Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Oxxidation posted:

Nintendo's build quality is the one thing they haven't compromised on yet so let's see.

That's basically all you're paying 300 for, considering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

lol if you dont think itll be 100% p2p matchmaking

Yea this is literally Nintendo following the market, albeit on a lovely thing and not a good thing.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Shneak posted:

Why are all the humans in Mario Odyssey wearing the same grey suits and haircut like it's North Korea.

that's how japan views america since 1867

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Kurtofan posted:

i really want to know if there's going to be achievements nintentod

Didn't they previously speak out against achievements?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Celery Jello posted:

You sound mad about paying for services that are expensive to maintain

Yeah online services are really really expensive to keep going

I'm bummed about having to pay for it but I at least ~get it~

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Oxxidation posted:

Nintendo's build quality is the one thing they haven't compromised on yet so let's see.

I dunno, they had some defective WiiU tablets (I ended up with one, sadly!)

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Craptacular! posted:

This is your reminder that the Super Nintendo had about three games at launch. It's just that one of them was Mario so you didn't care.

It had 5, including Mario and F Zero. A week later 5 more games were released. Then 4 more before the first month was over. And a total of 31 before the year was over.

It released on 8/23.

What was your point?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Brother Entropy posted:

idk man i'm pretty happy about 3 cool nintendo sequels this year

Good! because that's what you're getting

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'm referring to big "epic" JRPGs.

Trails in the Sky would qualify but it is from 2004. Haven't played Steel too much but it was a bit disappointing from what I've played. Tales games basically never make that cut since they focus on quantity over quality. Digimon lol. Atelier. lol.

Atelier has better combat and music than xenoblade

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Wait, the online will be free until the Fall then you gotta pay for it? Or did I mishear something.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

s.i.r.e. posted:

No, you get one for a month, as in after the month, pay up.

[citation needed]

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I'll believe that when I see it. I'm more inclined to assume Nintendo will helplessly gently caress it up than give them the benefit of the doubt.

They literally had people playing it for like 6 unedited hours at E3 and dozens of other times since, it doesn't have waggle lol

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

Internal memory is just 32 gigs, with some used by the systems OS, so barely a game?

You can add memory cards to expand it but still, that's tiny.

This actually worked out just fine for the Wii U, buy a proper external drive for WAY cheaper than they'd charge for anything and boom download everything.

That said it's kinda moot here cause we're back on tiny rear end carts instead of having a bunch of big dumb disks to deal with. I don't see me getting external memory unless the eshop downloads somehow fill up the thing

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Jimmy Hats posted:

the 3ds is gonna be fine for at least a few more years you mooks, it has so many goddamn units sold and churns out anime garbage weekly for you to buy
yeah no one's arguing that, it has like a year of active development left.. before everyone Switches over

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

DC Murderverse posted:

also there is a special edition and a "master edition" of Zelda but due to aforementioned website shittery I can't loving figure out what is in it.

It's a collectors edition with a bunch of poo poo you'll look at once and never again, just like every other collectors edition.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

These are the cases!

They are...

...are...

incredible!

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

twistedmentat posted:

Wait, the online will be free until the Fall then you gotta pay for it? Or did I mishear something.

essentially yes. but it's not console based, it's smart-device based

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

dont be mean to me posted:

[citation needed]
Yeah all that one picture said was you get 1 download title a month. It didn't even say virtual console title. People just goin nuts right now

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Shneak posted:

Why are all the humans in Mario Odyssey wearing the same grey suits and haircut like it's North Korea.

Probably because it's not a full scale open world city, but a small level:

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

I mean this is basically out for every electronic device in existence including most kitchen appliances so who cares

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

LethalGeek posted:

This actually worked out just fine for the Wii U, buy a proper external drive for WAY cheaper than they'd charge for anything and boom download everything.

That said it's kinda moot here cause we're back on tiny rear end carts instead of having a bunch of big dumb disks to deal with. I don't see me getting external memory unless the eshop downloads somehow fill up the thing
It has expandable cart memory so you can just get a really cheap 64 gb sd card

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Augus posted:

They literally had people playing it for like 6 unedited hours at E3 and dozens of other times since, it doesn't have waggle lol

They were playing a beta. The game is going to be 100% waggle. Gotta waggle to get in the inventory. Waggle to move. Waggle waggle waggle.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Hey I guess someone's gotta prop up the SD card market since now they're pretty rare to find in phones.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Endorph posted:

cold steel isn't as painfully slow as sky, and tales of berseria and tales of graces f are fully featured, big rpgs that take 60-80 hours to beat so iunno why they wouldn't count.

because they aren't as good as Xenoblade Chronicles. Sure they may be similar in scope, but not quality. Xenoblade Chronicles is up there with some of the creme de la crop JRPGs (IMO).

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

[citation needed]

Quest For Glory II posted:

Yeah all that one picture said was you get 1 download title a month. It didn't even say virtual console title. People just goin nuts right now

http://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/

quote:

Monthly game download

Subscribers will get to download and play a Nintendo Entertainment System™ (NES) or Super Nintendo Entertainment System™ (Super NES) game (with newly-added online play) for free for a month.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Waltzing Along posted:

They were playing a beta. The game is going to be 100% waggle. Gotta waggle to get in the inventory. Waggle to move. Waggle waggle waggle.

Reggie breaks into your home and violently shakes you if you're not waggling enough.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
What is it with goons and waggle. Do you guys just hate moving your arms or what?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

ymgve posted:

aliasing looking good

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

also if that's actual Switch box art, then Switch Boxes Look Cool

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ymgve posted:

i'm glad for that because nintendo's strength is their incredible linear level design and they need to stick to that.

i want to see more of that low-polygon indie game world mario goes to. that's what i'm calling it anyway. the low-polygon indie game world

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

ymgve posted:

wonder what's the commute like in between floating platforms

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

homeless snail posted:

yeah no one's arguing that, it has like a year of active development left.. before everyone Switches over

With 58 million sold as of a full year ago, it's got years left on it, even with competition from the switch. Most of the companies already have the software and training to make good use of it, and the dual screens is a useful feature.

If anything I can see the 3ds hurting the switch and not the other way around.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Dr Cheeto posted:

What is it with goons and waggle. Do you guys just hate moving your arms or what?

A superior option that functions correctly 100% of the time exists?

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

ethanol posted:

that's how japan views america since 1867

vintage anime sideburns

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I don't really see why people are pissed about paying for online service, you've been doing it for years now. It doesn't bother me much, I'm perfectly happy to go without, and I don't think I'll be using the Switch for its incredible online services anyway.

I mean, if it runs well, sure, but the thing is gonna be portable and wi-fi so I mean, you're not running Overwatch on that.

Nintendo's consoles usually don't have that big of a user base as it is. It also will have less games than the PS4 and XBO. So why pay for a subscription service for a game when all your friends are playing it on PS4 with PSN? It will just make their online usebase even smaller as it is.

Also, I assume some people actively pay for Live and PS+, and it will be a third subscription.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Dr Cheeto posted:

waggle personally killed my friend samus aran

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

[citation needed]

Beaten, but yeah, Nintendo is still terrible at online.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I think I'm going to buy a switch at some point.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

btw you shouldn't buy this at launch just like you shouldn't buy any other console at launch, good console launches haven't been a thing since forever

unless you don't have a Wii U in which case GOTTA GET THAT ZELDA

Dr Cheeto posted:

it's not very responsive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Celery Jello posted:

You sound mad about paying for services that are expensive to maintain

They don't require for players to actually pay for the service. Hence PC gaming and Steam, GOG Galaxy, etc. etc.

Congratulations on being hook, lined, and sinkered.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

lol if you dont think itll be 100% p2p matchmaking

lol

• Locked thread