Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Paul Zuvella posted:

Brian Doziers trade value is the highest it's possibly going to be right now.

Trading in Basketball and Baseball is not even remotely comparable. Bird Rights in basketball matter, and if the Dodgers wanted to sign Dozier then they can just pay more than anyone else. The biggest part of Doziers value is the fact that he has 2 full years of control left.

Sure, you could argue that Dozier could be putting up MVP numbers at the tradeline and that could make his value higher. Or a team could desperately need a 2B to contend but I somehow doubt either of those things will be the case.

If Dozier is on the twins by next offseason then the twins have hosed up really, really, really badly and you should be mad at your team.

e: TL;DR Doziers value at the trade deadline is, best case, slightly higher than it is now or the same. It most likely will be lower though and thats why you trade him now.

Plus Love's impact as 1 of the starting 5 greatly outweighs Dozier's potential impact as 1 of the starting 8, especially when you factor in usage/leverage. And the Cavs had quite the unique situation with LeBron's return, so there was extra incentive to satisfy his preferences and go all-out while the window was open. I can't really fathom Kershaw or any other star knocking on a door to stress that they need to go get Dozier.

But hey, it just takes one bad GM to make a panic move. I would bet against it but it's still possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Timby posted:

I still think Cubs fans heavily overrate Schwarber's bat. He's an on-base machine but he's consistently proven that he can't hit lefties at any level above A ball.

As much as I love Schwarber I agree on him being a bit overrated. His contact rate is abysmal and there is no way he can keep up that home run rate. Plus I think teams are going to apply the shift to him much more next season. Still think he'll improve against lefties and all-around but not sure he's going to turn into one of the best pure hitters in baseball like some Cubs fans believe.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Forgive them Beefy Lad they know not what they have done.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I've yet to hear any plausible proposal of even one other team that's likely to give up more than JDL+ for Dozier. There simply aren't any other near-term contenders who need a 2B upgrade as badly as the Dodgers do, AND who have prospects as good as JDL to trade.

The Twins can either hold on to Dozier and hope that both:
1) he doesn't have a slow start this year
2) some contender gets desperate at the deadline for a 2B due to injury etc
Or they can trade him now for an MLB-ready starter who's upside is James Shields and a couple other lotto tickets.

They've chosen to take the former risk rather than the latter, and I get the impression it's because this is a new front office group and they're worried about the fan optics of trading a beloved player like Dozier as their first big move.

Anyway, that's more than enough harping on IcePhoenix, sorry dude.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Niwrad posted:

As much as I love Schwarber I agree on him being a bit overrated. His contact rate is abysmal and there is no way he can keep up that home run rate. Plus I think teams are going to apply the shift to him much more next season. Still think he'll improve against lefties and all-around but not sure he's going to turn into one of the best pure hitters in baseball like some Cubs fans believe.

Sorry can't hear you over my sports radio people telling me he's going to be Babe 'effing Ruth

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Just read my avatar!!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
yes, the 23 year old who spent all of one full season in the minors has peaked

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
Small Sample Size it all you want but anyone who can go straight from the DL and two Arizona Fall League games to a .412/.500/.471 line in the World Series probably has enough natural hitting talent to figure out lefties and beat shifts in the next half-decade or so

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Holy poo poo we've invoked post season slash lines brace for impact

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Poque posted:

yes, the 23 year old who spent all of one full season in the minors has peaked

I don't think anyone is saying that. Just that his bad contact rate and the fact he is left-handed will limit how good he can potentially be. Still think he's going to be a really good hitter, just not what some people are valuing him at.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Like sure your right. But holy poo poo this dude went from not hitting major league pitching after being out p much the whole year to being important and key in almost every win in the World Series.

I'm just gonna marinate in that fact for an offseason irrationally.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
My hot take is that Schwarber will be a good power hitter and OBP presence, and if he avoids injury and gets a full season's worth of AB's he'll probably improve at least marginally against LHP. To this end I think he shouldn't be catching and risking further injury and instead play LF where the Cubs can rely primarily on Jay, Almora, and Heyward to provide the bulk of the defense.

This ends my hot take.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sydin posted:

My hot take is that Schwarber will be a good power hitter and OBP presence, and if he avoids injury and gets a full season's worth of AB's he'll probably improve at least marginally against LHP. To this end I think he shouldn't be catching and risking further injury and instead play LF where the Cubs can rely primarily on Jay, Almora, and Heyward to provide the bulk of the defense.

This ends my hot take.

Actually he should be traded to an AL team where he can just hit, as is proper and intended.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

Actually he should be traded to an AL team where he can just hit, as is proper and intended.

Nope.

Bring DH to both leagues imo

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dexo posted:

Like sure your right. But holy poo poo this dude went from not hitting major league pitching after being out p much the whole year to being important and key in almost every win in the World Series.

I'm just gonna marinate in that fact for an offseason irrationally.

I will probably name my first born after him for what he did in the World Series. I just think it got a little crazy when people were saying they wouldn't put him in a Chris Sale trade.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Niwrad posted:

I will probably name my first born after him for what he did in the World Series. I just think it got a little crazy when people were saying they wouldn't put him in a Chris Sale trade.

I worked Cubs Convention last year and one couple I checked in was extremely excited to tell me how horny they were after the Schwarbomb and how it resulted in the "Schwarbaby" growing inside of the wife

Niwrad posted:

I don't think anyone is saying that. Just that his bad contact rate and the fact he is left-handed will limit how good he can potentially be. Still think he's going to be a really good hitter, just not what some people are valuing him at.

His contact rate was better than Bryant's in 2015, and Bryant's went up like 7% in 2016. you can improve on these things.

I do not think he will be Babe Ruth, just that his peak is higher than his literal rookie season

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Poque posted:

His contact rate was better than Bryant's in 2015, and Bryant's went up like 7% in 2016. you can improve on these things.

Bryant is not a left-handed pull hitter. No chance Schwarber can come close to Bryant's BABIP.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
I'm going to have faith that the guy entering his age 24 season with 85 total MLB games across the regular and postseason under his belt probably has the tools, ability and willingness to improve on his offensive weaknesses while also continuing to be the genetic freak he's shown himself to be in both ideal and non-ideal situations.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Kyle Schwarber is fat

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Dexo posted:

Nope.

Bring DH to both leagues imo

No, it's fun watching 10 or so game a year where teams have to work around their pitchers at the plate.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

New Concept Hole posted:

Holy poo poo we've invoked post season slash lines brace for impact

I'd swear someone cited the Cubs' team babip for a single game at one point last October.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

CubsWoo posted:

Small Sample Size it all you want but anyone who can go straight from the DL and two Arizona Fall League games to a .412/.500/.471 line in the World Series probably has enough natural hitting talent to figure out lefties and beat shifts in the next half-decade or so

Yeah, no. A sample size of 20(!) PAs is literally meaningless, whether it's the World Series or spring training.

I'm probably lower on Schwarber than a lot of people here (and certainly lower than the Cubs fans). I'm not expecting him to fall off a cliff but I wouldn't be surprised if he can't maintain a 130 OPS+ since he'll probably be seeing a lot more shifts and LOOGYs than he did in 2015.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Tony Phillips posted:

I'd swear someone cited the Cubs' team babip for a single game at one point last October.

It was before that, I remember it. It was someone talking about how the Cubs had the actual best record in baseball when they didn't because of BABIP or something. I want to say it was in May or June. It was like "loss x shouldn't count because the babip was .400" and poo poo like that. It was magical.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
i'd say that point is proven now :smugdog:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bawfuls posted:

I've yet to hear any plausible proposal of even one other team that's likely to give up more than JDL+ for Dozier. There simply aren't any other near-term contenders who need a 2B upgrade as badly as the Dodgers do, AND who have prospects as good as JDL to trade.

The Twins can either hold on to Dozier and hope that both:
1) he doesn't have a slow start this year
2) some contender gets desperate at the deadline for a 2B due to injury etc
Or they can trade him now for an MLB-ready starter who's upside is James Shields and a couple other lotto tickets.

They've chosen to take the former risk rather than the latter, and I get the impression it's because this is a new front office group and they're worried about the fan optics of trading a beloved player like Dozier as their first big move.

Anyway, that's more than enough harping on IcePhoenix, sorry dude.

not that you ever bothered to ask but my point is just that he's worth a second "good" prospect instead of lotto tickets, especially given that the Dodgers, in your words, badly need a 2B upgrade.

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

IcePhoenix posted:

not that you ever bothered to ask but my point is just that he's worth a second "good" prospect instead of lotto tickets, especially given that the Dodgers, in your words, badly need a 2B upgrade.

Just watch, the Dodgers will trade for Brett Lawrie and then be back in the market for Dozier by like June when Lawrie inevitably ends up on the DL.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

we have a BSOHL report on MLB Network :siren:

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2017/01/11/miguel-cabrera-turning-heads-with-offseason-workouts-video/

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Maybe the Twins will be contenders by 2018 and Brian Dozier will hit a walkoff home run in game 7 of the World Series.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Patrick Spens posted:

No, it's fun watching 10 or so game a year where teams have to work around their pitchers at the plate.

I agree. I'm a fan of an AL team and love the DH but I like that each league has a substantive difference still.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

Such as who? Cause including Bellinger, Alvarez, or Buehler would be an overpay. Apparently the Dodgers said no to including Brock Stewart, which seems overkill to me. If that's your sticking point then we're in agreement. But I don't think JDL and lotto tickets is an absurd lowball, as your initial posts implied.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Rockies signed Chris Denorfia to a minor league deal. :effort:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Inspector_666 posted:

Swihart for Schwarber, who says no?

Other than both teams that is.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

kyle schwarber scouting report

beefiness: 80
dingers: 70
oafishness: 80
goatee: 20

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Schwarber for Gattis

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

will_colorado posted:

Rockies signed Chris Denorfia to a minor league deal. :effort:

I hear he is the sickest player.

https://youtu.be/aCCKEsNMomA

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

howe_sam posted:

Swihart for Schwarber, who says no?

Other than both teams that is.

The Red Sox would jump on that so loving fast lmao.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Create a new expansion team of only the beefiest players. Bartolo, Dae-Ho Lee, Schwarber, Panda. Where do we find a fat guy to play center and short?

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
I have memories of Vernon wells being kinda chunky but after looking through some pics I must have been imagining things or catching him at weird angles

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

I have memories of Vernon wells being kinda chunky but after looking through some pics I must have been imagining things or catching him at weird angles

Did you watch baseball on an HDTV with the image stretched to fit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
As a fan of both the Twins and Dodgers, the Twins are dumb as gently caress for being so low on JDL and the Dodgers are dumb as gently caress because they have an entire boardroom of Super Smart GMs and they can't figure out how to use their assets to acquire a good player who can actually play more than 1/3 of the time

• Locked thread