Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

prefect posted:

Probably skip "The Torture Psychologists" and the one about the Iraq war. Might be too soon for those, and they're also the "bad people get away with bad things" kind of episodes.

I can't loving figure out how to embed a tweet in this loving forum, but http://twitter.com/daveanthony/status/808086921876369408

The torture psychologist guy is hoping to be relevant again! Maybe Dave'll get to do a sequel Dollop, like the recent one on the Bundy family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
If we're lucky, Trump will usher in a grand renaissance of Bush-era psychopaths. James Mitchell, John Bolton, who knows who else might show up to the party?

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
Roger Babson's Fight is definitely up there for funniest episode in my book

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Thelonius Van Funk posted:

Roger Babson's Fight is definitely up there for funniest episode in my book

Agreed. Everything about Mr. Babson was equally fascinating and confusing in turn, but the reveal of what exactly the titular fight is remains one of the biggest out-of-left-field moments in the show's history.

prefect posted:

This one depresses me quite a lot, but I know not everybody will have the same reaction. A teenage kid loses both his arms to a threshing machine but does not die.

Yeah, but he takes it in good humor, remember? Crackin' jokes with the woman who finds him in the tub and whatnot. He goes through that rough period of being a celeb but in the end he's alive, with both arms, and seemingly pretty well-adjusted despite the insane nightmare he endured.

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Dec 12, 2016

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Guy Goodbody posted:

If you can stand Wil Anderson, The Tichborne Situation is one of the funniest episodes.

There are people who don't like Wil Anderson? That's a shame. I just wish Gary wouldn't try so hard to compete when Wil's on the show.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

prefect posted:

There are people who don't like Wil Anderson? That's a shame. I just wish Gary wouldn't try so hard to compete when Wil's on the show.

Seriously, Wil is a treasure.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Piquai Souban posted:

Seriously, Wil is a treasure.

I can't remember if it was Seattle or Oregon, but during one of the recent shows, Wil was slam-dunking left and right, and it felt like Gary was really pushing too hard to try to "win".

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Wil is great (have seen his show at the Adelaaaaaiiiidddddddeeeee Fringe every year for the last few years) but I'm playing a Live Dollop drinking game now where I drink every time Wil makes a joke and then explains the reference and tells the audience to gently caress off for not getting it.

Yet to finish one of his episodes sober.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?

Senor Tron posted:

Neither has he!

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

prefect posted:

I can't remember if it was Seattle or Oregon, but during one of the recent shows, Wil was slam-dunking left and right, and it felt like Gary was really pushing too hard to try to "win".

Gary was relentless during the Oregon episode. I think he talked more than Dave did

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Senor Tron posted:

Wil is great (have seen his show at the Adelaaaaaiiiidddddddeeeee Fringe every year for the last few years) but I'm playing a Live Dollop drinking game now where I drink every time Wil makes a joke and then explains the reference and tells the audience to gently caress off for not getting it.

How about when he finishes a joke with an Ayyy umm!!

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I enjoy stories of incompetence. Fine Cotton was fantastic, but my favorite all-time loving insane story of incompetence was Burke and Wills. Holy poo poo.

EDIT: Mawson was great, too. It is not about incompetence unless you count Aladdin's Cave.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

How about when he finishes a joke with an Ayyy umm!!

I like Wil Anderson but yeah this bugs the poo poo out of me.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I am sure it has been mentioned but Dollop got me into My Favorite Murder which I have really been enjoying.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Anyone got a source for that Sammy Davis Jr. quote in the latest ep?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
holy poo poo have yall ever heard of rotary jails? because i just found out about them five minutes ago and what the gently caress

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotary_jail
http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/12160

if I can find some more good sources on this I might submit this as a possible story (too bad they don't seem to really do Smollops anymore because this would be perfect for that)

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Midnight Voyager posted:

I enjoy stories of incompetence. Fine Cotton was fantastic, but my favorite all-time loving insane story of incompetence was Burke and Wills. Holy poo poo.

EDIT: Mawson was great, too. It is not about incompetence unless you count Aladdin's Cave.

I think my favorite forgotten thing about Burke and Wills is that they weren't actually able to reach Australia's north coast because there were swamps in the way.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

abraham linksys posted:

holy poo poo have yall ever heard of rotary jails? because i just found out about them five minutes ago and what the gently caress

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotary_jail
http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/12160

if I can find some more good sources on this I might submit this as a possible story (too bad they don't seem to really do Smollops anymore because this would be perfect for that)

You could just submit it anyway, they may end up finding a place for it. I mentioned the House of David in an email I sent, and like six months later they popped up towards the end up an episode (I don't remember which one, but late July/early August). Might fit into a specific criminal's story, or like prisons in the 19th century.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I got the on the Dollop train late so I have a huge backlog of episodes to listen through. I listened to the Egg Nog Riot today and holy poo poo :laffo: best/worst college party ever.

I agree that some of the 19th century episodes do tend to run together though, and live episodes are hit and miss. Macquarie island was top form Dolloping, though.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
You see kids, a long long time ago there was a comedian who was incredibly famous and successful. He was so successful that he decided to get a bunch of his musical-industry friends together to help him make a "record album", which they used in those days to record sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWa-6g-TbgI

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I think the funniest episode I've heard this year was More University and One Taste (ep. 157). The show is always funniest when A) Gareth actually is horrified and vocally freaking out, B) When the "history" lesson is revealed to be currently happening in a new iteration, C) The story is bat-poo poo insane and goes against basic human logic. Gareth's disbelief and horror gives him better fuel, and his jokes hit better. It's great.

When The Cars Came was great as well, because people are so drat stupid, and no one talks about pedestrians having to learn to avoid giant hunks of metal on wheels coming at them at 20 MPH.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is there a thread for My Favorite Murder? I wanna complain about the guys who show up at the end of the latest episode

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Guy Goodbody posted:

Is there a thread for My Favorite Murder? I wanna complain about the guys who show up at the end of the latest episode

I've bitched on and off about the fellows from Last Podcast on the Left in the Informational podcast thread, but no, there's not one just for MFM or for LPotL.

And trust me, they weren't as bad in that episode as they have been. The one who sounds loud and fat really likes to do awful racial stereotype voices, like "me so solly" chinesey man for the episodes covering Leonard Lake and Charles Ng(Two awful serial killers) and a stereotypical neurotic Jewish guy who gabbles about "megoogah" and other made-up Yiddish sounding noises in the episodes covering the Son of Sam. He's way worse in some of their own episodes.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Charles ng kinda sounded like that.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Henry Heimlich died; his son and most of Ethopia breathe a huge sigh of relief today

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Charles ng kinda sounded like that.

Yeah, I'm aware. That doesn't mean it's cool to spend two or three hours using that as an excuse to talk like Mickey Rooney in Breakfast at Tiffany's. Use whatever excuse you want, Zebrowski just likes doing voices that can easily be offensive because he likes to be faux-edgy.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Quixotic1 posted:

Which episode had a tangent about about Gary taking a pot brownie before a flight,which then got delayed and him trying to act cool and composed in the airport.

From a while back but I don't think it was answered: Episode 94, The Business Plot. I've been binging on old episodes and that intro still cracks me up.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

rotinaj posted:

Yeah, I'm aware. That doesn't mean it's cool to spend two or three hours using that as an excuse to talk like Mickey Rooney in Breakfast at Tiffany's. Use whatever excuse you want, Zebrowski just likes doing voices that can easily be offensive because he likes to be faux-edgy.

He stopped doing that to be fair.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Woof, I somehow grew up in New England and everything and never heard about the Boston busing or that photo of the gently caress with the flagpole or anything. poo poo man.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Reformed Pissboy posted:

Woof, I somehow grew up in New England and everything and never heard about the Boston busing or that photo of the gently caress with the flagpole or anything. poo poo man.

Yeah, oddly enough it's not something most of the (non-racist) locals like to talk about.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'd seen the picture but didn't know the context. I knew there were a lot of people angry about busing but that story. :catstare:

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

#46 Cereal Men is worth it just for Gareth's realization partway through.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Superstring posted:

#46 Cereal Men is worth it just for Gareth's realization partway through.

SNAP, CRACKLE, AND loving POP?!?!

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I just love that moment when you have absolutely have no idea what's going to come next, like when Dave introduces the holiday camps.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
From The Dollop's Facebook page:

Dave Anthony posted:

Guys, I made a comment about Obamacare going away and how that would effect my family. It was not a request for money. I do not want money to pay for my healthcare. I'm a grown up. I can handle it myself and will do so.

This is simple. Without the pre-existing condition rule of the ACA, I cannot get health insurance. I do not have a current condition, I have something in my past that excludes me. I will need to get a job to have health insurance.

Yes, that will take time away from the podcast and they will not be as frequent. That's just how it's going to happen. It's not a request for charity. It's not a request for a GoFundMe. It's not a request for you to donate to Patreon. Patreon is for people who like the show and want to donate for the content. Plus, there are a shitload of people out there who are in worse shape than I am, so keep your money for them.

It sounds like the GOP will repeal it but may keep some parts. Who knows. I'm pretty sure whatever they come up with will be a poo poo sandwhich for people like me. I was just putting out there that there are real life consequences for their actions.

Thanks for the concern but I'll handle my own business.

- Dave Anthony

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Dave has always come across as a "leave me alone I will deal with it myself" kind of guy. Latest episode was fantastic.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

The Berzerker posted:

Dave has always come across as a "leave me alone I will deal with it myself" kind of guy. Latest episode was fantastic.

His episode of Mental Illness Happy Hour was very informative.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Don't argue with him on Twitter though, he's pretty ban-happy for anything less than 100% agreement.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Franchescanado posted:

His episode of Mental Illness Happy Hour was very informative.

Yeah, his dad was/is a monster that broke young Dave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

It sucks that the Republicans are taking away Dave's health insurance.

Presumably this means no more Australia tours if he has to get a job for the health insurance. Which is a shame, since I just learnt of what would be a fantastic story for that.