Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Tevery Best posted:

That's it. I just checked the manual, somehow I must have misread that several times (in my defence, Epidemics have been much more prominently marked out with the "draw from the bottom" part in nice red letters, so that's probably why I missed that).

I knew something had to be wrong, I just kept forgetting to ask. Thanks!

There are a lot of gotchas in the rulebook particularly regarding the legacy rules, I'd suggest you read everything carefully. In particular, my group for a while missed two: you cannot select a positive mutation as an upgrade unless you've eradicated the disease you want to upgrade this game, and the whole team has to start in the same research center provided you have more than one to start at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Can Pandemic Legacy be played as regular Pandemic before adding any legacy elements? That seems like the best way to introduce newbs to the game and also to find out if someone in your group doesn't like it enough to stick around for the whole campaign.

BrainBot
Aug 18, 2012

CaptainRightful posted:

Can Pandemic Legacy be played as regular Pandemic before adding any legacy elements? That seems like the best way to introduce newbs to the game and also to find out if someone in your group doesn't like it enough to stick around for the whole campaign.

It can. We did a few practice games before starting our campaign.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

CaptainRightful posted:

Mind thatmore than one person who has a neutral to moderately negative view of Pandemic loves the everloving poo poo out of Pandemic Legacy.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

CommonShore posted:

Mind thatmore than one person who has a neutral to moderately negative view of Pandemic loves the everloving poo poo out of Pandemic Legacy.

Count me as one of those people. Pandemic is "ok." I would never choose it out of a stack of games to play. I'd much rather play Forbidden Desert. (I'd MUCH rather play Space Alert) Pandemic Legacy is pretty awesome.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 13, 2017

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Elysium posted:

Count me as one of those people. Pandemic is "ok." I would never choose it out of a stack of games to play. I'd much rather play Forbidden Desert. Pandemic Legacy is pretty awesome.

Yeah. I know a couple. She loves Pandemic and owns every expansion; he hates it. He has played through two copies of Legacy, having kept it secret for some time hat he was playing a copy without her at a friend's house before they had started their own box. He still refuses to play regular Pandemic with her.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Elysium posted:

Count me as one of those people. Pandemic is "ok." I would never choose it out of a stack of games to play. I'd much rather play Forbidden Desert. (I'd MUCH rather play Space Alert) Pandemic Legacy is pretty awesome.

This is my view, though I like Forbidden Desert about as much as Pandemic. (Space alert is the best)

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 13, 2017

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Pandemic: Iberia is a really fresh take on the game. It has a lot of interesting decisions that don't exist in regular Pandemic, and my wife and I find it much more difficult.

Still not as fun as Space Alert.

TheNakedJimbo
Nov 18, 2004

If you die first, I am definitely going to eat you. The question is, if I die first...what are YOU gonna do?
Another teacher chiming in. My brother is the one who got me into board games; he's an English teacher who started an after-school board game club at his school. Since I supervise my school's after-care program two days a week, I decided to take a page from his book and introduce my kids to gaming. Yesterday I taught Love Letter (Hobbit Edition) to two sixth-graders and a fourth-grader, and they picked it up quicker than most of the adults I've played with. When I had to get up to do teachery things, they recruited another sixth-grader and taught the game to him, and he proceeded to wreck them in his first game. This morning I taught it to two more kids, and four of them played together before the school day started.

I've also shown a few of them Pairs, and I'm planning on taking a swing at Sushi Go next Monday (unless they want to keep playing Love Letter, in which case I'll let them play a few more weeks).

What are some other games you think would go over well with a group of fourth- through seventh-graders? I think Love Letter is about the right level of complexity, and I'm mainly looking for games that play in fifteen to twenty minutes so they can squeeze in a round before school.

Chomp8645 posted:

Basically anytime someone reports "several first timers played a coop and kept winning easily" you can basically guarantee they got some rule(s) wrong.

This was my wife and me the first time we played Forbidden Island. Our first round we got destroyed, because we didn't understand the concept of shoring up (as in, I forgot you could do it, so the island just shattered around us). On our second round we won with zero effort, because we didn't understand the concept of shoring up (after reading the sandbag card I mistakenly thought anybody could shore up any tile they wanted, even from across the island). On our third round we finally got it right.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

TheNakedJimbo posted:

What are some other games you think would go over well with a group of fourth- through seventh-graders? I think Love Letter is about the right level of complexity, and I'm mainly looking for games that play in fifteen to twenty minutes so they can squeeze in a round before school.

My nieces are that age and they love One Night Ultimate Werewolf. They also really like A Fake Artist Goes To New York, Sushi Go Party, and Dixit.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
My games store had a copy of dungeon lords anniversary in and it was cheaper than dungeon lords + festival season sold separately, so I made an impulse purchase. I've only played the base game previously, is festival season worth including from the getgo when teaching new people or does it add a lot of overhead?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Ayn Randi posted:

My games store had a copy of dungeon lords anniversary in and it was cheaper than dungeon lords + festival season sold separately, so I made an impulse purchase. I've only played the base game previously, is festival season worth including from the getgo when teaching new people or does it add a lot of overhead?

Adds enough that I'd suggest going with the base game with newbies. Besides, base game is absolutely fantastic.

...only play with 4.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I'm not too picky about this stuff usually, but do you think we could port over the pandemic legacy stuff into the quarantine thread? I like to go in blind, even for strategy stuff

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I'm not too picky about this stuff usually, but do you think we could port over the pandemic legacy stuff into the quarantine thread? I like to go in blind, even for strategy stuff

There has not been a single post about strategy or content. Literally zero. If anything "rules people hosed up" and "can we test game before committing" are like the two things that you would benefit from reading.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Ok, knock yourselves out. I immediately avert my eyes any time someone talks about it because this thread spoiled me on an aspect of it a year ago in a similar string of discussions, so I wasn't playing close attention. The quarantine zone is probably nto a great fit for rules questions either, since there are probably spoilers all over.

Really, I also have myself to blame for not just hammering the thing out with a group.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Question - does any Euro-style game include a traitor mechanic?

My friend was just fantasizing about a POW board game about resource management in which conditions sometimes force players to decide between betraying or staying loyal to teammates.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

CommonShore posted:

Question - does any Euro-style game include a traitor mechanic?

My friend was just fantasizing about a POW board game about resource management in which conditions sometimes force players to decide between betraying or staying loyal to teammates or betraying them.

Archipelago, my dude. Awesome and pretty novel game still, I think. Caveats are that it's a little complicated going in and has some potential for implosion due to the group, like all political games

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Archipelago, my dude. Awesome and pretty novel game still, I think. Caveats are that it's a little complicated going in and has some potential for implosion due to the group, like all political games

While we have you here, about how long is a Short game of Archipelago for 4? Would you recommend a Short game to learn with?

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

The Narrator posted:

While we have you here, about how long is a Short game of Archipelago for 4? Would you recommend a Short game to learn with?

Short game is pretty much purely for learning, I imagine for a new group it would run 1 - 2 hours. Once you get yourselves acquainted with the rules, you should go straight to medium/long games for the real stuff.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer

silvergoose posted:

Adds enough that I'd suggest going with the base game with newbies. Besides, base game is absolutely fantastic.

...only play with 4.

Yeah, I usually don't have exactly 4 :( . My partner and i use the dummy players in dungeon petz and that's pretty fine so we'll give it a go anyway

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Ayn Randi posted:

Yeah, I usually don't have exactly 4 :( . My partner and i use the dummy players in dungeon petz and that's pretty fine so we'll give it a go anyway

Fair warning, the Petz automation rules are much, much cleaner and much less disruptive than the automated players in Lords.

I play Petz with 2 or 3 all the time with no regrets. With 2-3 player Lords, you're just kinda sad at the game you're not really getting to play.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

taser rates posted:

Short game is pretty much purely for learning, I imagine for a new group it would run 1 - 2 hours. Once you get yourselves acquainted with the rules, you should go straight to medium/long games for the real stuff.

Yeah, I figured the real meat would be in a long/medium. Thanks!

A new barcade opened up in town, and they have a host of board games, including Archipelago (which has always been one of my most-wanteds). Only problem is that there's only a good 5 or so large tables (as in, large enough for a group to play a full-sized game), and other small three-person tables with stools, but they didn't really think enough to get a shitload of small games - they had Love Letter and The Resistance at least, but I didn't see stuff like Coup, Skull, etc., which you think would be perfect candidates for a bar atmosphere. Might shoot them a suggestion. At least now I know how much time to put aside if I wind up going with a group, being able to get one of the big tables, and wanting to dive in.

Played Machi Koro for the first time on one of the stool-tables, which was pretty cramped. Very light. It was enjoyable to hurl around some dice and build a basic dice-rolling machine and felt like it didn't drag on, but I can't say I'd really buy it for myself instead of some other game.

edit: vvv cheers!

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 13, 2017

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

The Narrator posted:

Agreed with taser rates: I'd play a short game with a group that I know was interested in playing the medium game eventually. The group I get to play heavier games like this is also pretty slow, so I'm not an accurate judge for that type of thing. But I think the short took us 2 hours or so iirc while figuring it ouit, like taser rates mentioned.

One piece of advice, IMO there is a good deal of overhead in this game and I found the rules a little hard to internalize initially, so if you are the one teaching the game, I think it probably pays off to go ham and print references for the players, set the game up to practice a bit by yourself first, etc -- the works.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I've got an Amazon gift card and very little money otherwise. I want to try Pandemic. Should I buy Iberia, or original? I may buy Legacy someday in addition to whichever of these I pick, but I don't think I'll ever get both of these. Any suggestions?

e: I'll be playing either one player or three the majority of the time.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I just placed a sweet rear end order

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

CaptainRightful posted:

yes it can but please don't

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

There is a Pandemic app if you are on the brink and want to see if you like it (also it features the On the Brink expansion 🤗)

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

corn in the bible posted:

yes it can but please don't

Eh it's not a terrible idea to play a learning game if you are new to pandemic so you can get the rules down and avoid 'we got to month three and only just realized we are playing the entire game wrong'

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

The rulebook even recommends playing a normal game of Pandemic before beginning with Legacy stuff enabled if you have newbies.

Keyword bring A normal game, just the one because you really shouldn't need more than that before everybody is on the same page and wants to get into opening the boxes and such.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Mysterium's just released on ios.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I just received the Heroes of the Bible expansion for Mare Nostrum and I'm laughing like a drain. Jesus provides two Trade and two Culture, but he switches off the financial benefits of Temples both in your own cities and those in territories adjacent to yours. If ever you wanted a way to back scuttle someone trying a cash buy rush...

Moral: don't gently caress with Jesus, because he's well hard.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Jedit posted:

I just received the Heroes of the Bible expansion for Mare Nostrum and I'm laughing like a drain. Jesus provides two Trade and two Culture, but he switches off the financial benefits of Temples both in your own cities and those in territories adjacent to yours. If ever you wanted a way to back scuttle someone trying a cash buy rush...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXRsNn7HP28&t=20s

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Jedit posted:

I have zero knowledge of the game, but would be interested in hearing more examples, specially Old Testament. This sounds metal as gently caress :allears:

Fake Edit: ¿What happens if Jesus loses a game?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fat Samurai posted:

When Jesus loses a game its because he wanted to

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

Everyone gets a redemption token, Jesus' player waits a while and respawns. Duh.
The problem is that rules are slightly unclear on how many turns he should wait before respawning.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Pierzak posted:

Everyone gets a redemption token, Jesus' player waits a while and respawns. Duh.
The problem is that rules are slightly unclear on how many turns he should wait before respawning.

He respawns at the start of the third turn.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Playing through the big Mansions of Madness 2nd scenario solo last night, I think I had a moment that sold me on whatever they print for this game. This isn't at all a plot or story spoiler, but it is a mechanical one so I'll hide it just in case.

The big scenario is split into multiple days/locations, and heading into the final location the game sent both of my characters into insanity. One character had picked up a puzzle leaving the previous area and the other I'd been wandering around with. So prolonging the supposedly secret info as long as I could, I decided not to look at the insanity effects until the characters' actual turns.

Heading into the new round, my first character flipped over a mostly benign insanity effect, used both of her actions to finish up the puzzle, and revealed a very important piece of information toward solving the scenario. My second character flipped over her insanity effect and it was basically, "The old gods call out to you for a blood sacrifice. If you begin your turn in a space with another investigator and are holding a bladed weapon you make the sacrifice and win the game. This exact setup after the two had been immediately splitting up to cover ground every other round. It was the only turn the entire game the two were in the same space (beyond the very first).

So my first investigator essentially laid out this complicated torn-up diary page on the ground and finally pieces the mystery together ... just in time to get run through from behind by her newly insane partner. I could imagine it being a pretty unsatisfying way to end a 3 hour game with a bunch of people, but in a solo game it was a pretty great little turn that reminded me why deep down I am going to choose good theme over good mechanics every single time.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Not quoting, but I'm only talking about the concept of theme over mechanics.

Now there's a thought. What if all games that people love because of the theme/story over mechanics (Betrayal, every zombie game in existence, I dunno Cosmic, etc) should actually be played solo? Like, would all of them suddenly turn into mildly playable games because really, you're just playing to see what happens, not competing to win with other players?

Oh god is this how wargamers start playing every game solo :gonk: (I know it's because there's no one to play with)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Fat Samurai posted:

I have zero knowledge of the game, but would be interested in hearing more examples, specially Old Testament. This sounds metal as gently caress :allears:

There aren't many more examples. Mare Nostrum: Empires is an Ancient Era "Civ in under 4 hours" game. One of the things you can do is buy Heroes and Wonders that bolster you on the three development tracks and provide special abilities. Heroes of the Bible is a mini-expansion that adds five new Heroes based on biblical characters. Of the other four, Daniel lets you force a player to make a specific resource available to trade; David makes your armies stronger and your opponent's weaker in any land battle where you're outnumbered; John the Baptist outright removes an enemy army that is on or within your borders; and Joshua (predictably) negates the defensive ability of Fortresses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

silvergoose posted:

Not quoting, but I'm only talking about the concept of theme over mechanics.

Now there's a thought. What if all games that people love because of the theme/story over mechanics (Betrayal, every zombie game in existence, I dunno Cosmic, etc) should actually be played solo? Like, would all of them suddenly turn into mildly playable games because really, you're just playing to see what happens, not competing to win with other players?

Oh god is this how wargamers start playing every game solo :gonk: (I know it's because there's no one to play with)

I had a good time playing Arkham Horror solo for a while when it was all new to me basically for the reasons described (including no one to play with). It was fun when it was thematic, but I stopped when I caught myself just skipping to the bottom of the card for the effect.