Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morby
Sep 6, 2007

there wolf posted:

John Lewis doing the nerd circuit for March is one of many reasons I'm disappointed to live just outside his district. National loving treasure.

Yeah, even my white Libertarian friends respect Rep. Lewis even if they do not politically agree with him. I am glad he is giving voice to my exact thoughts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Proud of my Rep, Barbara Lee, who both is boycotting the Trump inauguration and also refused to certify his election:

http://www.eastbayexpress.com/Seven...ral-college-win

For those that don't remember, she was also was the only member of Congress to vote against the AUMF in the Global War on Terror because ""It was a blank check to the president to attack anyone involved in the September 11 events—anywhere, in any country, without regard to our nation's long-term foreign policy, economic and national security interests, and without time limit. In granting these overly broad powers, the Congress failed its responsibility to understand the dimensions of its declaration.... "

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Either john Lewis is a time traveler or he gets weeping angeled by his enemies. :ohdear:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

MariusLecter posted:

Either john Lewis is a time traveler or he gets weeping angeled by his enemies. :ohdear:

Well, I've never seen him blink...

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
Let me know if this is not a thing you would like to see in this space but I was doing my weekly Extremely Pissed Off Right Wingers round up and I found this comment that caught my eye.

e: Ok, my apologies again, nothing here.

Defenestration fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jan 14, 2017

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

From the OP:

7. RAGE FODDER

'Rage fodder' is oppressive memes or posts that will simply trigger and enrage group members without purpose. These threads are generally not productive, and are not conducive to a safe space. If you *have* to share something like this, please put the image(s) in the comments and explain how it makes you feel and what you need the group's help with when working through those emotions. You can also post the image via tumblr or imgur.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Fluffdaddy posted:

From the OP:

7. RAGE FODDER

'Rage fodder' is oppressive memes or posts that will simply trigger and enrage group members without purpose. These threads are generally not productive, and are not conducive to a safe space. If you *have* to share something like this, please put the image(s) in the comments and explain how it makes you feel and what you need the group's help with when working through those emotions. You can also post the image via tumblr or imgur.
Ok, I apologize, I should have read the rules again (I read them when the thread started I swear)

I thought that the comment itself might have some interesting psychology to discuss behind it but if people disagree I'll edit that out too.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
If you really want to post it, take it over to the crazy political forwards thread, the thread built for such things.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Chancellor Williams wrote a book called Destruction of a Black Civilization which details the historical significance of egyptian civilian in african history. The term black is an invention that didn't exist in ancient history (AFAIK) but the people of africa are the ancestors of who would be called black now.

As for people asking about the casting in the Michael Jackson film, I would like to know why a producer would cast an white/european actor in a biographical film about a black person?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Fluffdaddy posted:

From the OP:

7. RAGE FODDER

that is a very good rule

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

420 Gank Mid posted:

Because 90% of 'Egyptology' and other associated 'sciences' are Victorian Era white supremacy at its finest.

Excuse me?

remusclaw posted:

P1 "Come on everybody, can't we just get beyond seeing color?"
P2 "Ancient Egyptians were black"
P1 "Bullshit!!!!!"
P1 "And furthermore...."

People tend to react badly to outright nonsense, yes. The Ancient Egyptians were not black by any meaningful modern definition. They looked like the population of modern Egypt which is unsurprising because modern Egyptians are their descendants. Claiming they were "black" is as factually wrong as claiming they were "white".

EDIT: And the Ancient Egyptians did in fact use different colors for non-racial reasons such as differentiating genders. They also used different tones to represent different ethnic groups, of course, and they notably differentiated themselves from the Nubian peoples by giving them a darker skin tone in paintings.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jan 14, 2017

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Excuse me?

People tend to react badly to outright nonsense, yes. The Ancient Egyptians were not black by any meaningful modern definition. They looked like the population of modern Egypt which is unsurprising because modern Egyptians are their descendants. Claiming they were "black" is as factually wrong as claiming they were "white".

EDIT: And the Ancient Egyptians did in fact use different colors for non-racial reasons such as differentiating genders. They also used different tones to represent different ethnic groups, of course, and they notably differentiated themselves from the Nubian peoples by giving them a darker skin tone in paintings.

You do know black people are not just sub saharan africans but northern africans as well right?

This is the first post you decide to make in this thread? Really?

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
Like, sure, terms like 'black' and 'white' are mostly social constructs invented to justify a system of in-group (white) supremacy, so I can see why someone might consider the terms anachronisms as applied here. That said, if the classical greeks (and basically all of 'western civilization' (lol)) are going to be claimed by white people, then I don't see why the ancient Egyptians aren't black.

(especially since the conversation around which civilizations 'get' to be black is almost by definition taking place in the context of white supremacy)

Gato The Elder fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jan 14, 2017

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

I don't think it is helpful to just drag all these ancient civilizations (which have people that still exist now, right now) into some white/black dichotomy, but its good to call out people that try to make out ancient civilization just about "white civilization" since ancient Mediterranean is definitely a much more complex society than just white people in togas or whatever.

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jan 14, 2017

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
my g/f's dad is black and he believes in p. much all the conspiracy theories out there, chemtrails, reptilians, jews being cannibalistic devil worshipers, there's a space station inside the moon, asteroid belt being remains of huge war in our solar system between jupiter and saturn, our heart has moved to the other side of our body, liver been enlarged, 9/11 was a demolition job, some freeman on the land stuff like there's an account linked to your person with lots of money that was financed by ghadaffi or something...

it's hard work sometimes.

I'll ask him about aliens making the pyramids next time I see him.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

JFairfax posted:

my g/f's dad is black and he believes in p. much all the conspiracy theories out there, chemtrails, reptilians, jews being cannibalistic devil worshipers, there's a space station inside the moon, asteroid belt being remains of huge war in our solar system between jupiter and saturn, our heart has moved to the other side of our body, liver been enlarged, 9/11 was a demolition job, some freeman on the land stuff like there's an account linked to your person with lots of money that was financed by ghadaffi or something...

it's hard work sometimes.

I'll ask him about aliens making the pyramids next time I see him.

Could you also ask him about this one? Like, who put it there and what are they doing with it? Asking for some friends.

Secret friends.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
e: misread the post, my bad

\/\/\/ah, things will go well for you here\/\/\/

Majorian fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jan 14, 2017

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe
"White white black white black white white white whiteness blackness white white white black black black black white white"

-an anti-racist.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!

OwlFancier posted:

Casting black people to play white historical figures is a great idea if only because of the apparent existential crisis it gives some people.

Speaking as a Swede. Some racists over here complete lost their mind over a black guy playing Heimdall in the Thor movie. Because Norse mythology is their last bastion of all whiteness and toxic masculinity.

I asked how a completely fictional character based on fiction to begin with could have any race. The response went from the simple "white religion, white gods" to the disturbingly educated "The people of the time had no concept of black people and hence their fictitious gods could not be black"

All of it disregarding the fact that Idris Elba owned the crap out of the role as Heimdall.

I'm fairly certain that people would lose their minds today over a black santa for example. And argue with a 100% straight face that Santa is/was white.

Dejawesp fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jan 14, 2017

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Dejawesp posted:

Speaking as a Swede. Some racists over here complete lost their mind over a black guy playing Heimdall in the Thor movie. Because Norse mythology is their last bastion of all whiteness and toxic masculinity.

I asked how a completely fictional character based on fiction to begin with could have any race. The response went from the simple "white religion, white gods" to the disturbingly educated "The people of the time had no concept of black people and hence their fictitious gods could not be black"

All of it disregarding the fact that Idris Elba owned the crap out of the role as Heimdall.

I'm fairly certain that people would lose their minds today over a black santa for example. And argue with a 100% straight face that Santa is/was white.

TBF, Kenneth Branagh knows his Norse mythology, and was very probably making a statement there about just how far detached the aliens we call the Norse gods are from the Vikings' understanding of them. See, Heimdall/Heimdallr's title in the Postic Edda was hvitastr asa, 'whitest of the gods', and he's referred to repeatedly as the White God. His name, in fact, is speculated to mean 'he who illuminates the world'. Through his whiteness. He also apparently has gold teeth, but that's neither here nor there.

Having the single honkiest deity in the entire pantheon played by a black guy in incredibly shiny armour was absolutely a dig at the neo-Nazis who're all over the Viking religion at the moment, and it owns because of it.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Dejawesp posted:

Lose their minds and gain 20 million contract from NBC.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Secular Humanist posted:

"White white black white black white white white whiteness blackness white white white black black black black white white"

-an anti-racist.

in order to combat racism, you need to be aware of race and its impact on stuff. see, i've blown your mind. now take your blown-out mind somewhere else.

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.

OMG sriracha pudding! posted:

Like, sure, terms like 'black' and 'white' are mostly social constructs invented to justify a system of in-group (white) supremacy, so I can see why someone might consider the terms anachronisms as applied here. That said, if the classical greeks (and basically all of 'western civilization' (lol)) are going to be claimed by white people, then I don't see why the ancient Egyptians aren't black.

(especially since the conversation around which civilizations 'get' to be black is almost by definition taking place in the context of white supremacy)

Egypt is neither a black or white civilization, the Upper Nile place called Nubia was a dark skin are and the Lower Nile was a little more light skinned. Sometimes they were unified, sometimes not, there have some Nubian pharaohs, some of them were light skinned. If anyone can claim the Egyptian civilization as their own I think it would be the Egyptians.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

ReidRansom posted:

And weren't those mocked for that?

Yeah but that was after these two films were made to the tune of $140 million each. The real problem is that the cast is mostly white because most big name actors are white. It's caused by systemic discrimination in the industry, not just some movie execs who don't care about historical accuracy.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Dejawesp posted:

Especially since Santa is a reimagining of Odin anyway.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Kassad posted:

Yeah but that was after these two films were made to the tune of $140 million each. The real problem is that the cast is mostly white because most big name actors are white. It's caused by systemic discrimination in the industry, not just some movie execs who don't care about historical accuracy.

There is the crux of the issue. If it is more profitable to cast white men in roles they will continue to do so. If suddenly the way to a summer blockbuster hit was paved by casting a black actor in a leAd role traditionally played by a white man do you think there wouldn't be a flood of such released?

You look at who is going to the movies here for some insight on who they want to attract. I'm sure there is a latent desire to be able to identify with the main character and race is an easy out for the producers. When you have 60 percent of movie goers white compared to 10 percent black it goes to figure that those chasing the dollar are going to want to cast white.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

flashman posted:

There is the crux of the issue. If it is more profitable to cast white men in roles they will continue to do so. If suddenly the way to a summer blockbuster hit was paved by casting a black actor in a leAd role traditionally played by a white man do you think there wouldn't be a flood of such released?

You look at who is going to the movies here for some insight on who they want to attract. I'm sure there is a latent desire to be able to identify with the main character and race is an easy out for the producers. When you have 60 percent of movie goers white compared to 10 percent black it goes to figure that those chasing the dollar are going to want to cast white.

This is almost word for word the argument people against female protagonists in video games and LGBT characters in dragons age.

And it's also really dumb because the next transformers movie is not going to earn less if they made Will Smith the main character because audiences can't identity with him.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I'm not arguing against having black leads in movies I'm saying the problem is with the profit seeking nature of Hollywood films trying to attract the largest movie going ethnicity to their films.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

flashman posted:

I'm not arguing against having black leads in movies I'm saying the problem is with the profit seeking nature of Hollywood films trying to attract the largest movie going ethnicity to their films.

You make the assumption that picks of actors, major and minor is all based on some impartial, advanced profit formula when it is in fact settled by the whims and prejudices of producers, directors and other influential actors.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Dejawesp posted:

You make the assumption that picks of actors, major and minor is all based on some impartial, advanced profit formula when it is in fact settled by the whims and prejudices of producers, directors and other influential actors.

You don't think there's profit consideration when casting for movies with hundreds of millions on the line?

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

flashman posted:

You don't think there's profit consideration when casting for movies with hundreds of millions on the line?

Every single business in the world has a profit consideration. But that doesn't stop them from constantly making decisions based on emotions and prejudices. Older examples would be as simple as flat out banning minorities from entering a bar or establishment. Literally losing customers while making profit considerations.

As such we should not automatically assume that they disregard black actors because white actors make them more money.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Dejawesp posted:

Every single business in the world has a profit consideration. But that doesn't stop them from constantly making decisions based on emotions and prejudices. Older examples would be as simple as flat out banning minorities from entering a bar or establishment. Literally losing customers while making profit considerations.

As such we should not automatically assume that they disregard black actors because white actors make them more money.

In addition to this, we shouldn't disregard that white actors make them more money because of racism.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Dejawesp posted:

This is almost word for word the argument people against female protagonists in video games and LGBT characters in dragons age.

And it's also really dumb because the next transformers movie is not going to earn less if they made Will Smith the main character because audiences can't identity with him.

It probably would make less because the Transformer movies make a killing in China where the population is shockingly racist. It's a flaw of capitalism.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Darth Walrus posted:

In addition to this, we shouldn't disregard that white actors make them more money because of racism.

5/10 of the highest paid actors of 2016 are non-white. Meanwhile non-white actors account for only about 27% of total actors.

The first number is represented by how much money viewers are willing to throw at the works of the actors while the second is an indication of who producers are willing to hire.

So it's fair to say that the viewers are as a whole. Mostly indifferent to actor races while the producers are greatly skewed against minorities.

The Kingfish posted:

It probably would make less because the Transformer movies make a killing in China where the population is shockingly racist. It's a flaw of capitalism.

100% beside the point as the movie was just an example. If transformers is too hard of an example then pick one from your own memory and substitute Will Smith. My treat.

Dejawesp fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jan 14, 2017

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The Kingfish posted:

Are you... entirely sure that's the main appeal of Transformers movies to Chinese audiences? :crossarms:

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
Hollywood self censors and selectively boosts the content it thinks does best in international markets. The fact that it's predominantly white centered action stories isn't just the fault of Asian audiences.

Asian anti black racism isn't shocking, nor is it uncommon. It's a big problem in our immigrant communities in the West, when the model minority myth emerged in the mid 20th century, and in Asia, where African and African diaspora expats are treated extremely poorly.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Dejawesp posted:

If having a different race other than your own as the lead does not impact an audiences ability to identify with them then why does it matter if they are black or not? I mean do black people not enjoy and identify with black characters when they are cast?

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

flashman posted:

How does a producer know if it's more profitable to cast a white man for a given role? How would he go about determining that?

Why, he could use common sense: "It must be more profitable to cast white men in roles. Everybody else continues to do so. And you know that everybody else has a profit consideration, with millions on the line . . . "

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Pastrymancy posted:

African and African diaspora
What is the difference between these two groups?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

What is the difference between these two groups?

I'd assume that the distinction is between immigrants from African countries and immigrants from other countries who happen to have African ancestry.

• Locked thread