Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Maybe they should make it encouraging for new players to pick up the loving game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

ZenVulgarity posted:

Maybe they should make it encouraging for new players to pick up the loving game

You jest.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Cyrano4747 posted:

Honestly I'm not surprised. I think it's a sign of the declining player base.

Yeah this is it. Also, while talking about declining userbases, it's looking mighty empty on the mumble, only one poor soul still trying to play with some friends, poor guy

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I got bored of MWO again and really don't enjoy playing it, even when hosed up.

Just looking forward to that Battletech beta so I can cast MWO off my hard drive forever.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Theyre basically dropping the game to focus on 5

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Well, see, they've been using these Mech packs to pay for 5. Now they're going to use 5 sales to pay for porting this game to UE4. Or even better, MechWarrior Online 2...

At least, that's the thought process I imagine.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Wonder what happens if they make an MWO 2

Lmao at all the money

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I imagine MWO 2 would go the way of Transdumpsterfire.

At least, I hope it would.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

loving really? :rip: hunch bunch you were too good for :pgi:.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Azuth0667 posted:

loving really? :rip: hunch bunch you were too good for :pgi:.

Hunchbacks are 50 tons, you can still give everyone 50 tons in a 12 man?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Hunch Bunch is still viable at every level...

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
lol @ goons not knowing what the gently caress is going on with tonnage and instantly saying it's a terrible change.

It's a dumb change, but it isn't necessarily bad. They're trying to increase time to kill by reducing weight, but they seem to forget that while lighter mechs have less guns (sometimes) they also have less armor (always.)

We'll see less assault piles and will likely see more heavies/mediums from this.

DancingShade posted:

Yup! Then you get a PHX where the big quirk is a "massive" (40%) ROF increase for the solitary machinegun mount.

The PHX series actually have some really good quirks. The 3S has +20% range on medium lasers, +25% MG RoF for 2 MGs, and an ungodly acceleration/deceleration and turn rate when combined with its MASC.

The 1 can get a 37% cooldown on three medium lasers, and has 10% RoF for machine guns, which is good for a mech that can jump 93.7 and run at 137kph.

The 1K has similar quirks to the BJ1X, but it can slam on an XL355 instead of an XL295 and run people down to murder them horribly.

The 2 and 1B are mechs with ECM, huge speed, jump jets, and a decent amount of hard points.

The R and KK would be okay if they were cbills, but they are irredeemable pieces of poo poo because they are not.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 13, 2017

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ZenVulgarity posted:

Even though it is worse

I really love my 2lb10, 2mg, 2mpl black widow

You can do 2lbx 10 4mg and 2ml on a Jaeger DD, and you should because it's hilarious. Survive until the end and you become the Executioner.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

While it's probably going to be a bit more aggravating to put groups together, almost all the matches I see in the group queue are 8-10 assaults/heavies with maybe a medium or light or two. The only times this isn't the case is when groups are large enough that they are not allowed.

Realistically they need to fix this by making lights and mediums as good as heavies/assaults, but that's not an easy problem to fix so they're going to continue to ignore it.

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos
the only thing that will bring me back at this point is MWO2

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

aniviron posted:

While it's probably going to be a bit more aggravating to put groups together

This was my point, I loving hate playing lights.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Sell all your Heavies and Assaults and only drop in Mediums.

Hope you fuckers bought a Bushwhacker.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Commoners posted:

lol @ goons not knowing what the gently caress is going on with tonnage and instantly saying it's a terrible change.

It's a dumb change, but it isn't necessarily bad. They're trying to increase time to kill by reducing weight, but they seem to forget that while lighter mechs have less guns (sometimes) they also have less armor (always.)

We'll see less assault piles and will likely see more heavies/mediums from this.

The PHX series actually have some really good quirks. The 3S has +20% range on medium lasers, +25% MG RoF for 2 MGs, and an ungodly acceleration/deceleration and turn rate when combined with its MASC.

The 1 can get a 37% cooldown on three medium lasers, and has 10% RoF for machine guns, which is good for a mech that can jump 93.7 and run at 137kph.

The 1K has similar quirks to the BJ1X, but it can slam on an XL355 instead of an XL295 and run people down to murder them horribly.

The 2 and 1B are mechs with ECM, huge speed, jump jets, and a decent amount of hard points.

The R and KK would be okay if they were cbills, but they are irredeemable pieces of poo poo because they are not.

This reads like a shifty used mech sales pitch to promote a garbage mech where the reactor is filled with sawdust to stop the rattles and the joystick snaps off after 10 miles.

These mechs and quirks are terrible and so is your opinion. Sorry.

Don't forget to look down at those 70 and 75 ton heavies (i.e. the Warhammer) that you tower over in your 45 ton medium.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 13, 2017

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

teepo posted:

the only thing that will bring me back at this point is MWO2

it would be garbage if still made by pgi so dont bother coming back then

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

The PHX is all about harassing the poo poo out of people and positioning well to keep them at standoff ranges. If you're ever face staring another mech and it is shooting back at you and landing effective damage, you're not abusing its retarded amounts of mobility hard enough. It plays just like the cicada, except it has jump jets and arms so it can actually shoot at people on the ground while jumping.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The cicada has great hitboxes, great hardpoint locations, great quirks and a small profile. The PHX has none of those things.

But the PHX is the designated anime mech so I do understand why some people like it.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

DancingShade posted:

The cicada has great hitboxes, great hardpoint locations, great quirks and a small profile. The PHX has none of those things.

But the PHX is the designated anime mech so I do understand why some people like it.

The cicada is a giant torso with an XL

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Yeah, I wouldn't call the cicada's hit boxes good. You can really reliably punch out the side torsos.

Still better than the viper's, though.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

ZenVulgarity posted:

The cicada is a giant torso with an XL

Terrible skirmisher but a great flanker. It was god mode after I mastered my PHXs.

The PHXs were the opposite of god mode :saddowns:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Q_res posted:

This was my point, I loving hate playing lights.

This is pretty much the crux of why this is a poo poo change, yeah. I don't think it's inaccurate to say that a lot of us have a preference for heavies and assaults. We do have several folks who are cool and will go to a lighter mech if someone wants to go up a bit, but I don't think it's out of line to say that the heavier slots were already at a premium and this change just exacerbates that. Which is bad when folks just want to come home, log in,, play in a mech they like, and bullshit around with goons. The tighter limits also just kind of make it harder for the folks willing to switch around to actually free up meaningful tonnage.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
It doesn't matter because nobody plays anymore anyway. Except me anyway, alone in mumble :x

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh

TjyvTompa posted:

Honestly, that build is very bad. What is the purpose of 2 SPLs and 2 SLs? 2 MGs also do nothing, if you want to use MGs you should have 4 or more, otherwise they are pretty much useless.
Try this build: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=222&l=177832eb94235b1dc4cd9c776f6b9c435ab25c68

Oh man the shame of realizing I was rocking the shitfit the whole time...

I still like machine guns because they seem to make limbs fall off late into the round but am still learning not to focus on the biggest mech and doing a little dance around him while being shot to pieces by his buddies.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

PBs especially cannot win fights 1v1 against a not crippled target. If they are not cornered by another locust the instant they start getting attention they need to run for the hills/their teammatds.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

What a loving ridiculous change. It's like they actively want people to stop playing their game.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

the mechwarrior wiki is encouraging me to donate in bitcoin

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Artificer posted:

PBs especially cannot win fights 1v1 against a not crippled target. If they are not cornered by another locust the instant they start getting attention they need to run for the hills/their teammatds.

If they're mounting SPLs they can 1v1 plenty of things, especially in solo queue. If you catch an assault alone you should be able to win that fight with either not being hit at all or barely being scraped by lasers passing over you. Against other lights you should be able to tear up anything that has less than six guns in a knife fight. Basically in a 1v1 the only thing you have to worry about is mechs with large amounts of arm weapons on arms that can swivel and/or mechs that can turn with you and keep their reticle on you.

Medium lasers make the PB weak as poo poo at anything that isn't poking, kind of like running the 8ML kit fox where you can poke everyone to death but the moment they sic a light or a light hunter on you it is death time.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 14, 2017

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah I like having MLAS on my PB so that is probably why. 4 SPLs just don't seem all that great enough. If I was going to run SPLs I would use the 1E.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman
Dude. Driving Phoenix Hawks are are like driving anime bots. We talked about this last night in mumble. I forget to shoot because I'm too busy running through all the reds... jihadi style.

I almost feel bad for not contributing.

Zyphoid
Mar 5, 2015
So I finally got my triple screen setup working properly. BEHOLD THE GLORY THAT IS MWO 8560 x 1440!!!!!!!

My middle is an ultrawide 3440x1440. There is some stretching on the side monitors but it actually acts as a magnifier. I've caught several sneaky fuckers circling me because the movement magnified really draws your eye (and guns).

Just thought you guys may be interested in seeing it. The top is the cockpit of the marauder IIC, the bottom is a stormcrow. I got in my kodiak and it was as bad as the atlas....tiny window up front with blank walls on the side.

Also interestingly enough in the hanger screen PGI was too lazy to extend the background pic on the left side so it just opens up to.....empty space......
Also the mech select stuff is on the far left screen and the button to accept is on the far left...and you cant resize or move em. Whelp.

Zyphoid

Hmmm can't get the image to work here is the direct link

http://i64.tinypic.com/29w3d78.jpg

http://i66.tinypic.com/2v1av60.jpg

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Your pics are broken dude. I've been wanting to see what a multi-monitor setup for something like this looks like too, because I was one of the sad, deprived people who never got to experience the full cockpit Battletech game in the 90s.

And don't sign your posts.

edit: That looks pretty handy.

Zyphoid
Mar 5, 2015
Also this happened

quote:

The time has come for a new era of ‘Mech warfare.

This March, we will be detailing the mid-summer release of new Inner Sphere and Clan weaponry and equipment for MechWarrior Online. The timeline is advancing, and with it comes not only a new array of potential weapons and equipment technology with which to customize your existing ‘Mechs, but the potential for an array of new and remarkable ‘Mechs to pilot and customize.

Coinciding with the early March announcement of these new technologies, four new ‘Mechs will be announced and launched for pre-order to herald this new era. The Inner Sphere and Clans will both be receiving two ‘Mechs, with at least one of their two respective ‘Mechs hailing from the 3060+ era.

Soo.....any ideas on the 3060+ mechs? Whats the most popular and would bring the most bucks? What new weapons are gonna be available? Tell me battletech nerds!

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I .... like playing light mechs?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I could really go with them putting in the Thunder Hawk.

100 tons, 3 gauss and 4 ML as the cannon build.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Clan Mechs are going to be the Mad Cat Mk II and the Locust IIC.

gently caress if I know what the IS will be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Relevant link for the 3060 announce

I effortposted about 3060 tech a while ago:

Cease to Hope posted:

I would probably turn this into a TMC article if TMC hadn't turned to poo poo, but here's Future Battletech Weapons In MWO. For reference, it's either 3052 or 3053 in MWO.

Succession War tech:
These weapons aren't from the original 3025/"tech 1" ruleset, but they are balanced with those weapons. All of these already exist in-universe; they just are too weird or obsolete to see widespread use.

Binary lasers/blazers are two large lasers duct taped together, with severe diminishing returns on performance. They're extremely hot, extremely heavy, and thoroughly underwhelming in tabletop; their only niche is that they do exactly enough damage for a headshot, which isn't something they could reasonably do in MWO. While at one point they appeared in datamined MWO files, they're so inefficient that their only use in MWO would be squeezing a tiny bit more max damage (12 per shot) out of a single Inner Sphere energy hardpoint.

Mech Mortars in tabletop are hilariously inefficient and inaccurate low-tech LRM replacements. They're completely useless in tabletop: while they have the "advantage" of ignoring AMS, they mostly do less damage than LRMs shooting into AMS anyway. They might be interesting as an alternative indirect-fire weapon, but since they're so obscure and bad in TT, I doubt PGI would bother.

Artillery already exists as well, both three classes of tube artillery cannon (the Long Tom is the largest) and Arrow IV missiles (which are technically 3050 tech). When direct-fired at a visible, nearby enemy in tabletop, they're rather underwhelming for their size and weight - Long Toms and Arrow IV only do 20 damage - they do that damage in a 40m-ish radius, spreading that damage all over the target and possible damaging nearby targets. (The main difference between tube artillery and missile artillery in TT is that missiles can be guided with TAG. That's TAG's main use in TT.) Splash damage weapons would be a huge gamechanger in MWO, diminishing the value of grouping up tightly and taking cover, but would be a massive undertaking to implement.

Rocket Launchers are extremely efficient midrange brawling weapons, similar to MRMs. The catch is that they're all one-shot weapons. I don't see how this could place nicely with MWO's weapon hardpoint system, and other than that they're almost identical to MRMs if MRMs weren't horribly inaccurate.

3050s-3060s
Inner Sphere:
The Clan Invasion and Fedcom Civil War means lots of new Inner Sphere weapons get invented. Some of them don't spread out of a particular faction hardly at all.

Silver Bullet Gauss Rifles already exist, although they aren't mainstream until 3080. In tabletop, they're cluster-only LBX gauss rifles, basically. More accurate, but they spread out damage in many small pellets. They're not especially useful in tabletop, and while they'd fit into MWO just fine, they'd need extra damage to be worth using. Would you use an LBX gauss rifle that weighed the same as a regular gauss rifle?

Enhanced LRMs (invented 3054, widespread much later) are LRMs with a moderately shorter minimum range and a larger weight/size. You don't want NLRMs.

Extended LRMs (also invented 3054 and widespread later) are Longer Ranged Missiles with almost double the range. In return, XLRMs have almost double the weight and size, and a minimum range longer than a large laser. They're garbage and would be terrible for MWO.

Light Gauss Rifles (3056, more or less Marik/FWL-only) are gauss replacements for AC10s. They fling 8 damage a really long way, but they still weigh 12t. They're heavy and anemic and land in the exact same niche as the best weapon in Battletech - but remember that's also true of the AC5. They could slot into MWO as a snipey alternative to the AC10 for mediums that don't want to risk the facetime of smaller ACs, but can't practically fit an AC20 or gauss.

X-Pulse Lasers (3057) are longer-ranged pulse lasers that are just ridiculously hot. They're halfway between IS and Clan pulse lasers in performance, but about half again as hot. They never really catch on. They would fit into MWO easily - they're just longer-ranged, hotter pulse lasers - but they don't fit into any new unfilled niche.

IS Ultra autocannon (3057) fire two shots but have a chance to jam. Shocking, right? The UAC2 and UAC10 aren't going to significantly rock the boat. The UAC20 might (assuming it doesn't use splash damage or Clan-style salvos), but PGI can punt on it for a bit, since it was invented later, in 3060.

IS ER lasers (3058) do exactly what you'd think. They're hotter and longer-ranged and replace normal lasers in almost every post-3060 IS mech. These would slot into MWO easily, and wouldn't fill any new niche.

IS LBX autocannon (3058) also don't bring any surprises. They're slightly longer-ranged than other IS ACs, but they weigh the same amount and take up an extra crit, unlike the LBX AC10. They'd need the same damage buffs PGI seems to currently be considering for the LBX 10 to be worth bothering with - although energy draw may give them a viable role.

IS Streaks (3058) are streaks, how much do I need to explain here.

Medium Range Missiles (3058) are midrange brawling weapons and completely inaccurate garbage that only Kuritans think is good. They're huge (they come in MRM20, 30, and 40, and an MRM30 is a drop-in swap for an LRM20), hot, and shoot a lot of missiles, none of which ever hit. This could easily be a terrible wide-choke shotgun in MWO.

I'll do Clan poo poo and 3060s poo poo later if I feel like it.

Cease to Hope posted:

I feel like it.

All of the new 3050s IS gear is about catching up with the clans, both in-universe and in terms of the tabletop game rules, or it's weird experimental toys from the Solaris arenas. Clans didn't need to catch up and didn't participate in Solaris, so they got fewer new toys.

Clans:

ER Pulse Lasers (3057) combine most of the range of ER lasers with some of the accuracy boost of pulse lasers, but are as large as and run about half again as hot as pulse lasers. They're just not especially attractive: ERMPLs are the only decent ones, and they're just okay. They never catch on.

Heavy Lasers (3059) are a signature Smoke Jaguar weapon, and like the Smoke Jaguars, they're hopelessly awful garbage. They do an absolute shitload of damage - an HLL does 16 damage - but they're extremely hot, rather inaccurate, and short-ranged compared most clan lasers (on par with IS standard lasers). The accuracy penalty makes them more or less totally skippable in tabletop. It's hard to imagine what niche they'd fill in MWO.

Heavy MGs (3059) do slightly more damage for slightly more weight and mostly exist to give battle armor more weapon options and lead to less call for fractional accounting in MG-armed clan mechs. They'd probably be a useful upgrade on any clan mechs that used MGs.

I'll do 3060s weapons and non-weapon upgrades later.

• Locked thread