Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
Btw everyone got the neon color Switch right?

Can't imagine who would go for boring grey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Lemming posted:

I think the distinction is between the technology and the software. I would argue there could absolutely be AAA quality games made for it right now if the investment were there, because the hardware is sufficiently good. I also agree that that's not the world we live in, and most people shouldn't get any VR headset because they're too hard for the average consumer to setup, too expensive, and the software isn't good enough yet.

A lot of people conflate the quality of the hardware with the quality of the software, and I think that's where you get pushback. The software is good enough that you can see the potential and have a lot of fun with it if that's your thing, and I absolutely agree that it isn't going to be worth it for most people, but that doesn't mean that the potential isn't there or that VR is a fad that's just going to die out.

I'm just skeptical. Sony at least has a higher rate of dropping their expensive gimmicks than Nintendo does.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Chairman Wao posted:

This is on par with the Xbone and "NO SEE THERE'S HIDDEN HARDWARE IT'S ACTUALLY GOOD"

Are you stupid or something? That's not what I said. I'm not insinuating additional hardware where none exists.

What I'm saying, is that when Nintendo inevitably releases a hardware upgrade (New 3DS/DSi, and let's face it; they will), they can both sell a full SKU like the Switch, and they can sell a tablet-only upgrade, that's compatible with the original joycons and dock that you already own.
The dock is a glorified charger and hdmi dongle, and the controllers just need Wi-Fi/Bluetooth compatibility.

Only the tablet actually provides the cpu, gpu, internal storage, battery, and screen. I should be able to just buy that when Switch Plus comes out, trade in the old one, and save a hundred bucks.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

TFRazorsaw posted:

I'm just skeptical. Sony at least has a higher rate of dropping their expensive gimmicks than Nintendo does.

The problem with PSVR is they tried to use the Move controllers instead of making something better, so while it sort of works, it's incredibly janky. I think the future is going to be PC for now, but the technology needs to catch up more before there's widespread adoption. I don't think it's going to live or die by what Sony does. The technology, when it works, is just so compelling that I don't think there's any way it doesn't succeed at some point. Literally every person I've shown mine to (I have a Vive and a Rift) has been super impressed. I think when the resolution's a bit better, everything's wireless, and you don't need external things (cameras or lighthouses) to track then that's when it'll become mainstream.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

arms

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mister Macys posted:

You know... it just occurred to me, that the way Nintendo designed their console, the only thing you need to upgrade for a new version is the tablet part. It's stupid easy to upgrade. They can beat MS and Sony at the twice/thrice yearly upgrade path, because all the parts that NEED to be upgraded are in the tablet. The cpu/gpu, memory, battery, and screen. You just trade in the screen at gamestop/Nintendo, and buy a "Switch 20xx Upgrade Kit" for two hundred, and boom, new graphics while still having full compatibility. And Nintendo/gamestop resells the used screen with new kit as refurbished.

Of course, it'll never actually happen, but it gives me hope.

The tablet part is literally the whole console though. The stand is only for providing more ports, that's it. So saying the tablet is the only thing that would need upgrading is like saying you only need to upgrade your PS4 but your cords and controllers still work.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Lemming posted:

The problem with PSVR is they tried to use the Move controllers instead of making something better, so while it sort of works, it's incredibly janky. I think the future is going to be PC for now, but the technology needs to catch up more before there's widespread adoption. I don't think it's going to live or die by what Sony does. The technology, when it works, is just so compelling that I don't think there's any way it doesn't succeed at some point. Literally every person I've shown mine to (I have a Vive and a Rift) has been super impressed. I think when the resolution's a bit better, everything's wireless, and you don't need external things (cameras or lighthouses) to track then that's when it'll become mainstream.

I have no issues with the technology, just as I have no issues with the idea of motion controls. It's what developers' visions for it happen to be, and I just don't know if the game designers have the dedication for it when they've shown themselves to grow quickly tired of things that don't involve traditional experiences or input.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

wrote a song about the switch anybody want to hear it

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
So is the power as bad as everyone assumed?

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

TFRazorsaw posted:

I have no issues with the technology, just as I have no issues with the idea of motion controls. It's what developers' visions for it happen to be, and I just don't know if the game designers have the dedication for it when they've shown themselves to grow quickly tired of things that don't involve traditional experiences or input.

i'm sure they are going to find a way to fill it with cutscenes and QTEs, nothing to worry about.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

trash person posted:

It's me. I'm boring. I want the boring color. I got the boring color. Thank you.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

TFRazorsaw posted:

I agree, it is difficult to figure out, and I think only a few teams have really nailed it, and often that's confined to a few things like wave shooters which are fairly simple. That's why I'm glad Nintendo is sticking with it and doing stuff like

because it look sick and like something that will work a lot better with motion controls than without.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Harrow posted:

The tablet part is literally the whole console though.

Yes, and when the inevitable Switch Plus comes out, I want to buy just that part, and have it be compatible with the dock and joycons from the Switch OG.

How is this hard to understand?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Fulchrum posted:

So is the power as bad as everyone assumed?

2.5-6 hours depending on the game. 3DS had 3-5

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

trash person posted:

I got boring grey but also I got an extra set of controllers that were neon, so it's gonna be 50/50 as to what's on there.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE

8-bit Miniboss posted:

It's me. I'm boring. I want the boring color. I got the boring color. Thank you.

Me too. Boring forever 🙌🏼

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I got boring grey because having two different colors is offensive to me on a visceral level

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The neon controllers are cute in promos, but I don't like the mismatch, so I got the grey. If there was a SKU where the system, dock, AND controllers were all red or all blue or w/e, I might have gone for that.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If the shell and charger were actually red/blue I would have at least considered a color. The controllers are going to be on the dock most of the time and would stand out.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Mister Macys posted:

Yes, and when the inevitable Switch Plus comes out, I want to buy just that part, and have it be compatible with the dock and joycons from the Switch OG.

How is this hard to understand?

at this point of the hypothetical scenario, I flashback to the New Nintendo 3DS reveal and how everyone cried foul that they were releasing it without a charge cable.

Same thing would happen here.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Supercar Gautier posted:

The neon controllers are cute in promos, but I don't like the mismatch, so I got the grey. If there was a SKU where the system, dock, AND controllers were all red or all blue or w/e, I might have gone for that.

Yeah I would have gotten two blue if available

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

at this point of the hypothetical scenario, I flashback to the New Nintendo 3DS reveal and how everyone cried foul that they were releasing it without a charge cable.

Same thing would happen here.

They would have to sell a full SKU as well for new customers. I mentioned that previously.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

If they went for the shade of red they use for the Switch logo, or at least something close to it, I may have been interested in red joycons.

Since they went Neon Red, i'm cool with boring regular grey.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Also apparently Reggie said this

quote:

"Oh, so earlier today I got asked about Mother 3; maybe you can ask me about Metroid," he said jovially. "Look, again, I am proud as an executive with Nintendo to say that we look at all of the boards and all of the comments and we really have a good understanding of what our consumers want. And believe me, we take that to heart as we work to create content.

"So I have nothing to announce--here. But we are aware that there are some key IP that consumers just can't wait for the next true installment in that franchise's legacy. Suffice it to say, we're aware of it, and talk to me in a year and let's look back and see what's happened."

U BETTER NOT BE loving WITH ME REGGIE

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Crawfish posted:

If they went for the shade of red they use for the Switch logo, or at least something close to it, I may have been interested in red joycons.

Yeah, a brighter red, or a purple and fluorescent yellow Splatoon edition. :pcgaming:

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Crawfish posted:

A limited edition Nintendo Red switch with a prominent Nintendo logo across the back was a missed opportunity.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Dehry posted:

A limited edition Nintendo Red switch with a prominent Nintendo logo across the back was a missed opportunity.

Then again, the Red Wii was lobotomized and had no online ability. :ohdear:

Or as Giant Bomb calls it, 'The Canadian Wii'.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I would like to have the neon switch but the grey was the only one on Amazon. :(

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Anaxite posted:

May have been posted already, but Nintendo Japan is streaming another Switch event right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4YrHReUh50

e: with a bunch of live music. Splatoon music etc

It is weird seeing humans perform this music I usually imagine coming out the mouths of aquatic creature beaks.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-
Oh, looks like the Japanese event is today and tomorrow, with a schedule. I'll give a go at translating.

And hey it's the GameCenter CX guy

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

MechaSeinfeld posted:

At least I can always bet on developers giving up on trying to implement the consoles features a year in they did with the wii u so motion controls won't even be a problem unless you wanna revisit MILK or ARMS or BALL COUNT.

excuse me, the name is Count Balls, and i wish it was my name too

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/switch/experience.html

Here's the streaming schedule. They're running around booths between events but it's just more Mario Kart, Mario, and Zelda before closing with more music.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Mister Macys posted:

They would have to sell a full SKU as well for new customers. I mentioned that previously.

well okay but they've never really done anything like that before. Is it financially feasible?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Lemming posted:

Also apparently Reggie said this

U BETTER NOT BE loving WITH ME REGGIE

Does this mean anything? Even if Reggie knows what people want, does NoJ even listen?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Does this mean anything? Even if Reggie knows what people want, does NoJ even listen?

I read it more as him hinting about what's already in progress rather than him trying to fight for something

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Haven't taken a good look at the hardware; does the HDMI cable connect to the phablet itself or does it connect to the dock? Because if it connects to the phablet and you don't really need the dock then the thing is even more portable!

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Dehry posted:

I meant processing power.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Cojawfee posted:

What do you think?

Calaveron posted:

Haven't taken a good look at the hardware; does the HDMI cable connect to the phablet itself or does it connect to the dock? Because if it connects to the phablet and you don't really need the dock then the thing is even more portable!

It connects to the dock.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

well okay but they've never really done anything like that before. Is it financially feasible?

Depends on what it costs for the tablet. By necessity it is the most expensive part. If it's only half the full cost, Nintendo could totally sell an upgrade in limited quantities (say, ten percent of sales up to that point- I certainly wouldn't go higher) at $200 for an easy fifty bucks in pure profit. Wouldn't surprise me if it's already near two thirds of the total though. The rest looks to be cheap (if well made) plastic.

Again, I'm just wishing here, I don't see it happening.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jan 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

Dehry posted:

Still thinking of this thing as a 3DS upgrade where Nintendo said "gently caress it" to main consoles after the failure of the Wii U.

• Locked thread