Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

steinrokkan posted:

So a monthly vote on what kind of games should be played in the national system of circuses to kill off the lazy bums?

Yes, it would also help if the beer and snacks were subsidized by the state. I think that those kinds of events would do a lot towards unifying our nation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Nice.

That said, gerrymandering is actually a useful tool for increasing minority representation, unfortunately it can also be used to erase minority representation. Not sure what kind of metric you can use to combat it especially since you can't use race as a metric according to some SCOTUS ruling in like the 60's.

An efficiency gap formula apparently.

quote:

In Monday’s ruling, the court was swayed by a new and simple mathematical formula to measure the extent of partisan gerrymandering, called the efficiency gap. The formula divides the difference between the two parties’ “wasted votes” — votes beyond those needed by a winning side, and votes cast by a losing side — by the total number of votes cast. When both parties waste the same number of votes, the result is zero — an ideal solution. But as a winning party wastes fewer and fewer votes than its opponent, its score rises.

A truly efficient gerrymander spreads a winning party’s votes so evenly over districts that very few votes are wasted. A review of four decades of state redistricting plans concluded that any party with an efficiency gap of 7 percent or more was likely to keep its majority during the 10 years before new districts were drawn.

In Wisconsin, experts testified, Republicans scored an efficiency gap rating of 11.69 percent to 13 percent in the first election after the maps were redrawn in 2011.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Interesting. It would be nice if a federal law could be passed that held the states to a "fair" standard like this. But bahaha like any politician would support such a law.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

zegermans posted:

Yeah with the court as it is, I could see a court case being a massive backfire of precedent that wasn't even in question ala Citizens United.

Definitely. And of course the census is will be occurring during trumps presidency so expect some SCOTUS challenges.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I have an election hot take incoming.

Don't try to min/max elections. That is a bad plan. Please don't try to do that again.

That's my saltdown. Thanks for reading.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Thoguh posted:

I have an election hot take incoming.

Don't try to min/max elections. That is a bad plan. Please don't try to do that again.

That's my saltdown. Thanks for reading.

And if you do, actually try to talk to the voters whose votes you are trying to get in the calculated turnout scenario.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
yea, any strategy has to assume that the GOP will maintain more or less constant turnout and close to perfect party discipline in every election

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I feel like this sort of activism is the sort of thing that's right in Obama's wheelhouse (more so than running a country turned out to be, certainly).

I mean, he won't trick anyone into making congressional districts spell out FULL COMMUNISM NOW on a map but

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/JoyAnnReid/status/820042896372011008

jesus christ dude the dems are gonna nominate jeb in 2020

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Fiction posted:

i'll take "the democratic party before the nineties" for 800 alex

pretty interesting concept of the pre-90s democratic party you have there

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Caveatimperator posted:

You cannot use scientific explanations for what is to moralize about what should be. That's why we have ethical and political philosophy, and this pesky thing called free will (or some semblance of it.) Using science to moralize, even if you're right about the science, is nothing but a fatalistic attempt to absolve oneself of one's or society's moral failings.

Really think this just needs to be posted here. Nothing really prompting, but I'll be damned if this isn't something that needs to be beaten into the Dems; physically if necessary.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lmao they still mad at Bernie, how dare he point how that the DNC is doing a poor job at running things and lost many recent elections.

http://www.theroot.com/shut-up-bernie-sanders-1791165976

quote:

If hubris and the successful pursuit of headlines were genuine indicators of political aptitude, perhaps Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) would actually be the Svengali he’s presently being sold as.

Of course, Sanders, like our president-elect, the Marigold Manchurian Candidate, can rightly lay claim to scoring huge, albeit majorly melanin-deficient, crowds that found kinship in campaigns rallying against a corrupt political system. Unfortunately, only one of those men could seize a major political party’s nomination with a mostly white vote. So, while Sanders was successful in pushing political foe Hillary Rodham Clinton to more progressive stances, he was never a real threat to her campaign. Not only that, but he failed to make real inroads with the folks whose backs the Democratic Party stands on. This is the part where you conjure an image of a black auntie.

After doing so, riddle me this: Who in the hell is this Democrat-come-lately to scold Democrats on all they’ve done wrong?

Following the stunning win of the hatemonger and Republican nominee for president in the 2016 election, Sanders regurgitated the very rhetoric that made him a distant-second-place primary loser in the first place. Indeed, Sanders spoke against “identity politics” while simultaneously repeating the falsehood that Clinton lost because she didn’t appeal to the “working class.” The problem with such viewpoints is that they conveniently gloss over the notion that “Make America great again” is one of the most successful campaigns of “identity politics” in contemporary political history.

Very sad Hill Folk who don't realize how she's become politically irrelevant after losing, while Bernie creates hope for the future.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Concerned Citizen posted:

pretty interesting concept of the pre-90s democratic party you have there

Eh, more like pre-Watergate. Racism, corruption, etc. But populist in the non fascist sense.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/10/how-democrats-killed-their-populist-soul/504710/

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Politico had a rundown of Democrats grilling James Comey, and then at the end, "but no one would say they wanted him to resign."

Cool job guys

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

PostNouveau posted:

Politico had a rundown of Democrats grilling James Comey, and then at the end, "but no one would say they wanted him to resign."

Cool job guys

Well yeah that isn't very bipartisan

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

etalian posted:

lmao they still mad at Bernie, how dare he point how that the DNC is doing a poor job at running things and lost many recent elections.

Very sad Hill Folk who don't realize how she's become politically irrelevant after losing, while Bernie creates hope for the future.

I tried reading this and all I got out of it was "I'm mad I'm mad I'm mad"

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

GalacticAcid posted:

https://twitter.com/JoyAnnReid/status/820042896372011008

jesus christ dude the dems are gonna nominate jeb in 2020
h
Ah, yes, who can forget when George W. Bush respectfully lied to the nation and illegally declared a meaningless war in the middle East that killed over 1,000,000 people and left the nation worse off than before we arrived.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Isn't Comey already stepping down to be replaced by Trump?

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.

Concerned Citizen posted:

yes, i agree. i think booker is bad for a lot of reasons, but i think he genuinely cares about poverty.

Unless it's because of medication, then you can go gently caress a goat.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://mobile.twitter.com/MattWalshBlog/status/819573355280003072

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

I wonder if there is another way to reduce insurance premiums?

(by getting rid of health insurance)

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/MattWalshBlog/status/819587705617190912

https://twitter.com/MattWalshBlog/status/819700428225048576

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I'm in a room listening to Deray talk and he just made a joke strongly implying he supports Perez for DNC. Gross

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

etalian posted:

Lol the comments

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ATP_Power posted:

I think FBI director is 10 years.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

etalian posted:

I'm the guy calling the most prominent Jewish public figure in the country a Svengali. This guy would fit right in on Stormfront.

blue squares posted:

I'm in a room listening to Deray talk and he just made a joke strongly implying he supports Perez for DNC. Gross

Deray is not great.

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 03:52 on Jan 14, 2017

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

ATP_Power posted:

interestingly, while the AG appionts the Director, not immiately seeing anything in the establishing legislation that would prevent it from being trump

Strom Thermos
Sep 18, 2004

mugrim posted:

Unless it's because of medication, then you can go gently caress a goat.

Goats are very dangerous. Please be careful.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

Deray is not great.

he's great on racial justice but he is not a politician I'd want to vote for in a more general position.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Shear Modulus posted:

I'm the guy calling the most prominent Jewish public figure in the country a Svengali. This guy would fit right in on Stormfront.

Deray is not great.

Yes stormfront will surely welcome him

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
*stares at what the root dot com actually is*

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

I'm the guy calling the most prominent Jewish public figure in the country

Actually you're thinking of Chuck Schumer. Or any of the 3 supreme court justices.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

In what loving universe is Chuck Schumer more prominent than Bernie Sanders

Seriously, THAT'S your pick???

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

The senate minority leader vs the scourge of like 3 post offices?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I'm P. sure more people know the name of Bernie Sanders right now than Chuck Schumer. Schumer's an uninspiring NY senator, Sanders is a meme.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Grondoth posted:

I'm P. sure more people know the name of Bernie Sanders right now than Chuck Schumer. Schumer's an uninspiring NY senator, Sanders is a meme.

more people know the name of harambe than chuck schumer, one's a dead gorilla and the other is a us senator

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

to be less snarky, I'd say Schumer is more powerful in the current because he's the only dem with any sort of federal power right now at all, as long as the filibuster exists. Sanders may well have more power if the democrats ever win again under his elder statesmanship.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I don't see any fuckin Schumer memes

or Schumer subreddits

Checkmate fuckos

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

obviously the most prominent jewish figure in the country is scarlet johanson

and what a figure amirite boys :mrapig:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

zegermans posted:

to be less snarky, I'd say Schumer is more powerful in the current because he's the only dem with any sort of federal power right now at all, as long as the filibuster exists. Sanders may well have more power if the democrats ever win again under his elder statesmanship.

power resides where men believe it does

what i'm saying is that we could chemtrail the poo poo out of the midwest

• Locked thread