Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Martytoof posted:

I'm not sure preordering was worth it, but at the same time it's not like Amazon is going to charge me until it's ready to go so I have a month and change to reconsider. If nothing amazing pops up between now and the 3rd I might not buy or I might buy just for Zelda and better games later. I guess we'll see how I feel about it.

Why not wait until the holiday season this year where it's pretty much guaranteed that it's going to get a 50$ price drop and some sort of $299 bundle with whatever good game (probably zelda or mario kart)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Holyshoot posted:

Why are people mad about paying to play online? Those servers aren't free.

People are not mad about paying to play online.

People are wondering how Nintendo can jump on the bandwagon of charging for online multiplayer when they have limited/no experience in designing a fully functional online system complete with easy to add friends, party chat, library menu systems, UI accessibility, etc. And now? It also looks like a "Free" but limited version of the app to do this on a smartphone (Which, honestly, would be kind of cool but nothing we cannot do today with PS Plus on the Sony app today for free) definitely insinuates they are even going to charge for a premium companion app on a mobile device in addition to paying for online multiplayer.

This is a major shitshow.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Pro Controller wasn't available to pre-order at Gamestop, I'm beginning to wonder if it's going to even be available for launch. My store also wasn't doing Master Edition Zelda pre-orders and I got to watch a nerd meltdown over it, completely unwilling to accept these poor employees could not let him pre-order it. Don't worry, he's going to call Gamestop corporate to see if there's anything they can do for him.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Asema posted:

People rant abotu the PS4 offerings because the PS3 offerings were great and it seems that since Sony took control of being #1 they stopped really caring. That's the main complaint but even then it's STILL NOT A RENTAL SERVICE/TRIALS OF 20+ YEAR OLD GAMES

Nintendo looked at the indie retro pixel garbage that those games are and went "Hold my sake"

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Asema posted:

Why not wait until the holiday season this year where it's pretty much guaranteed that it's going to get a 50$ price drop and some sort of $299 bundle with whatever good game (probably zelda or mario kart)

No other reason other than I have more money than common sense.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Pre-ordered my Switch at 4:45 in the morning. I'm so loving stoked

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Guess what you dumbass motherfuckers I ordered a Switch AND I think I will like it!!!

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Imagined posted:

Everything just screams rush job. I just keep thinking why now.

I don't think it screams rush job but it does scream "we're trying to make as much money as possible by nickel and diming you to death" along with relying exclusively on Zelda to push units.

What gets me is that EVERY MAJOR PRESENTATION Nintendo does they showcase a few interesting games and tease you via trailers for games you really want to see and EVERY SINGLE TIME you see people say "Why didn't they show those games in their presentation?!" I don't get that.

What I also don't get is how they have nothing ready for launch outside Zelda and a few easy passes. Including Skyrim at launch would've placated some people at least, getting MK8 Deluxe day one should've been a thing.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

You don't really need to put the joy cons into the controller shell so it's possibly the Wiimote and nunchuck all over again but they both have analog sticks and debatable waggle controls (depending on game)

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Well, despite not being as exciting as I hoped I still pre-ordered mine. I got the blue and red bundle from Target. I'll be excited when it gets here. I hope that 2017 ends up being a good year.

If I get sick of it I can always give it to my niece.

Beastie fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 13, 2017

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Pre-ordered grey version at about 3:20 from Amazon, neon version a few minutes later from Best Buy for store pickup.

Not sure which configuration I'll ultimately stick with, but I'm sure I'll be able to find someone interested in the extra.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Wow gamestop doesn't have the master edition sku in their computer, just the 100 dollar one. Sad!

At least I have a third preorder now :v:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Louisgod posted:

I don't think it screams rush job but it does scream "we're trying to make as much money as possible by nickel and diming you to death" along with relying exclusively on Zelda to push units.

What gets me is that EVERY MAJOR PRESENTATION Nintendo does they showcase a few interesting games and tease you via trailers for games you really want to see and EVERY SINGLE TIME you see people say "Why didn't they show those games in their presentation?!" I don't get that.

What I also don't get is how they have nothing ready for launch outside Zelda and a few easy passes. Including Skyrim at launch would've placated some people at least, getting MK8 Deluxe day one should've been a thing.

I woke up today thinking, man I should wait til next holidays for games to exist. Then I remembered Zelda. drat Zelda looked fun.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Kashuno posted:

Guess what you dumbass motherfuckers I ordered a Switch AND I think I will like it!!!

Did you also enjoy Kingdom of the Crystal Skull?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

Is the online service required to play multiplayer online? The verbage sounds like tis for the social media side.

It's probably required to play multiplayer online, yes. I guess they figure "Sony and Microsoft get away with it, so can we! :v:"

Here's hoping they actually have a real, functional online service by the time they start charging for it or poo poo will definitely get ugly. (And yes, I realize that'd be a first for Nintendo, so, well, let's not hold our breaths.)

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can't wait to play zelda on my wii u and then never touch it again unless I get that mario maker itch.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Holyshoot posted:

They didn't have a problem offering it for free on Wii U. Unless they plan to have more and better offerings then Wii U, what are we paying for?

Also, regarding the monthly game download:

quote:

Subscribers will get to download and play a Nintendo Entertainment System™ (NES) or Super Nintendo Entertainment System™ (Super NES) game (with newly-added online play) for free for a month.

Are we sure the wording doesn't just mean you have a month to get it for free, rather then you only get it for a month?

Although I have to say adding online play for old SNES games is kinda cool, depending on what sort of pricing they have.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Utnayan posted:

People are not mad about paying to play online.

People are wondering how Nintendo can jump on the bandwagon of charging for online multiplayer when they have limited/no experience in designing a fully functional online system complete with easy to add friends, party chat, library menu systems, UI accessibility, etc. And now? It also looks like a "Free" but limited version of the app to do this on a smartphone (Which, honestly, would be kind of cool but nothing we cannot do today with PS Plus on the Sony app today for free) definitely insinuates they are even going to charge for a premium companion app on a mobile device in addition to paying for online multiplayer.

This is a major shitshow.

I feel like that is because they try to make their online ability super kid friendly which just hinders it more then helps it.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

deadwing posted:

Wow gamestop doesn't have the master edition sku in their computer, just the 100 dollar one. Sad!

At least I have a third preorder now :v:

they do online.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Louisgod posted:

If they are relying on Zelda to push units then why the hell are they releasing the WiiU version on the same day?

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

I'm gonna do what I did for the DS. Walk in the store and pick one up day one. At least this one will have 2 games at launch I'll play.

TaurusOxford posted:

If they are relying on Zelda to push units then why the hell are they releasing the WiiU version on the same day?
They did promise that the WiiU version was coming out. And who honestly has a WiiU?

Rudoku fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 13, 2017

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
I can't wait to spend most of 2017's gaming time in Bomberman while assholes say "The Switch has no games." Bomberman!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Teikanmi posted:

Did you also enjoy Kingdom of the Crystal Skull?

Nope and I'm glad someone bought me the Wii U as a gift because I probably would've never bought one otherwise

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bombadilillo posted:

Is the online service required to play multiplayer online? The verbage sounds like tis for the social media side.

http://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/

Look at the chart where it says "Online Gameplay" and under Non subscribers it says "Free trial through fall 2017"

quote:

After the free-trial period, most games will require a paid online service subscription from Nintendo in order to play online.

This service is only for Nintendo Switch. It does not affect Wii U or Nintendo 3DS systems or online play.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I thought the Switch presentation seemed good. While it would be nice if more titles were available at launch, there are enough titles at or near launch that I'd like to have immediately, so I preordered. Obviously not everyone is going to feel the same way about the initial library and that's fine, but that doesn't make people who want to have one right off the bat idiots.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I don't think I have time to play more than 1 game a quarter anyway, so Zelda, Splat, and Mario will get me through the year. Thanks, Nintendo.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
It's Nintendo's Turn, demographics, WiiUBros get out.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Nephzinho posted:

I don't think I have time to play more than 1 game a quarter anyway, so Zelda, Splat, and Mario will get me through the year. Thanks, Nintendo.

A true console for casuals

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Between my PC and Switch what games would I miss?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

TaurusOxford posted:

Because they promised WiiU people "Please buy our system, it'll have a Zelda!".

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

TaurusOxford posted:

Because they first announced it for the WiiU and can't go back on that promise, clearly. If they did then fans would freak the gently caress out.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Oxyclean posted:

Also, regarding the monthly game download:

Are we sure the wording doesn't just mean you have a month to get it for free, rather then you only get it for a month?

Although I have to say adding online play for old SNES games is kinda cool, depending on what sort of pricing they have.

I get the impression that, like PS+ and XBL, you have a month to claim it for free... but who knows with this kooky company.

The games had better be classics or else this is going to sour quick.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

every post thats like THE PS4 HAD NO GAMES is funny because yeah the ps4 had no games even when every developer and publisher was working on something for it. switch has no games with one company working on games for it, and half their time is being spent on waggle toy-games

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Holyshoot posted:

Nintendo didn't charge for multiplayer when I received an SNES for Christmas as a small child! See, this is why Nintendo has completely screwed the pooch and why they're doomed to fail forever.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Reggie on the stream

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

grand theft grotto posted:

I thought the Switch presentation seemed good.

How? Other than Zelda nothing looked good and it basically showed how out of touch Nintendo is with modern gaming experiences and how they're botching their new console that's supposed to replaced their worst console since the Virtual Boy.

I understand rose-tinted glasses or being naïve, but good loving jesus.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Super No Vacancy posted:

every post thats like THE PS4 HAD NO GAMES is funny because yeah the ps4 had no games even when every developer and publisher was working on something for it. switch has no games with one company working on games for it, and half their time is being spent on waggle toy-games

It's really funny, because they're both true. And the PS4 had MS loving up to make them look better.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Kashuno posted:

You're a mad man, forums poster Kashuno!!!

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Super No Vacancy posted:

Waggle toy games are actually good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Phone posted:

Nintendo didn't charge for multiplayer when I received an SNES for Christmas as a small child! See, this is why Nintendo has completely screwed the pooch and why they're doomed to fail forever.

Imagine being able to talk to your snes pals using a dedicated smartphone app wouldn't that be sweet

• Locked thread