Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sperghetti
Apr 21, 2010

boner confessor posted:

liking all the people who are too scared to post in d&d using this thread as a sounding board to air their grievances about d&d, the forum they dont like and dont post in, but read apparently?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmMUznSig3I

D&D tends to leak out into the funny sub-forums; by effecting change at the source of the virulence, the corruption in the good forums may be stymied, hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Fat Shat Sings posted:

This isn't a discussion about race you should probably read this thread or at least the OP, I'll give you some time to do that

also your

is not a catch all when taken in context of this threads existence and the OP i quoted you. Moderators do not get free reign which is the entire point of this thread and the discussion in it and you can not quote tangentially related years old semantics somehow blowing everyone else out of the water and declaring mods are above reproach.

Seriously try reading this thread.
OK fair enough, I have not read this entire thread, I just was responding to your assertion that mods can't act a certain way because it's not in the rules. But honestly I think trying to rules-lawyer what the mods can and cannot do is pretty pointless anyway, because in practice it basically comes down to "mods can do whatever the gently caress they want until an admin says otherwise."

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
the first step to posting on line is accepting that all of your opinions are trash.

that way you'll be less likely to wish death on people in an internet conversation, get hung up on conversations that happened 5 months ago, etc

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

boner confessor posted:

yeah that didnt stop you when you wanted to post a billion times about zoe quinn, in d&d. lovin the cat piss then pal

That thread was moved there precisely because the admins knew what D&D mods and posters would do to it, and they did. All that means is that the admins know your house smells like piss too and they punish people they don't like by forcing them to go there.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Fat Shat Sings posted:

this is a pretty lovely semantics argument.

Yes moderators do literally dictate what you post under threat of punishment.

what you post not the literal words you post

there is no requirement to respond to that, and punishing people for doing such

Which elaborately proven to not be in the rules

is out of line.

Sorry, it doesn't matter how little of a deal you perceive it to be. Wrong is wrong.

Which nobody did and would prove nothing because it would have nothing to do with what we are talking about. I guess creating this hypothetical makes you look more right though so it served it's purpose.

excellent rebuttal goon sire

Rodatose posted:

okay, using the universal language of video games, imagine this: a mod asks someone who comes into the x box thread if they are going to troll about the x box. the person says "i'm going to troll about the x box." then they are probated, because the type of ram the x box one has is perfectly acceptable for its needs and these are the nimber one troll free forums on the web

Except you'd still be angry because "there's no rule that says mods can make you answer questions!!!!!"

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

new phone who dis posted:

That thread mas moved there precisely because the admins knew what D&D mods and posters would do to it, and they did. All that means is that the admins know your house smells like piss too and they punish people they don't like by forcing them to go there.

maybe the house smells like piss because you're inside it???

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

That thread mas moved there precisely because the admins knew what D&D mods and posters would do to it, and they did. All that means is that the admins know your house smells like piss too and they punish people they don't like by forcing them to go there.

i'm sorry that you were cruelly forced, against your will, to whine about zoe quinn in a forum that you hate. it must have been extremely difficult on your mental fortitude to be subjected to such trials and obstacles

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Raskolnikov38 posted:

maybe the house smells like piss because you're inside it???

My piss smell is different than this piss smell. Nobody complains about their own piss smell. Jeez, don't you know anything about piss?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

That thread was moved there precisely because the admins knew what D&D mods and posters would do to it, and they did. All that means is that the admins know your house smells like piss too and they punish people they don't like by forcing them to go there.

But they put this thread in D&D....

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
"ugh, the gamergate thread has been moved to d&d *retch* of all places. welp, here we go, time to put on my nylon bodysock and grab the alcohol-based germ repellant. i have no choice"

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

My piss smell is different than this piss smell. Nobody complains about their own piss smell. Jeez, don't you know anything about piss?

not really but I have a feeling the next four to eight years will change my amount of piss knowledge

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

boner confessor posted:

i'm sorry that you were cruelly forced, against your will, to whine about zoe quinn in a forum that you hate. it must have been extremely difficult on your mental fortitude to be subjected to such trials and obstacles

Better to post and laugh at internet LOL cows than be one of many bootlickers in a cult.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Raskolnikov38 posted:

not really but I have a feeling the next four to eight years will change my amount of piss knowledge

We are approaching the piss singularity.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Better to post and laugh at internet LOL cows than be one of many bootlickers in a cult.

mods please "laughing out loud cow"

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

Commie NedFlanders posted:

I'm on good terms with SA byob today in fact they bought me plat and made an awesome custom commie flanders avatar but I lost it by posting in D&D

that's good to hear, keep up the good work

try recreating that success in other forums, by taking note of what the other posters there are saying you should do the way you did with byob. if the audience in those other forums just doesn't work with you, then heck maybe that forum is not a good fit

like you tend to have a strong pitch for your opinions, you should mix it up and temper it a bit

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Trabisnikof posted:

Except you'd still be angry because "there's no rule that says mods can make you answer questions!!!!!"

i assumed the xbox analogy was a joke so i didn't respond to it, and i assumed you were joking the first time you quoted it but you just keep quoting it at me

but it's a bad analogy that isn't actually referential to what we are talking about because that wasn't the exchange that took place between the two participants so stop making yourself look bad by using it as a trump card or at least modify it to make it relevant to your point.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Fat Shat Sings posted:

but it's a bad analogy that isn't actually referential to what we are talking about because that wasn't the exchange that took place between the two participants so stop making yourself look bad by using it as a trump card or at least modify it to make it relevant to your point.

on second thought this dude would be a pretty decent entry level d&d poster what with his technically correct posting stance, i beseech the regulars for a Temporary Disfatwa against this poster to allow his roots to gain purchase in the stony soil of europol

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

boner confessor posted:

mods please "laughing out loud cow"

"Chortling bovine"

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

"Chortling bovine"

sorry i dont want to step on yr moms toes

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

boner confessor posted:

on second thought this dude would be a pretty decent entry level d&d poster what with his technically correct posting stance, i beseech the regulars for a Temporary Disfatwa against this poster to allow his roots to gain purchase in the stony soil of europol
Ah, the legalist d&d poster archetype

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Elephant Ambush posted:

"Black people are all lazy criminals in my opinion": blanket statement that is obviously racist but not extreme; perfectly acceptable and not punishable according to the post above

This is a statement which can be verified in an easy way which is appropriate in a debate and discussion forum.

It's actually extremely easy to falsify this statement by simply posting evidence against it, which is plentiful and obvious because clearly black people are not all lazy criminals.

It would take all of 30 seconds to disprove this, and that's the end of it.

Next time your racist uncle says this stupid thing st thanksgiving instead of whining about it online you have a post to refer to which contains said falsifying data

Win win win

quote:

"You are a racist.": Accurate non-opinion statement that is also a personal attack; punishable according to the post above
this is not a topic of debate or discussion within the context of this forum unless the thread is like "am I racist if X?"

Unless the topic is defining what racism is, it's a pointless personal attack and not something within the scope of the forum

seriously guys how complicated do y'all think this has to be?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

"Chortling bovine"

"Hehe Heifers"

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Fat Shat Sings posted:

i assumed the xbox analogy was a joke so i didn't respond to it, and i assumed you were joking the first time you quoted it but you just keep quoting it at me

Do you think it is unreasonable for a mod to ask someone with a history of probations in that thread if they are going to troll a thread?

Is it appropriate for a mod to ask someone with a history of probations in that thread if they're going to be respectful in a thread for respectful discussion?

Should the mod be able to probate someone with a history of probations in that thread for answering "respectfully no" to a mod's request not to threadshit? What about a mod request to be respectful?

What if that same person responds by using "mod sass" instead of a respectful no?

Is replying to a mod "Nein Tyrante" probatable mod sass?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Who What Now posted:

So you obviously didn't read anything in that thread and especially not the OP, because if so you would have seen:

Serious question. If I make a serious effort thread in D&D, can I make special rules in the OP that the mods have to enforce? Because that could be fun.

also

Oh Snapple! posted:

The demand was loving stupid to begin with because Neuroliminal was never anything less than respectful unless your definition of disrespect is "disagreed with a person talking to him in literally any way."

And I mean I almost hate to keep bringing this up, except it's such a perfect example of this double-standard bullshit: the last time he was in that thread folks seriously tried to shame him over his family's privilege of owning the car their poor asses had to live in, then bought him a homophobic avatar for good measure. You're telling me that loving poo poo's okay but saying "I don't know if being assholes even to your allies is a good idea" is crossing a line?

lol

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

what the gently caress is a lol cow

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

boner confessor posted:

i'm just lazy and don't feel like going

"No, you see in terms of this quote

Rodatose posted:

okay, using the universal language of video games, imagine this: a mod asks someone who comes into the x box thread if they are going to troll about the x box. the person says "i'm going to troll about the x box." then they are probated, because the type of ram the x box one has is perfectly acceptable for its needs and these are the nimber one troll free forums on the web

applied to this situation

Koalas March posted:

Hey if you are going to post in this thread, I need to you to explicitly tell me that you're going to respect the feelings of the black posters here.

Neurolimal posted:

*stoically gazes back at the king and his army as sad bagpipes begin to play* nein, tyrante

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

It actually is a bad analogy that doesn't work at all. Because in the X-Box analogy the poster is asked to not troll and the poster responds that they are definitely going to troll.

What actually happened is the poster was asked to explicitly state that they respect people in the thread and the poster responded "No"

In the real scenario the poster refused to make an explicit statement which nobody is required to do. They also simply said "No"

In the wicked takedown analogy that has been quoted at me 4 times now the poster is projected to be saying "NO IM GONNA TROLL YOU GUYS" by the person who made it, to make themselves right.

Therefore it is a bad analogy and the guy who made it is wrong, and the guy who has used it like three times now is making himself look bad because he requires this elaborate and exhaustive explanation to point out why the analogy doesn't even work in the first place proving he is just quoting something he doesn't even understand. "

but who has time for all that man.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Trabisnikof posted:

Do you think it is unreasonable for a mod to ask someone with a history of probations in that thread if they are going to troll a thread?

Is it appropriate for a mod to ask someone with a history of probations in that thread if they're going to be respectful in a thread for respectful discussion?

Should the mod be able to probate someone with a history of probations in that thread for answering "respectfully no" to a mod's request not to threadshit? What about a mod request to be respectful?

What if that same person responds by using "mod sass" instead of a respectful no?

I don't think it's ever appropriate to pre-emptively accuse anyone of anything and you should probably judge them on their actions instead of demanding some sort of dumbass pinky swear bullshit like some sort of 8 year old child.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Rodatose posted:

that's good to hear, keep up the good work

try recreating that success in other forums, by taking note of what the other posters there are saying you should do the way you did with byob. if the audience in those other forums just doesn't work with you, then heck maybe that forum is not a good fit

like you tend to have a strong pitch for your opinions, you should mix it up and temper it a bit

Thanks I appreciate the feedback

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Trabisnikof posted:

1) didn't happen.

2) didn't happen

3) didn't happen

4) the demand shouldn't have been made in the first place so i support the poster

5) it doesn't matter, in my opinion, how out of line the response is to an out of line demand.

The onus is on the moderator to be reasonable here due to their position.

Stop changing things to suit yourself.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

Call Me Charlie posted:

Serious question. If I make a serious effort thread in D&D, can I make special rules in the OP that the mods have to enforce? Because that could be fun.

also

lol

pm a mod for mod permission to work something out, it's really up to them

also keep in mind that even if you got mod permission people would still have to post in that thread.

There have been plenty of threads of various seriousness in diff forums that say "anyone who doesn't post with the word <x> is probated" or "you can only say duck and any posts after I say goose get banned"

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Berke Negri posted:

what the gently caress is a lol cow

its a term that really, really sad people use to refer to someone who is even sadder than themselves on the social ladder, who they can make fun of

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Call Me Charlie posted:

also

lol

Sometimes they give you a whole forum

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

boner confessor posted:

its a term that really, really sad people use to refer to someone who is even sadder than themselves on the social ladder, who they can make fun of

If you aren't a humorless tit it means an internet celebrity who is famous for bad reasons of their own making.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

If you aren't a humorless tit it means an internet celebrity who is famous for bad reasons of their own making.

and yet you get pissy when people make fun of you and your terrible tiny sad penis because... you're not famous among incels?

keep in mind, people who read this post for some reason, the person i am responding to is still really mad about gamergate and also being told they should calm down about gamergate. double standards? woof!!!

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
I guess I'm confused about what prompted this thread. I'm 23 pages in and still haven't seen a single example of supposedly-biased moderation, aside from a couple of 6 hour probations (if you melt down over 6 hour probations you should probably learn to Log Off).

Debate & Discussion threads fit broadly into "Debate" and "Discussion" categories, funnily enough. Each thread has its own culture, which evolves naturally and by consensus of the posters who choose to post about that topic. I don't think it's to anybody's benefit to try and apply the same moderating framework to, say, the Middle East thread, the Marriage Equality thread, the Canadian Politics thread and the "Crazy emails from your family" thread. The current feminism thread was framed explicitly as a place for higher-than-entry-level discussion. Why would anybody waste their time trying to argue the merits of feminism-as-a-concept in that thread? They're allowed to make their own "Feminism 101" or, heck, "Actually men are oppressed" thread and as long as it isn't garbage metacommentary it'll probably stay open. But for some reason they can never be bothered to make the effort.

I'm strongly in favour of D&D's current rules. They're not a list of prescribed words that you aren't allowed to say, they're a set of principles that we as moderators would like posters to bear in mind when they post.

thank's

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I cannot believe it is a difficult concept for people to understand that "maybe women know better than men what is misogynist" and "maybe black people know better than non-black people what is racist against black people."

Why would this be true? Surely a misogynist would know more about misogyny as they are the one experiencing the hatred or distrust of women. Surely the racist knows far more about racism given that they are the one that hold negative views about people because of their race? Given that general consensus in certain circles is that men are overwhelmingly misogynists and whites are overwhelmingly racists wouldn't men know more about misogyny and whites know more about racism? A woman could perceive something a misogynistic that isn't and a black person could perceive something as racist that isn't. Only the misogynist and racist can know with certainty when those accusations are legitimate or not.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Sperghetti posted:

D&D tends to leak out into the funny sub-forums; by effecting change at the source of the virulence, the corruption in the good forums may be stymied, hth

Sounds like some mean D&Der hurt your fee-fees in Pet Island, huh?

Yeah there was nothing weirdly cultish about Gamergate.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

piss__donald posted:

I guess I'm confused about what prompted this thread. I'm 23 pages in and still haven't seen a single example of supposedly-biased moderation, aside from a couple of 6 hour probations (if you melt down over 6 hour probations you should probably learn to Log Off).

Debate & Discussion threads fit broadly into "Debate" and "Discussion" categories, funnily enough. Each thread has its own culture, which evolves naturally and by consensus of the posters who choose to post about that topic. I don't think it's to anybody's benefit to try and apply the same moderating framework to, say, the Middle East thread, the Marriage Equality thread, the Canadian Politics thread and the "Crazy emails from your family" thread. The current feminism thread was framed explicitly as a place for higher-than-entry-level discussion. Why would anybody waste their time trying to argue the merits of feminism-as-a-concept in that thread? They're allowed to make their own "Feminism 101" or, heck, "Actually men are oppressed" thread and as long as it isn't garbage metacommentary it'll probably stay open. But for some reason they can never be bothered to make the effort.

I'm strongly in favour of D&D's current rules. They're not a list of prescribed words that you aren't allowed to say, they're a set of principles that we as moderators would like posters to bear in mind when they post.

thank's

The cops have released a statement vindicating the cops of any wrongdoing. Obviously people just needed to make more threads and hey if you eat a 6er for bad reasons just shut the gently caress up and take it.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
"you have no sense of humor if you don't laugh at pathetic people. also, please do not make fun of my obsession about the rare person more pathetic than me, that is unfair. thank you"

Obviously people just needed to make more threads and hey if you eat a 6er for bad reasons just shut the gently caress up and take it.

how much does it offend you to be blocked from posting on something awful for six hours, in milliliters of tears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

by 'aren't a humorless tit' here he means 'aren't a dick to trans people'

• Locked thread