Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
January 10, 2935, started like any other day for those aboard OP Station Demien. Security personnel conducted their routine patrols around the station, but (based on security accounts), everything was quiet. Haulers offloaded supplies and stayed to enjoy a hot meal outside of their ship. Station staff restocked vending machines and reshuffled cargo containers for pick up. Little did they know, a stealth dropship silently drew nearer.

Meanwhile, in the temporary housing habs, the family of Advocacy Agent Emily Walzer received good news. A permanent residence on Lago had been secured for them, and a military transport on a supply run would bring them in the following day. Francis Walzer and his three children had been waiting at OP Station Demien for days. Though they knew the system was still dangerous, sweetheart land deals on Lago offered to government officials and their families were too good to pass up. Now that their lot had been secured, the family could all be together for the first time since Agent Emily Walzer transferred to Lago the previous year.

Following the call with his wife, Francis Walzer sent his son, Arjun, to grab a few bottles of Pips while he read to twins Joyce and Joanne. Arjun rushed out of the hab, as if going faster also accelerated time. Though only fourteen, Arjun wanted to join the Advocacy like his mother. Friends and family described him as observant and endless inquisitive, so the fact that he was the first civilian aboard the station to notice that things weren’t quite right seems fitting. At some point in his journey to the Pips machine, he became aware that the hallways were eerily quiet and that select security doors had been closed and elevators deactivated. Not long after, Arjun spotted the now-famous bloody handprint.

Ten minutes earlier, the station’s security officers had stepped away from their posts for a shift change. It was during that vulnerable window that a small squad of well-armed outlaws took the security team by surprise. Security footage showed that the speed and precision of the attack was such that none of the security officers even had a chance to raise their weapon.

With the station’s security apparatus under their control, additional Horizon Crew ships landed. Assault teams spread across the station, systematically moving from room to room and killing anyone they encountered. Many victims were found executed, a single shot in the back of the head, never knowing what hit them.

Supposedly, the Horizon Crew’s plan was to secretly take over OP Station Demien, fortify and secure it and then use it at a new center for their operations in the Nexus System. Essential to the plan’s success was ensuring that word of their assault didn’t leave the station. It would afford them the time to entrench and notify others that the station was now under their control. It almost happened too, if it hadn’t been for Arjun Walzer and that bloody handprint.

Over 20 different retellings of the Walzer massacre have appeared on the spectrum since this fateful day. Each one uses the iconic image of the bloody handprint that reportedly begins Arjun’s comm to his mother. Incredibly, Arjun stayed on the comm with his mother for nearly 50 minutes. With her guidance, he documented the horrors the Horizon Crew inflicted on the station and evaded the assailants. Arjun’s brave efforts continued until an outlaw noticed an unknown signal coming from the station and decided to hunt it down. Although the final moments of that fateful comm are known only by those who have seen it, there is one word consistently used to describe it: devastating.

Sadly, Arjun’s tragic demise was far from unique, as no one on OP Station Demien during the assault would survive it. Yet, thanks to Arjun’s bravery, local law enforcement officials received word of the assault and launched their counterattack before the Horizon Crew could fully enact their security plan for the entire station. A local militia was first on the scene but had little warning of what awaited them. Within moments of exiting their ships, most militia members found themselves caught in a kill zone. The outlaws’ strategically advantageous position proved to be too much for inexperienced local law enforcement to overcome, making it apparent that the UEE Marines were needed.

The Marine assault to retake OP Station Demien lasted six hours. The battle-hardened Horizon Crew fought for every last inch of space and surface. With nowhere else to go, the Crew knew their plan would either work or be their ultimate demise. Thanks to the Marines, it proved to be the latter. After three years of perceived progress against outlaw elements in the Nexus System, the Walzer Massacre, as it came to be called, was a stark reminder that there was much work still to be done.

Despite its impact on the UEE at the time, the Walzer Massacre is now only the second most famous thing associated with OP Station Demien. Today, it’s better known as a location in the popular video game Star Marine and the recent vid Star Marine 2: BloodLock. This distinction isn’t without controversy, as some believe InterDimension Software intentionally chose to base their game level on the station to stir controversy and receive free publicity for the title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice
I like how WTFO wasn't invited to be on the new show and has to join the game like all the other plebs.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

phosdex posted:

how does lethality have like 4.5k followers yet his tweets usually only get 1 like or whatever? is it all you guys and a bunch of bots

There's only like 100 people in here, and that's being generous. A small room full of people are the boogey men bringing down a $141 million dollar multinational game corporation.

XK fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 13, 2017

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
And no I did not read it all.

And no I did not go look for it.
They keep sending me emails with this poo poo.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

D_Smart posted:

Nope. It's a hobby now. I'm semi-retired and have nothing but time on my hands.

Hell hath no fury like an autistic man who feels he has been personally wronged, has lots of free time, and takes up the response as a hobby.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Inkel posted:

I like how WTFO wasn't invited to be on the new show and has to join the game like all the other plebs.

A whopping 1,200 viewers.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Do you think Ben sounds more like distressed Velcro or a waxed floor when he moves?

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Inkel posted:

Crossposting from the Awful Kickstarters thread in PYF:

https://techcrunch.com/2017/01/12/sf-district-attorney-lawsuit-against-lily-may-have-prompted-refund/
San Francisco District Attorney files lawsuit against drone maker Lily for false advertising

tl;dr drone kickstarter earned $34 million, runs out of money before shipping anything. SFDA opens lawsuit because they used fake pitch videos.

:siren::siren::siren::siren::ducksiren::ducksiren::ducksiren::siren::siren::siren::siren:

quote:

But at some point, you cross over from aspirational to fraudulent, and the DA’s suit alleges that Lily’s video is demonstrably the latter.

Maybe the authorities will look into the hundreds of millions of dollars being paid for literally fake videos that are not representative of the product that is more than two years late?

Fat Shat Sings fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 13, 2017

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Inkel posted:

Crossposting from the Awful Kickstarters thread in PYF:

https://techcrunch.com/2017/01/12/sf-district-attorney-lawsuit-against-lily-may-have-prompted-refund/
San Francisco District Attorney files lawsuit against drone maker Lily for false advertising

tl;dr drone kickstarter earned $34 million, runs out of money before shipping anything. SFDA opens lawsuit because they used fake pitch videos.

quote:

quote:
There’s also a slightly technical issue that forms a second front in the DA’s lawsuit: the fact that they went with an independent “pre-order” strategy rather than an established crowdfunded development site like Kickstarter. That makes Lily’s money qualify more on the side of internet sales than investment in an idea (something Kickstarter and its projects are always careful to explain), which exposed the company to certain consumer protection laws.

One, the FTC’s Mail Order Rule, required that, if a pre-ordered product is seriously delayed, the company must issue refunds unless customers indicate they don’t mind the wait. Lily certainly must qualify as having encountered long delays — from February 2016 to “later in 2017” — but refunds were not issued at large.

Yup. This is precisely what I had said was going to happen to Star Citizen if they fail to deliver. Just wait.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

D_Smart posted:

Yup. This is precisely what I had said was going to happen to Star Citizen if they fail to deliver. Just wait.

And wait, and wait, and.... wait? We've been waiting since your BLOG man. C'mon already!

ManofManyAliases fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 13, 2017

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

XK posted:

There's only like 100 people in here, and that's being generous. A small room full of people are the boogey men bringing down a $141 million dollar multinational game corporation.

Derek Smart is their Baba Yaga.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

ManofManyAliases posted:

And wait, and wait, and.... wait? We've been waiting since your BLOG man. C'mon already!
[/quote]

Holy poo poo I agree with moma

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Hav posted:

'IT' terrified me, mainly because I used to bike/walk to a job in the next village and the drains would gurgle. Couple that with English fog and a teenage imagination and you get glutes of steel from the fast walk. 'Christine' was a seminal work of characterisation, making the evil somehow familiar and homely, and tapping into that feeling you get when you lose your friends to a girl. 'The Shining' was creeping horror and the subversion of hopes and dreams.

'Misery' is a masterwork of creeping terror actually made better by the movie, IMO.

In short, I loving love a good Stephen King novel, but the Dark Tower series made me want to punch a pug in it's adorable little face. I mean a loving pug, man.

The clenching helped

Dark Tower :negative:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Called it!!

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/819977559031083008

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Man that stream is bad, you can watch 3 people at once play a game and none of them are having any fun.

Their game is all sizzle, no sausage.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

ManofManyAliases posted:

They did, and then they didn't. And you either agreed to this, or you didn't. Honestly? They got creative with the TOS and played around with delivery dates to suit themselves. So what. Don't like it? Get your money back and move on.

or don't

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

ManofManyAliases posted:

Old news Derek. Is this how your book will read? 768 pages of "This is how we I got there?"

If We Got There: Confessions Of The Warlord

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

D_Smart posted:

Called it!!

Some people got a bit of time off in lieu it would appear. Two weeks into January *waiting* for people to come back in (ie not 'executive').

Thoatse posted:

The clenching helped

The fog, the dark, the gurgling drains that you'd pass, swearing there was a voice on the edge of the gurgle...

*walks faster*

ManofManyAliases posted:

As long as they can point to an MVP, they have a deliverable...

...but they just refined the goals for 2017. You should consider a refund.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

ManofManyAliases posted:

They did, and then they didn't. And you either agreed to this, or you didn't. Honestly? They got creative with the TOS and played around with delivery dates to suit themselves. So what. Don't like it? Get your money back and move on.

:allears:

I like you moma, there's nothing quite like you in this grand tapestry of rhyme and 'verse

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
https://www.twitch.tv/starcitizen

happy friday :effort:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ManofManyAliases posted:

quote:

The lawsuit is the result of several months of investigation, a statement from the DA’s office explained.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

(Waits 4 plus years for a video game after dumping a bunch of money into it, is willing to wait a couple more) COME ON DEREK STOP MAKING ME WAIT.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

That doesn't say anything about alien languages. It's almost like they wrote the subject line first, couldn't figure out what to put in the body, then forgot what they had put in the subject.

I've done that before.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

ManofManyAliases posted:

You paid an attorney and got an unsigned letter? drat.

Derek: you are not ... owed .. a n y t h i n g. Zilch. Nada. CIG doesn't have to release poo poo. No accounting, no financials. Nothing.

Do me a favor ok? If you honestly, really REALLY feel that they violated the law, please go get an attorney, sue them for refunding you and not offering you an accounting. Or please file a complaint with FBI, or FTC, or whoever else you think will help. But this word-salad crusade you engage everyday is reallllllly old now dude.

You got your refund tossed back in your face. I can see how that made you mad. But it's in the past my friend.

Did MoMA just toss Derek's word salad?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Talking of space games that actually exist, I'm enjoying watching a guy streaming E:D at the moment using VR: https://www.twitch.tv/cohhcarnage

It's really impressive how this game looks these days. It looks like it'd be amazing in VR. Star Citizen is so far from the mark with it's "animation first" head controls. It's incredible that they're going about it in precisely the opposite way that you need to in a simulator with VR support.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
I can confirm the LA DA and FTC are both conducting initial investigations and collecting stories from refunded people. This was outright confirmed to me by Anthony Wai when I spoke with him regarding my refund. That was back in Sept and earlier.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

XK posted:

That doesn't say anything about alien languages. It's almost like they wrote the subject line first, couldn't figure out what to put in the body, then forgot what they had put in the subject.

I've done that before.

It's so generic it's almost completely unreadable. I love that they stick Crizzer's name on all of these though

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

XK posted:

I've done that before.

Yeah, I noticed that as well. It's what happens when you start off with lies. Then lose track.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Thronde posted:

I can confirm the LA DA and FTC are both conducting initial investigations and collecting stories from refunded people. This was outright confirmed to me by Anthony Wai when I spoke with him regarding my refund. That was back in Sept and earlier.

Yeah, we know. Ignore MoMa. He's in denial as always.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Huh. Looks like someone's becoming self-aware.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Taking a break from the MoMA roasting....

Read this. You'll die laughing.

http://www.bet.com/news/national/2017/01/12/black-student-trolls-white-students-who-ask-for-his-seat.html

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

ManofManyAliases posted:

It only took ~$35M a year to make Derek look so foolish. Money well spent imo.

MilesK fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 13, 2017

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

MilesK posted:

It only took ~$35M a years to make Derek look so foolish. Money well spent imo.

I'm seriously considering getting a refund on the money I paid Derek for his book.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

MilesK posted:

It only took ~$35M a years to make Derek look so foolish. Money well spent imo.

I see what you did there :grin:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Sunswipe posted:

I'm seriously considering getting a refund on the money I paid Derek for his book.

No refunds! Didn't you read the cast-iron ToS? :yosbutt:

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

ManofManyAliases posted:

You paid an attorney and got an unsigned letter? drat.

Derek: you are not ... owed .. a n y t h i n g. Zilch. Nada. CIG doesn't have to release poo poo. No accounting, no financials. Nothing.

Do me a favor ok? If you honestly, really REALLY feel that they violated the law, please go get an attorney, sue them for refunding you and not offering you an accounting. Or please file a complaint with FBI, or FTC, or whoever else you think will help. But this word-salad crusade you engage everyday is reallllllly old now dude.

You got your refund tossed back in your face. I can see how that made you mad. But it's in the past my friend.

well u spent all that time on a tos that was invalid so drat.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Star Citizen: the hangin titty with no nipple is Q

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

XK posted:

I've done that before.

I was thinking the same thing while reading it.

Also the have a "production schedule" so vague and up in the air that once 2.6 shipped they don't have any idea what they're doing until Chris flys around the world going to face to face meetings., so what exactly are they working on now?

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

ManofManyAliases posted:

Maybe he should make a trailer with footage of legal action from 2014 and some clearly prerendered, not in engine footage along with a blog presale (war-bonded fresh cash only)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Stuff that didn't happen, in 50 tweets.

https://i.imgur.com/IOyGbe0.gifv