Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

PleasantDirge posted:

What's your disposable income look like? I traded $60 worth of magic cards for a case of booster pack codes and you can do the same if you're willing to st. Cloud it up and just pay .50-.75 cents a pack. Shaymin EX go for 18-25 SR packs so $17.50 ea @ .75 per sr pack. I haven't successfully done it yet but my dream is to trade paper cards for codes and double dip on good sealed product because I'm far too old to play this game f2f with anyone.

That being said, there are a couple good decks that don't use Shaymin in standard right now. Yanmega break is one that I really like that requires a bit of finesse but not super Deep Pockets to play. Check the official website for deck lists, that's where I got my greninja break list from worlds this year but I think London was the most recent event.
I've actually been experimenting with a beedrill ex I was able to trade for cheap and a free yanmega break I got in a booster. It's been fun. In free stuff I got initially I also got one xerneas break and two full art Magearna Ex's, so I'm trying to decide what good stuff I can build with either of the two. Might do a budget Xerneas rainbow deck with Octillery instead of Shaymin. It's been going a lot better since that tournament for me, saving up my tickets rn, but gonna enter some more tournaments soon to trade for more stuff. I'm also going to use the extra tokens from vs. until Dec 31 to try to open as many roaring sky packs as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

bigperm posted:

I've got two Mewtwo ex mega cards that aren't tradable... Is that worth trying to build a deck around?

If anyone is interested the answer to this is most definitely. I haven't faced any decent decks yet but I'm absolutely steamrolling everything else.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Started playing this again after several months. I really didn't have any focused decks and any deck I had was just cobbled together with whatever pokemon & items I had and never really felt like I was getting enough with what I had. Found a budget bisharp deck that I've been enjoying a lot though. People don't expect their EX's to get hit for 200 with 1 energy!

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Started playing this again after several months. I really didn't have any focused decks and any deck I had was just cobbled together with whatever pokemon & items I had and never really felt like I was getting enough with what I had. Found a budget bisharp deck that I've been enjoying a lot though. People don't expect their EX's to get hit for 200 with 1 energy!
I've been running Carbink BREAK/Zygarde Ex. Had a few people quit after a turn or two cuz they have no way to deal with Carbink cuz all their pokemon are EX pokemon. Pretty sweet.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Post a deck list? I feel like budget pokemon decks are actually p abundant they are just less discussed than whatever mega pokemon deck is flavor of the week.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

PleasantDirge posted:

Post a deck list? I feel like budget pokemon decks are actually p abundant they are just less discussed than whatever mega pokemon deck is flavor of the week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hmVZqaNxGc

http://pastebin.com/y1fA7QMt

Some of the cards you might have difficulty trading for if you dont have packs like octillery or the mew.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Some of the cards you might have difficulty trading for if you dont have packs like octillery or the mew.

I dunno, after getting a quote for 175 packs for the non poke part of legacy darkrai I think anything under 20 packs is pretty budget and decks up to 100 are just normal good decks but I'm new here so that might be crazy

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I don't have the Mew and I only have 1 Pawniard/Bisharp, but I think I have most of the rest. Looks pretty cool. Might try it out. I also saw this budget deck that I kind of want to build:

http://darkintegralgaming.com/decklist/2016/10/13/typhlosion-talonflame-deck

I don't have any of the Pokémon at all, but seems pretty fun and pretty ridiculous. I pulled a Xerneas BREAK and wanted to build a deck around it, but it's pretty expensive to get multiple Xerneas BREAK for a deck.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

PleasantDirge posted:

I dunno, after getting a quote for 175 packs for the non poke part of legacy darkrai I think anything under 20 packs is pretty budget and decks up to 100 are just normal good decks but I'm new here so that might be crazy

True, I think anything that doesn't run shaymin EX can be called budget because that poo poo is worth like what, 50 ROS packs?

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Sultan Tarquin posted:

True, I think anything that doesn't run shaymin EX can be called budget because that poo poo is worth like what, 50 ROS packs?

I think closer to 25-30 ROS Packs, but like 70 EVO packs. I've opened 71 ROS packs from coins and haven't gotten one yet. Here's another budget deck from DarkIntegral who has a video if you want to see it. Camerupt Ex is the latest ladder prize, and you can easily get Volcanions from the Gears of Fire theme deck. Volcanion Ex's can be pretty cheap too, especially if you get the promos.

##Pokémon - 12

* 2 Camerupt-EX PRC 29
* 4 Volcanion STS 25
* 2 Volcanion-EX STS 115
* 2 Remoraid BKT 32
* 2 Octillery BKT 33

##Trainer Cards - 34

* 4 Professor Sycamore STS 114
* 1 Town Map BKT 150
* 2 Switch PRC 163
* 1 Olympia GEN 66
* 3 Ultra Ball FLF 99
* 1 Super Rod BKT 149
* 3 Max Elixir BKP 102
* 3 Fighting Fury Belt BKP 99
* 1 Float Stone PLF 99
* 1 Pokémon Center Lady FLF 105
* 4 VS Seeker ROS 110
* 3 Scorched Earth FAC 110
* 4 N FAC 105
* 2 Lysandre FLF 104
* 1 Level Ball NXD 89

##Energy - 14

* 4 Burning Energy BKT 151
* 10 Fire Energy Energy 2

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online https://www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

I've got 7.5k coins from the Christmas Vs rewards and was thinking of buying ROS but I might just save for when sun/moon comes out. I got a full art Volcanion EX today..in real life. Visit a game hobby shop in my town which I only found out about recently and it's cool. They're doing a SuMo pre-release tournament later this month too which I'll probably go to.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Apparently if you buy the new bundle in the shop you don't get either Kyurem or packs of plasma freeze. You get 3 Breakpoint packs instead. So don't buy it. New Kanto starter sleeves/deck box are hella cute though! I could've bought 2 sets. Bought 4 more roaring skies packs. Got 2 EX's I don't care about.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

I'm never not going to use the bright pink Sylveon card backs I got yonks ago :haw:

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010
For the paper version, is there anything like Deckbox is for magic? I want a way to track which cards I have in my collection, and maybe build decks? I havent seen anything like that

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

http://pokegym.net/decklist/ something like this maybe?

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009

Shaymin EX should be 25 packs of RS tops, I see them in public trade for 18-24 rs packs, but getting the rs packs is the problem. I have 2-3 boxes of packs worth .5 towards a shaymin but I'd rather buy into legacy at this point. I was thinking darkrai ex but if anyone has any recommendations that don't involve celebi prime or tropical beach I'm all ears.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
I'm up to 2 Shaymins from opening ROS packs. I doubt if I've opened 20 of them yet. :smug:

Balling out of control here.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

bigperm posted:

I'm up to 2 Shaymins from opening ROS packs. I doubt if I've opened 20 of them yet. :smug:

Balling out of control here.

I hate you so much. I'm past 70 with 0. I just want two...

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009

Fritzler posted:

I hate you so much. I'm past 70 with 0. I just want two...

I'm at 1 shaymin in about 25 or so RoS packs. I'm prob going to buy at least 1 box to open and get pack codes and 1 box to keep for later from the reprint run.

Anyone interested in going in on a case of RoS?

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

The Ex Pokémon for thieves ladder is very good: Landorous-Ex. He's only legal in expanded and legacy, but still awesome. The other cards aren't bad (archeops, donphan). On a very related note - does anyone who has been playing for longer have extra copies of Korrina or Focus Sash that they would like to trade me? I have some Evolutions packs and a random smattering of other packs.

Also super happy news: on ROS pack 97 I got a Shaymin!

Fritzler fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 13, 2017

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009

Fritzler posted:

The Ex Pokémon for thieves ladder is very good: Landorous-Ex. He's only legal in expanded and legacy, but still awesome. The other cards aren't bad (archeops, donphan). On a very related note - does anyone who has been playing for longer have extra copies of Korrina or Focus Sash that they would like to trade me? I have some Evolutions packs and a random smattering of other packs.

Also super happy news: on ROS pack 97 I got a Shaymin!

I def have a korrina for you, got any FC packs?

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

PleasantDirge posted:

I think I have 1, I'll check when I get home. If not I have 32 tickets and will go through them this weekend.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

PleasantDirge posted:

Right now I have 2 Fates Collide, 2 Emerging Powers, 3 Ancient Origins, 1 Steam Seige for trade. I can try to trade for some others. Uncommon trainers I'm looking for:

1 Korrina, 2 Puzzle of Time, 4 Focus Sash, 2 Magnetic Storm. Any deal you can make for those?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

I just got the secret rare Mewtwo EX..from the daily login pack so its trade locked :cripes:

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009

Fritzler posted:

Right now I have 2 Fates Collide, 2 Emerging Powers, 3 Ancient Origins, 1 Steam Seige for trade. I can try to trade for some others. Uncommon trainers I'm looking for:

1 Korrina, 2 Puzzle of Time, 4 Focus Sash, 2 Magnetic Storm. Any deal you can make for those?

I wish I had more but I only have 1 Korrina and 1 magnetic storm, I can do both for 1 AO and 1 FC pack NP. IGN: Nosferatusoon I just put both up for trade

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I just got the secret rare Mewtwo EX..from the daily login pack so its trade locked

I know it kind of feels bad at first because you can't trade it but really the pokemon people just gave you a free Mewtwo EX to use whenever you want to, in Vs ladder games, tournament events, against your friends, all for the price of logging in today to play the game. It's actually at least mildly cool to pretty awesome imo

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

PleasantDirge posted:

I wish I had more but I only have 1 Korrina and 1 magnetic storm, I can do both for 1 AO and 1 FC pack NP. IGN: Nosferatusoon I just put both up for trade

Would you do those two for 1 of those packs?

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009

Fritzler posted:

Would you do those two for 1 of those packs?

whats your IGN? I can prob do it for the ao pack and a loose spare poke you have

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

PleasantDirge posted:

whats your IGN? I can prob do it for the ao pack and a loose spare poke you have
FunkmasterFritz. Just sent you a friend request.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009

Fritzler posted:

FunkmasterFritz. Just sent you a friend request.

sent a trade your way. And if anyone is on tonight and wants to jam some games just shoot me a msg

PleasantDirge fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jan 16, 2017

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

PleasantDirge posted:

sent a trade your way. And if anyone is on tonight and wants to jam some games just shoot me a msg
Accepted! I just got some free Evolutions packs from the ladder. I made out like a bandit. FA Mewtwo Ex, 2 Machamp Breaks, FA Pidgeot Ex, and Regular Dragonite Ex. Not the best cards ever, but now I feel really obligated to make a Machamp BREAK deck. There goes all my luck for Sun and Moon boosters (only really want Lurantis GX but still).

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009

Fritzler posted:

Accepted! I just got some free Evolutions packs from the ladder. I made out like a bandit. FA Mewtwo Ex, 2 Machamp Breaks, FA Pidgeot Ex, and Regular Dragonite Ex. Not the best cards ever, but now I feel really obligated to make a Machamp BREAK deck. There goes all my luck for Sun and Moon boosters (only really want Lurantis GX but still).

Machamp break is def more sweet than powerful but it forces some mental math gymnastics that will cost your OP the game if they gently caress it up. Its tier 2-3 but carbink is for reals and so is Lucario/regirock EX paired with special fighting energy and your choice of a fighting fury belt or muscle arm band. I think you will enjoy piloting it.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

drat gotta wait 12 days for the sun & moon packs to get unlocked. Went 2 - 5 at the pre-release tournament but got a full art solgaleo GX and a lapras GX :haw:

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Nice! I haven't played a pre-release since breakpoint. Have the changes made it more fun? I remember people would just cheese the deckbuilding if they pulled an ex, by just playing that and 39 energies.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Elblanco posted:

Nice! I haven't played a pre-release since breakpoint. Have the changes made it more fun? I remember people would just cheese the deckbuilding if they pulled an ex, by just playing that and 39 energies.

Yeah it was pretty great. you got a semi random 22 card deck with 2 types and 4 boosters. I got fighting/psychic with the oranguru holo and crobat absolutely destroyed if you could get it set up. It being my first time playing I lost like 3 rounds by forgetting to play my prize cards at the start.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Crobat_(Sun_%26_Moon_56)

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

So, I mostly played PTCGO in the halcyon days of Shiftry and traded for most of the big splashy staples back then (tropical beaches, shaymin, generic trainers etc).

I'm pretty out of the loop these days, and currently play an Archie's Ace Blastoise extended deck.

I'm mostly a Magic player, so I play pokemon mostly for the bullshit complicated combo decks. Is Blastoise still my best bet? Or is there a new king of ten+ minute turns?

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

inkmoth posted:

So, I mostly played PTCGO in the halcyon days of Shiftry and traded for most of the big splashy staples back then (tropical beaches, shaymin, generic trainers etc).

I'm pretty out of the loop these days, and currently play an Archie's Ace Blastoise extended deck.

I'm mostly a Magic player, so I play pokemon mostly for the bullshit complicated combo decks. Is Blastoise still my best bet? Or is there a new king of ten+ minute turns?
If we're going Expanded, Night March can take a while to get through its initial Battle Compressor set-up turn, presuming it does not get item-locked, while still hitting hard. Other fun options include the multi-Energy attachments of Turbo Darkrai and Despair Ray-focused Mega Gardevoir builds.

Lorak fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 24, 2017

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Yeah it was pretty great. you got a semi random 22 card deck with 2 types and 4 boosters. I got fighting/psychic with the oranguru holo and crobat absolutely destroyed if you could get it set up. It being my first time playing I lost like 3 rounds by forgetting to play my prize cards at the start.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.neta/wiki/Crobat_(Sun_%26_Moon_56)

Sick pulls! Are the rules really that strict at pre release??? I get its a procedural rules violation but for God's sake it's a pre-release, don't they just have an allowance for shuffling up and then dealing your prize cards and beginning the game? This is why computer based tcg play will always be superior, except time clocks, gently caress that noise.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

To be fair it was a few turns in when it happened and I wasn't the only one who forgot to do it.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009

Sultan Tarquin posted:

To be fair it was a few turns in when it happened and I wasn't the only one who forgot to do it.

I would forget too, I only play online BC its super free and I thoroughly enjoy having that kind of thing automated for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
What are the good theme decks to spring for at the minute? I can't find Dark Hammer in the store now so was wondering if anyone had recommendations or just go for the one with the best trainers or pick 2 of the same type and mash them together.

• Locked thread