Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
I wonder where BDSM and other kinks interact with Xtian morality-- is any of sinful? Does the more "abusive" stuff do something to degrade the imago dei in the partner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

WerrWaaa posted:

I wonder where BDSM and other kinks interact with Xtian morality-- is any of sinful? Does the more "abusive" stuff do something to degrade the imago dei in the partner?

Ever watch Preacher?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

WerrWaaa posted:

I imagine Jesus would not have been down with fin dom. Or maybe he would've, actually?

Personally I don't see any problem with Christian morality and BDSM/kinks as long as there's mutual consent.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

WerrWaaa posted:

Don't make me post bdsm christology again

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

pidan posted:

I imagine protestant bdsm is discipline and abstinence.

Well... (NSFW, obviously)

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
:yikes:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Pellisworth posted:

Does Catholic BDSM involve hair shirts and hail Marys somehow

Does Orthodox BDSM involve calling your partner "daddy" but NOT "son"

Protestant BDSM is when there's no coffee at the potluck
protestant bdsm is enjoying yourself in any way whatsoever, which feels good but is forbidden

orthodox bdsm is remembering byzantium :qq:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Pellisworth posted:

I imagine Jesus would not have been down with fin dom. Or maybe he would've, actually?
he's the one meeting bankers with a whip, you ask him

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Samuel Clemens posted:

Well... (NSFW, obviously)

quote:

(This website is not intended to offend anyone. If the subject of wife spanking offends, please just click the little "x" at the top of the page to exit.)
see this is great advice, but i wish they had put it on the top of the page. they should take a note from the "don't like don't read" disclaimers that all those yaoi fanfictions from 200x had

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
As promised.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Keromaru5 posted:

As promised.

if you or anyone in this thread can read that title please let me know because i only know enough to know that i don't know the important bits

like that english doesn't look accurate because i don't see chyugokujin anywhere but i've only been at this three months maybe there's some new poo poo to describe chinese that i don't know

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
might want to crosspost it to the japanese expats thread

I see kanji and my brain just goes "nope."

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
i want to hear about bdsm and/or queer jesus

completely serious, thanks mo tzu

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

The Phlegmatist posted:

might want to crosspost it to the japanese expats thread

I see kanji and my brain just goes "nope."

I'm learning Chinese so the kanji is the only part I can work with. :v:

Looks like maybe something about secrets of scriptural divination that have been sealed for 2000 years and finally revealed in this shocking book. Nothing that seems to refer to China. :shrug:

Hopefully we can find some Japan goon to solve this one for us.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

P-Mack posted:

I'm learning Chinese so the kanji is the only part I can work with. :v:

Looks like maybe something about secrets of scriptural divination that have been sealed for 2000 years and finally revealed in this shocking book. Nothing that seems to refer to China. :shrug:

This is more or less right, here's my translation:

quote:

Undoing the 2000 year old seal of Christianity:
Bible and Yijing study (Yijing is one of the Chinese classical books that is often used for divination)
(The author's name may be Minakami Kun, but no guarantees on the pronunciation here)
(The big text on the banderole is a bit confusing, best guess:)
Read and understood from the Yijing, a shocking book!
(The small text is easy again)
The elites of Europe and the US and so on would
once they became aware of this book's content
come to feel a deep disappointment about their own culture

As I've mentioned my Japanese is bad, and I'm translating between two foreign languages, please be kind, namaste.

Mo Tzu posted:

like that english doesn't look accurate because i don't see chyugokujin anywhere but i've only been at this three months maybe there's some new poo poo to describe chinese that i don't know

This author seems like the type who would use shina rather than chuugoku anyway.

pidan fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jan 14, 2017

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pellisworth posted:

i want to hear about bdsm and/or queer jesus

completely serious, thanks mo tzu

i'm a bit out of the queer theology game, but i can try. not gonna talk about bdsm christology because lmao i do not want to talk about christ as the suffering bottom, that's just a bit too much for me

there's actually a lot of different queer christs, whether it's dale martin's "sex and the single savior" looking to queer readings of the new testament or patrick cheng's gay asian jesus, everyone seems to have an opinion on how to reconcile christ and clobber texts with their sexuality or gender identity (mostly it's sexuality; trans theologians are few and far between and they're not exactly in print these days, unless they're just... god i don't know how to describe how bad mollenkott is)

the one i like is fairly simple, and one that helped me come to terms with my sexuality; robert shore-goss' "jesus acted up: a gay and lesbian manifesto" is a good example of liberation theology meeting gay and lesbian experience (though marcella althaus-reid is probably a better example of that, i haven't read her as much as i did shore-goss). he talked about how lgbt people have been persecuted throughout history, how they're still being persecuted, and the church's role in perpetuating the aids crisis and how these things are contrary to christ's basileia teachings (which amount, essentially, to a utopian vision of human society in the eschaton, where oppression and suffering are gone; also, we have a responsibility to work towards that vision here on earth). i don't know, pretty simple, but i was a self loathing person deep in the closet and hearing that stuff made me go "oh it's okay to like dudes (and also to be trans)"

he also went into some sexual spirituality which, like, okay i'm not gonna lie if you're transitioning from "uptight sexually repressed closeted catholic gay" to "healthy sexuality" it can be helpful but it's still fuckin weird.

sorry for not going more into it, i find it kinda hard to talk about this kinda stuff lately. probably still a bit burned out on theology

pidan posted:

This is more or less right, here's my translation:

As I've mentioned my Japanese is bad, and I'm translating between two foreign languages, please be kind, namaste.

This author seems like the type who would use shina rather than chuugoku anyway.
so not new poo poo, just old poo poo they aren't going to teach you about unless you study the language super hard

also you'd think that me knowing 仏教 was buddhism would clue me in that クリスト教 would be christianity

also also thanks for giving me a reason to install a japanese keyboard on this computer, i've been dilly dallying about it

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Mo Tzu posted:

i'm a bit out of the queer theology game, but i can try. not gonna talk about bdsm christology because lmao i do not want to talk about christ as the suffering bottom, that's just a bit too much for me

It's too bad that complementarians and queer theologians have no overlap, because linking Eternal Subordination of the Son to BDSM Christology and coming up with BDSM Trinitarianism would be the best theological essay to read that will never be written.

e: In fact, thinking about it more, that would make the events at Calvary a "type" representing the economic relationship between the three Persons of the Trinity. I wonder if this heresy is a novel theological development.

The Phlegmatist fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 14, 2017

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

So, on a completely different note, has anyone else been reading what seems like an increasing number of opinion pieces about Pope Francis causing dissatisfaction / acting autocratically / furthering cronyism / etc?

I will admit that I was linked to this one by Fr. Z, but - take note, those of you who are pre-emptively rolling your eyes - he closed his comments on it, suggesting he wasn't just posting it so he could get his requisite sixty "rargh rargh Vatican II worst ever" comments for the day. In fact, he didn't even comment on it himself. "Why more and more priests can't stand Pope Francis"

Right after Pope Francis was elected I did a bunch of explaining "no, he didn't actually mean THAT, he meant THIS", and then when my non-Catholic friends stopped paying much attention just confined my "here we go again" grumbles to Spacewolf, because my sons are now old enough to get annoyed when I yell at the radio while I'm driving. But it seems like the pace of things I feel the impulse to explain (so as to make them fit into what the Catholic Church teaches) or can't help but wince about (when it's church-politics-mismanagement stuff) is picking up. Just me?

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."

The Phlegmatist posted:

e: In fact, thinking about it more, that would make the events at Calvary a "type" representing the economic relationship between the three Persons of the Trinity. I wonder if this heresy is a novel theological development.

It does sound like something someone might have considered before, but also like something I'd be fascinated to read about. I haven't encountered it that I can remember, but there's a whole lot of theology that I haven't encountered.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

zonohedron posted:

So, on a completely different note, has anyone else been reading what seems like an increasing number of opinion pieces about Pope Francis causing dissatisfaction / acting autocratically / furthering cronyism / etc?

I will admit that I was linked to this one by Fr. Z, but - take note, those of you who are pre-emptively rolling your eyes - he closed his comments on it, suggesting he wasn't just posting it so he could get his requisite sixty "rargh rargh Vatican II worst ever" comments for the day. In fact, he didn't even comment on it himself. "Why more and more priests can't stand Pope Francis"

Right after Pope Francis was elected I did a bunch of explaining "no, he didn't actually mean THAT, he meant THIS", and then when my non-Catholic friends stopped paying much attention just confined my "here we go again" grumbles to Spacewolf, because my sons are now old enough to get annoyed when I yell at the radio while I'm driving. But it seems like the pace of things I feel the impulse to explain (so as to make them fit into what the Catholic Church teaches) or can't help but wince about (when it's church-politics-mismanagement stuff) is picking up. Just me?

I have noticed this, too. I am reminded that Pope Francis himself prefers detractors to flattery.

"Detractors speak ill of me and I deserve it because I am a sinner: that's the way I see it. That doesn't worry me." I find his consistent humility very arresting, and it paradoxically makes me pay more attention to his wisdom. For myself, I can only say what is most sincerely in my spirit about Pope Francis: his pastorship has lead me away from temptation and closer towards God.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

zonohedron posted:

Is there a difference between setting up the best people for the job and people who are going to follow your particular brand of holiness in order to keep your faith around going into the next century? "Cronyism" can sometimes simply be used as an excuse to complain about why you might not be getting a promotion even though its actually because your bad at your job.

I don't fully understand the last bit of the sentence I quoted though, could you clarify?

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

zonohedron posted:

I always brace myself for "Pope's on the plane again, how is everyone going to take His Holiness' words wildly out of context to fit their agenda this time."

There's a lot of grumbling from unnamed sources in the Vatican about Pope Francis being an authoritarian dictator, but I'm not really sure I believe them since they seem to be coming from media that already has an ideological axe to grind. Pope Francis isn't a theologian and his papacy reflects that; he takes a pastoral approach to everything.

On the other hand he's elevated cardinals from untraditional archbishoprics just because they agree with him ideologically, which a little bit disconcerting in that he's setting a nasty precedent.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Josef bugman posted:

Is there a difference between setting up the best people for the job and people who are going to follow your particular brand of holiness in order to keep your faith around going into the next century? "Cronyism" can sometimes simply be used as an excuse to complain about why you might not be getting a promotion even though its actually because your bad at your job.

I don't fully understand the last bit of the sentence I quoted though, could you clarify?

"But it seems like the pace of things I feel the impulse to explain (so as to make them fit into what the Catholic Church teaches) or can't help but wince about (when it's church-politics-mismanagement stuff) is picking up. Just me?"

"I've been doing this since Pope Francis was elected, but it feels like the number of stories that make me yell at the radio have gone up. Some of them are things I feel like I should be explaining to non-Catholics, so they understand that Catholic doctrines aren't changing; some of them are just things that make me make angry faces, because they're about Pope Francis playing politics in ways I don't like."

The Phlegmatist posted:

On the other hand he's elevated cardinals from untraditional archbishoprics just because they agree with him ideologically, which a little bit disconcerting in that he's setting a nasty precedent.

It's not just a nasty precedent (though it is) - it can be an unpleasant surprise for dioceses that don't have a lot of money.

VoteTedJameson
Jan 10, 2014

And stack the four!
Hi Christian Goons. Here's some stuff.
I struggle terribly with faith, or, more accurately speaking, I struggle to have faith. I was raised by a scornful, frothy-mouthed atheist dad and a reasonably Episcopalian ma, who didn't practice at all from the time she was young, on account of marrying the aforementioned Dad. In short, irreligious. I had moments of smug atheist-ery in my adolescence but I mercifully grew out of them.
Where I stand now is that, I find myself drawn to Christianity. I had the amazing good fortune to spend a semester in France in college and I remember sitting in the church in Rouen (built on the site of Saint Joan of Arc's martyrdom) in a pew and being totally emotionally overwhelmed by the sensation that sounds like how Christians describe "the presence", even though it feels hypocritical of me to call it as much.
I read passages from Christian thinkers, mostly Church Fathers, and I feel an overwhelming...draw? Compulsion? To them? When I'm troubled, and I mean deeply troubled about something- this isn't for the small stuff- I try to pray. I pray to how I conceive a big, omnibeneveloent, Christian God to be. But, again, I feel a little like a hypocrite given that I'm not part of that tradition and I don't know if I'm doing it right. Or if there is a right way, or if maybe I'm just deluding myself.
I deal with chronic pain from an old injury and I know that relief from pain can cause euphoria. I wonder sometimes if my flirtations with religious thinking feel so "right" because they ease my worries and emotional suffering. I know its a real possibility and that gnaws at me.
Basically I feel called to participate in some kind of Christian practice. I don't know how to do so, or why I feel compelled. But I know that it feels right and good when I try. I wrestle with this feeling.
I am also generally of the opinion that while I may never fully assure myself of the existence of God, or that Christian worship is the right way to experience contact with said God, that the ethical foundation of Chtistianity- i.e. forgiveness, mercy, serving the poorest and most vulnerable, is so commendable that the actual metaphysical elements might be irrelevant.

I guess I don't have a question. There's not even much of a statement in there. I just wanted to spill all of this nonsense out somewhere, to someone. So there you go. Make of that what you will.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

VoteTedJameson posted:

I struggle terribly with faith, or, more accurately speaking, I struggle to have faith. I was raised by a scornful, frothy-mouthed atheist dad and a reasonably Episcopalian ma, who didn't practice at all from the time she was young, on account of marrying the aforementioned Dad. In short, irreligious. I had moments of smug atheist-ery in my adolescence but I mercifully grew out of them.
Where I stand now is that, I find myself drawn to Christianity. I had the amazing good fortune to spend a semester in France in college and I remember sitting in the church in Rouen (built on the site of Saint Joan of Arc's martyrdom) in a pew and being totally emotionally overwhelmed by the sensation that sounds like how Christians describe "the presence", even though it feels hypocritical of me to call it as much.
I read passages from Christian thinkers, mostly Church Fathers, and I feel an overwhelming...draw? Compulsion? To them? When I'm troubled, and I mean deeply troubled about something- this isn't for the small stuff- I try to pray. I pray to how I conceive a big, omnibeneveloent, Christian God to be. But, again, I feel a little like a hypocrite given that I'm not part of that tradition and I don't know if I'm doing it right. Or if there is a right way, or if maybe I'm just deluding myself.
I deal with chronic pain from an old injury and I know that relief from pain can cause euphoria. I wonder sometimes if my flirtations with religious thinking feel so "right" because they ease my worries and emotional suffering. I know its a real possibility and that gnaws at me.
Basically I feel called to participate in some kind of Christian practice. I don't know how to do so, or why I feel compelled. But I know that it feels right and good when I try. I wrestle with this feeling.
I am also generally of the opinion that while I may never fully assure myself of the existence of God, or that Christian worship is the right way to experience contact with said God, that the ethical foundation of Chtistianity- i.e. forgiveness, mercy, serving the poorest and most vulnerable, is so commendable that the actual metaphysical elements might be irrelevant.

I guess I don't have a question. There's not even much of a statement in there. I just wanted to spill all of this nonsense out somewhere, to someone. So there you go. Make of that what you will.

Welcome brother

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

VoteTedJameson posted:

this is cool, everything is fine, what you're doing is ok because everyone is actually super limited and unsure of themselves, it's the nature of humanity. come post here with us.

we like silly hats and The Gay Agenda and people who suck

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
also i'm drunk

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Hi Gail. I'm working on it, too. Finally going to Compline tomorrow and I'm stoked!

Also welcome TedJameson.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

VoteTedJameson posted:

:justpost: dude

If you have any questions post 'em and you'll get a ton of diverse responses.

Without revealing any more personal information than you're comfortable with, what nation are you in and what denomination are your local churches?

If you're interested in Christianity, the first steps are to start reading a Bible and attend services at your local churches to check things out. Assuming you're American, you should at least have several Protestants and a Catholic church nearby. If there are any Orthodox in your area, check them out too it's a good contrast. Any congregation should be very open and welcome to you, even if you don't convert to their denomination they will shower you in hospitality and food.

You might ask for recommendations where to start reading the Bible, and also research local churches and plan to attend some services to try them out.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

VoteTedJameson posted:

this is cool, and you're cool

on the topic of serving the poorest, you reminded me about fritz eichenberg, an artist who made a lot of illustrations for the catholic worker newspaper. i just looked up his religious background, and he came from a non-religious jewish family, left germany before the holocaust, and after practicing zen buddhism converted to the society of friends where he met dorothy day at some conference. his work is really, really good

this is "christ of the breadlines"

"christ of the homeless"

"black crucifixion"

it's kinda hard to find good quality images of his art online, and i'm pretty sure that has something to do with copyright stuff. something about how his estate and the catholic workers have some kind of conflict? i don't know i haven't looked into it in a while

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

WerrWaaa posted:

Hi Gail. I'm working on it, too.
hey, it's still me, i wanted to change my name back to hegel because the old one was too feminine but the admins had other ideas

got ripped with a croatian dude at church tonight and we discussed ww2 because he saw a book i had with me, history is good and talking with friends is good :cheers:

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jan 15, 2017

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
history is bad, actually. like, overwhelmingly so

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Mo Tzu posted:

it's a nightmare from which we're trying to awake, op

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

HEY GAIL posted:

it's a nightmare from which we're trying to awake, op

Plato complained about kids these days, there are dick jokes in the graffiti inscribed in Pompeii, and Shakespeare wrote "Yeah but I boned your mom!" jokes in his plays.

Human nature is not going to change and never has.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

Mo Tzu posted:

History rules, especially the parts where heads are split open (cooler than decapitation imo, unless the decapitation is done by something weird like a suspension bridge cable)

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

History rules, especially the parts where heads are split open (cooler than decapitation imo, unless the decapitation is done by something weird like a suspension bridge cable)

It didn't have much to do with Christianity but listen to hardcore history about the golden horde

http://www.dancarlin.com/product/hardcore-history-43-wrath-of-the-khans-i/

Skull piles for miles

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Plato complained about kids these days, there are dick jokes in the graffiti inscribed in Pompeii, and Shakespeare wrote "Yeah but I boned your mom!" jokes in his plays.

Human nature is not going to change and never has.

Yeah but one of these days Jesus is going to come back and there will be a new heaven and new earth, read yer bible

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
History owns, especially the parts where dudes wearing leather skirts led by men in white dresses conquered most of Europe and a hefty chunk of Africa and Asia.

Then.....the pants peoples came.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Ceciltron posted:

History owns, especially the parts where dudes wearing leather skirts led by men in white dresses conquered most of Europe and a hefty chunk of Africa and Asia.

Then.....the pants peoples came.

This is why Hillary wasn't allowed to be president

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

syscall girl posted:

It didn't have much to do with Christianity but listen to hardcore history about the golden horde

http://www.dancarlin.com/product/hardcore-history-43-wrath-of-the-khans-i/

Skull piles for miles

In a later episode he gets into the letters back and forth between the Pope and the Khan which are pretty awesome.

Guyuk Khan to Pope Innocent IV posted:

If bearer of this petition reaches you with his own report, you, who are the great Pope, together with all the Princes, must come in person to serve us.

Through the power of God, all empires from the rising of the sun to its setting have been given to us and we own them. How could anyone achieve anything except by God’s order? Now, however, you must say with a sincere heart: “We shall be obedient, we, too, make our strength available. You personally, at the head of the Kings, you shall come, one and all, to pay homage to me and to serve me. Then we shall take note of your submission. If, however, you do not accept God’s order and act against our command, we shall know that you are our enemies.

This is what we make known to you. If you act against it, how then can we know what will happen? Only God knows.

And hello VoteTedJameson! Thanks for sharing your awesome story.

• Locked thread