Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/IraqHashd/status/819612503437099009

Click that twitter thread if you want to see a lot of (very graphic) photos from Mosul.

:nms::nws: etc etc dead bodies and parts of bodies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Kafouille posted:

They are really small, you are not going to get enough HE to be worth anything.

But who cares, really it''s an eye in the sky you know is there but can't shoot down. Harbingers of Artillery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH3jCJkAvF4

Attaching handguns to drones is already possible, you could make smaller drones lethal by using a single barrel with a single bullet design. Imagine 50 small drones with a single shot barrel swarming a platoon and shooting people once in the face point blank. Or some sort of mini claymore design.

PookBear fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 12, 2017

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I'm with the fella a few posts up.

Manhacks.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Hot Karl Marx posted:

https://twitter.com/IraqHashd/status/819612503437099009

Click that twitter thread if you want to see a lot of (very graphic) photos from Mosul.

:nms::nws: etc etc dead bodies and parts of bodies

OK yyyep a couple seconds of scrolling in and I found the pic that really got to me. gently caress.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

aphid_licker posted:

OK yyyep a couple seconds of scrolling in and I found the pic that really got to me. gently caress.

:-/ I meant to link this one as a buffer against that whole list, sorry for that

https://twitter.com/EjmAlrai/status/819615453878382592

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Reverand maynard posted:

Or some sort of mini claymore design.

Ceramic fragmentation plate, tiny amount of HE.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Ceramic fragmentation plate, tiny amount of HE.

High powered autoinjector filled with cyanide or dimethylmercury as a morale destroyer.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Potential BFF posted:

dimethylmercury

That's just hosed up.Go home from the war to your family, drop dead months later.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

That's just hosed up.Go home from the war to your family, drop dead months later.

I could deal with dropping dead but the whole thrashing around and crying with a brain that doctors think should not even be able of experiencing pain anymore is creeping me right the gently caress out.

quote:

"I went to see her, but it wasn't the kind of coma I'd expected," recalled Diane Stearns, one of her postdoctoral students, now a professor of chemistry herself. "She was thrashing about. Her husband saw tears rolling down her face. I asked if she was in pain. The doctors said it didn't appear that her brain could even register pain."

http://science.nationalgeographic.com/science/health-and-human-body/human-body/poison-toxic-tales.html

quote:

Spontaneous yawning, moaning, and limb movements occurred, with periods of agitation and crying, requiring large doses of chlorpromazine and lorazepam. Her condition appeared to resemble a persistent vegetative state with spontaneous episodes of agitation and crying.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM199806043382305

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

What I'm trying to say is, I'm glad I'm out of IRR lol

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

aphid_licker posted:

I could deal with dropping dead but the whole thrashing around and crying with a brain that doctors think should not even be able of experiencing pain anymore is creeping me right the gently caress out.

http://science.nationalgeographic.com/science/health-and-human-body/human-body/poison-toxic-tales.html

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM199806043382305

I bet at least a semi-effective treatment could be developed for it, there's a paper here about an experiment treating DMM poisoning in rats: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20688495

My understanding is it absorbs all of the selenium in your brain, which your brain needs to live. OTOH selenium is toxic in large amounts so I wonder how hard it would be to counteract the DMM without poisoning the patient in a different way.

There's only been 3-4 cases of people being poisoned by it ever since it's pretty rare anyone ever uses the stuff.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone have the link to the analysis of ISIS weapons manufacturing?

ESDK
Oct 10, 2007

This one?

Standardisation and Quality Control in Islamic State´s Military Production
http://www.conflictarm.com/download-file/?report_id=2454&file_id=2457

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Chief Master Sergeant/Deadhead

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

ESDK posted:

This one?

Standardisation and Quality Control in Islamic State´s Military Production
http://www.conflictarm.com/download-file/?report_id=2454&file_id=2457

I work in manufacturing QC

ISIS is able to maintain a 0.1mm tolerance on their parts in the middle of a war zone, and they have a documented supply chain qualification system, AND a process management system. ISO auditors would be impressed.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
If memory serves that's a lot tighter tolerances than anything required in the M16 TDP.

I mean there's other things to consider but that's pretty good.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

aphid_licker posted:

Bonus fun: the Navy at one point wanted to experiment with DMM as a rocket propellant.

quote:

Phil Pomerantz, of BuWeps, wanted me to try dimethyl mercury, Hg(CH3)2, as a fuel. I suggested that it might be somewhat toxic and a bit dangerous to synthesize and handle, but he assured me that it was (a) very easy to put together, and (b) as harmless as mother’s milk. I was dubious, but told him that I’d see what I could do. I looked the stuff up, and discovered that, indeed, the synthesis was easy, but that it was extremely toxic, and a long way from harmless. As I had suffered from mercury poisoning on two previous occasions and didn’t care to take a chance on doing it again, I thought that it would be an excellent idea to have somebody else make the compound for me. So I phoned Rochester, and asked my contact man at Eastman Kodak if they would make a hundred pounds of dimethyl mercury and ship it to NARTS. I heard a horrified gasp, and then a tightly controlled voice (I could hear the grinding of teeth beneath the words) informed me that if they were silly enough to synthesize that much dimethyl mercury, they would, in the process fog every square inch of photographic film in Rochester, and that, thank you just the same, Eastman was not interested. The receiver came down with a crash, and I sat back to consider the matter. An agonizing reappraisal seemed to be indicated.

Phil wanted density. Well, dimethylmercury was dense, allright– d =3.07 – but it would be burned with RFNA, and at a reasonable mixture ratio the total propellant density would be about 2.1 or 2.2. (The density of the acid-UDMH system is about 1.2.) That didn’t seem too impressive, and I decided to apply the reducto ad absurdum method. Why not use the densest known substance which is liquid at room temperature – mercury itself? Just squirt it into the chamber of a motor burning, say, acid-UDMH. It would evaporate into a monatomic gas (with a low Cp, which would help performance), and would go out the nozzle with the combustion products. That techniques hould give Phil all the density he wanted! Charmed by the delightful nuttiness of the idea, I reached for the calculator.

At NOTS, Dean Couch and D. G. Nyberg took over the job, and by March 1960 had completed their experiments. They used a 250-pound thrust RFNA-UDMH motor, and injected mercury through a tap in the chamber wall. And the thing did work. They used up to 31 volume percent of mercury in their runs, and found that at 20 percent they got a 40 percent increase in density impulse. (I had calculated 43.) As they were firing in the middle of the desert, they didn’t bother with the scrubber. And they didn’t poison a single rattlesnake. Technically, the system was a complete success. Practically – that was something else again.

So that's what they did.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Phanatic posted:

Bonus fun: the Navy at one point wanted to experiment with DMM as a rocket propellant.

So that's what they did.

:catstare: Oh hell no.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

CommieGIR posted:

:catstare: Oh hell no.

I should clarify in case it's ambiguous: They wound up using elemental mercury, not dimethyl mercury. Originally they were going to do the test in New Jersey and built a big scrubber system to recapture all of the exhaust and prevent the release of mercury to the environment. But then the program was moved and they tested it out in the desert, where they decided the environment wasn't worth bothering with and didn't use the scrubber.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

MA-Horus posted:

I work in manufacturing QC

ISIS is able to maintain a 0.1mm tolerance on their parts in the middle of a war zone, and they have a documented supply chain qualification system, AND a process management system. ISO auditors would be impressed.

OTOH, most ISO auditors can't hang non-compliant suppliers from lamp posts and set them on fire.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Dead Reckoning posted:

OTOH, most ISO auditors can't hang non-compliant suppliers from lamp posts and set them on fire.

Yet another flaw in ISO 9001.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

100 lbs of dimethyl mercury :magical:

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Is this the right thread to ask about stuff I saw on youtube? I've been watching some us helmet cam footage on, and I want to know, in situations where you can't see the enemy, how do you know it's safe? There was 1 where a convoy of humvees got attacked and the dude was just emptying belts into the forest where he thought they were. Sure at the start there was return fire, but an A10 came along and just kept pounding them over and over and over. Towards the end they started shelling the attackers with mortars in between a10 runs. It was a 10 min video with lots of cuts so I have no idea how long it actually went for, but after the first A10 run there was no return fire.

It looked like they were just shooting bodies at that point, but how do you know? At no point in the video did they actually see any of the attackers. How do they know that as soon as the A10 leaves for fuel and ammo and they get back in their trucks, they won't get shot at again? Obviously they can't walk up and check.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

underage at the vape shop posted:

Is this the right thread to ask about stuff I saw on youtube? I've been watching some us helmet cam footage on, and I want to know, in situations where you can't see the enemy, how do you know it's safe? There was 1 where a convoy of humvees got attacked and the dude was just emptying belts into the forest where he thought they were. Sure at the start there was return fire, but an A10 came along and just kept pounding them over and over and over. Towards the end they started shelling the attackers with mortars in between a10 runs. It was a 10 min video with lots of cuts so I have no idea how long it actually went for, but after the first A10 run there was no return fire.

It looked like they were just shooting bodies at that point, but how do you know? At no point in the video did they actually see any of the attackers. How do they know that as soon as the A10 leaves for fuel and ammo and they get back in their trucks, they won't get shot at again? Obviously they can't walk up and check.

uhh because they dead and gone??

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

A huge percentage of that kind of poo poo is probably some retarded illiterate dirt farmer that got slipped $5 (aka like 3 months' wages) to pop off a couple rounds from a 60 year old AK-47 that was buried in his back yard since the Soviets hosed off. Hell, even if it's some actual legit fighters, what percentage of them do you think weigh their ideology as heavier than a couple thousand rounds of 5.56, 7.62, and .50? gently caress, I'm pretty sure BRRRRT is not only engraved in the cultural consciousness of that entire country but laser etched into the lizard brain of every man, woman, and child. gently caress me, gently caress you, gently caress the Taliban, gently caress the Haqqanis, gently caress Muhammad, gently caress Allah, you can suck my dick from the back if you think I'd stick around if I was still in enough coherent contiguous pieces to locomote the gently caress out of there after that.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Somehow it makes me happy knowing that the US strat is to chuck hundreds and thousands of dollars randomly into a forest where they think some dudes might be and hope the hit.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

At that point it's just chest-thumping and caving in to the adrenaline rush of having been shot at. It's stupid, and squad leaders should be tamping it down.

On the other hand, one time during a dismounted patrol along a wadi, our platoon took a few rounds from the vegetation across the wadi, maybe 150-200m away. Nothing came of it and we quickly got into cover and sent a few rounds back. Nonetheless, our CO, from our FOB ~5 miles north of us, ordered us to remain in place while we wait for 20 minutes so an A-10 could 30mm the poo poo out of that vegetation.

It was fun to watch, but totally pointless. A few bits of vegetation caught fire from the 30mm and everyone started cheering and about the secondary explosions because we had definitely discovered and blown up an ammo cache :rolleyes:

Now that I think about it, encouraging over-compensating responses when TICs are effectively done does serve as a morale booster to Joe and his otherwise total lack of agency on the battlefield.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Remember that a bouncy wide angle GoPro video is not going to give you the same viewing distance and clarity as a pair of eyes. There are plenty of videos where they are clearly seeing enemy fighters off in the distance that aren't visible on camera.

Not to say that the particular video you described isn't guys just dumping rounds into the abyss.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

SAW gunners want to expend rounds so they have less to carry

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

SAW gunners want to expend rounds so they have less to carry

a sisyphean struggle because they're just going to draw more ammo when they get back.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

I'd rather carry the rounds than clean their residue

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Even during WW2 it the ratio of artillery rounds to enemy casualties was crazy. I imagine small arms even more so. If you can get the enemy to leave you in possession of the field, bodycounts don't mean a whole lot.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Ukrainian "sniper rifle" (originally a ZU-23);

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

LostCosmonaut posted:

I wonder what app they're running on their phones that's integrated with that rifle to report their position

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Pesticide20 posted:

I wonder what app they're running on their phones that's integrated with that rifle to report their position
Snipr

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

duck hunt

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/mojobaghdad/status/821726269922537472

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

LostCosmonaut posted:

:stare:

I would LOVE to see some footage. Blimey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

thank mr skeltal