Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Avalerion posted:

Any reason why they would not sell a dockless version for 199$?

The dock doesn't actually cost anywhere near 90 dollars to produce, Nintendo just knows extra docks are a niche item that are likely going to sell to people with more money (multiple good TV havers), so they've got it priced high to add more perspective value to the bundle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Did amazon have a preorder yet?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Takoluka posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they simply didn't trust EA with their back end, which, I feel, is not a bad thing.

the idea EA would have improved things is laughable.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

A cool drat horse posted:

The 3ds launch was still way worse than this, but having brain problems appears to be the MO with posters in this forum.

Most launches are, but yeah

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

incoherent posted:

A few times.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

incoherent posted:

Yea, there will be lots more from Amazon so keep reloading it now and again

A cool damn horse
Jan 25, 2009

loving insane how nintendo just doesn't do what ps plus does. Im absolutely losing my poo poo over here. My cock flopped out of my pants on its own when I realized I get to own some early 90s adventure game AIDS permanently... Oh Mama...

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

MMF Freeway posted:

Based on the wording on the site it seems to be the case:

"Our new dedicated smart device app will connect to Nintendo Switch and let you invite friends to play online, set play appointments, and chat with friends during online matches in compatible games─all from your smart device.

A free, limited version of this app will be available for download in summer 2017."

Yeah if you want to stretch you could interpret it as you don't get to log-in/actually use the app unless you're paying for the online service, but it clearly reads like you have to pay for the app that lets you more easily used the paid service. And that all of it is going to be free until this fall because that's when all of it will actually start working.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
This footage of Super Mario 64 has way too many A presses for my tastes.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Super Mario 64 confirmed switch launch title for 90 dollars and another 20 dollars to unlock the levels after the bomb one.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Utnayan posted:

Yep. The companion app has a free "limited" version, but to get all the fuctionality of the app, you will have to buy a premium version. Of the app. For your mobile device. To support the online service on Switch you pay a subscription too as well.

This will be the first time I have ever seen anyone charge for a companion app on top of a service they already pay for.
it's comped with the subscription

more #FakeNews from the lamestream media!! Sad!!!

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
I love Shiggy. He is the best.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

PS+ and GWG aren't worth much more to me when everything they offer for free lately is stuff I'd never want.

Nintendo giving away a free trial is still dire but that means the incentives for all three are basically worthless to me.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
"I was inspired by watching my hamster running around my house."

Miyamoto really hasn't changed in 30 years has he?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
They haven't said how much the Nintendo online will be a month yet. I'm guessing $20

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

greatn posted:

They haven't said how much the Nintendo online will be a month yet. I'm guessing $20

No way it's more than 10, they aren't that stupid, just mainly stupid

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Quest For Glory II posted:

it's comped with the subscription

more #FakeNews from the lamestream media!! Sad!!!

Those are applicatIons on the console itself not the mobile application we are discussing genius.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Is Amazon doing Zelda pre-orders? I can't find any but the WiiU version.

oh wait, I found it.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Strange Matter posted:

"I was inspired by watching my hamster running around my house."

Miyamoto really hasn't changed in 30 years has he?

Nope. I love him for it too.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
that mario game look so loving awesome, I'm so glad they're doing a game outside the usual mushroom kingdom stuff

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

So am I going to be able to use my miitomo clothes on my Switch avatar or what.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

Is Amazon doing Zelda pre-orders? I can't find any but the WiiU version.

They might get more later but they ran out already.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

greatn posted:

A guess:

$ 12.99 - 1 month sub
$ 10.99 - 6 month sub
$ 9.99 - 12 month sub

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!

Utnayan posted:

Those are applicatIons on the console itself not the mobile application we are discussing genius.

From what I understand all of those features require a smart device

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Utnayan posted:

It's the smart phone app *makes a stupid voice* genius

it's directly referenced on the page and I already said last night how I dont understand why people wouldnt just use Discord instead

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Went to the demo in London. This console RUUUUUULES. Games admittedly don't look that much better than the U on a TV but the screen on the console is fuckin gorgeous. It's so light and thin and felt comfy to hold. Can't wait to buy one.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

"a couple years ago, i noticed that my backyard was full of nasty garbage, and there were ants everywhere, so i made pikmin"

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Utnayan posted:

I'm starting to think your avatar isn't true

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches

Escobarbarian posted:

Went to the demo in London. This console RUUUUUULES. Games admittedly don't look that much better than the U on a TV but the screen on the console is fuckin gorgeous. It's so light and thin and felt comfy to hold. Can't wait to buy one.

How did Zelda look in person? Lot of anxiety in this thread about tearing and screen rips.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

So has anyone figured out if you can use the headphone jack while docked? Because the joycons don't have one

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Ugh I almost just orders a master addition but know I'm just going to flip it. I can't justify that I don't think. I have a special addition pre ordered already and now know it's for the Switch instead of the Wii U. If I keep that version I wonder if it will go for more by release day?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's weird how in Mario Odyssey he gets stranded on an island and fucks Rosalina for fifteen years before suddenly deciding he should probably go rescue Peach from her suitors.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Quest For Glory II posted:

It's the smart phone app *makes a stupid voice* genius

it's directly referenced on the page and I already said last night how I dont understand why people wouldnt just use Discord instead

yeah, in game voice chat is invariably terrible anyway

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

MMF Freeway posted:

A guess:

$ 12.99 - 1 month sub
$ 10.99 - 6 month sub
$ 9.99 - 12 month sub

This would be dumb as hell. Xbox live us would be cheaper and better.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

gently caress yeah. Bonus Ms. Marvel. I'm so fuggen excited.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

orphean posted:

How did Zelda look in person? Lot of anxiety in this thread about tearing and screen rips.

Didn't notice any issues. Seemed gorgeous and fluid - although again much more so on the console's screen than on the TV when it still looks a bit last-gen.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Escobarbarian posted:

How was the HD rumble thing?

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches

AlmightyBob posted:

So has anyone figured out if you can use the headphone jack while docked? Because the joycons don't have one

I'm guessing its in the grip. They had someone using headphones in the trailer.

Escobarbarian posted:

Didn't notice any issues. Seemed gorgeous and fluid - although again much more so on the console's screen than on the TV when it still looks a bit last-gen.

Awesome, thanks! Jealous of you.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Cojawfee posted:

This would be dumb as hell. Xbox live us would be cheaper and better.

Are you expecting the new nintendo service to be a better value than xbox live?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

MMF Freeway posted:

Based on the wording on the site it seems to be the case:

"Our new dedicated smart device app will connect to Nintendo Switch and let you invite friends to play online, set play appointments, and chat with friends during online matches in compatible games─all from your smart device.

A free, limited version of this app will be available for download in summer 2017."

Eh, that's fine, because I don't really want to do any of that with my friends on a Nintendo console, since 9 times out of 10 they're in the same room with me. I really hope the Switch has some rudimentary social stuff baked into the OS, though, like adding/maintaining a friends list, and sending messages/game invites. If absolutely everything friend-related is handled in a smartphone app, that's just not ideal. The thought of having a quick message session with a friend (what, 4-5 messages each, staggered a minute apart?) having to switch my hands from controller to phone sounds awful.

• Locked thread