Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Not to turn this into election chat, but the idea of winning converts seems really dumb when the problem was millions of Obama voters staying home.

E: VVV Totally fair, I will squash this before it begins.

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jan 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

WampaLord posted:

Not to turn this into election chat, but the idea of winning converts seems really dumb when the problem was millions of Obama voters staying home.

There were a lot of problems but I have no interest in rehashing them here honestly.

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jan 13, 2017

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

WampaLord posted:

E: VVV Totally fair, I will squash this before it begins.

I had a rant here about how you can't blame people for being suppressed but in deference to your edit it's been shortened to just this unless you want to PM about it.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

blackguy32 posted:

My post wasn't about forums drama, but rather this notion that has popped back up in the age of Trump that if only people were nicer, then we can win converts to our side. I can be nice, but the kind of ally you want is one that does it of their own will, not one that needs to be coaxed and convinced little by little.

That sort of stuff is the usual argument of centrist liberals who aren't actually effected by these issues. I might be wrong but I think history shows that violence is the only way to defeat racists/sexists etc. (as well as being a justified response) and being "kind" to them just let them stamp on you even more.

Fados
Jan 7, 2013
I like Malcolm X, I can't be racist!

Put this racist dipshit on ignore immediately!

Eej posted:

People get pissy that they got called on for something they believe they should have gotten away with as opposed to getting owned for something they know is going to land them in trouble.

This is very true. It's funny, because the reason that it hurts is that even tho someone might be semi trolling, or even standing halfheartedly behind some post, playing devils advocate, being probated for saying it makes them realize that they might actually believe the thing.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

blackguy32 posted:

My post wasn't about forums drama, but rather this notion that has popped back up in the age of Trump that if only people were nicer, then we can win converts to our side. I can be nice, but the kind of ally you want is one that does it of their own will, not one that needs to be coaxed and convinced little by little.

Because apparently the worst thing you can do to someone is make them feel guilty about casual racism or any other issue. Though really it's more because people have serious trouble understanding things as a broad spectrum and thus tend to think on a more interpersonal level (Also why really big numbers have less of an impact than smaller ones).

It's part of why people tend to think of themselves as being immune to propaganda because they're "Too Smart For It".

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Praseodymi posted:

That sort of stuff is the usual argument of centrist liberals who aren't actually effected by these issues. I might be wrong but I think history shows that violence is the only way to defeat racists/sexists etc. (as well as being a justified response) and being "kind" to them just let them stamp on you even more.

My man this is significant and crass revision of the polite discussion on Cable Street.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

My man this is significant and crass revision of the polite discussion on Cable Street.
https://twitter.com/UKIPBIackpool/status/736326726670749696
I also just found this article about the decorated first black London Met officer being stopped by the police while on a walk.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Taerkar posted:

Because apparently the worst thing you can do to someone is make them feel guilty about casual racism or any other issue.

I think part of the problem is that, discounting people who are racist and actually proud of it for the moment, there's been a lot of work done on making people realize that it's bad to be racist, and I think to a certain degree, people have really internalized that message. The problem is that there hasn't been equal effectiveness in actually explaining what racism is and how it works, at least on a societal level, so you end up with a lot of people who probably genuinely do believe it's very bad to be racist, but are unaware of the ways in which they have been and continue to be racist and reinforce white supremacy. Because of this, when you point out that they're doing something racist, it upsets them a great deal precisely because they've internalized the message that racism is bad and they don't want to confront the unpleasant truth that they've been doing bad things.

Getting people to be introspective enough to analyze and confront their own flaws is going to be a difficult problem, but going forward I think one way to address this in the next generation is to spend more time educating people, preferably while they're still quite young, on the actual processes of racism and white supremacy, instead of repeating the "racism is bad, m'kay" message and acting like that's the goal instead of the starting point.

EDIT: Sadly, I don't see a lot of hope for people that are just going to get angry and shut down when they're confronted with their own racism, but I'm quite sure that not addressing it is not a solution, so the best bet is probably to confront people and hope that some of them listen. I'd also suggest that "winning converts" away from racism probably has more significant implications on people of colour than simple electoral success, which is why this debate really shouldn't be framed in terms of "why Hillary lost and how we can fix that."

PT6A fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jan 13, 2017

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

A question for the residents of Negrotown. I was browsing through my news feed this morning and I saw something about some episode of some British show that's being pulled from the air after a bunch of people got their panties in a twist over a white actor being cast to portray Michael Jackson. And it got me wondering, why is this something worth people flipping their poo poo over while Hamilton is praised as good and cool for the exact same reason?

For disclosure, I live and work in a nice white bubble where this poo poo doesn't affect me in the least, and I don't really have any strong feelings about it, just curious at the apparent hypocrisy.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

ReidRansom posted:

A question for the residents of Negrotown. I was browsing through my news feed this morning and I saw something about some episode of some British show that's being pulled from the air after a bunch of people got their panties in a twist over a white actor being cast to portray Michael Jackson. And it got me wondering, why is this something worth people flipping their poo poo over while Hamilton is praised as good and cool for the exact same reason?

I admit I haven't seen Hamilton but unless MJ cameos as a founding father I think you might need to clarify what 'same reason' means?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Tesseraction posted:

I admit I haven't seen Hamilton but unless MJ cameos as a founding father I think you might need to clarify what 'same reason' means?

Racially subversive casting.

e: or maybe just race-blind. Whichever.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

ReidRansom posted:

For disclosure, I live and work in a nice white bubble where this poo poo doesn't affect me in the least, and I don't really have any strong feelings about it, just curious at the apparent hypocrisy.

Because white people have a history of playing black characters leading to their erasure, but the opposite is completely unacceptable to fragile white people's feelings. In addition to this, Michael Jackson's family specifically said it upset them.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Whitewashing is bad. Whites portraying black people goes all the way back to blackface and minstrel shows.

Then you have white people Emma Stone playing poc, in a role that could've easily went to a poc actor.

Michael Jackson should be played by a black actor. He was black. Believe or not, he was proud to be black. This is a man who had several music videos dedicated to it. On top that, growing up he was constantly belittled by his abusive father about being ugly, and having a "big negro nose". There's honestly so many layers of wrong.

If you want to jump in and claim, "well he bleached his skin, because vitiligo.." You can use a black actor to portray Michael during that time. And they have.

This was the man who made "They Don't Care About Us" and a stunning video full of black people, as King and Queens in Africa. This is a man with a music video where he literally morphs into a black panther at the end.

Also I'm posting this because it's good and awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeiFF0gvqcc

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
It really depends which stage of Michael jackson's life he's portraying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-SV8YL4Fmg

JFairfax fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jan 13, 2017

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

JFairfax posted:

It really depends which stage of Michael jackson's life he's portraying

Koalas March posted:

If you want to jump in and claim, "well he bleached his skin, because vitiligo.." You can use a black actor to portray Michael during that time. And they have.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2017/01/13/urban-myths-episode-joseph-fiennes-michael-jackson-canceled/96530596/

All you need to know about why the casting decision was a dumb one.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Koalas March posted:

Whitewashing is bad. Whites portraying black people goes all the way back to blackface and minstrel shows.

Then you have white people Emma Stone playing poc, in a role that could've easily went to a poc actor.

Michael Jackson should be played by a black actor. He was black. Believe or not, he was proud to be black. This is a man who had several music videos dedicated to it. On top that, growing up he was constantly belittled by his abusive father about being ugly, and having a "big negro nose". There's honestly so many layers of wrong.

This was the man who made "They Don't Care About Us" and a stunning video full of black people, as King and Queens in Africa. This is a man with a music video where he literally morphs into a black panther at the end.

Heck I'm about as white a motherfucker as you're likely to see, but even I grok why the two situations (Hamilton and MJ) are completely, utterly asymmetric.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

If I didn't know this story I don't think I could even guess who that's supposed to be.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

gently caress he looks like Gary Oldman's character from Hannibal

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It also means they don't know poo poo about Jackson, they're making a movie about the Jackson caricature popularized in the last, what, 10 years of his life?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

mdemone posted:

Heck I'm about as white a motherfucker as you're likely to see, but even I grok why the two situations (Hamilton and MJ) are completely, utterly asymmetric.
I have very strong NASCAR opinions and agree that casting a white dude as MJ is weird. British TV in general seems pretty bad on race stuff.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

mdemone posted:

gently caress he looks like Gary Oldman's character from Hannibal

A Francis Dolarhyde resurrection, maybe? Because he played the serial killer in Red Dragon?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

blackguy32 posted:

I disagree. Black characters have their own set of experiences and backgrounds that make them different and it should flow from the story set out. To get kind of nerdy here, think of how Benjamin Sisko's background as a black man, paints his relationship with the Bajorans.

Leslie Odem Jr. made this point in one of those actors roundtables that pop up this time of year, that we don't just need black actors, but black stories as well. Colorblind casting gets you diversity in characters, but not diversity in stories or perspective which are also important.

http://siz.io/hamiltons-leslie-odom-jr-talks-diversity-on-broadway/?src=tum

Link if anyone wants to watch it.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

It also means they don't know poo poo about Jackson, they're making a movie about the Jackson caricature popularized in the last, what, 10 years of his life?

It's apparently an urban myth about him after 9/11 - blackguy32's link here has the full story:

Of note:

quote:

In a 1993 TV interview with Oprah Winfrey, the singer, who died in 2009, once shared his feelings about potentially being played by a white actor after stories circulated that a Caucasian child would play him in a Pepsi commercial.

"That's the most ridiculous, horrifying story I've ever heard," he responded. "It's crazy. Why would I want a white child to play me? I'm a black American. I am proud to be a black American. I am proud of my race. I am proud of who I am.”

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

PT6A posted:

I think part of the problem is that, discounting people who are racist and actually proud of it for the moment, there's been a lot of work done on making people realize that it's bad to be racist, and I think to a certain degree, people have really internalized that message. The problem is that there hasn't been equal effectiveness in actually explaining what racism is and how it works, at least on a societal level, so you end up with a lot of people who probably genuinely do believe it's very bad to be racist, but are unaware of the ways in which they have been and continue to be racist and reinforce white supremacy. Because of this, when you point out that they're doing something racist, it upsets them a great deal precisely because they've internalized the message that racism is bad and they don't want to confront the unpleasant truth that they've been doing bad things.

Getting people to be introspective enough to analyze and confront their own flaws is going to be a difficult problem, but going forward I think one way to address this in the next generation is to spend more time educating people, preferably while they're still quite young, on the actual processes of racism and white supremacy, instead of repeating the "racism is bad, m'kay" message and acting like that's the goal instead of the starting point.

EDIT: Sadly, I don't see a lot of hope for people that are just going to get angry and shut down when they're confronted with their own racism, but I'm quite sure that not addressing it is not a solution, so the best bet is probably to confront people and hope that some of them listen. I'd also suggest that "winning converts" away from racism probably has more significant implications on people of colour than simple electoral success, which is why this debate really shouldn't be framed in terms of "why Hillary lost and how we can fix that."

Koalas March has pointed out that Colin Kaepernick took a completely silent form of protest against racism, and look how that has been twisted. It wasn't him being mean or rude to anyone. But it was a great opportunity for people to look up information about racism in the country today, and look how people handled it. The education is out there. I don't know how many times you can inform people about incarceration rates or segregation or redlining just for them to gaslight you without you going insane.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

Koalas March has pointed out that Colin Kaepernick took a completely silent form of protest against racism, and look how that has been twisted. It wasn't him being mean or rude to anyone. But it was a great opportunity for people to look up information about racism in the country today, and look how people handled it. The education is out there. I don't know how many times you can inform people about incarceration rates or segregation or redlining just for them to gaslight you without you going insane.

I mentioned it in the Cultural War thread and no matter how well you reach someone in any one situation it's all worthless if they go home and watch Fox News (to get the obvious out of the way) or CNN ("Are Jews human?") or MSNBC (good evening this is your new anchor Megyn "Don't worry kids, Santa is definitely white" Kelly)

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

Yep, and then you have people increasingly repeating racist talking points and doubling down, so eventually you reach a point where you emotionally and mentally can not stay calm or pleasant because you're realizing more and more that this person does not care about your oppression or your humanity and you understandably get heated because you are a human being they act like you've committed a hate crime for not being their friendly negro door mat.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Tesseraction posted:

It's apparently an urban myth about him after 9/11 - blackguy32's link here has the full story:

Of note:

Yeah. The show is an intentionally irreverent show, but at least the creators of the show and the actor involved agreed to not run the show after Michael's family objected to it.

Certain other "comedy" shows would have said "gently caress you" and ran it anyway.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Yeah. The show is an intentionally irreverent show, but at least the creators of the show and the actor involved agreed to not run the show after Michael's family objected to it.

Certain other "comedy" shows would have said "gently caress you" and ran it anyway.

Yeah. It's a shame as well because a) it could've been funny and b) Britain's comedy scene does have a diversity problem and it'd be nice to have seen a black comedian (or actor) play the role.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I spoke to the other whites, and we've put together a list of acceptable black protests:

Shucking and jiving
Saying "Oh lawd!" [Note: we're still debating "Nuh-uh!"]
Baking a pie, then sharing it with your white neighbors
Raps without swears in
Apologetic silence
Sighing in private
Friendly smiles at half-mast
Sitting in the middle of the bus
Madea Goes To Washington
Reading that day's "Boondocks," then clipping out the Dilbert next to it and putting that up in your cubicle

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Praseodymi posted:

Because white people have a history of playing black characters leading to their erasure, but the opposite is completely unacceptable to fragile white people's feelings. In addition to this, Michael Jackson's family specifically said it upset them.

Idunno, I feel like either race matters and and should be respected uniformly, or it doesn't and people should just do whatever they want across the board. e: Either one, I don't care which.

Koalas March posted:

Good it may be, but I'm calling this another example. I know it's still a somewhat controversial topic, but ancient Egyptians are generally thought these days to have looked pretty much the same as they do now, not like Eddie Murphy or Magic Johnson. Iman gets a pass.

ReidRansom fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jan 13, 2017

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

ReidRansom posted:

Idunno, I feel like either race matters and and should be respected uniformly, or it doesn't and people should just do whatever they want across the board.

Race matters will be respected uniformly when people of different races are treated uniformly.

Also, that video is like from 1991.

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 13, 2017

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

"I have a dream," stated Martin Luther King Jr. "that we stop all this civil disobedience nonsense and try having polite one-on-one conversations with the people voting against our quality of life. If they're not too busy. It is only thr--" [rest of speech obscured by tear gas]

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

"These days" That video was made almost 2 decades ago. Let it go.

That entire post is an example of black folks not being allowed to have poo poo in some people's eyes.

And idk man Khufu looks pretty black to me.

PantherWill
Feb 23, 2013
Figuring this might be of interest to those of y'all in the Boston area on Valentine's Day:

http://hutchinscenter.fas.harvard.edu/events-lectures/events/february-14-2017-400pm/bobby-seale-conversation-henry-louis-gates-jr

Really wishing I could go to this and hoping they record and upload it.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Koalas March posted:

Yep, and then you have people increasingly repeating racist talking points and doubling down, so eventually you reach a point where you emotionally and mentally can not stay calm or pleasant because you're realizing more and more that this person does not care about your oppression or your humanity and you understandably get heated because you are a human being they act like you've committed a hate crime for not being their friendly negro door mat.

The onus for change is also upon those with the power, not upon those who are still being held back and put at a significant disadvantage by those with the power. Instead right now it's pretty much "You need to do all of the work for us", which is a time honored tradition in this country.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I spoke to the other whites, and we've put together a list of acceptable black protests:

Shucking and jiving
Raps without swears in
Apologetic silence
Sighing in private
Madea Goes To Washington
Reading that day's "Boondocks," then clipping out the Dilbert next to it and putting that up in your cubicle

Nope, there's only one acceptable protest these days: Doing nothing.

Edit: clarity (hopefully)

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Shucking and jiving
Raps without swears in
Apologetic silence
Sighing in private
Madea Goes To Washington

Since I was not a part of that meeting, I'd like to suggest substituting Marmaduke for Dilbert. Please put it up for a vote at the next meeting.

Also all pies should be verboten after the beans were spilled about what really goes into those pies, as shown in the movie The Help.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

there wolf posted:

Leslie Odem Jr. made this point in one of those actors roundtables that pop up this time of year, that we don't just need black actors, but black stories as well. Colorblind casting gets you diversity in characters, but not diversity in stories or perspective which are also important.

http://siz.io/hamiltons-leslie-odom-jr-talks-diversity-on-broadway/?src=tum

Link if anyone wants to watch it.

On that note Moonlight was real good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Koalas March posted:

"These days" That video was made almost 2 decades ago. Let it go.

That entire post is an example of black folks not being allowed to have poo poo in some people's eyes.

And idk man Khufu looks pretty black to me.

it's just tit for tat for saying Jesus ain't white you see

• Locked thread