Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Ferrinus posted:

I've always liked the idea of renaming "demigod" to "human" and getting rid of the as-is human.

Yeah this makes sense.

Do we really need two human subspecies?

Alternatively, rename humans as "Sludge Humans" and demigods as "High Humans"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Yeah this makes sense.

It is fun to play crawl as a High Human

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Mr. Lobe posted:

It is fun to play crawl as a High Human

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Can draconians wear any sort of armor??? waht the gently caress

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Darth Windu posted:

Can draconians wear any sort of armor??? waht the gently caress

They can't wear helmets and anything in the body slot. The natural AC they get is supposed to compensate for this but no body armour means they have no GDR. So they are vulnerable to bad luck in melee wear all their AC gets ignored and they take a ton of damage anyways. I really don't like it.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
As someone who doesn't like demigods I like the idea of them being god-themed draconians.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there's definitely room for a high-stat race that can't worship gods, but it has always seemed weird to me that the one race that's explicitly connected to the gods is the one used for it

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Internet Kraken posted:

They can't wear helmets and anything in the body slot. The natural AC they get is supposed to compensate for this but no body armour means they have no GDR. So they are vulnerable to bad luck in melee wear all their AC gets ignored and they take a ton of damage anyways. I really don't like it.

They should probably get some GDR like gargoyles do, maybe increasing as they level up as their scales get harder and tougher.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
that's why they get more AC, which does mathematically mean they receive less damage on average. yes, you can get unlucky, but GDR only mitigates this so much(and only against melee), and having more AC+EV matters more in general. you will get hurt less on average as draconian than as other blasty casters besides gargoyle

have we gone thru the looking glass to where GDR is overrated again?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
GDR is not overrated. I've played enough games as draconians to know that their lack of it hurts them. Being vulnerable to high swings in damage is really bad when you aren't a dodgy species.

EDIT: I suppose I should clarify; super high amounts of GDR isn't that amazing given it comes with the extreme penalties of heavy armour. However in my experience, the difference between even a small amount of GDR and literally none is quite noticeable.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 13, 2017

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Is GDR mentioned at all in the game? I wouldn't even know it existed if I didn't see people talking about it here.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Yeah this makes sense.

High human is really more of a gameplay choice.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Marijuana is illegal

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

I've always liked the idea of renaming "demigod" to "human" and getting rid of the as-is human.

This, but I'd remove human instead. The name makes them sound newbie-friendly when their lack of focus tends to make things more complicated for those unfamiliar with the game's systems.

Maybe bump up Dg's fighting/spellcasting from -1/-2 to 0/-1 to make them a bit more versatile.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Darth Windu posted:

Marijuana is illegal

You're breaking into people's homes, killing them, and taking their gold. Then you're chopping them up and eating their corpses if you happen to be hungry.

I'm not sure the minor drug possession charge is going to impact your sentence all that much. You can probably toke up.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Beamed posted:

Been a few versions since I played crawl, have they made DemiGods or Mummies fun to play yet? Or have all efforts been put into punishing players?

Mummies: Kinda OK, actually. Spellcasting aptitude boosted (trunk spellcasting at +2 instead of -1), Gozag, and Sif Muna. Gozag's okay for your fighter mummies (you can't drink your potions, but that won't stop Gozag from directly injecting them into your corpse), while Sif Muna is a lot more fun for your Ice Elementalists and whatnot. The improved channeling ability is nice, but it now costs piety. Divine Energy, OTOH, does not. It let's you cast a spell without mana for a few turns of -cast. This sounds bad at first glance, but it lets you spend your MP pretty agressively, and then summon ice beasts to cover your retreat every maybe five turns?

I won't claim you'll fall in love with mummies, but they've never really been all that amazing.

Edit:

quote:

Remove the Mummy self-restoration ability

Since its main use was to cure heavy rot, but mutation no longer causes rotting
in undead, and the stat drain from mutation can be recovered by gaining XP as
with non-undead races.

This also helps.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Is GDR mentioned at all in the game? I wouldn't even know it existed if I didn't see people talking about it here.

it might be in the manual somewhere, but i don't think so.

i really hate the concept that some ac is (invisibly) better than other ac... sometimes... it's so clunky!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

PleasingFungus posted:

it might be in the manual somewhere, but i don't think so.

i really hate the concept that some ac is (invisibly) better than other ac... sometimes... it's so clunky!

I dislike it too. Its a useful mechanic but its totally invisible. It'd work better if you had some kind of reference point for it. Or if it didn't exist and GDR was a natural part of all AC that increased as it got higher, though I bet that would require a lot of rebalancing.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Base AC damage reduction is just subtracting 1d(AC) from all damage, right? If you wanted to move to AC-based (instead of armor-based) GDR, doing something like max(0.1*(AC),1d(AC)) seems reasonable (though the 0.1 number is entirely arbitrary and probably needs to be adjusted).

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

IronicDongz posted:

yeah like, every suggestion for demigod is overcomplicated because it comes from people who don't like playing them and think they need to be "fixed". but they're already in a good spot. if you tack on more gimmicks to them you're kinda missing the point of the species, and maybe you not liking their playstyle just means you're not the target audience for them.

I agree with this but I still don't like demigods. I only have one win with them, so I can't be considered an expert, but I think the lack of religion would actually be an interesting thing to play around if the species by itself were stronger to make up for it. Demigods barely feel stronger than humans without a god until quite late in the game. High HP is overridden by the awful XL growth, so that humans will often have higher or equal HP anyway and high stats are overridden by poor apts.

"But Heithinn Grasida", some will surely say, "don't you know that -1 is actually the baseline, average apt and so demigods don't have poor apts at all? " And I'll reply that for the most part that claim is misleading nonsense. Even if it were true that the actual average aptitude is -1, which if I recall, is not the case, there's a big difference between the average aptitude of all skills over all species and the average aptitude of skills into which players actually invest. Most merfolk will use polearms and ice magic, not axes and fire magic. Many centaurs will use a bow. Tengu will probably cast air magic, and not earth magic. Minotaurs invest in weapons, fighting, dodging and armor and only might dip a little bit into casting. Even though the distinction between species based on aptitudes is growing weaker, it is still very strong. It's reasonably to claim that -1 aptitudes are workable, but it's preposterous to claim that they're average. The average aptitude for skills into which players make deep investment is probably a little under 1, which is much higher than -1.

Demigods really need faster XL growth, there is simply no reason for it to be so low other than flavor, and they really need better apts. As it stands, they're weaker than many species that can follow a god for most of the game. That changes by the very late game when XL growth and aptitudes are not so important, but they're just miserable to play right up until the very end. If you want a game where you're very strong, but have to adapt to what the dungeon gives you, play a human of Chei or Ashenzari. Both experiences will be like playing a demigod, except fun. Making demigods fun won't require making them gimicky, but it will require making them not suck.

I recommend a slight increase in their base stats, boosting their defensive apts to 0, their fighting to +2 and their spellcasting to +1. This keeps the feeling that it's a little harder for them to master specific skills than humans but that they're naturally good at everything. Reducing the amount that they will spend in XP sinks that every demigod is going to invest in will enable them to more versatile, in spite of slowish growth in specific skills.

I strongly recommend at least a big buff to their spellcasting, if nothing else, because high int and high spellcasting makes for very fun casters that can do a little bit of everything. DE has that but DE never wants to be a hybrid. If Dg had big spellcasting, I think they might be able to assume a similar playstyle to that which was lost with the removal of HE.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

I like demigods and this post. They even lost stats when their stat growth got changed from sid/2 to choice/3, it'd be nice to have that compensated for with the apts. Playing gimmicky things like DgFi with ALL THE STR is fun, but for hybrid types using all three stats I don't think choice balances -4 total stats.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Darth Windu posted:

It's insane to me that I can't press P to pray anymore but a frilled lizard and a gnoll can get married

Maybe Crawl is alright now. :unsmith:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Darth Windu posted:

Marijuana is illegal

Ok, a doctor recommended gameplay choice.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Demigods should get a fedora and some manga.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

I like Dgs and I agree almost completely, but I feel the solution is probably even simpler: Just remove their negative xp apt and let them level at +0, that's probably enough to tip their power curve back into fun territory again.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Darth Windu posted:

It's insane to me that I can't press P to pray anymore but a frilled lizard and a gnoll can get married

New God: Mzga the Orange. The game reverts back to Linley's Dungeon Crawl as you gain piety. Rather than corrode you, yellow draconian spit acts like a Potion of Ambrosia.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Darth Windu posted:

Marijuana is illegal

Maybe where you live it is. Prude.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

It always feels weird when people reference old corrosion, that mechanic that only mattered in the early dungeon and basically existed to teach new players to always carry stones so they can fight jellies.

It technically existed beyond that but literally every player had like 80%+ resistance to it if they weren't totally immune.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Time to put on my randart gear so I can clear Slime.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Time to put on my randart gear so I can clear Slime.

Make sure to wear dwarf armor for the slots where you don't have any randarts! Unless you're wearing elvish body armour and the swap hurts your spell success too much...

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Remember to burn your enchant armour and enchant weapons to at least +5 for your body armour and weapon!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I just wore a cloak of preservation.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Pray before attacking, pray over corpses

I remember back in the day how terrifying centaurs seemed to be to my little minotaur

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

I worshipped old Chei and turned a bunch of random poo poo into randarts so I wouldn't ruin my actual good stuff.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Sage Grimm posted:

Remember to burn your enchant armour and enchant weapons to at least +5 for your body armour and weapon!

On the other hand, going to +5 is where ?ea and ?ew(i/ii/iii) got a failure chance, so if you wanted to avoid frustration, it might be better to stick to just +4...

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

It was what, 90% chance to not disenchant at +4 for a successful corrosion hit? +5 gave immunity.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

rchandra posted:

I like demigods and this post. They even lost stats when their stat growth got changed from sid/2 to choice/3, it'd be nice to have that compensated for with the apts. Playing gimmicky things like DgFi with ALL THE STR is fun, but for hybrid types using all three stats I don't think choice balances -4 total stats.

All INT on Dg casters is fun too, since you can beat deep elf and have great HP (even though it doesn't matter until something like depths 5 when you will have finally caught up in your primary casting skill). I'm always tempted to invest a little into all three anyway, though, so I can wear heavy armor and have decent EV, so the new stat gain scheme is still a loss for me over the previous one.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
give demigods an atheism 'religion' and have them gain piety by smashing altars

when you hit six pips of piety, you can recite the john galt speech

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

mormonpartyboat posted:

give demigods an atheism 'religion' and have them gain piety by smashing altars

when you hit six pips of piety, you can recite the john galt speech

Lasts until you take another action besides wait, enemies are confused on the first turn, berserk on the third, and start meleeing themselves on the fifth.

Ignores MR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Smash altars, forever get that god's wrath but because your god-like aura is much bigger than normal mortals they have a harder time pinpointing your exact position. So occasionally enemies within LOS get targeted by the wrath by mistake.

XOM thinks it is rather lame so they won't play with you.

• Locked thread