because I never finished it. Do I actually need to import saves or am I remembering correctly that there were some questions asked in the beginning of the games to set things to what you 'wanted?' I deleted both of those a long time ago, so yeah.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

So this... is the power... of Bioware....... Wow..........

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I wanna replay ME2 again to replay ME3 again because I never finished it. Do I actually need to import saves or am I remembering correctly that there were some questions asked in the beginning of the games to set things to what you 'wanted?' I deleted both of those a long time ago, so yeah.

if you're playing on PC there are saves available (on me2 saves I think) for me1 import characters

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

There is a DLC interactive comic for both games that lets you answer questions to set everything up. I think in ME2 if you don't have the DLC there are some questions you can answer when Miranda and Jacob are sanity checking Shep on the way to meet the Illusive Man for the first time that can change a few small things.

You can also download crafted save files, either from people who beat the first game, or ones created using Gibbed's save editor that set things up.

Using the ME2 comic DLC doesn't provide a 100% experience, it skips little things like Conrad Verner and focuses more on things like is Wrex alive and what did you do with the Rachni Queen.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Phrosphor posted:

There is a DLC interactive comic for both games that lets you answer questions to set everything up. I think in ME2 if you don't have the DLC there are some questions you can answer when Miranda and Jacob are sanity checking Shep on the way to meet the Illusive Man for the first time that can change a few small things.

You can also download crafted save files, either from people who beat the first game, or ones created using Gibbed's save editor that set things up.

Using the ME2 comic DLC doesn't provide a 100% experience, it skips little things like Conrad Verner and focuses more on things like is Wrex alive and what did you do with the Rachni Queen.

Did you just call Conrad Verner a little thing?

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Gamers: Make a decent game for once!
Bioware: You first.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Phrosphor posted:

Isn't that conversation in ME2 really only for the question of who became counsellor because the save ME1 creates to import into ME2 happens before that dialogue.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

TastyLemonDrops posted:

To be fair, being able to encounter him all the way through to ME3 was riddled with bugs so its unlikely more then a fraction of 1% of people enjoyed his antics for more then ME1.

I remember reading in Penny Arcade that their review copy of ME2 had a feature that allowed them to set all the major/minor decisions that carried over into the game and it sounded loving amazing but then they updated the review that said feature was not available for the commercial release.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I have never encountered him past ME1 so to me yes he is.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
My avatar is very disappointed, as you can see. Looks like I can just use a save editor though. Thanks for the info.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
After spending a few months ignoring everything to do with Andromeda, I finally decided to watch some of the reveal trailers and gameplay videos, mainly because there's already a release date. The combat looks as exciting as ever, and considering I spent some 350 hours on ME3MP, I am certain I'll spend even more on ME:A's MP. Like, gently caress the SP, its probably gonna suck, but I'll finally be able to scratch that co-op sci-fi shooter itch Warframe wasn't quite able to satisfy.

Also, I did not miss how the Salarian pilot paused meaningfully before saying 'invited' in that latest Tempest/Nomad trailer.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Section Z posted:

I would forgive the Kai Leng stuff if you always had an interrupt option to make Shepard act like he has no idea who the gently caress Kai Leng is.

:ninja:"Looks like you lose again thanks to cutscene magic, shepard! The Prothean whatsit of Thessia is mine!"
:shepface: "Who are you! Who do you work for!"
:ninja: "What? It's me, Kai Leng. Coolest cyborg ninja of Cerberus-"
:shepface: "If the Illusive man had a pet ninja, I'm preeeety sure I'd remember."

That's the funny thing about Kai Leng.

There's a bunch of that in the game already.

Thane talks about how lovely he is to lose to a dying drell. Bailey stops him by hacking the elevator. And Shepard spends the whole last encounter talking about how he's a whiny little loser.

I think a decent chunk of the writing team thought of him the same way the played does. It's just that it wasn't unanimous.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I didn't care about the voice acting with that salarian ship tour video, but goddamn they sure made a boring video.

Also, I'd have forgiven Kai Leng if Bioware had put some flags such that if you beat him in battle and took a minimal amount of damage the dialog would show him becoming more and more scared of you or something and he became more and more unwilling to actually get int ocombat with you - eventually just giving up or showing up and then running away before being killed for being a pussy by TIM.

That would have been okay, sorta. I mean, Kai Leng still was still a Gary Stu piece of poo poo and was terribly written/incorporated into the game.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jan 13, 2017

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Kibayasu posted:

Isn't that conversation in ME2 really only for the question of who became counsellor because the save ME1 creates to import into ME2 happens before that dialogue.
That's correct. The other questions are just flavor, as it will recognize correctly who died on Virmire, your origin, etc if you imported.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Drifter posted:

I didn't care about the voice acting with that salarian ship tour video, but goddamn they sure made a boring video.

Also, I'd have forgiven Kai Leng if Bioware had put some flags such that if you beat him in battle and took a minimal amount of damage the dialog would show him becoming more and more scared of you or something and he became more and more unwilling to actually get int ocombat with you - eventually just giving up or showing up and then running away before being killed for being a pussy by TIM.

That would have been okay, sorta. I mean, Kai Leng still was still a Gary Stu piece of poo poo and was terribly written/incorporated into the game.

Pet peeve: Mary Sue is gender neutral. It refers to overly perfect author self-inserts of all genders!

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

SaltPig posted:

Yeah, like the worst written big franchise games did.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

THAT is never a guarantee. Bioware seems married to the idea of CC lighting being completely distinct from the rest of the game.

So is Bethesda for that matter. If you want to change your appearance in Fallout 4 you have to go into a dingy poorly lit basement.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I think the reason I liked ME1 so much is if you go back to the beginning it probably is the best Star Trek game ever made, sure it has dark moments just like the show however overall the Mass Effect Universe as first introduced was still optimistic and a little idealistic in tone. You're exploring the frontier of galactic civilization as part of the Federation attempting to stop the Borg from bringing down civilization. The entire final battle/scene is essentially an interpretation of the episode Best of Both Worlds, with how powerful Sovereign + Geth are compared to the Citadel Races, and how the main crew bring him down by infiltrating?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Jack2142 posted:

I think the reason I liked ME1 so much is if you go back to the beginning it probably is the best Star Trek game ever made, sure it has dark moments just like the show however overall the Mass Effect Universe as first introduced was still optimistic and a little idealistic in tone. You're exploring the frontier of galactic civilization as part of the Federation attempting to stop the Borg from bringing down civilization. The entire final battle/scene is essentially an interpretation of the episode Best of Both Worlds, with how powerful Sovereign + Geth are compared to the Citadel Races, and how the main crew bring him down by infiltrating?

This is true, I still like ME2, but it would be nice to have a bit of hope.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Mass Effect 2 shifted its inspiration from Star Trek to Firefly.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Last night I preordered this game.

If my 360 was still alive I'd probably play through the previous games in preparation but I guess I will settle for watching some YouTubes. Any recommendations? Preferably something that just has the important story elements and without nasal nerd commentary.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

marktheando posted:

Last night I preordered this game.

If my 360 was still alive I'd probably play through the previous games in preparation but I guess I will settle for watching some YouTubes. Any recommendations? Preferably something that just has the important story elements and without nasal nerd commentary.

The games are backwards compatible on the Xbox One, so if you still have the games, you can load them on that.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The games are backwards compatible on the Xbox One, so if you still have the games, you can load them on that.

I got a PS4. It's very rare that I'm jealous of xbone owners, but this is one of those times. The other time was the whole Bethesda console modding fiasco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

In that case, cheaper to get them on pc. Or watch an lp like you proposed, but I don't know of any that are any good.