Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

hyperdevbox posted:

I don't know why some people are getting the impression that we haven't released any games, and only did porting for Android...
Here is a list of the main titles we have developed:
  • Matchiiz
  • Indy 500 Arcade Racing
  • ExZeus
  • ExZeus 2
  • LoveCatch

I played the ExZeus games when they came out. They were neat for the time but don't demonstrate the ability to handle anything resembling the kind of scope that you're trying to fund here. And while Indy 500 is a pretty cool little 90s Sega racing homage, it also doesn't really scream "potential tactical RPG developer" to anyone.

Given that I've played three of the five games you listed, and enjoyed a couple of the games you ported, and find the French revolution fascinating, and don't have an issue with it being trivialized for the sake of a different story, I'm about as close to being in your corner here as anyone's been thus far. But the extent of your interaction with tactical RPGs up to this point has been porting them, and the extent of your development up to this point (at least from what I've experienced) has been 90s arcade homages. There's nothing that indicates your ability to tackle a project of this scale, nothing that hints at the quality of your writing, nothing that implies you're even capable of making a generic tactical RPG, let alone one with an interesting twist on the format that would inspire me to put down money for this. Hell, why would I even go for this over one of the games you've ported?

You're acting like you've already proven yourself, but you really haven't. That's not to say you can't prove yourself, but you need to show more than you have to prove that you've got a coherent vision for this thing, and an idea for how it's going to play beyond merely stating what genre it falls into. You keep stating that you have reasons you're not along that far yet, which is fine... but that also means it's a really terrible time to start the campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

hyperdevbox posted:

I don't know why some people are getting the impression that we haven't released any games, and only did porting for Android...
  • Matchiiz
  • Indy 500 Arcade Racing
  • ExZeus
  • ExZeus 2
  • LoveCatch

I didn't get that impression.

I got the impression you released a few games, and wanted to make people think you had more to do with the others you only ported than you did, too.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

hyperdevbox posted:

Why is that?

This is the first game you listed:

It's good to develop, making things gives you experience. Using something like this as a bragging point is going to super work against you though, especially when you're using it to show why your next project that's a hundred times more complicated is totally doable.

e: also hell yeah, I'd totally love to see some historyposts on the Revolution

Good Dumplings fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jan 13, 2017

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

hyperdevbox posted:

Why is that?

Honestly, I had no idea you guys were responsible for porting some of my well-liked tactical JRPGs like spectral force. Did you guys port the psp / PlayStation versions of these games too, or just the android ones?

I'm actually a massive fan of anything tactical rpg. Haven't found a good one in years. I must have sunk a hundred drat hours into some of them (disgaea).

I wish there were some good tJRGs still.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Mods, this dude has people on his ignore list and yet you let him shill

Is this still funny to you all? It's honestly just embarassing for this subforum at this point tbh

Play on playas, I'm off to bigger and better projects :colbert:

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
I think they are going for the long con really bruv.

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

sethsez posted:

I played the ExZeus games when they came out. They were neat for the time but don't demonstrate the ability to handle anything resembling the kind of scope that you're trying to fund here. And while Indy 500 is a pretty cool little 90s Sega racing homage, it also doesn't really scream "potential tactical RPG developer" to anyone.

Given that I've played three of the five games you listed, and enjoyed a couple of the games you ported, and find the French revolution fascinating, and don't have an issue with it being trivialized for the sake of a different story, I'm about as close to being in your corner here as anyone's been thus far. But the extent of your interaction with tactical RPGs up to this point has been porting them, and the extent of your development up to this point (at least from what I've experienced) has been 90s arcade homages. There's nothing that indicates your ability to tackle a project of this scale, nothing that hints at the quality of your writing, nothing that implies you're even capable of making a generic tactical RPG, let alone one with an interesting twist on the format that would inspire me to put down money for this. Hell, why would I even go for this over one of the games you've ported?

You're acting like you've already proven yourself, but you really haven't. That's not to say you can't prove yourself, but you need to show more than you have to prove that you've got a coherent vision for this thing, and an idea for how it's going to play beyond merely stating what genre it falls into. You keep stating that you have reasons you're not along that far yet, which is fine... but that also means it's a really terrible time to start the campaign.

No one here is acting like we've proven ourselves already...
I don't understand what's wrong with showcasing the fact that we have ported big JRPGs to mobile and developed several games. This is just to show our experience in the gaming market. Isn't that better than having no experience at all? Are you saying that you would only consider backing a game by a company that already has experience in developing games in the same genre? That doesn't make any sense to me.
And yes, we realize that our timing wasn't great, and that we should've waited longer until we had more to showcase, but we believe that the concept of the game is attractive and cool, and we know we can make this game. But the only thing we need right now is support from people who would like to see this game come to life.

You can say that you would like to see this game released, or that you think the concept is cool/interesting, wish us luck and follow our progress. Or you can also critique our workflow, our game, or give us tips or ideas about our game, growing our community or about crowdfunding.
But I don't see the point in saying things like "I'm as close to being in your corner here as anyone's been thus far", as if you're expecting a big thank you from us for being the "only" guy who supports us.
:smugjones:

Prism posted:

I didn't get that impression.

I got the impression you released a few games, and wanted to make people think you had more to do with the others you only ported than you did, too.

We don't "want to make people think" anything. We are transparent about everything we've done.

Thursday Next posted:

Honestly, I had no idea you guys were responsible for porting some of my well-liked tactical JRPGs like spectral force. Did you guys port the psp / PlayStation versions of these games too, or just the android ones?

I'm actually a massive fan of anything tactical rpg. Haven't found a good one in years. I must have sunk a hundred drat hours into some of them (disgaea).

I wish there were some good tJRGs still.

Thank you! We are hoping to make Thermidor a GREAT Tactical JRPG. So just stay in touch! SA is a good place to be in contact with us and let us know if there is anything you would like to see in the game (:
Oh, and we did not port Spectral Force by Idea Factory, we ported Spectral Souls.

By the way, the new dialogue screen looks great. And I'll try to get a screenshot today so you can see what we've been working on the past week.
Also, we've been working on some concepts for new baddies for the game, and all I can say right now is that they look friggin cool, and are super evil... :dva:

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Here it is!
Even though they look static in these images, they are not!
I'll try to get a video of this dialogue screen ASAP.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Douzo!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SIaz0eIcI8

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
One awkward, poorly written exchange, and a tech demo that you pulled screenshots from 3 months ago.

The level of unwarranted bravado (or delusion) that you're demonstrating is nothing short of astounding.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

SPIN THAT CAMERA

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Did you just film someone's computer on your phone?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

this loving sucks, sorry OP

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Cool now get rid of all the 3D stuff.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
It does actually look a little better like that.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

hyperdevbox posted:

I don't understand what's wrong with showcasing the fact that we have ported big JRPGs to mobile and developed several games. This is just to show our experience in the gaming market. Isn't that better than having no experience at all? Are you saying that you would only consider backing a game by a company that already has experience in developing games in the same genre? That doesn't make any sense to me.
Once again, you're not listening.

There is nothing wrong with having ported games. That's a fine way to make a living, and I enjoyed the ports you made. But porting a game and creating a new game from scratch are two extremely different things, and you have yet to show you're capable of doing that on the scale of a project like this.

I am not saying that I would only consider backing a game by someone with previous experience. Nobody is saying that. What everyone is saying is that you either need to show enough work to prove you're capable of doing the job, or have enough of a pedigree to show that you're going to be good for it.

If Yasumi Matsuno came here with your exact pitch, people would give him the benefit of the doubt because he created Tactics Ogre and Final Fantasy Tactics, so regardless of the dearth of content, people would judge his past efforts and conclude that he's capable of handling this workload and understands what a project like this entails.

You are not Yasumi Matsuno. Smaller devs such as yourselves who are trying to kickstart a project on a much bigger scale than anything they've done previously typically need to show more of their work. Meaningful gameplay information, a detailed development plan, maybe even a small playable demo.

quote:

And yes, we realize that our timing wasn't great, and that we should've waited longer until we had more to showcase, but we believe that the concept of the game is attractive and cool, and we know we can make this game. But the only thing we need right now is support from people who would like to see this game come to life.
The internet is filled to the brim with cool concepts for games. Everyone has a great concept for a game, or a movie, or a book, and they frequently have several of each. What people here have been asking you for, repeatedly, is evidence that you can actually bring this concept to fruition, demonstrating how you plan to do so, and giving more detail about what the concept actually is so we know it exists as more than a simple log line and genre. You say "we know we can make this game" but that doesn't mean anything if the people you're asking to invest don't know that.

quote:

You can say that you would like to see this game released, or that you think the concept is cool/interesting, wish us luck and follow our progress. Or you can also critique our workflow, our game, or give us tips or ideas about our game, growing our community or about crowdfunding.
But I don't see the point in saying things like "I'm as close to being in your corner here as anyone's been thus far", as if you're expecting a big thank you from us for being the "only" guy who supports us.
I didn't bring that up because I expected a thank you, I brought it up to say that I am one of the only guys here, in this thread, who's in your corner, who knows who you are, who's enjoyed your past products, and who wouldn't mind seeing something more ambitious from you if you'd just stop taking offense to everything and actually listen to the people you're asking money to give you money. I'm one of the people you could, by all means, be reaching with a different approach, and I wanted to illustrate why you might be having trouble here from the perspective of someone who is familiar with, and likes, your past work.

Instead, you used it as an opportunity to condescend to me and illustrate precisely what you think of previous customers if they're doubtful of your current project. So that's cool. :)

The idle tweening animations look incredibly distracting. Static portraits would look better than that as it currently exists. Proper animation would of course be better still, but you probably don't have the budget for that.

sethsez fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jan 13, 2017

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Your exciting demo battle is like the slowest thing I've ever seen ever. This is supposed to get people excited while looking attractive and cool? You should really take a step back and look at how long it takes to go through a turn as fast as you possibly can because holy poo poo that looks painful for one turn of movement, never mind actual combat. That is the majority of your game. You're expecting players to do that for thousands of turns across the game. You can't make that look amazing if your life depended on it.

Every single post seems to go back to the same problem each and every time. Just under all the generic anime curtains, the actual game you are trying to pitch to people looks terrible. You don't need any experience beyond "has played a strategy rpg before" to see something is really wrong with that gameplay. It's just that what everyone is saying here is just the most basic aspects of game design. People just shouldn't have to explain any of this and being hyper defensive just makes it look worse.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

There is no way that great big player turn screen is gonna get annoying.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

I like how there's no animations other then basic movement so the savage guards can only crowd around him with extreme prejudice.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

hyperdevbox posted:

• Matchiiz
  • Indy 500 Arcade Racing
  • ExZeus
  • ExZeus 2
  • LoveCatch

How come I can't find these games on the Appstore.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

KingSlime posted:

Mods, this dude has people on his ignore list and yet you let him shill

Is this still funny to you all? It's honestly just embarassing for this subforum at this point tbh

Play on playas, I'm off to bigger and better projects :colbert:

Please have more faith in the mo-mos.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

So the Most Christian King, Louis XVI, in the Year of Our Lord 1789, with all the other poo poo he has going on in that year (like a mass political and popular revolt against the legitimacy of his government, maybe you've heard of this), takes a personal interest in investigating this one noble girl's disappearance. Who the gently caress is she? You're writing some checks here I'm not sure you can cash.

The captain of the guards seems pretty reasonable here. I had a hard time not taking his side. He's been told that he's to find out about a kidnapped noble, he goes to the residence of the person last seen with her, who admits to having met her. He doesn't like flip out or anything, though, he just asks to search the place. He is not even personally suspicious of or hostile to Leandre. It's not what I would call the best due process but my impression is that this is a hell of a lot better than they'd have to do. Plus what the gently caress is Leandre going to do here? Actually shoot or stab members of the Swiss Guard? What's his dad going to do when he gets back about his son actually attacking the King's men?

The "Player Turn/Enemy Turn" transition screens last way too long and would annoy the gently caress out of me.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I like how there's no animations other then basic movement so the savage guards can only crowd around him with extreme prejudice.

Doors in Ancient Frankistan opened of their own accord when someone got close enough to them and then teleported visitors a few feet inside the room in a flash of light.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

This thread is really educational! I love learning new stuff!

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]
OP, having a thread up here on Something Awful isn't a good idea. We are what they call "Goons" (short for 'Goonies', we started as a fan club) and we can be very mean sometimes. I am looking at some of the newer posts and I have some (very) minor experience for game development (I could be considered a consultant for a very insignificant aspect of a somewhat popular indie game) and I can tell you are putting more effort into this than some of the previous attempts (Zybourne Clock). You aren't just coming to the table with a half assed idea and half assed understanding and expecting people to make the game for you. Instead, you have manifested your half-assed idea in a somewhat laughable (though still feasible) game. And, OP, if you want to know the truth you are trying to market too little too early. If you incubated this into a hilariously inaccurate JRPG set in the French Revolution as retold by Japanese game developers drunkenly but with fun gameplay that exists and can actually be played that would be a different story. We aren't a bunch of mouth breathing children using our mothers credit cards to buy mobile game, we are a bunch of mouth breathing manchildren with a diverse selection of credit cards (some people have their own) to buy steam games, and this kind of marketing is really inneffective due to this slight difference in awareness.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

hyperdevbox posted:

We don't "want to make people think" anything. We are transparent about everything we've done.

This is a portion of your Android games page. Specifically it's the bottom part of this one, found by going to Games --> Android on your menu.

You have mixed in games you have created with games you have only ported. Hell, the Agarest War one says 'Developed & Published by HYPERDEVBOX JAPAN'. Meanwhile, there's no text whatsoever that says you did different things for LoveCatch and Spectral Souls, or Generation of Chaos, or Blazing Souls. While it does give credit when you go to the actual specific game page (in a single line like '©2014 IDEA FACTORY/COMPILE HEART/RED. Developed and published by HYPERDEVBOX'), how is this not somewhat deceptive at first glance? Saying you developed this one conflicts with your post here, doesn't it?

hyperdevbox posted:

• Matchiiz
  • Indy 500 Arcade Racing
  • ExZeus
  • ExZeus 2
  • LoveCatch

Basically, I think that, though you haven't precisely lied, you're certainly making the very deliberate choice to obscure how involved (or not) you are with the production of these games. When most other companies do this, they generally state whether they were only involved in a port or publishing or the whole creative process. They might even think to do something like mention the actual company that created these games on other platforms on their index page, or maybe have two indexes - in your case one with the five games you listed in your post, and one with everything else.

Prism fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jan 13, 2017

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I would definitely believe that HBD did the art for these games

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

The second one looks like a loving rageface.

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

hyperdevbox posted:

Isn't that better than having no experience at all?
no

quote:

Are you saying that you would only consider backing a game by a company that already has experience in developing games in the same genre?
yes

quote:

That doesn't make any sense to me.
you seem to have this problem a lot

quote:

But the only thing we need right now is support from people who would like to see this game come to life.
all 30 of them have donated to you already

quote:

did you rehire the guy that was fired? this smugness is a good way to lose your 30 fans

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
There was never a firing or a hiring. It was always ron, it always will be.

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]

nerdz posted:

There was never a firing

This thread has been an internet firing squad since the beginning.

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

nerdz posted:

There was never a firing or a hiring. It was always ron, it always will be.

oh no

have I been bamboozled by ron?

ron, what do you have to say for yourself? how could you trick your loyal fans

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

lmao, you have a "battle demo" that shows no actual battle

How do you still not get it, if there was anyone here that genuinely gave a poo poo and wasn't here to just be entertained by your continued incompetence, they wouldn't give a poo poo about how your dialogue windows work or how badly your japanese voice actors can mangle random bits of french

If you want people to be interested in your game, try developing the loving game and then showing them some of that

BluJay
Oct 1, 2004

I've got my eye on the finish line
This is still pretty funny.

This is an improvement, but there are some changes that would help more:
  • The breathing idle is way too big on the characters which is really distracting, giving a lot of motion that draws the eye away from the text and 2d characters.
  • The player turn/enemy turn screens are way WAY too long. Honestly, they aren't even necessary, get rid of them and use some other way to indicate the turn order.
  • Movement animations are too slow, again making the turns too long. I don't like most SRPGs because I spend too long watching and waiting while this character moves over there and that character moves over there. Snappier action would get people to want to play more.
  • The only animations shown are movement. Show some combat, characters hitting other characters. You talk about an enemy being able to interrupt a player's movement, so show that. Frankly, that's really simple gameplay logic and just a few extra animations, at least for a prototype. If you can't take the game that far before making videos and asking for money, it doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. And if you did implement that, why not actually show it?
  • Also, get Fraps or something, taking a video of someone's computer is super amature hour.

hyperdevbox posted:

Attitude like this is the exact opposite of helping. It's attitude like this that draws people on these forums like a moth to flame to make fun of you.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

weak wrists big dick posted:

This thread has been an internet firing squad since the beginning.

My personal theory is that the CEO is responsible for all terrible broken english posts. This whole debacle was undoubtedly his idea from start to finish, and it's pretty clear from their pitch videos that his grasp of the english language is tenuous at best.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Lol, this hyperdevbox guy is such a oval office I'mp starting to wonder if we're being trolled.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
I hope so, there's nothing quite like a dev realizing they won the argument but lost the customer

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Good Dumplings posted:

I hope so, there's nothing quite like a dev realizing they won the argument but lost the customer

This sums up Ron's entire attitude, as far as I can tell.

Like, I bought ExZeus, ExZeus 2 and Indy 500 when they came out and enjoyed all of them because they're decently-made homages to Sega arcade games which is straight nostalgia fuel for me, and the first two came out at a time when dedicated Android support wasn't really a thing. I also have Spectral Souls and Generations of Chaos, which were decently-ported time killers with some interesting mechanics and a pretty massive chunk of content (again, especially for the time).

So when I saw a thread made by HyperDevBox announcing a new tactical RPG actually developed by them my first thought was "oh cool, that's what they've been up to, I hope this works out well for them! :)" Given how long they've been in the business, I opened this thread expecting to see some decent progress made and, after a few derisive posts (because it's SA, of course there will be), some discussion on how development is going to go.

Instead they showed up with barely nothing and a shitload of attitude. Most intelligent devs at this point would either ditch the community entirely as a lost cause, or, if they're determined to stay, rise above the insults because they're trying to sell themselves to the community, so insulting the community isn't going to achieve anything other than wasting everyone's time. Like... cool HyperDevBox, you called someone a dick. What does that do to progress you toward your goal here at all?

It really makes me feel a bit embarrassed for having been a fan, doubly so since apparently Ron thinks it was dumb of me to have been a fan as well. I'd like to think the rest of the team is cooler than this guy and have no idea what he's getting up to online under their name.

sethsez fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 13, 2017

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

sethsez posted:

It really makes me feel a bit embarrassed for having been a fan, doubly so since apparently Ron thinks it was dumb of me to have been a fan as well. I'd like to think the rest of the team is cooler than this guy and have no idea what he's getting up to online under their name.

You know, as far as I can tell, it's possible that the OP has no affiliation with HDB at all. Like this could just be some kind of performance art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

sethsez posted:

The internet is filled to the brim with cool concepts for games. Everyone has a great concept for a game, or a movie, or a book, and they frequently have several of each. What people here have been asking you for, repeatedly, is evidence that you can actually bring this concept to fruition, demonstrating how you plan to do so, and giving more detail about what the concept actually is so we know it exists as more than a simple log line and genre.

This is a very, very good point and I wish you'd listen to it, OP.

If I'm asking you for money to do a thing, it's only right that I prove I can do that thing. That proof can take several forms - I can show you a bunch of similar things I've already done, I can show you that I'm currently already doing that thing well, or I can show you other people that vouch for my ability to do that thing. You haven't done these.

Edit: But I do love the games you've ported. Blazing Souls, Spectral Souls, and Generations of Chaos were all great. I even bought Agarest stuff on Steam (though I really wish I hadn't - I'm a woman, and these games are loving foul).

Man, now I'm all nostalgic for good tRPGs.

Thursday Next fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 13, 2017

• Locked thread