Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

ExplodingSims posted:

. I mean, after all, I deal with this stuff on a daily basis:

Just out of interest, a 'BJ Wholesale Club' isn't what I think it is, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

spog posted:

No, it isn't Starbucks :v:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

ExplodingSims posted:

Anyways, yeah the LQ4 probably will be the engine of choice. Seems reasonable, I know it fits, not terribly expensive, etc, etc.

I just took the Escalade out today for the first time in over a month. After driving a 6 cylinder Toyota since then, getting into a big truck with a LQ9 is a damned treat.

There is nothing shameful about Automotive Sanity when it comes to using an LS motor for any damned thing.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Get an LS and have Fuzzkill help you junkyard super or turbocharge it.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Wrar posted:

Get an LS and have Fuzzkill help you junkyard super or turbocharge it.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

spog posted:

If you think it's a 3rd rate wholesale club that I have not idea how it stays in business, then you're totally right!

Seminal Flu posted:

I just took the Escalade out today for the first time in over a month. After driving a 6 cylinder Toyota since then, getting into a big truck with a LQ9 is a damned treat.

There is nothing shameful about Automotive Sanity when it comes to using an LS motor for any damned thing.

That's what it's looking like it'll be, the boring, if reliable and well documented choice.
At least parts and aftermarket support will be cheap and plentiful with that choice,

Still, turbo V8 Diesel '50s dump truck would be a hell of a thing...

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Inline 14 or bust. :colbert:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Fermented Tinal posted:

Just full up the whole back of the truck with a giant V16 quad turbo diesel, fill the entire engine bay with a super beefy V-drive.

Leave the driveshaft through the cab exposed :getin:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

We're going the wrong way. Can't you get monster 500ci single or 2 cylinder tractor engines? Blow that.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Fermented Tinal posted:

How about a Briggs and Stratton I6?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m95rv5MS5A

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
An Olds LF9 is the obvious answer

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

cakesmith handyman posted:

We're going the wrong way. Can't you get monster 500ci single or 2 cylinder tractor engines? Blow that.

I'm liking the John Deere imagery here.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

That's just garbage with couplers on the cranks. This is some real poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRX3VWWGr30

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I don't know poo poo about engines to suggest but I wanted to thank everyone involved in this thread for an amazing read and I'm really interested to see how (or if) the journey resolves in a couple months, not to mention whatever ultimately happens.

At 36 I'm just getting into cars after more or less just seeing them as a utility to get from one place to the other for the last 20 years of driving (beyond demanding a stick shift) so it's pretty fun to learn poo poo and get excited from people who know more about this than I ever will and are really into it.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
DT360, OBS era Powerstroke, or comedy turbo IDI or P pump 12 valve.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

shortspecialbus posted:

I don't know poo poo about engines to suggest but I wanted to thank everyone involved in this thread for an amazing read and I'm really interested to see how (or if) the journey resolves in a couple months, not to mention whatever ultimately happens.

At 36 I'm just getting into cars after more or less just seeing them as a utility to get from one place to the other for the last 20 years of driving (beyond demanding a stick shift) so it's pretty fun to learn poo poo and get excited from people who know more about this than I ever will and are really into it.

Posts like this are some of the best part of the feelgood thread of 2016. Seeing someone pop up and go "I know fuckall about cars but I've been inspired by this man to go do poo poo" is so heartwarming that it's almost painful.

Last Friday, my old Ford Ranger's instrument cluster decided to spaz out, so I got ready to call my mechanic, but then thought "Hang on, I just (sort of) watched a man freeze his balls off out in a field in the Midwest fixing up a truck; I can at least take a drat look at the thing if 14" can do that.

So, I did.

Sunday evening, I'm sitting on the front porch with an iced tea, coated in engine grime up to my elbows, wearing the biggest poo poo-eating grin. Sure, it was just hunting down some frayed wiring, but I did it, and as a bonus, I replaced a broken vacuum hose I noticed while I was in there. Can't tell you what the gently caress it went to, but goddamn it, I fixed it, and she runs great now.

Thank you again, 14" and everyone who helped along the way. Looking forward to the triumphant return to Fury Road.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Fuckin' same same. My buddies Jeep pissed coolant everywhere. He was so broke so we just manned up and fixed it. The water pump is a super basic fix on a TJ Wrangler but that didn't stop us feeling like supermen when it fired up with no leaks and now runs like a champ. It's such a fun and satisfying experience

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

slothrop posted:

Fuckin' same same. My buddies Jeep pissed coolant everywhere. He was so broke so we just manned up and fixed it. The water pump is a super basic fix on a TJ Wrangler but that didn't stop us feeling like supermen when it fired up with no leaks and now runs like a champ. It's such a fun and satisfying experience

A Jeep with a 4.0 is a fantastic vehicle to learn wrenching on. My first car was a 92' Cherokee, (which I still have) and I practically rebuilt that thing over the years.
But cheap parts + easy to work on makes for a fine learning car.

ExplodingSims fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jan 20, 2017

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Posts like this are some of the best part of the feelgood thread of 2016. Seeing someone pop up and go "I know fuckall about cars but I've been inspired by this man to go do poo poo" is so heartwarming that it's almost painful.

Last Friday, my old Ford Ranger's instrument cluster decided to spaz out, so I got ready to call my mechanic, but then thought "Hang on, I just (sort of) watched a man freeze his balls off out in a field in the Midwest fixing up a truck; I can at least take a drat look at the thing if 14" can do that.

So, I did.

Sunday evening, I'm sitting on the front porch with an iced tea, coated in engine grime up to my elbows, wearing the biggest poo poo-eating grin. Sure, it was just hunting down some frayed wiring, but I did it, and as a bonus, I replaced a broken vacuum hose I noticed while I was in there. Can't tell you what the gently caress it went to, but goddamn it, I fixed it, and she runs great now.

Thank you again, 14" and everyone who helped along the way. Looking forward to the triumphant return to Fury Road.

I mean, I took auto shop in high school and I've done oil changes and replaced pretty much every part of disc brakes, starters, alternators, etc and I can do basic troubleshooting and such. But it was never an interest, just a necessity because I was too broke to pay for repairs.

I bought a new WRX this year and the basic stuff I've been doing on it has been for the first time FUN, and I'm interested in learning more. My wife has been getting an interest too and really wants to fix up an old rear end pickup truck, so this thread was right up my alley. This thread, more than any other AI thread I've seen, just oozes passion and should get almost anyone excited about this poo poo.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I like the idea of taking a 67 and bolting on 88 running gear. The body style is boring though. The 88 cradle just bolts right in. Yes same bolt holes. Then you can just buy $10 loaded calipers and things that fit on a million unit per year GM truck..

SPORK08
Sep 29, 2003
wagon-core

ExplodingSims posted:

A Jeep with a 6.0 is a fantastic vehicle to learn wrenching on. My first car was a 92' Cherokee, (which I still have) and I practically rebuilt that thing over the years.
But cheap parts + easy to work on makes for a fine learning car.

I wish I had a jeep with a 6.0

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Same, but the loving junkyards around here have been LQ4-bare for months. :argh:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I kinda regret getting rid of mine, then I remember that my CVPI has a floor.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis
Sorry for the getting anyone's hopes up for a relevant content update post, but I just went back and reread page #1 and it is fantastic how quickly this thing took shape.

I can't wait to see phase 2.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

ExplodingSims posted:

*Points at thread title* :mad:

Anyways, yeah the LQ4 probably will be the engine of choice. Seems reasonable, I know it fits, not terribly expensive, etc, etc. But, the others aren't ruled out yet. First of all I need to get the truck back so I can see what will fit, and I probably will be driving it around with the L05 in it for a while, just to have it and get used to it before I go full resto-mod on it. But at least I've got some idea of what to be looking for now.

I do like the Dmax option, looks like its got pretty good HP and torque, and it doesn't look like it's super huge, (At least compared to some of the other suggestions) and I'm not really afraid of dealing with wiring. As long as I've got a decent wiring diagram it's just running new wires to make them fit in their new body. I mean, after all, I deal with this stuff on a daily basis:

But hey, this is still a while out til I get super serious about trying to find something. So maybe I'll be able to get my hands on a cheap truck by then!

OK since this thread was bumped, just curious, what are those all controlling? They're solid state relays, right?

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

CharlesM posted:

OK since this thread was bumped, just curious, what are those all controlling? They're solid state relays, right?

sweet mercy I am bad at photoshop and that is an obscure reference

slothrop fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Feb 27, 2017

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

slothrop posted:

That's a loving awesome reference, is what you meant to say.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
If that's an obscure reference, I feel old.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

and I say to myself
I need exact change

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

That IS exact change, jerkface!

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
daddy needs his medicine

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Jesus just when I think it ain't possible ai bests itself once again.

I love Sealab and I love y'all.

Carry on.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

slothrop posted:

The very best episode of Sealab.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

therobit posted:

The very best episode of Sealab.

That's all of them until Hank Goz died.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
So true. Loved the one that aired as a normal episode of Sealab until the end when it all blew up.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Pod Six is jerks.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Yeah, but isn't the pro shop in pod six?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I hereby declare Martian law.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
this is the best derail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hugh G. Rectum