Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Flavahbeast posted:

Didn't WoW cost twice that before release day? Crowfall is pretty ambitious, I think making a game like this with a seven digit budget would be impossible

It has little to no authored content and the worlds are procedurally generated, so I think wow might be a bad cost comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

I've never seen a crow in real life

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

:same: :eonwe:

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Oh look they put some houses in their store for like a hundred dollars that's not even as fun as a spaceship

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
otoh it sounds like the inventory rebuild & vessel system will be ready for tomorrow's test

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Kimsemus posted:

There needs to just be a "neat" emoji that conveys both my lack of excitement, but also my lack of disapproval at what is happening at this point.

Like...the most neutral emoji ever but maybe nudged 1% into the "well that's interesting" category. I don't know what that looks like but...

Neat.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Capntastic posted:

are crows even real? the only one i know about is in Poe's "the Ra-" wait just a minute

Orv
May 4, 2011
Crows are just small geese.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Capntastic posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbRS9K4rZ8Y&t=37s

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Capntastic posted:

A pissed off crow decided to swoop over me a few times because the road I'd been walking down was too close to its nest. That's my crow story.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
ACE just clarified that the inventory rewrite's going in next week not this week. They also said a lot of inventory-impacting stuff is going in this month so there's probably going to be item wipes most tests this month.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Speaking of stock. I saw that $1 somethin' gets me one share. Then in their massive legal document, I saw that the FV (Fair Value Per Share) was like $0.09. Now correct me if I'm wrong but normally the discrepancy between the two numbers is supposed to be at most like 50%, not 95%.

Also on the subject stretch goals and Kickstarter;

See I just kickstart weird visualnovels about banging dragons and taking monsters out to prom. Haven't been disappointed yet.

SweetBro fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jan 7, 2017

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/15055-patch-notes-january-06-2017/?p=314816

- World chests are now spawning blue/purple resources
- Fixed a dupe bug & wiped inventories
- Chat reconnect workaround is actually working around now
- Server optimizations that are apparently quite serious?
- US East is now much bigger, should be ~120 plots now. Puts us at ~30% of the eventual goal size.
- Various gathering skill fixes to make them work, various tooltip display fixes

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

SweetBro posted:

Speaking of stock. I saw that $1 somethin' gets me one share. Then in their massive legal document, I saw that the FMV (Fair Market Value) was like $0.09. Now correct me if I'm wrong but normally the discrepancy between the two numbers is supposed to be at most like 50%, not 95%.

Also on the subject stretch goals and Kickstarter;

See I just kickstart weird visualnovels about banging dragons and taking monsters out to prom. Haven't been disappointed yet.

holy poo poo this incredible

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

30.5 Days posted:

holy poo poo this incredible

I just double checked, it's actually $0.045 per share.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Wow, an offering for $45,000 of equity in a company that's raised $7m from VC's. Truly we are living in amazing times.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
have the crows sufficiently fallen yet :iiam:

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
http://crowfall.com/en/news/harvesting-redux/

New harvesting plans. ATM, the resources are tiered from copper - gold but the actual outputs from those resources are apples/oranges kinda things where some classes want copper and others want gold. They're changing that & making resources be tiered on quality, which was already a thing that existed (higher-quality nodes drop purps). They're exposing node quality through the UI, making higher-quality nodes harder to mine, making tool crafting use I think metal bars so that the alloy system can work & giving tools a lot of potential harvesting-related stats via experimentation, the main one being +effectiveness to allow you to mine higher-quality nodes. They're pretty clearly going to have to redo the harvesting trees now but this is pretty cool and adds a huge advantage to the little +effectiveness skills in the harvesting tree. Pretty cool. This weekend's patch notes will go up today or tomorrow morning & we'll see what's actually going live for this weekend.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Are they keeping the apples Andy oranges and quality his just for a specific type? I.e. better quality copper rather than copper being obsoleted?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Stormgale posted:

Are they keeping the apples Andy oranges and quality his just for a specific type? I.e. better quality copper rather than copper being obsoleted?

That's right- just like in a lot of MMOs, you have the standard MMO item qualities:
gray
white
green
blue
purple
orange

Only instead of applying mainly to equippable gear, these qualities apply to literally everything. If you craft something out of all green ingredients, you'll generally end up with a green output item. I think your crafting skills impact that a bit. So grade 0 nodes drop only grays, while grade 10 nodes drop mainly purples with some blues and a few oranges. Again, your harvesting skills probably impact that somewhat. So instead of gold being the best tools and hardest to mine nodes, all ore types are equally easy to mine, but grade 0 nodes are extremely easy and grade 10 are extremely hard, while the quality of your tools will determine how good they are at mining, rather than what ore they're made out of. Otherwise things haven't changed much because the stats that metals applied to combat gear was already apples/oranges (copper gives crit, gold gives support power). I think they're filling out the alloys made with harvesting seals & making tools be crafted out of metal bars or something.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

I am glad of these changes

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Big changes pushed to next week :qq:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Ded game

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Capntastic posted:

I am glad of these changes

:eonwe:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
is this a game yet

should i check out the playtest

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

eonwe posted:

is this a game yet

should i check out the playtest

Maybe this weekend if they add some new stuff

It is kind of fun to run around and do things (kill people, get traysure, make weapons) and I am impressed with the progress. There just needs to be more things to do in general though, but they are focusing entirely on the core game which I cannot fault a bit

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
The middle ground it's in kinda sucks right now since the ability to export stuff to your crow is done but not any restrictions on that whatsoever, so people just bank all their stuff immediately and murdering people doesn't really elicit the same response it used to. Supposed to be some huge patch this weekend, though, and I think we'll definitely get back to a point where murder is fun within a month or two.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
So kinda random but a quiet change that slipped in at some point: the harvesting advanced trees no longer require 50% of harvesting basic to be filled out. Instead, you only have to fill out the lane for the harvesting type you want to specialize in. This makes it possible to critical path the +penetration skills for one harvesting type within 90 days.

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

I would say wait until they bring back the ability to harvest pubbie tears.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Long livestream today showing some changes, raising cash, etc. At the end, they did a snap test to preview the changes for this weekend. Sounds like things are still janky so they're going to be cleaning them up tomorrow (hopefully). The Big World 2 arc has officially begun. Here are the patch notes:

- You can no longer select characters from the lobby, you just choose a campaign to log into & mess with your skills.
- When you first log into a campaign, you spawn at a temple in crow form. Temples and graveyards are now separate- graveyards are resource nodes for harvesting body parts, and temples are respawn areas. When you release from your corpse, you spawn as a crow at a nearby temple. You can go to the giant statue in the middle to respawn with your current vessel & gear, or choose one of the archetypes around the outside to change vessel/archetype. You still respawn with what's left on your corpse, except for your old vessel which goes to your spirit bank. You can always pick up a white-quality archetype for free at temples (and it's set up so you essentially can't have a white vessel in your inventory or spirit bank, the game automatically cleans them up. They basically work like axes do.) You can also interact with the archetypes around the outside to kill yourself & change vessel/archetype while already in a vessel. When in crow form, you can't travel far from a temple without being returned there. You're kind of in a little spirit world where nobody can see you, but you can see things near the temple.
- Inventory rewrite is in. Devs say they haven't been able to repro the take bug in testing since finishing it.
- You can craft vessels but not use them yet, you can only use the white-quality vessels you get from the temple. Vessels have customizable stats & you can play with them during crafting (but I don't think the stats do anything yet).
- New harvesting rank system is in. All 5 grave nodes are live & grave digging is functional as a skill.
- Harvesting skill tree has been split into two & reworked. I'm patching now so I'll give a quick trip report when I see it.

BTW:
- The UI stuff that shows the rank of a node isn't in yet, but all nodes are currently rank 1.
- In the future, you'll be able to release after death manually & stick around for up to 6 minutes to get ressed, but that's not in the game yet (nor are resses)

EDIT: Hoo boy! The main menu has gotten a small facelift, which is nice. The home screen in the individual skill trees now takes you to the root skill menu instead of the main menu, which was a pet peeve of mine. And harvesting has been split into two trees:

- Excavation, which includes gravedigging, stone, and ore
- Harvesting, which includes skinning, chopping, and plant gathering [NYI].

This is a nice little gimme because it makes the mastery skill for those trees easier to get. Gravedigging has icons now, except for one skill that was added arbitrarily since last week. Currently, in the places where the gravedigging trees splay out, there are two skills instead of 3 like the other harvesting trees have. In one spot they randomly added a third. I suspect they're all going to get a third.

Ore mastery tree's pick requirement skills have been replaced with generic +penetration skills like the other trees have, and all +durability skills across the board have been changed to apply smaller durability bonuses to all metals. So no more +copper durability, +gold durability. There's just a ton of small +durability skills. All skill tooltips also currently show the actual stat changes made by the skill, both the amount you currently have and the amount you'll have when you max it out.

30.5 Days fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jan 19, 2017

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

Neat

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Apparently unmentioned in the patch notes: the UI was rewritten as well. It's now modular & resizeable but also extremely buggy atm & has some bad UX that they're going to be working through. Also new actually-legible nameplates. A player claims they hit the take bug last night, & also there's apparently a bug where the new UI will sometimes destroy items if you don't click the right way when moving stuff to your spirit bank. The latter's going to be fixed, the former can't be repro'd.

30.5 Days fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 19, 2017

Space Monster
Mar 13, 2009

30.5 days, if you had to make a prediction about the future of the game, what would you say? Do you think they'll finish the game with all or most of the promised features in a decently polisbed and playable condition?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Space Monster posted:

30.5 days, if you had to make a prediction about the future of the game, what would you say? Do you think they'll finish the game with all or most of the promised features in a decently polisbed and playable condition?

I wouldn't be surprised if disciplines didn't make it in for launch, but the basic game loop of fighting people, cool crafting, building stuff, and sieges is definitely gonna be done, probably this year.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

I want to play dress up and house

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
They showed off player housing yesterday on the stream and deco/crafting tables & it was extremely cool.

https://www.twitch.tv/crowfallgame/v/115681211

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Jesus christ, another extremely decent-sized patch, no snap test:

- They did something to keybinds so you need to "restore defaults" or everything will be brokey
- A lot of weird tooltip & icon behaviors have been fixed in the inventory
- You can ctrl+right click a dust (or whatever) to pull all dust (or whatever) in your inventory into that slot
- They're gearing up for pretty princess poo poo, so the models might be broken now

- You can use stone runestone blanks to make a tool & get more durability than wood blanks
- The first jewelcrafting recipe is in (rings) but gems don't have stats yet
- Some stonemasonry recipes are in (components used in jewelcrafting)
- idk if they actually added skill trees for JC & SM, and the lobby server's messed up until the test tomorrow
- In addition to providing larger experimentation tracks, higher-quality items now also have higher base stats
- Min/Max damage experimentation tracks for weapons have been collapsed to a single damage experimentation track

- Slag doesn't look like copper anymore.
- Slag has a rare drop used by jewelcrafting or something, there's a new excavation skill to increase their drop rate
- Plentiful harvest is properly clamped, so potion+skill training no longer fucks up your harvesting

- There are visible debuffs for being hungry now
- Hitting a tree while hungry enough will always drop a "bruised apple". They have a low stack size & only help if you're hungry enough (<25%)

- Legionnaire's Rear Kick works now
- :siren: Berserk damage bonus no longer scales with damage received, it's now a hard 35% bonus :siren:
- Druid thorns damage nerfed

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

30.5 Days posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if disciplines didn't make it in for launch, but the basic game loop of fighting people, cool crafting, building stuff, and sieges is definitely gonna be done, probably this year.

I would say next year is a possibility since according to their investment statements they have enough money to operate for another 2.5 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
The current plan is to soft launch after two more feature arcs: the big world 2 arc, just started, and the campaign world arc. They are probably going to move anything not yet discussed in depth to post launch. Then you add in that they consulted with raph koster who was giving talks about post release revenue curves for mmos, and that a j shaped curve is inevitable (you essentially don't stabilize and actually gain new subscribers until several months to a year after release) and I think they're going to see launching with over a year of runway as a necessity.