Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I usually can't listen to music while I read because I find it too distracting, but for some reason Slayer is just fine. Huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Death By The Blues posted:

Also, who likes sour beers?

I would give up IPAs forever if I could get a steady supply of sour and gose on the east coast.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

They Shoot Zombies films on YouTube, entries 501-600.

Alligator (501): Hardcoded Spanish subs.
Pin (503)
The Tomb of Ligeia (505)
À Meia-Noite Levarei Sua Alma (509)
Long Weekend (510): Hardcoded Spanish subs.
Blood for Dracula (511)
V/H/S/2 (518)
Q (520)
Begotten (524): Requires age verification.
Fritt Vilt (526)
I corpi presentano tracce di violenza carnale (528): Requires age verification. A few parts are in Italian, which I'm guessing are scenes that were cut out of the US release. Rest is in English.
Lo strano vizio della Signora Wardh (531): In English.
Idi I Smotri (532): Uploaded in two parts (part 1/part 2)
Asylum (538)
Dark Night of the Scarecrow (539)
Frenzy (540)
Dance of the Dead (556)
The Girl Next Door (564): Requires age verification.
The Gate (565): Hardcoded Spanish subs.
You Better Watch Out (566): Better known as Christmas Evil.
Suna no Onna (567)
Captain Kronos – Vampire Hunter (568)
Puppetmaster (573): Watermark in the top right corner.
The Penalty (574)
La frusta e il corpo (576): In English.
Plan 9 from Outer Space (578)
Lemora: A Child’s Tale of the Supernatural (579): Requires age verification.
Thriller (581)
Vampyres (582): Hardcoded Spanish subs and atrocious quality, but it's there.
Death Line (584)
Vampire Circus (588): Requires age verification.
I Bury the Living (591)
Children Shouldn’t Play with Dead Things (592)
Humanoids from the Deep (597)
Frozen (598): Skip the first 30 seconds.
Prom Night (600)

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Milpool *picture of Sambo*

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Death By The Blues posted:

Hey everyoneeeeeeee.

Still chugging along in pre, I know I sent the draft of our script to people and got no responses. So if it is terrible please let me know or if you want to read it, e-mail me at daumounkhakpour@gmail.com

Also, who likes sour beers?

I fuckin' love sour beers. Do goses also count? Either way, I'm into it.

I'll shoot you an email in a bit, I'll read that poo poo.

weekly font posted:

I would give up IPAs forever if I could get a steady supply of sour and gose on the east coast.

I don't have to be convinced to give up IPAs because they loving suck

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Hmmm ahh yes, idi i smotri and cat people are both about equally spooky

- horror movie guy

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I don't like IPAs sours or gose :(

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Sour beers are my favorite beers. Like best of all time kind of beers for me.

Especially New Belgium's La Terrior. Holy fucccck.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
YouTube of the Day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiiXXTkTwt4

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
It took me wayyyy too long to realize what word "wigger" was playing off of.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

The Moroder cut is entertaining on its own, but the 2010 restoration is magnificent. The near-complete cut now has all these story arcs that go somewhere now, plus the Gottfried Huppertz score is otherworldly. It makes absolute sense that a film like Metropolis has a Wagnerian score rather than anything futuristic, because that's the whole point of the film. It takes place in the future, but the core of society is back in medieval times.

And of course Fritz Lang's version of Das Rheingold/Die Niebelungen is loving awesome.

That reminds me, did anyone else see Tale of Tales? Finally caught it the other day and it's pretty wild, kinda reminded me of Die Niebelungen meets Pasolini's Canterbury Tales.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

In the words of the poet:
I drink cheap beer
So what
gently caress you

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Wish we had New Belgium here. Just picked up a couple of Rodenbach Vintages, love them.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
That TV thing where Joseph Fiennes plays Michael Jackson has been cancelled.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Sour? IPA? Why not both?

This thing was so loving good. I love sour beers. There's a local brewery, Texian, that does a dark sour called Black Jesus. It's amazing.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
I am 90% IPA at this point.

I do buy lovely rear end Rolling Rock when having whiskey too usually. For chugging purposes mainly. I am an idiot btw.

Also Alligator is genuinely great and a helluva lot better than a lot of the films that were ranked higher than it, but personal opinion and all.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

IPAs are garbage. I've tried several from excellent brewers and I can't stand the taste.

Hard cider is where it's at.

Samuel Clemens posted:

They Shoot Zombies films on YouTube, entries 501-600.
Frenzy (540)

Just wanted to note that had Hitchcock not made Rear Window, I'd consider Frenzy to be his best film.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I got rejected from that research job way faster than the one I applied to that I was distinctly unqualified for. Really disappointing, as it's the first job I've applied for where I actually meet every qualification, and have actually been doing the work in a non-professional capacity already with a proven record for excellence. Hard pill to swallow, as my friend has a place set up for me to move into that would've been really great if the job worked out, and in general, I would've been able to stop living on the edge of poverty.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Dude looked almost obscenely German

He even had a monocle and his name was Fritz for crying out loud.

Don't post pictures of my son, thank you.

I watched Green Room. I think :stare: is the agreed-upon emoji?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

My hands were shaking by the end of Green Room. I wouldn't be surprised if you could induce a panic attack in someone with that film.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Anonymous Robot posted:

I got rejected from that research job way faster than the one I applied to that I was distinctly unqualified for. Really disappointing, as it's the first job I've applied for where I actually meet every qualification, and have actually been doing the work in a non-professional capacity already with a proven record for excellence. Hard pill to swallow, as my friend has a place set up for me to move into that would've been really great if the job worked out, and in general, I would've been able to stop living on the edge of poverty.

The average job search for any given profession is eight months. Remember that you only need one.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Egbert Souse posted:

My hands were shaking by the end of Green Room. I wouldn't be surprised if you could induce a panic attack in someone with that film.

Came p close for me!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Has anyone here seen Nick Dipaolo live and are his shows a bunch of gross right wing circle jerking?

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
The new Mario game takes place in New Donk City.
I dig it.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Jack Gladney posted:

The average job search for any given profession is eight months. Remember that you only need one.

I've been looking since June, unfortunately, this was just the first one I've seen so far that didn't require an MA and for which I already had prior experience, and also happened to be at least related to what I want to do. It also paid adequately, which is rare in the academic field.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Gorman Thomas posted:

- horror movie guy

The ranking algorithm is kind of interesting. If I understand it correctly, They Shoot Zombies basically aggregates of a ton of different best-of-horror lists. So to place near the top, a film needs to be considered a) great and b) horror. That's why films like Frenzy or Come and See are comparatively low on the list. They're fantastic, but a lot of people don't consider them to be part of the horror genre, so they show up in fewer places. I assume that's also why Mulholland Dr. is #209 even though it's easily better than most entries in the top 100.

Anonymous Robot posted:

I got rejected from that research job way faster than the one I applied to that I was distinctly unqualified for. Really disappointing, as it's the first job I've applied for where I actually meet every qualification, and have actually been doing the work in a non-professional capacity already with a proven record for excellence.

I feel you. It sucks to be rejected by a position that pretty much exactly matches your personal profile, but there's sadly nothing you can do except move on. Maybe you could ask for personal feedback and hope they have something better to say than, "Another applicant was exactly like you, but better."

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Samuel Clemens posted:

Hope they have something better to say than, "Another applicant was exactly like you, but better someone's kid."

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

I fully believe Trump's favorite movie is Citizen Kane and he's actually seen it.

He just completely loving missed the point.

Which is funny since Orson Welles was pretty much was alt-left before it was cool. All his movies are about the corruption of power and authority on people.

Trump probably never watched it past the part where Kane loses the election. Kinda the rich white version of people who miss the point of Tony Montana.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Who considers Mulholland DR a horror movie?

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
meeeeeeee

*erotic horror

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Snak posted:

It has a sort of uncomfortable semi-supernatural vibe that I'm comfortable calling horror.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Gorman Thomas posted:

- horror movie guy

It's a metalist, same as TSP

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Snak posted:

I mean there's that really good scare near the beginning. And what the last quarter of the movie covers, though that's more existential horror. It does bring to mind, however, this twitter thread where our old mod makes an impassioned plea for the genre:

https://twitter.com/jodamico1/status/772879979801616386

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I got Mulholland Drive for Christmas the other year, but I still haven't watched it yet. I'm sure it's fantastic, but I'm certain it'll be an uncomfortable watch and I don't know what kind of mood I'll need to be in to watch it. The new Twin Peaks is coming out soon, so maybe when that's out.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mulholland Drive is okay, but it's not even as good a horror movie as Blue Velvet, which itself probably wouldn't crack my top 50 horror movies.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Snak posted:

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Mulholland Drive is def a horror movie.

And not just existential horror (which is Lynch's forte, anyway), the film builds incredible set pieces out of the suggestion of unknowable threat. For its reputation as borderline incomprehensible, it's actually just a very straightforward ghost story that doesn't get hung-up on exposition or psychological realism.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
It's mostly just about how cruel and lovely people can be, which is always horrifying. The "unknown horror" is the inherent threat of putting your trust in someone, ever. You'll never actually know who they are and they could, at any time, turn on you.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
I don't really care for David Lynch. It's ok, throw fruit at me, I understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Lynch owns and Mulholland Drive is a top fiver for me

• Locked thread