Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

GG, 10pm and it's 39.8C

I remember when I was living in Melbourne and when the butter was out on the counter it melted into a puddle. Australia is slightly closer to the sun than any other country.

funny Star Wars parody posted:

Jesus what even is your life

Sorry to hear man :rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I remember when I was living in Melbourne and when the butter was out on the counter it melted into a puddle. Australia is slightly closer to the sun than any other country.

for some reason i thought that you lived in Utah

if you do then what the heck took you to australia?

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

GG, 10pm and it's 39.8C

Last time I was in Pheonix(in July since I am an idiot), it was 115(~46c) every day. I remember sitting at the pool at 11pm and it was still 105 out. It was nice to see my family down there, but holy poo poo how do people live there.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I should be an uncle by tonight! I shall strive to be a cool uncle.

Edit: I already have a moustache

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

for some reason i thought that you lived in Utah

if you do then what the heck took you to australia?

I do, and I did! I was in Australia from August 2004 to August 2006 (Tassie and Melbourne; specifically the CBD/western suburbs in VIC) as an LDS (Mormon) missionary. I am the resident Mormon goon in here.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Pham Nuwen posted:

Congrats! I'm pretty sure I'll never get the chance to be THAT uncle even though I've wanted to be for a while but my sister has aged out and my brother in law doesn't look like he's going to do anything with life besides smoke weed erryday.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
listening to abgt 213 and working a bunch

today is a good day :)

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

keykey posted:

Congrats! I'm pretty sure I'll never get the chance to be THAT uncle even though I've wanted to be for a while but my sister has aged out and my brother in law doesn't look like he's going to do anything with life besides smoke weed erryday.

Well, they're pretty lucky to be having a kid too; it was IVF and even that was pretty dicey.

How old is old enough for a sip outta the beer can when mom's not around?

I had an aunt who always gave us books and we looked forward to those the most. Her family (my in-laws) are going to be giving her plenty of girly stuff, so I'll stick to books and legos and such.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I do, and I did! I was in Australia from August 2004 to August 2006 (Tassie and Melbourne; specifically the CBD/western suburbs in VIC) as an LDS (Mormon) missionary. I am the resident Mormon goon in here.

oh that's pretty cool that they didnt send you to somewhere in the midwest

neato bandito!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

slurry_curry posted:

Last time I was in Pheonix(in July since I am an idiot), it was 115(~46c) every day. I remember sitting at the pool at 11pm and it was still 105 out. It was nice to see my family down there, but holy poo poo how do people live there.

Two words.

Air conditioning.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Adiabatic posted:

listening to abgt 213 and working a bunch

today is a good day :)

Thanks for this, I've never heard of it before.

The Locator posted:

Two words.

Air conditioning.
Stolen water and AC. It's super-wasteful.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Pham Nuwen posted:

Well, they're pretty lucky to be having a kid too; it was IVF and even that was pretty dicey.

I had an aunt who always gave us books and we looked forward to those the most. Her family (my in-laws) are going to be giving her plenty of girly stuff, so I'll stick to books and legos and such.

The Noisy Snails would be an appropriate book I hope
https://www.amazon.com/NOISY-Snails-MotorHead-Garage-Childrens/dp/1482747049

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
My wife got me a pair of Beyerdynamic DT-990s for my Birthday and I have to say, the sound stage on these things is loving awesome. I'm using them at work because I need to be able to hear the techs on the floor around me.

I have a pair of DT-770s at home and I used https://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/ to make them a bit more neutral.

Is anyone else a bit of a mid-range headphone slut?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Pham Nuwen posted:

I dunno, me and my cousin got busted breaking into my uncle's liqour stash by my dad when I was 14. His solution was to get us drunk on screwdrivers so we'd all have hangovers and not want to do it again. He failed.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

oh that's pretty cool that they didnt send you to somewhere in the midwest

neato bandito!

You are telling me! Australia is such an amazing country. I love the people. You really don't have any say on where you will be sent, you simply just say you will go wherever. I have friends that went to pretty much any place you can imagine; Western/Eastern Europe; Africa, Polynesia, Asia, Central/South America and learning to speak whatever the native language(s) is(are). I would have liked to have learn a language, did a little time within the Tongan community so I picked up a bit of that.

Basically Australia is better than the US in more ways than I care to count. :australia:

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Wrar posted:

My wife got me a pair of Beyerdynamic DT-990s for my Birthday and I have to say, the sound stage on these things is loving awesome. I'm using them at work because I need to be able to hear the techs on the floor around me.

I have a pair of DT-770s at home and I used https://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/ to make them a bit more neutral.

I keep thinking about picking up a pair of the 770s. What amp are you using for your 990s?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Wrar posted:

Stolen water and AC. It's super-wasteful.

Stolen?

Until fairly recently the area got water from the Verde and Salt River basins and pumped ground water. Who exactly is it being stolen from?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Wrar posted:

Thanks for this, I've never heard of it before.

Above & Beyond owns and I love their sound. ABGT has been going on for a while so you've got about 450 hours of radio to listen to now :)

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Stolen might not be the right word but wasted is.

Who the gently caress thinks that diverting rivers so people can grow loving grass in the middle of the desert is a good idea? It's probably just a matter of time until the southwestern states start talking about how we should drain the great lakes so people there can have cheap water again.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Pham Nuwen posted:

Newborn sounds about right if you want to be remembered as that uncle from an early enough age.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Somewhat Heroic posted:

You are telling me! Australia is such an amazing country. I love the people. You really don't have any say on where you will be sent, you simply just say you will go wherever. I have friends that went to pretty much any place you can imagine; Western/Eastern Europe; Africa, Polynesia, Asia, Central/South America and learning to speak whatever the native language(s) is(are). I would have liked to have learn a language, did a little time within the Tongan community so I picked up a bit of that.

Basically Australia is better than the US in more ways than I care to count. :australia:

i am trying to find a job there and i also applied for the silver fern program in nz

now to just convince the wife to move half a world away

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

NZ is nice but a bit remote for my tastes. Very dependent on what turned up on the ships that week unless you like lamb ;)

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Pham Nuwen posted:

did your siblings troll you as a kid? I have some gift suggestions, ranging from fun to monstrous to outright war
- legos, preferably mostly small pointy ones
- battery powered toys that make noise
- battery powered toys that make noise, with ultra long life batteries secreted inside so even if the batteries in the sockets mysteriously keep disappearing, the toy keeps making noise
- battery powered toys that make noise, with ultra long life batteries secreted inside and more in the normal sockets... super glued in
- kid energy powered toys that make noise
- kid energy powered musical instruments, to include: accordions, banjos, violins (a violin in the wrong hands is a psychological weapon), drums, bagpipes, harmonicas
- if all else fails, a recorder

My brother and sister are so lucky they don't want kids.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

kastein posted:

did your siblings troll you as a kid? I have some gift suggestions, ranging from fun to monstrous to outright war
- battery powered toys that make noise, with ultra long life batteries secreted inside so even if the batteries in the sockets mysteriously keep disappearing, the toy keeps making noise
- battery powered toys that make noise, with ultra long life batteries secreted inside and more in the normal sockets... super glued in
- kid energy powered musical instruments, to include: accordions, banjos, violins (a violin in the wrong hands is a psychological weapon), drums, bagpipes, harmonicas

Don't forget whistles. You can get them a whole box of coach whistles. They're nice and shiny.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

BigPaddy posted:

NZ is nice but a bit remote for my tastes. Very dependent on what turned up on the ships that week unless you like lamb ;)

i love lamb but yeah that would be my main concern is the cost of living

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Don't forget whistles. You can get them a whole box of coach whistles. They're nice and shiny.

That's so evil.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

It was a single degree C this morning when I cycled to work in the snow. By the time I'd gotten here there was a nice snowdrift on my crotch.
Meanwhile, in The North (tm):

i continue to look forward to the eventual civil uprising against our brutish oppressors

gently caress off, America did that once already, you don't get to re-roll until the campaign's over or you're dead.

Pham Nuwen posted:

I try to be that uncle (not actually uncle, though I am godfather.

It's great. All the good, fun poo poo and none of the responsibility.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Wrar posted:

I use 250s at work and have 770s for myself. I genuinely don't see the point in spending any more money on headphones than what I have done. 250s, 770s and 990s are all very similar prices in the UK and I like the 990s but I'd be using them in less than ideal scenarios so went with the 770s simply because they're closed and fit my ears better than the 250s...

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

kastein posted:

Well it's my brother-in-law's kid. I'll be giving the kid legos, books, science stuff like microscopes when she's old enough, and yes probably some musical instruments.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

InitialDave posted:

Liverpool?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
That is....Quite the dress.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

it looks like the same material a bathrobe is made of

meltie posted:

Liverpool?

i was going to guess newcastle

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

CommieGIR posted:

Very... English.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

mariooncrack posted:

I keep thinking about picking up a pair of the 770s. What amp are you using for your 990s?

I'm really happy with both, especially after a gentle EQ. I'm not using an amp with the 990s, just plugging it into the 2014 MacBook Pro I use for work. It seems to be fine for my usage.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

InitialDave posted:

Drunk as gently caress, dumb as gently caress, looking to gently caress.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I can't stand iOS devices, my wife and girl have ipads and I have an iphone for the FLIR. The interface never ceases to bother me with its non-intuitive, restrictive format.

I've been using a new AppleTV, though, and it works as a set top box very well. The stock remote is gimicky and a bit awful, but Harmony handles it very well.

Just something I was thinking.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

i was going to guess newcastle
It looks like Newcastle to me. That's Newgate Street, with The Gate in the background.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Drunk as gently caress, dumb as gently caress, looking to gently caress.
Young, dumb, and full of...

But seriously, you can't tell anything about them from that picture. That's kind of the standard "girls on night out" kind of deal.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Am I crazy or did the ev mega thread disappear? I'm like four years behind but I also have archive access. Am I just an idiot or is it somehow missing?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

InitialDave posted:

1 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

InitialDave posted:

It looks like Newcastle to me. That's Newgate Street, with The Gate in the background.

Young, dumb, and full of...

But seriously, you can't tell anything about them from that picture. That's kind of the standard "girls on night out" kind of deal.

maybe it is for a geordie i guess

• Locked thread