Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Honestly, to be most accurate to everyone's real world usage their battery life testing should be binging netflix/youtube and/or going to wikipedia and opening random links in new tabs for each tab open, all while downloading torrents and maybe a worm or two.

Also a shitposting markov bot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

FCKGW posted:

Some of CRs tests had claimed at 19+ hour battery which isn't even possible. Their testing was fundamentally broken and they should have sorted their poo poo out before posting a clickbait "apple loses recommendation for first time ever!" article.
The "fixed" results came back between 13-18 hours depending on model

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king

jawbroken posted:

Strong Sauce posted:

i mean defending apple is one thing, but how can you not be mad about this if you bought the 2016 model?
My battery life was great for the month I was using it and it's probably a software issue. Fun watching everyone get riled up, though.

jawbroken posted:

Sure, of course, did anyone say otherwise? It should be investigated and fixed. I said that because people are posting like it's a hardware issue with the battery design, which is probably not the case.

Whatever else, I think we can all agree that my posts were accurate and “Strong Sauce” was/is wrong.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Choadmaster posted:

Wiping an SSD is complicated because you never know for sure what the firmware is doing (in particular, reserving areas for garbage collection). You can google for how to "wipe" an SSD and you'll get a dozen different recommendations, including 'it's unnecessary'. *shrug*

The right thing to do is encrypt your data properly to begin with. Filevault makes this extraordinarily easy (and I'm pretty sure it's even on by default on new installs now).

Is it just me or is FileVault on any modern Mac with an SSD almost transparently fast?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Three-Phase posted:

Is it just me or is FileVault on any modern Mac with an SSD almost transparently fast?

It’s not just you. Starting in 2010, processors got dedicated instructions for cryptography.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

BobHoward posted:

It is definitely CR's job to not deliberately break Safari by turning on the developer menu to disable a feature that is something they should be testing because ordinary people do not deliberately break Safari.

loving hilarious that you think disabling caching is "deliberately breaking Safari". You couldn't be more disingenuous if we were playing for prizes.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Pivo posted:

loving hilarious that you think disabling caching is "deliberately breaking Safari". You couldn't be more disingenuous if we were playing for prizes.

Disabling caching for a benchmark isn't a small change. Think of the increase in network traffic. Wireless data uses battery lift.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Disabling caching for a benchmark isn't a small change. Think of the increase in network traffic. Wireless data uses battery lift.

The only thing that matters is that it was equally disabled on all the tests across different machines. You need to think of the result of the test as a unit-less number, not in terms of hours. Think of it like a score. What did they get, 18 or 19 hours on the high end with the fixed test? No one actually gets 18 or 19 hours. By leaving it enabled, it introduces a variable (the aggressiveness of the browser's cache) that is otherwise easily controlled for.

Saying "we did what we usually do, and the scores are crazy" was perfectly valid.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

tuyop posted:

Is there a way to be notified when a, say, 2015 15" mpb drops on the refurb store? I'm in Canada. What was the largest ssd and best video card offered on those? My googling is totally failing me and I need a second laptop and my 13" air was kind of frustrating for doing some of the stuff I need to do.

Anyone? I mean it sounds like I should disable browser caching and refresh the page for 15 hours straight and post about it or something.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

tuyop posted:

Anyone? I mean it sounds like I should disable browser caching and refresh the page for 15 hours straight and post about it or something.

Google man

https://refurb-tracker.com/

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
Guys it can be both. consumer reports can have a lovely test that doesn't represent the real world AND there can be a bad bug in safari that no one will ever hit.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Three-Phase posted:

We've done testing at work and at most it's 4% difference in performance which you're not going to notice.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Strong Sauce posted:

Consumer Reports is a Non-Profit Organization that releases a print magazine as well as having an online presence. It also sent Apple the results to help them diagnose the problem. They have deadlines to meet and who knows if Apple would bother responding if they had "waited for comment." Apple certainly didn't respond to anyone else's problems about battery life until this CR article gained traction. So if one puts the "blame" on them for doing their job.... congrats?

And what is with this weird demand that they have to let/should have let Apple respond to the results before publishing?

Yeah man, CR always going for those page views... that they earn $0 for.

CR's only form of revenue for their online website is links to click on to buy the product where they get a commission on that sale.

So CR is releasing a clickbait report so people will go to their website, read how they don't recommend the latest MBP and they're somehow going to _gain_ money from doing that?

Even assuming CR redoes their testing for laptops, it's just going to create a new shitstorm if any future Apple products fail to meet the new testing standards.

Er, CR is a paid subscription magazine/website. It's a non-profit but it's not free.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Ugh, I don't know how I didn't find that.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Speaking of refurbs: 2016 MBPs should be showing up in the next 2 weeks.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

I actually ran into the same bug CR/Apple were talking about, and its not the same as "oh it must be using more resources because it has to contact the server all the time blah blah blah".

I was running a local development server, testing some features in safari with Develop -> Disable Caches enabled. I finished my testing but let Safari stay open in the background while I went and did other things.
The fans started spinning up and I saw the access log from my local development web server. It appears Safari was stuck in an infinite loop trying to load the touch icons for every page I had open. Needless to say this destroyed my battery life/performance. Turning off the "Disable Caches" option immediately fixed it.

So yes this was a legit bug, and not something that should happen even with the Disable Caches option enabled. It was good that CR and Apple worked together to resolve it, and good of CR to re-do the testing. IMO the testing methodology could be better, but if I didn't have much time/money to do battery testing I'd probably do something similar.

It's also weird that they changed the user agent to iPhone to try and collect the shortcut icons for desktop safari but the UA string has been hosed forever so who cares.

Granite Octopus fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 13, 2017

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Pivo posted:

Lol pivo. Never stop pivoing.

Absolutely nothing that I said was disingenuous. I meant every word. If you completely disable caching on a browser, you are in fact breaking it because nobody designs web browsers without caching, and users don't use them that way either.

Would you accept the results of a performance or power test of a CPU which disabled CPU caches? gently caress no you wouldn't. Why are you so determined to defend CR when they deliberately disabled a core Safari subsystem with major potential to impact battery life while conducting battery life testing? Like, holy poo poo man.

Please note: "deliberate" does not mean I think that someone twirled their mustache while plotting how to harm Apple. It means that someone at CR intentionally did a very dumb thing which implies that they don't know how to test this kind of stuff. It has the flavor of a naive junior level employee with a bunch of wrong ideas, not malice.

It's okay to have people like that, everyone has to learn somehow. The reason CR has lost a ton of credibility here is that apparently there was little or no oversight, so they've been publishing thoroughly bogus results for a long time.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

FCKGW posted:

Er, CR is a paid subscription magazine/website. It's a non-profit but it's not free.

Yes. I meant the revenue they generate from any third-party advertisers, not subscriptions since their users wouldn't influence their reviews.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

BobHoward posted:

Lol pivo. Never stop pivoing.

Absolutely nothing that I said was disingenuous. I meant every word. If you completely disable caching on a browser, you are in fact breaking it because nobody designs web browsers without caching, and users don't use them that way either.

Would you accept the results of a performance or power test of a CPU which disabled CPU caches? gently caress no you wouldn't. Why are you so determined to defend CR when they deliberately disabled a core Safari subsystem with major potential to impact battery life while conducting battery life testing? Like, holy poo poo man.

Please note: "deliberate" does not mean I think that someone twirled their mustache while plotting how to harm Apple. It means that someone at CR intentionally did a very dumb thing which implies that they don't know how to test this kind of stuff. It has the flavor of a naive junior level employee with a bunch of wrong ideas, not malice.

It's okay to have people like that, everyone has to learn somehow. The reason CR has lost a ton of credibility here is that apparently there was little or no oversight, so they've been publishing thoroughly bogus results for a long time.

they are testing the battery, not the browser so...

to get consistent testing they have to see how much a page refresh affects the drainage on the battery. they are not testing how efficient the browser is, but how in a theoretical benchmark how many webpages you could view with the given battery. disabling the cache is perfectly fine as long as the test is done across all their tests.

none of these results are bogus. which again confounds me that a bug that apple introduced themselves is somehow indicative of how CR did their testing. Seems no one was opposed to how they tested until Apple decided to introduce a bug into their own browser.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If the only thing they wanted to test was the battery, they’d open the machine up and connect directly to the terminals.

But that’s not really what they want to test.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I unwittingly started the de‐rail with this post, so let me just say:

Bugs are bad. Apple deserves blame, but blame for a minor issue because very few people would have encountered that bug, and when they did it wasn’t the worst thing ever (e.g. data loss or security vulnerability).

Consumer Reports doesn’t deserve blame per se. At most, their testing practices deserve a raised eyebrow and an ”I’ll look elsewhere for laptop battery life tests in the future because such of a test is not the most reflective of my own personal usage.”

Strong Sauce posted:

Phil Schiller says Apple is working with Consumer Reports in wake of MacBook Pro battery issues

https://techcrunch.com/2016/12/23/macbook-battery/

Translation: "We thought we could just ignore the problem because at first it was just the tech youtube community mentioning it. Then people on reddit complained but we still ignored any issues about battery. Finally to hide this from users we just hid the estimated battery life altogether. But now that Consumer Reports, something 'non-tech' people might take advice from and could quite possibly damage our sales, has taken notice we have decided to write a "tweet" (rather than you know a press release that may make it sound like it's a serious issue!) denying what has already been widely reported in the tech community, in the hopes that regular non-tech people will just buy Apple anyways. Also we enjoy writing run-on sentences"

Oh hey it turns out that the issue CR’s was having is completely unrelated to what YouTubers and Redditors were reporting.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Can I get the personal attention of Apple every time I come across some bug in MacOS or iOS because holllly poo poo I'm gonna need a lot of engineers.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Pryor on Fire posted:

Can I get the personal attention of Apple every time I come across some bug in MacOS or iOS because holllly poo poo I'm gonna need a lot of engineers.

Bugreport.apple.com

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.

MrBond posted:

Bugreport.apple.com

They don't actually reply to those right? I mean you fill in an email address but that has to be just for show.

Reported a really weird bug I have with Calendar a while back, I guess I'll see.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

That touchbar looks really cool. Shame about the rest of the MBP.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

I Am Crake posted:

They don't actually reply to those right? I mean you fill in an email address but that has to be just for show.

Reported a really weird bug I have with Calendar a while back, I guess I'll see.

I've had them respond to some of mine. Eventually. Sometimes very eventually (by which I mean years).

When they get around to fixing a bug, usually everyone who reported it gets a semi automated email asking them to test whether the issue was fixed in a new OS release (or beta build, if you're using developer or public beta releases). That email is usually the first thing I ever get as a response to a bug I've filed.

You might also see the bug get fixed, and never get a response. Or you might never see it get fixed at all. Or you might get asked immediately for clarifications, or to try something different, and after a brief flurry of exchanges with some intern it goes back into Schrödinger's Apple bug box where you cannot observe whether any attention is being paid to it. :iiam:

Amphetama
Aug 16, 2008

Third Eye Vision
I'm hoping to have more to add to this thread soon vs. just asking for purchase advice - but I was hoping to get one last educated opinion on the following:

After cooling on the $2000 2.5ghz 512GB w/ AMD GFX 2015 MBP posting I found on Craigslist, I started looking for something with Apple Care on eBay.

Last night I found a 'Manufacturer Refurbished' listing with the exact same specs and managed to snag it for less than 1600, I haven't sent payment quite yet, though. The condition looks perfect but the description other than the condition was lacking - I inquired about whether or not "Manufacturer Refurbished" was an accurate description for the posting and they said "Absolutely! It's basically new. It was used for 5 months and then refurbished by Apple", this weirded me out and tipped me off that they proooooobably don't know what a refurb actually is.

They didn't include the Battery Cycles or Serial in the original listing when I won it, but I was hoping it was an actual refurb. They got back to me about this and the cycle count is at 113. They also clarified that when they said 'refurbished' they seem to be referring to having had the RAM just replaced by Apple. However, they sent me the serial and it's apparently not even covered by the original 1-year warranty - which makes me question their "used it for 5 months and then had it 'refurbished' (repaired). Did it just sit for 6 months doing nothing? I know that isn't good for the battery either.

They also now hilariously are asking for 20 more dollars when I send payment because they had to ruin their shipping box in order to get me battery cycles, or some asinine poo poo like that (after they posted the wrong description). Seeing that this morning made me laugh and honestly almost made me cancel the purchase outright. But hey, this seems like it could still be a good deal, even if they're an idiot? Oh, also - this is the first thing they've sold on eBay it looks like - they have like 5 points of buying feedback that they've earned over 7 years or something. I'm not really sure how much that matters but it definitely explains the posting.

SO: similar situation to the Craigslist posting I asked about a few pages back, I guess: nice machine, no warranty. This time it's over 400 dollars cheaper, though.

Would you guys still feel good about it, if you were in my position? The price seems RIGHT but I'm worried that I'm missing all these warning signs due to new-machine-tunnel-vision. Is there a price where buying sans-warranty becomes acceptable?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

It's probably fine, but I'm leery on buying such an expensive used machine sight unseen, for those reasons you posted. And I'm sure the "used 5 months and then refurbished" line is bullshit. You also can't replace the RAM on that machine, it's the whole motherboard or nothing.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Nah, sounds sketch, you've got more than enough reason to cancel your bid and say whatever that it's not as described. Maybe they got some issue fixed with Apple but naaaah with Apple and people who trade Apple products, 'refurb' means something quite specific and 'used but had issues that were fixed' is something else entirely. All laptops have a 1 year warranty though so I don't know about "doesn't even have a 1 year warranty" but the serial would be tied to purchase date, so maybe it was purchased >1yr ago but it was 'used' for <12mo by the seller.

Regardless, sounds sketchy. I mean, you could roll the dice, but I wouldn't. Battery isn't bad tho, 113 cycles is fine, if it's over a year old it's been kept plugged in most of the time. And lithium batteries sitting around for a while doesn't hurt them much either. It's better if they're only about half charged while sitting around, but it's not the end of the world, on the time scale these devices are used for. Just watch out for a crazy cycle count.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Don't do it!!!

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 16, 2017

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Amphetama posted:

I'm hoping to have more to add to this thread soon vs. just asking for purchase advice - but I was hoping to get one last educated opinion on the following:

After cooling on the $2000 2.5ghz 512GB w/ AMD GFX 2015 MBP posting I found on Craigslist, I started looking for something with Apple Care on eBay.

Last night I found a 'Manufacturer Refurbished' listing with the exact same specs and managed to snag it for less than 1600, I haven't sent payment quite yet, though. The condition looks perfect but the description other than the condition was lacking - I inquired about whether or not "Manufacturer Refurbished" was an accurate description for the posting and they said "Absolutely! It's basically new. It was used for 5 months and then refurbished by Apple", this weirded me out and tipped me off that they proooooobably don't know what a refurb actually is.

They didn't include the Battery Cycles or Serial in the original listing when I won it, but I was hoping it was an actual refurb. They got back to me about this and the cycle count is at 113. They also clarified that when they said 'refurbished' they seem to be referring to having had the RAM just replaced by Apple. However, they sent me the serial and it's apparently not even covered by the original 1-year warranty - which makes me question their "used it for 5 months and then had it 'refurbished' (repaired). Did it just sit for 6 months doing nothing? I know that isn't good for the battery either.

They also now hilariously are asking for 20 more dollars when I send payment because they had to ruin their shipping box in order to get me battery cycles, or some asinine poo poo like that (after they posted the wrong description). Seeing that this morning made me laugh and honestly almost made me cancel the purchase outright. But hey, this seems like it could still be a good deal, even if they're an idiot? Oh, also - this is the first thing they've sold on eBay it looks like - they have like 5 points of buying feedback that they've earned over 7 years or something. I'm not really sure how much that matters but it definitely explains the posting.

SO: similar situation to the Craigslist posting I asked about a few pages back, I guess: nice machine, no warranty. This time it's over 400 dollars cheaper, though.

Would you guys still feel good about it, if you were in my position? The price seems RIGHT but I'm worried that I'm missing all these warning signs due to new-machine-tunnel-vision. Is there a price where buying sans-warranty becomes acceptable?

To be completely honest, the only 'preowned' Mac I'd consider buying is an official Apple refurb.

This sounds like you'll get burned in some way, and that's not worth it at all- especially if you have to pay to get something fixed.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Most egregious is the fact that the seller doesn't know how to take a screenshot! Sever.

Amphetama
Aug 16, 2008

Third Eye Vision
I cant make this poo poo up

Also, if you're into stereotypes

He sent me this right after I last posted, too: "The refurbish was through apple. The issue was not hardware, it was a software reboot and HD recovery that led to them replacing all the RAM. "

The screenshot above is his response to me thoughtfully explaining in a message why his post didn't match the description, and that half of what he is saying wasn't making any sense (and requesting cancellation).

Thanks for the assistance guys - the search continues. Sounds like I should either buy new or stick to apple refurbs (refurb tracker whoo).

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

This leaves me more confused than any of those other confusing sentences:

some ebay idiot posted:

I RAM is not soldered to the board, it's a loving input.

I really want to know what he *thinks* he's saying.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

flosofl posted:

This leaves me more confused than any of those other confusing sentences:

I really want to know what he *thinks* he's saying.

i think he was trying to tell him that he was in fact selling him an 2012 MBP with replaceable RAM

Amphetama
Aug 16, 2008

Third Eye Vision
It's worth mentioning as well that I didn't ever use the word "actually" in my last message to him either. "I work in tech so small...." What?

It's re-posted as "Seller refurbished" now. :grin:

Amphetama fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jan 16, 2017

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

For Mac minis, is there any particular arrangement that I should install an SSD and a HDD, whether for heat or anything else? It's a 2011 so I won't be doing a Fusion drive.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I work in tech so small it's just me in my underwear inputting I RAM into the markbooks

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
p-p-p-p-powerbook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I bought a keyboard on eBay a few weeks ago, from Hong Kong

Wasn't in stock. So it took over a week to get my payment refunded and order canceled. I left them negative feedback for listing poo poo they didn't have in stock and wasting my time.

Then they tried sending me another keyboard that wasn't the right one. Checked their feedback (which I should have done before buying) and it looks like a couple other people experienced the same thing