Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
I have the Chase Amazon card already, the one that gives (gave?) 3% on Amazon purchases previously. Does this card automatically get upgraded to the new one if I already have prime? I can't find anything anywhere. If it does, there's no reason for me to use the Synchrony Bank Amazon card that gave 5% back at Amazon, though I'm sure I'll keep it just to have another open line of credit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I think if you don't have Prime you stay at 3%, everyone on Prime got upped to 5%.

pjhalifax
May 29, 2004

love boat captain

BAE OF PIGS posted:

I have the Chase Amazon card already, the one that gives (gave?) 3% on Amazon purchases previously. Does this card automatically get upgraded to the new one if I already have prime? I can't find anything anywhere. If it does, there's no reason for me to use the Synchrony Bank Amazon card that gave 5% back at Amazon, though I'm sure I'll keep it just to have another open line of credit.
Mine was automatically upgraded. You can check by looking at your payment methods on Amazon and drilling down on that card. Mine says "Rewards status: earns 5%" or something like that.

I'll probably ditch the Synchrony card, too.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
It's essentially the same 3% card it always was, Amazon is just bumping the bonus an extra 2% internally once the card is connected to an active Prime account for the cardholder. The card itself does not give 5%, it's the combination that makes it work.

Seems like the branding/marketing is causing some confusion, making people think it's a whole new product.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

pjhalifax posted:

Mine was automatically upgraded. You can check by looking at your payment methods on Amazon and drilling down on that card. Mine says "Rewards status: earns 5%" or something like that.

I'll probably ditch the Synchrony card, too.

The Synchrony card and company is pretty terrible from my experience anyway.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
I did like that the Synchrony card applied the 5% immediately instead of having to wait for it to be applied as some type of cash back rewards or whatever.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

ETB posted:

The Synchrony card and company is pretty terrible from my experience anyway.

Can you elaborate on this? I've had the Synchrony Amazon Store Card with automatic 5% on all purchases for well over a year now and never had a problem. I have it set to auto pay the full balance when it's due and basically just ignore it, knowing that everything that I buy at Amazon is 5% off.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Synchrony hosed up my first auto pay somehow leading to fees and interest. Immediately closed my account with them, gently caress that noise.

The fact that they gave me a limit 1/10th as high as all my other cards suggests to me that they are targeting a lower income demographic and maybe exploiting them a bit with horseshit like that.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Pryor on Fire posted:

Synchrony hosed up my first auto pay somehow leading to fees and interest. Immediately closed my account with them, gently caress that noise.

The fact that they gave me a limit 1/10th as high as all my other cards suggests to me that they are targeting a lower income demographic and maybe exploiting them a bit with horseshit like that.

A lot of services (not just credit cards) that have autopay don't put it into effect immediately and will need you to pay your first bill or two manually even after enrolling in Autopay. It's incredibly stupid especially since 99% of the time autopay runs on the last possible day.

I think most reputable places will waive fees/penalties if you call right away after an autopay related fuckup but it's still an unreasonable hassle.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
A 5% discount at Amazon sounds great, but I have a feeling that the Citi Price rewind gets me there from my current rewards rate. Does the Chase card have something similar?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

I've never had a problem with autopay or had fees/late payments on any service or bank ever besides Synchrony, and I've been banking since the 80s.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Pryor on Fire posted:

I've never had a problem with autopay or had fees/late payments on any service or bank ever besides Synchrony, and I've been banking since the 80s.

Not trying to defend synchrony, their autopay is BS that takes too long before it actually starts working. Just letting people know to be careful when starting autopay on a new card or service, Verizon pulled that with me last year for my FIOS auto pay.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
I just confirmed with Chase that Amazon card holders are being upgraded to new cards, and new metal cards are being sent out to prime members who currently have the card.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
^^^^ Awesome!

I checked and I have the 5% which is nice because Discover iT is off that after 6 months straight. Also, gonna be using that Amazon card more (than nearly never) because the 2% cats fill a lot of needs, I never even looked into them. Chase Freedom Unlimited is what I will use on pretty much everything else this quarter.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Pryor on Fire posted:

Basically this. They are the only bank I've ever had trouble with in terms of setting up a reliable autopay. I had to ask to waive interest charges twice because their system didn't work the way I expected, so I dropped them ASAP.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I have the Citi double cash that I typically use for everything, but want to add a card that offers 5% on rotating categories as it seems like a good idea to earn more $$ back. After a lot of googling I found Chase Freedom (regular one, not unlimited) fitting the bill and the DiscoverIt cards. The Chase seems to be the better card all around with 150$ sign on bonus and 25$ bonus for adding authorized user (which i would anyway). Less importantly, 15 month 0% on purchases. Any other cards I should check out before applying for the Chase? Also curious, those of you with either card, are the categories generally useful? Gas for Q1 looks great and I'll be able to use it at Costco Q2 which is pretty sweet.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Russian Bear posted:

I have the Citi double cash that I typically use for everything, but want to add a card that offers 5% on rotating categories as it seems like a good idea to earn more $$ back. After a lot of googling I found Chase Freedom (regular one, not unlimited) fitting the bill and the DiscoverIt cards. The Chase seems to be the better card all around with 150$ sign on bonus and 25$ bonus for adding authorized user (which i would anyway). Less importantly, 15 month 0% on purchases. Any other cards I should check out before applying for the Chase? Also curious, those of you with either card, are the categories generally useful? Gas for Q1 looks great and I'll be able to use it at Costco Q2 which is pretty sweet.

Discover doubles the cash back that you earn in the first year. I milked it and managed about $925 in cash back, so this past August they dropped another $925 in my account. Do the math for your planned spending each month but it's not too hard to squeeze a much better sign-up bonus out of the Discover It.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
I've had the Discover It for a couple years, and it is 5% for Amazon the last 2 quarters of the year, and gas and whatever the first Q, I forget what happens in the 2nd quarter. If you are a Huntington customer you can get the Voice card which lets you pick a 3% category each quarter. You can pick gas or pretty much anything, I use it for utilities, but that only works for internet and electric with me, others charge a fee to pay with credit.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I got the citi simplicity a while ago for the 18 month (or whatever it was at the time) 0%APR. Is there any reason to keep it now that I've paid it off and the 0%APR period has ended?

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Cacafuego posted:

I got the citi simplicity a while ago for the 18 month (or whatever it was at the time) 0%APR. Is there any reason to keep it now that I've paid it off and the 0%APR period has ended?

If it doesn't have a fee there really isn't a reason to close it as long as you can easily track it.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Will we ever see a straight 3% cash back card? Or would that eat into the card company's profit margins too much?

(I know nothing about credit card transaction fees)

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

EugeneJ posted:

Will we ever see a straight 3% cash back card? Or would that eat into the card company's profit margins too much?

(I know nothing about credit card transaction fees)

USAA has a 2.5% cashback on everything card. Have to be a USAA member for it though (Military or family).

A 3% cashback card wouldn't bankrupt any of the major companies, but the problem is that you would have to be sure that lots of people will switch to your card and inertia is a hell of a drug. That's why they prefer bigger upfront sign on bonuses.

There's also the risk that you either:

A) Eat the loss as a reduction in profit

or

B) Make up the costs in user fees (which may reduce the amount of people who use the card and hurt profits even more) or through higher merchant exchange fees. But if you do higher Merchant exchange fees, then some places might not accept your card anymore. Like how a lot of places don't take AmEx.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

USAA has a 2.5% cashback on everything card. Have to be a USAA member for it though (Military or family).

A 3% cashback card wouldn't bankrupt any of the major companies, but the problem is that you would have to be sure that lots of people will switch to your card and inertia is a hell of a drug. That's why they prefer bigger upfront sign on bonuses.

Yeah, best I know of for "everywhere" is BofA's travel card. If you're preferred rewards top tier then it's 75% bonus on 1.5 points everywhere, or 2.62% back.

I bit the bullet on the Amazon Chase card though, and they gave me the best rate with an absurdly low limit. Whatever, it'll live on my desk and give me an even lower cost on my huge volume of Amazon purchases.

I think that Amazon card might be a very compelling card for a college student who spends most of their money on stuff, eating, and fueling the car.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

wow I hadn't heard of this. looks like its only available right now in LA, NM, KS, ID, PA, SC and WA.

Kind of a weird mix of states.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

marsisol posted:

My CSR should be coming this week. Perfect timing as I'm dropping a ton of cash on my wedding in June and then on the honeymoon in December. I don't expect to have issues reaching 4,000 dollars in 3 months, but just in case, would it be legit to buy grocery store gift cards (or similar) to reach the 4,000 dollar minimum?

Yeah, do gift cards count to the minimum? I'm a noob with rewards cards so I'm just trying to figure out the answer since it's not in the FAQ...

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

yronic heroism posted:

Yeah, do gift cards count to the minimum? I'm a noob with rewards cards so I'm just trying to figure out the answer since it's not in the FAQ...

Yes. Then purchase money orders at your post office or Walmart and deposit them.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Baddog posted:

wow I hadn't heard of this. looks like its only available right now in LA, NM, KS, ID, PA, SC and WA.

Kind of a weird mix of states.

Also there is a stipulation that you have to direct deposit at least 1000$ into your checking account from your employer. Not total per month, but 1000$ at a time.

Probably not a big deal for some people. If you don't meet that criteria that month it's only 1.5%.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Credit card companies don't get a receipt of what you buy, just the amount and the merchant so gift cards at a grocery store are completely above board. What you need to look out for are things that could be considered Cash Advances. The most obvious example is pulling cash out of an ATM with a credit card. Things that might code as a cash advance are things like a money transfer service like Venmo (Though Venmo itself doesn't usually code as a cash advance with most cards) services that let you pay utilities/rent with a credit card, or funding a bank account with a credit card. Which specific services code as a cash advance with which specific card providers you would have to look up though, it can vary.

Regardless of the technical aspects I would try to avoid doing anything suspicious in general, I don't think you'll run into any issues just finishing the spending requirement on a single card but routinely depositing money orders or trying to purchase $1000's in gift cards simultaneously can end with a lovely chat with police and/or security. My go to place for finishing the spending requirement on a credit card is just reloading my Amazon gift card balance.

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007
Mentally retardation is such a strong word.

THF13 posted:

Credit card companies don't get a receipt of what you buy, just the amount and the merchant so gift cards at a grocery store are completely above board.

This isn't strictly true. Many credit card companies get Level 3 data (which includes a breakdown of exactly what is purchased) from the retailer. Various rumors abound around the internet on this, but it's pretty well accepted that depending which merchant it is, the banks likely have access to exactly what you're buying.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Does anyone know if the Amazon Prime card is just for the main account holders? I am on Prime but it is through a friend of mine, don't really see anything one way or the other.

oh nevermind found it

quote:

If you are an invited guest of an Amazon Prime account, you will need to become an Eligible Amazon Prime Member to upgrade to the Amazon Prime Store Card.

So upgrading to Prime would get me the extra 2% from amazon purchases and that's it? Guess I need to calculate which way I'll come out ahead as of right now I pay nothing for the prime.

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 14, 2017

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'd like it better if the Prime card had a $95 annual fee but you got Amazon Prime for free every year when you renew

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

EugeneJ posted:

I'd like it better if the Prime card had a $95 annual fee but you got Amazon Prime for free every year when you renew

Chase would have to pick up most of the bill on that one and I doubt it's worth it for them.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Harminoff posted:

Does anyone know if the Amazon Prime card is just for the main account holders? I am on Prime but it is through a friend of mine, don't really see anything one way or the other.

oh nevermind found it

So upgrading to Prime would get me the extra 2% from amazon purchases and that's it? Guess I need to calculate which way I'll come out ahead as of right now I pay nothing for the prime.

The Amazon Prime store card is not the same as the Chase Amazon Visa. I don't know the answer to your question, but that ^ isn't it. Might be worth it to call Chase or open a chat with Amazon..

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

EugeneJ posted:

I think the JCB Marukai card is basically a 3% cash back card, although it's limited to certain states.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

SuperSpiff posted:

This isn't strictly true. Many credit card companies get Level 3 data (which includes a breakdown of exactly what is purchased) from the retailer. Various rumors abound around the internet on this, but it's pretty well accepted that depending which merchant it is, the banks likely have access to exactly what you're buying.

I know with my work card gas stations and some chain hotels provide the CC a breakdown of what the charges were since it shows up on my statement.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Quick questions.

I have about $5,000 debt on my main card, and a second card I haven't used in a couple of years (my baby first card) with like a $750 dollar limit (lol). My funds just increased (business is finally doing well) and I can pay the debt off completely. However, is there any new cards I should look at (I use prime) in terms of moving my debt to a new card, and then paying it off. Any benefits/ cards I should be looking at?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

LionArcher posted:

Quick questions.

I have about $5,000 debt on my main card, and a second card I haven't used in a couple of years (my baby first card) with like a $750 dollar limit (lol). My funds just increased (business is finally doing well) and I can pay the debt off completely. However, is there any new cards I should look at (I use prime) in terms of moving my debt to a new card, and then paying it off. Any benefits/ cards I should be looking at?

I don't think there are many, if any, cards that count balance transfers towards spend for bonuses.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Thoguh posted:

I don't think there are many, if any, cards that count balance transfers towards spend for bonuses.

Fair enough. Looks like I'll just pay it off and wait awhile to open another credit card. Keeping myself on a new strict budget, no more debt for me :)

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

LionArcher posted:

Quick questions.

No. If you are going to balance transfer and then pay it off completely, then it might actually be worse for you to transfer to another card. If you intend to pay it off (and you should) then just pay it off.

Balance transfers never count towards spend requirements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
I have a question about UR points. If you book things through the chase portal (through your Reserve card), let's say, a rental car, do you still get any advantages as if you booked using your Reserve to pay (such as a free upgrade)? What if you book 99% on points but leave $1 and pay that $1 with your Reserve card?

ps.s Just booked two round trip tickets from New York to Hawaii for 25k points each through Korean Air. I still have 66k points left. Thanks for all the free money Chase!

Elysium fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jan 17, 2017