Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Mulva posted:

No. That's in game money.
"pay to continue after a loss with gems that you can earn ingame" screams microtransactions to me
it's konami so i expect IAP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

axeil posted:

yeah this is seriously the wtf part. at least mass effect 3 had just come out, even if it came out gimped and without any dlc. releasing the standard edition of a 6 year old game just strikes me as a what the gently caress move. who is the target audience for this? people who wanted to play it already probably have it twice now (regular + special edition). are they seriously banking on their being an untapped market of nintendo-only people who are cool with playing a 6 year old game?

Don't buy it then? Bethesda wants to make some cash, who the hell cares it's not like this is taking away from any games Nintendo would be working on.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Awesome Welles posted:

I don't who the gently caress Masatsugu Saito is, but his character designs for Xenoblade Chronicles 2 look like poo poo and the whole thing looks off-putting which is a shame because I'm playing through the first one on the 3DS and I'm enjoying it.

Granted, the original game has designs that look weird as gently caress but I found them to be a lot more interesting/engaging than what looks like some anime game on Steam.
I mean the designs look way better than X where they brought back the loving horrible designer from Xenosaga who makes everyone look like lovely doll people

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Malloc Voidstar posted:

"pay to continue after a loss with gems that you can earn ingame" screams microtransactions to me

Why?

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Eurogamer put up a video demonstrating the Switch quickly going from console mode to portable mode and back (it's very fast), but it was also casually mentioned that Breath of the Wild runs at 60fps in both modes according to the Nintendo employee that was there. Not exactly a frame recording, but interesting.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

Nintendo are the ones responsible that make other console makers better off because they basically invented everything interesting so far about controller input, and they work off that.

if that's the case you'd think they'd get better 3rd-party support than a port of a 6 year old game but nope!

as weird as it is, if nintendo would actually get full-functional versions of sports games (fifa, madden, 2kxx, etc) it'd be nice but that hasn't happened since the god damned gamecube.

i just...really do not understand nintendo's business strategy. it'd be really easy to get themselves out of this tailspin but they seem uniquely stubborn and unwilling to change.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

It's a tablet

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Awesome Welles posted:

I don't who the gently caress Masatsugu Saito is, but his character designs for Xenoblade Chronicles 2 look like poo poo and the whole thing looks off-putting which is a shame because I'm playing through the first one on the 3DS and I'm enjoying it.

Granted, the original game has designs that look weird as gently caress but I found them to be a lot more interesting/engaging than what looks like some anime game on Steam.
The first Xenoblade Chronicles was lightning in a bottle as far as character design is concerned. They were still super bizarre but ended up conveying a sense that you were playing actual people with personalities instead of animeblobs.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

BreakAtmo posted:

Eurogamer put up a video demonstrating the Switch quickly going from console mode to portable mode and back (it's very fast), but it was also casually mentioned that Breath of the Wild runs at 60fps in both modes according to the Nintendo employee that was there. Not exactly a frame recording, but interesting.

B.... But my lovely stream stuttered a few times, that must be indicative of performance!!

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
I'm kinda psyched about Bomberman :shobon: Am I the only one..

Also I think I might be more excited about Mario Odyssey than Breath of the Wild after seeing that trailer. It's like a cool weird dream about Mario come to life.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

axeil posted:

as weird as it is, if nintendo would actually get full-functional versions of sports games (fifa, madden, 2kxx, etc) it'd be nice but that hasn't happened since the god damned gamecube.
They're getting FIFA and NBA2K18 but madden isn't coming

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Awesome Welles posted:

It's a shame because the environments look really really good.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Mulva posted:

That was one world.

I'm talking about contrast. There's no color and all of the lighting is flat. You can barely tell what parts are wall and what parts are ground and the whole thing looks like babby's first Unity project except it's a real game they are charging money for.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

The Bomberman game looks fun and good.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Has the stream showed off the Switch OS yet? I'm curious how snappy it is and when things like Netflix will be available.

Also curious how the sleep mode works with the Switch and if you have to reboot the system every time you need to turn it off. I really like the 3DS and DS's standby mode of simply closing the shell and picking off exactly where I was later.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Tender Bender posted:

Don't buy it then? Bethesda wants to make some cash, who the hell cares it's not like this is taking away from any games Nintendo would be working on.

i wont.

and i get it, the game coming out doesn't harm me, but it's very strange that nintendo saw this as a selling point. i'm trying to make an argument that it's reflective of their myopia on marketing and understanding their position in the video game landscape in 2017. maybe if it was a larger thing where bethesda said "hey we're porting skyrim and fallout 4 and dishonored for the switch!" it'd be exciting but as it is it makes me think that nintendo doesn't really understand what their consumers want.

Quest For Glory II posted:

They're getting FIFA and NBA2K18 but madden isn't coming

:negative:

why nintendo? why? i don't want to buy a ps4 or xbox just to finally give me the satisfaction of seeing the eagles win a championship.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Astro7x posted:

Pre-ordered on Target. Hope I can get it on Amazon at some point within the next 49 days (49 DAYS!!!) and just cancel it.

Why would you cancel your target for amazon instead? Target is 5% off.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

I'm kinda psyched about Bomberman :shobon: Am I the only one..

I'd love a good Bomberman game but when was the last time one of those existed?

axeil posted:

i wont.

and i get it, the game coming out doesn't harm me, but it's very strange that nintendo saw this as a selling point. i'm trying to make an argument that it's reflective of their myopia on marketing and understanding their position in the video game landscape in 2017. maybe if it was a larger thing where bethesda said "hey we're porting skyrim and fallout 4 and dishonored for the switch!" it'd be exciting but as it is it makes me think that nintendo doesn't really understand what their consumers want.

Its aimed at people who wouldn't normally buy a Switch because Nintendo consoles never have "mainstream" games. They're trying to say "hey, here's this super popular game that would never have been on a Nintendo console before!" to try and get those people to jump on.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

axeil posted:

i wont.

They put fuckin Todd Howard in the presentation lol

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Malloc Voidstar posted:

it's konami so i expect IAP

While I can't rule it out that sounds to me like it could equally well be "if you collect enough of these gems you will get a continue" which is something that happened in lots of older games.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
because I've played android games
and AAA PC games

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Tender Bender posted:

Except they're not going to make any cash - it's going to be like every other third-party title that has come out on a Nintendo console in the last decade. It'll get released, nobody will buy it cause at this point anyone who hasn't played Skyrim is never going to play it, and Bethesda will use that as their excuse to drop support for the Switch.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ethanol posted:

It's a tablet

The dock also enables more processing power out of it.

Like, the undocked Switch will probably run Breath of the Wild at a lower framerate than the Wii U, but it'll probably be better docked (and if not, it'll be above 720p, which I sorta doubt the Wii U version will reach).

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

ethanol posted:

I don't care about Bethesda or the Elder Scroll games enough to know who this is, what's wrong with him

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

ethanol posted:

is there a reason that's lol? i'm not up to date on who's who in bethesda.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

axeil posted:

i wont.

I do not like Bethesda open world games much but I can see the appeal of Skyrim on a handheld clear as day??

Not for me, but it's probably for most people who use their 3ds/Vita on the go, western RPGs have never been a genre particularly represented on handhelds

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

BreakAtmo posted:

Pretty sure BOTW is 30FPS. That would be cool though.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

I'd love a good Bomberman game but when was the last time one of those existed?

Wasn't it when they has a 3 different ones that launched on Wiiware as Bomberman Blast, xboxlive as Bomberman Live and PSN as Bomberman Ultra

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Waltzing Along posted:

Why would you cancel your target for amazon instead? Target is 5% off.

I don't have a RED card, and that $15 off is offset by the $15 I paid in shipping anyway if I did.

Not only does Amazon has cheaper sales tax (hurray for origin based sales tax and not based on where I actually live!), but I have enough in Amazon GCs that I could buy the whole system and games not pay cash for it. Plus, Prime means I can get BOTW for 20% off. Target wants another $15 to ship that to me on Launch Day. gently caress that.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

axeil posted:

is there a reason that's lol? i'm not up to date on who's who in bethesda.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvGXCisAaR4

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It's me. I'm the guy who hasn't played Skyrim before and is excited to try it on Switch.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

axeil posted:

if that's the case you'd think they'd get better 3rd-party support than a port of a 6 year old game but nope!

i just...really do not understand nintendo's business strategy. it'd be really easy to get themselves out of this tailspin but they seem uniquely stubborn and unwilling to change.
Their business strategy seems to be "Must always be different from what everyone else is doing at all costs," and it's become more extreme as time goes on.

I skipped the WiiU but I'm somewhat interested in the Switch. My wife is mildly interested in games and had fun with the Wii in general so I may be able to get her into this (I actually enjoy most waggle toy games so I guess I'm Nintendo's target audience for this). $300.00 is a bit high though.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

todd-san

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

deadwing posted:

I do not like Bethesda open world games much but I can see the appeal of Skyrim on a handheld clear as day??

Not for me, but it's probably for most people who use their 3ds/Vita on the go, western RPGs have never been a genre particularly represented on handhelds

that's a good point. except the way they marketed the switch isn't jiving with this. they're downplaying all the tablet-y features and instead treating this like it's a home console.

i dunno, i'm just disappointed and doing my best let's play of a market analyst this morning.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Louisgod posted:

I don't care about Bethesda or the Elder Scroll games enough to know who this is, what's wrong with him

He oversells his games. Not nearly to the degree that other developers have in the past though, like Molyneux. I really don't care about him.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I think Skyrim is perfect for the switch. The first part of the game is about as bad as you can get. Just like that show last night.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

axeil posted:

that's a good point. except the way they marketed the switch isn't jiving with this. they're downplaying all the tablet-y features and instead treating this like it's a home console.

i dunno, i'm just disappointed and doing my best let's play of a market analyst this morning.

They clearly marketed it as being suitable for rooftop parties and that's where I plan to play my Skyrim.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Strange Matter posted:

The first Xenoblade Chronicles was lightning in a bottle as far as character design is concerned. They were still super bizarre but ended up conveying a sense that you were playing actual people with personalities instead of animeblobs.

Yeah, this is a good way of putting it. This looks terrible.

"I love this world because you're in it!" :ughh: Thank you for killing any interest in this games, my dudes.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/chokodaisuki111/status/819918975958192134

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

axeil posted:

Their business strategies usually work, because otherwise they still wouldn't be making their own hardware. It's incredible that they can survive next to competing against other huge corporations. 127 years of wisdom staying in business will give them that.

You won't like hearing it, but really what they do is try to put the main spotlight on their big IPs, and give 3rd party support, but nothing that would get too much focus. They want to say they have 3rd party, but not be about it.

• Locked thread