Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

v2vian man posted:

yes, that's why you put him on the field

lol if you think that NFL players know all or even most of the rules. A nontrivial percentage of players don't know that NFL games can end in a tie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Tannehill doesn't even know the teams he plays against.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
That was the closest 38-13 game you're ever gonna see. Giants don't drop 2 touchdown passes, DRC doesn't die, and those two rock gently caress stupid mistakes don't happen and we win that game easy. Okay I guess that's a lot of things. Still felt like we were moving along really well for a minute there and I had high hopes.

We need an offensive line and our defense needs depth. We have 4 really good dbs and the drop afterwards is precipitous.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
https://www.instagram.com/p/BPEXXrshX5H/

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Kirk Cousins is turning into Eli Manning.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Broncos defense: :hellyeah:
Broncos offense: poop emoji

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Things that made you happy:
Noted good QB and Weihenstephaner drinker Carson Wentz.

Things that surprised you in a good way: The team's record through about week 6. Trading Bradford felt like punting on the season so to perform at all was nice.

Favorite Player this season: Brandon Graham.

Unsung hero: Special teams coach Dave Fipp

The Eagles have had excellent special teams for several years now and I never hear anyone mention the Fipper and his giant eyes.

Player you hated beyond belief this season: The wide receivers. Agholor was pure trash. Green-Beckham is a huge 6'5 dude who plays like he's 4'3 and looks like he doesn't give a poo poo.

Worst storyline about your team: There was some brief chatter about Doug Pederson being fired later in the season for the team's collapse. Are you loving kidding me? "A 1st-year HC with an incomplete roster and a rookie QB didn't perform down the stretch yeah gently caress him" :jerkbag:

Minor: "This is the year Ertz steps up!" No it isn't. This has been said every year since he was drafted. He's a guy who flashes sometimes and then does nothing for a few games. That's what he is.

Best win of the season: Pounding the Steelers to a fine paste. Close second is the Vikings win since the Vikes were looking really good at the time and Sam Bradford.

Worst loss of the season: Week 8 against the Cowboys. That was totally winnable. Also it is my opinion that gently caress da Cowboys.

Funniest moment of the season: Mark Sanchez's revenge game.

Do you have hope or despair for the future: Hope. It looks like we've found the most difficult piece in Carson Wentz. This team needs a pretty big talent infusion though, at WR obviously but also at corner and a bit on the offensive line with how old Peters is getting.

Does anything actually matter: Not really but I've never understood why people treat this as a reason to despair. Nobody is keeping a tally. Go out at midnight and appreciate the thick silence of a world when it's 5 degrees out and there's a foot of snow on everything. Have a smoke in the laundry room. Even if someone catches you doing this you'll be dead at about, oh, say 75-80, and nobody will remember the little infractions like this. None of it matters. No one's keeping score. In the future the chalkboard will be cleared and tomorrow someone else will be the one to vacuum your life's little confettis out of the carpet. You're free.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Cam Wake is 34 and still had 11.5 sacks and an INT this season

And 9 holding penalties committed against lol

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

R.D. Mangles posted:

Do you have hope or despair for the future: The Bears are hosed for the forseeable future, the only thing I can hope for is that Aaron Rodgers finds a higher calling than professional football and retires to a life of wealth and comfort and not ruining the sport by being impossibly good.

It's still mind-boggling that the Bears dealt with Favre sticking a screwdriver up their rear end twice a year for fifteen years, and then he fucks off to New York, everyone breathes a sigh of relief ... but wait! Here comes Rodgers, and he's traded that screwdriver for a Sawzall. :suicide:

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

No Irish Need Imply posted:

I'm pretty sure Marvin is gone after next year regardless.

I want Fisher at RT more, he has promise.

Rest of this, agreed.

I need to see more from Jake. He could be the guy going forward if he keeps developing but I wasn't overly impressed with him in his admittedly limited action this season. Definitely prefer to see him getting played over Ogbuehi at any rate but IMO if we can't get Whit and Zeitler back we won't have any choice at RT. God I hope we resign those dudes, next season's gonna be a nightmare otherwise

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Things that made you happy: Bears draft class. Howard, Whitehair and Floyd all look like they could be impact players going forward. Hell, Howard was an impact player now.

Things that surprised you in a good way: Bears front seven on defense. Very much improved.

Things that surprised you in a bad way: Our secondary. They were pretty terrible.

Favorite Player this season: Jordan Howard

Unsung hero: Cody Whitehair. Even with Long and Sitton constantly hurt, he held that offensive line together.

Player you hated beyond belief this season: Logan Paulson. You are a blocking tight end who gets called for holding EVERY loving TIME!!

Worst storyline about your team: John Fox / Vic Fangio rift. I'm still holding my breath.

Most unappreciated aspect to the team this year by everyone: Vic Fangio

Best win of the season: Vikings.

Worst loss of the season: Jacksonville or Tampa. Both games made you think the Bears were ready to turn it around, but then they just embarrassed themselves.

What the team needs to do this offseason:

Upgrade at LT and get some secondary help. Just build more depth on the roster. Resign Alshon. Get a quarterback.

Funniest moment of the season:

People thinking Barkley could be the answer a quarterback.

Do you have hope or despair for the future:

Hope. Assuming they don't do something dumb like firing Fangio, things are pointed in the right direction.

Does anything actually matter

Matter matters

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Kawalimus posted:

But in hindsight I'm glad Billy Cundiff missed that field goal and Lee Evans lost that pass because we would have had to face the Giants franchise again. Instead we got a shot at the 49ers

What the. That's now how that works at all

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Borsche69 posted:

Yes it is. There's a cosmic order to the universe, well mostly football games, which Kawalimus has tapped into by brilliantly memorizing the exact dimensions of the 1958 Union Pacific steam locomotive class

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Borsche69 posted:

You're talking about a guy that posted "49ers win that game 99 times out of 100" after the Ravens won their second Lombardi. This after weeks of guarantees that the 49ers were going to blow the Ravens out of the water.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Things that made you happy: Antonio Gates tying the all time TD record

Things that surprised you in a good way: Joey Bosa

Things that surprised you in a bad way: Antonio Gates being awful

Favorite Player this season: Joey Bosa

Unsung hero: Casey Hayward

Player you hated beyond belief this season: Joe Barksdale

Worst storyline about your team: Moving to LA

Most unappreciated aspect to the team this year by everyone: Secondary play

Best win of the season: Denver

Worst loss of the season: San Diego

What the team needs to do this offseason: Come back to San Diego

Funniest moment of the season: Leaving San Diego

Do you have hope or despair for the future: lol

Does anything actually matter lol
[/quote]

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Things that made you happy: Christian Kirksey's 100 tackles and Terrell Pryor's 1000 yards

Things that surprised you in a good way: Danny Shelton being a competent starter

Things that surprised you in a bad way: And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead Quarterbacks

Favorite Player this season: Christian Kirksey

Unsung hero: Christian Kirksey

Player you hated beyond belief this season: Jamie Collins

Worst storyline about your team: drafting a quarterback

Most unappreciated aspect to the team this year by everyone: the run game put up the best average yardage in decades

Best win of the season: shut up

Worst loss of the season: 1st Ravens

What the team needs to do this offseason: Not draft one of those lovely QB's in the first 2 rounds.

Funniest moment of the season: After showing off all off preseason and training camp that he could slide, get out of bounds or throw it away: http://www.nfl.com/videos/cleveland-browns/0ap3000000701289/Robert-Griffin-III-sustains-shoulder-injury-Week-1

Do you have hope or despair for the future: We still have Hue and the new DC has a solid track record. The Factory of Sadness requires fuel.

Does anything actually matter:

Ches Neckbeard fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jan 13, 2017

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Things that made you happy: mediocre escapism

Things that surprised you in a good way: CJ Uzomah is good

Things that surprised you in a bad way: Offensive line badly stanked

Favorite Player this season: andey

Unsung hero: Will Clarke

Player you hated beyond belief this season: n/a

Worst storyline about your team: "Dre Kirkpatrick is a top 10 corner" by some horrible announcer. don't give a gently caress or know any stories

Most unappreciated aspect to the team this year by everyone: The rookie WR class is gonna be good as hell

Best win of the season: First Cleveland game was funny and fun

Worst loss of the season: The Dallas game since it was way more domination than any other in spite of the score

What the team needs to do this offseason: suddenly a lot. Pretty sure there won't be much done though

Funniest moment of the season: When AJ Green got put on IR at the last second after thinking he would play

Do you have hope or despair for the future: no

Does anything actually matter weightlifting fairy kim bok-joo

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jan 13, 2017

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Gay Horney posted:

That was the closest 38-13 game you're ever gonna see. Giants don't drop 2 touchdown passes, DRC doesn't die, and those two rock gently caress stupid mistakes don't happen and we win that game easy. Okay I guess that's a lot of things. Still felt like we were moving along really well for a minute there and I had high hopes.

We need an offensive line and our defense needs depth. We have 4 really good dbs and the drop afterwards is precipitous.

And if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle. OBJ got shut down, and without him the Giants don't have poo poo-all on offense.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Things that made you happy: We actually won some games that I didn't expect us to at all! The defense did work!

Things that surprised you in a good way: Brent Grimes isn't washed up yet. Hopefully he keeps it up next year.

Things that surprised you in a bad way: Our run game was not nearly as good as last year. I don't know if it was the RBs, the O-Line or the playcalling but it just did not come together right except for a couple good games by Jacquizz Rodgers. Also our second round kicker.

Favorite Player this season: Mike Evans is a golden god

Unsung hero: Bryan Anger

Player you hated beyond belief this season: I wasn't mad at too many players this year, I was ready to be mad at Doug Martin for being poo poo again but drug problems are no joke. Cecil Shorts probably made me most mad. It took weeks for Winston to actually complete a pass to him and I swear half his picks were on throws to Shorts. Oh wait, we have a second round kicker.

Worst storyline about your team: We traded up to draft a kicker in the second round. And he's bad. But he might not be cause he did well in the second half of the season. But they never had him kick from longer than 40 yards towards the end of the season. The worst thing was the sycophant beat writers praising the move for the entire summer and then calling for the GM's head during preseason.

Most unappreciated aspect to the team this year by everyone: Kwon Alexander lead the league in Solo Tackles and got snubbed on the All Pro lists and with the Pro Bowl(though he is an alternate). He was much better in coverage this year and he had splash plays too besides just good tackle amounts. I don't know why people sleep on him, he's fantastic.

Best win of the season: Probably the win against the Seahawks. I was at the Jets-Pats game that night and was way more invested in the brief clips of the Bucs that gone shown on the Big Screens during times outs and commercial breaks. I got to see a couple sacks on Wilson and a couple dope Mike Evans passes all while my Jet-fan friends were despairing.

Worst loss of the season: Falcons on TNF. gently caress the Falcons, gently caress TNF.

What the team needs to do this offseason: Get another WR to pair with Evans, get a good Safety, reevaluate our play calling/play caller. I'm happy with Koetter in general, but even he thinks they might have to make a change on who calls the plays. Depth is always good.

Funniest moment of the season: I can't remember which game it was but there was a silly alley oop type play on special teams to pin our opponent at the 1.

Do you have hope or despair for the future: Hope! Especially now that we've made sure Mike Smith will still be DC next year

Does anything actually matter Nope

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Cavauro posted:

Things that surprised you in a good way: CJ Uzomah is good

Favorite Player this season: andey

Unsung hero: Will Clarke

Most unappreciated aspect to the team this year by everyone: The rookie WR class is gonna be good as hell

What the team needs to do this offseason: suddenly a lot. Pretty sure there won't be much done though
1. I don't know if he's good. I think it's telling he can only make it on the field when the Tylers are injured.
2. andey
3. Yeah I like him as a rotational player. I don't know if he sticks around after next year but I hope he does.
4. Boyd and Core... I luv them. Both gotta step up tho
5. What is "a lot"? Aside from taking care of 3-4 contracts, they are pretty stable. They do need to stop playing old guys, though. Let's hope that changes.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Things that made you happy: The Giants lost in the playoffs.

Things that surprised you in a good way: A few young WR's and Brandon Shell

Things that surprised you in a bad way:
How horrific the defense was and how uninterested Revis was all season.

Favorite Player this season: Leo Williams is cool and good.

Unsung hero: Eric Decker.

Player you hated beyond belief this season: Three way tie. Revis/Wilkerson/Richardson. Wilkerson got paid and then played like a dog all season. Richardson is an overrated moron who destroyed any trade value he had and revis didn't even try this season.

Worst storyline about your team: The Coach lost the locker room. The season spun out of control after 1-4 and the talent just wasn't there. It wasn't a locker room issue.

Most unappreciated aspect to the team this year by everyone: How soft they were this season. Just zero fight from most of the players after week 1.

Best win of the season: None

Worst loss of the season: Week 1 vs the Bengles. Completely dominate the game at the LOS and then lose because of awful Red Zone offense and a missed XP. Set the tone for the rest of the season.

What the team needs to do this offseason: Completely revamp the OL and Secondary. Get rid of pretty much everyone over 27. Get a stopgap QB.

Funniest moment of the season:
I'm going to go for most pathetic moment of the season. The entire D taking a pass on hitting brady when he was out in front of a running play.

Do you have hope or despair for the future: Despair. I don't trust the coach, the FO or the owner to do anything right.

Does anything actually matter No

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

1. I don't know if he's good. I think it's telling he can only make it on the field when the Tylers are injured.
2. andey
3. Yeah I like him as a rotational player. I don't know if he sticks around after next year but I hope he does.
4. Boyd and Core... I luv them. Both gotta step up tho
5. What is "a lot"? Aside from taking care of 3-4 contracts, they are pretty stable. They do need to stop playing old guys, though. Let's hope that changes.

1. war eagle
5. I accidentally read that question as "how the heck are you going to get to the super bowl" and got overwhelmed with needed improvements that are unlikely to happen, and the potential of the one key lineman loss that isn't improbable to happen or the two key lineman loss that is unlikely but still gives me a little bit of concern

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 13, 2017

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer
Things that made you happy: Rivers didn't get killed.

Things that surprised you in a good way: Jatavis Brown

Things that surprised you in a bad way: Coaches being poo poo with their jobs on the line and just phoning it in again.

Favorite Player this season: Casey Hayward

Unsung hero: Tie between Brandon Mebane and Matt Slausen for all the same reasons.

Player you hated beyond belief this season: Jahleel Addae

Worst storyline about your team: Are they/aren't they moving? The answer to THAT question is coming....right now. Yes.

Most unappreciated aspect to the team this year by everyone: Melvin Gordon being a baller.

Best win of the season: Denver. Yeah. That game owned.

Worst loss of the season: San Diego

What the team needs to do this offseason: Let their good players go to better teams.

Funniest moment of the season: On the field: Denzel Perryman's stuffing the Falcons on 4th&1 in overtime to set up a short field to win the game.

Do you have hope or despair for the future: Neither, I'm moving on to a different team. They're in the playoffs now, but I expect that to change this weekend.

Does anything actually matter Dean Spanos

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

You're talking about a guy that posted "49ers win that game 99 times out of 100" after the Ravens won their second Lombardi. This after weeks of guarantees that the 49ers were going to blow the Ravens out of the water.

99 out of 100 is probably over the top. If I said that I was pushing it. It's more like 8 out of 10 or so. The 49ers were a better team and would have blown out the Ravens if LaMichael James didn't fumble that ball early on. That was a major swing in that game. The 49ers were going to go up 10-7 but the Ravens recovered his fumble and drove down the field to make it 14-3 in their favor. If that didn't happen I guarantee you the 49ers go on to win this game by a comfortable margin. And you saw our Dean Pees late-game defense in action. They just fall apart. Though they have the excuse of losing Ngata.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Kawalimus posted:

If that didn't happen I guarantee you the 49ers go on to win this game by a comfortable margin.

i guarantee you it didn't happen though so it doesn't matter

i wonder how the bucs could have lost in 2002...

no i don't because they won and it rules.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TBeats posted:

Man, that Tampa/Oakland Superbowl was memorable, just for how bad that asskicking was.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

whiteyfats posted:

Man, that Tampa/Oakland Superbowl was memorable, just for how bad that asskicking was.
It owned

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Except for the part where Warren Sapp got a ring.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
^^--yeah but that's canceled out by Derrick Brooks who really really deserved a ring.

whiteyfats posted:

So many weird things going on with that game. Gruden playing his old team, everything about Callahan's stupidity not realizing that he was playing against his old coach, Barret Robbins going crazy and loving off to Mexico the night before the goddamned Super Bowl.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Heh I forgot all about him.

quote:

Robbins later told his wife that he had spent most of the day before the Super Bowl partying across the border in Tijuana, and actually thought the Raiders had already won the game and he was celebrating their victory.

Oy vey, his life since being cut by the Raiders is not a good read.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

TBeats posted:

Yeah and they haven't done a drat thing since. That's why you have to appreciate these things when they happen. I know it will probably be a long time before my own team wins again so I will always remember these two Superbowl teams I was lucky enough to see. I didn't see the Colts win any national championship or Superbowl V. But I'm glad cause SB 5 was possibly the worst Superbowl ever played. But I'd still take the victory just wouldn't want to see it I bet. Even a losing player got MVP it was so bad. But I'm lucky I saw the Ravens win twice. And I even saw the Maryland Terrapins win a college basketball tournament even though I don't care as much about that. But they've been a joke team since. And their fans are terrible.

But again I always look back and comment on those teams because they're the exception to the rule. Most times you end the season in a loss. But those few times you end in a win. And some never do. Look at San Diego Chargers fans their fans will never see a Superbowl win now. Unless they move back.

Personally I think the Bucs defense in 2002 were better than the 2000 Ravens defense.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
kill me

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Same but void every one of the Steelers' wins first so I can experience happiness

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Kawalimus posted:

That's why you have to appreciate these things when they happen.

yeah i appreciate their 2002 win by talking about all of the ways they could have possibly lost

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Ches Neckbeard posted:

What the team needs to do this offseason: Not draft one of those lovely QB's in the first 2 rounds.
you don't want any of the guys in the first two rounds? i don't know much about them but it's basically a guarantee they draft one of them imo. how could you not, as a GM

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

v2vian man posted:

you don't want any of the guys in the first two rounds? i don't know much about them but it's basically a guarantee they draft one of them imo. how could you not, as a GM

If we weren't stocked with holes I'd be willing to take a shot on one because I like taking long shots. I think both are longer shots than normal to be startable Alex Smith/Tyrod Taylor guys not elite talent. With the holes we have we can't go wrong grabbing best available (before QB panic dipshittery) for what should be bare minimum competent starters. I personally don't want any of the QB's though I know it's basically assured that we pick one of these busts because sports writers will call for their heads if they don't and when the dude is a bust call for heads anyway. Taking the short term heat till the busts happen then get lauded for your foresight beats long term heat from wasting another 1st rounder "like cleveland always does hurrr" then Jimmy caves and the cycle continues.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
what does "best available" mean to you? how can you say with pick #12 that jabrill peppers is better than deshaun watson? how much would a good safety or cornerback or whatever really help us compared to a potential starter at qb

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

The problem is startable Tyrod/Alex level is their ceiling in my book and I think it's highly unlikely any of these guys make it there. If it were a done deal that we'd be getting that sure fine and dandy I'd be happy with that pick. People have been really talking themselves into liking the QB's this go around vs actually being excited which is telling of what scouts and writers really think about this crop. People were excited for Watson before the season started then his stock dropped like a rock after a few games (I saw as low as the 6th round grades. not saying that's what I think of his value) then bowl season started it shot back up to the 1st and now possible top 10 because of flat out thirst not actual talent.

Best available for me is flat out risk management when dealing with this many the holes in a team. Getting guaranteed starters with the highest upside is my thought process here. Toss in the high probability of getting fired by trigger happy Jimmy and some writers already wanting heads (loving Grossi) especially the worse they do in this draft. Like the front office or not we need them to stick around because nobody is coming to Cleveland with Flying J Haslam as owner if he fires them to quickly.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Ches Neckbeard posted:

People have been really talking themselves into liking the QB's this go around vs actually being excited which is telling of what scouts and writers really think about this crop. People were excited for Watson before the season started then his stock dropped like a rock after a few games (I saw as low as the 6th round grades. not saying that's what I think of his value) then bowl season started it shot back up to the 1st and now possible top 10 because of flat out thirst not actual talent.

The thing about scouts and writers is, for people who are being paid to do what they do, they are loving incredibly bad at what they do. Like, if it were any other line of work, their abysmal miss-rate would be fireable.

e: case in point

https://twitter.com/afc2nfc/status/819926006479908866

Alaois fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jan 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
I mean, if you put an early second round grade on a QB, then wait until the early second round to draft him, you're going to find he was picked 20 picks earlier. And maybe you were right in your grade and he turns out to be an early second round kinda guy, great, but in the meantime you're starting 39-year-old Josh McCown

• Locked thread