Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Gromit posted:

I just couldn't get into the interface, which is why I'm really looking forward to the remake.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/482400/

Pity it's still a year or more away, but the demo is pretty good.

I personally like it, it gives the whole"no combat training" in the player character so much more weight when you have to scramble to reload or heal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
If y'all had to pick the terrifying/disturbing/suspenseful horror games of all time, what would you pick and why? I'm looking for some new horror games to try and scare the pants off myself (I didn't like Amnesia: Dark Descent, the appeal wore off very quickly for me).

For me, it's between Clock Tower: The First Fear for PSX/SNES, I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream, Uninvited, Dark Seed, and Harvester. Something about retro horror games creeps me the hell out.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
If you're into retro, Splatterhouse 2 was pretty gross and evocative, iirc. 3rd part was too much of a brawler to be creepy, like some kind of Final Fight with zombie sprites.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
E: misread that, was correcting someone unnecessarily.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Lifeglug posted:

This is legit the first time in loving years and years that I'm actually looking forward to a Resident Evil game.

Right? They did a reverse Dead Space and went back to horror rather than actiony schlock.

gently caress I miss that series :(

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Right? They did a reverse Dead Space and went back to horror rather than actiony schlock.

gently caress I miss that series :(

Tbh Dead Space has been action horror since day one. I remember the System Shock rumours and hype around it which in itself was a disappointment.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Lifeglug posted:

Tbh Dead Space has been action horror since day one. I remember the System Shock rumours and hype around it which in itself was a disappointment.

Ah, agree to disagree then. To me, the first two games have all the hallmarks of survival horror. Compare them to poo poo like RE 5 and 6

E:or 4 *cough*

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
RE 4 was a poo poo horror game and a joke but an absolutely amazing action adventure/3rd person shooter.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Resident Evil 4 was an excellent action-horror-comedy, 5 was mediocre and 6 would be the worst one if Umbrella Corp and Operation: Raccoon City didn't exist

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Dead space on the hardest difficulty got pretty survival horror fast.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Improbable Lobster posted:

Resident Evil 4 was an excellent action-horror-comedy, 5 was mediocre and 6 would be the worst one if Umbrella Corp and Operation: Raccoon City didn't exist
Something something Gun Survivor.

But yeah, I never played 4 when it originally came out and only played it on PC like a year ago and I was bit underwhelmed. The midget Spanish Napoleon was pretty dumb, his beefy Rasputin goon was oddly non-threatening since he kept letting Leon live, and that last bit on the weird military island facility seemed to just be super boring padding at the end of the game. I mean Resident Evil was never a serious series, and was always a bit ham fisted, and I did think that the 3rd person over the shoulder control scheme worked better than tank controls...but yeah, the game itself was just a bit too tedious in some regards.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

discworld is all I read posted:

Something something Gun Survivor.

But yeah, I never played 4 when it originally came out and only played it on PC like a year ago and I was bit underwhelmed. The midget Spanish Napoleon was pretty dumb, his beefy Rasputin goon was oddly non-threatening since he kept letting Leon live, and that last bit on the weird military island facility seemed to just be super boring padding at the end of the game. I mean Resident Evil was never a serious series, and was always a bit ham fisted, and I did think that the 3rd person over the shoulder control scheme worked better than tank controls...but yeah, the game itself was just a bit too tedious in some regards.

A big part of RE4's success was in it's timing. It was one of the first third person shooters that actually had good controls, it embraced the cheesy horror movie atmosphere of previous Resident Evils and was really big and extremely well designed.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Maybe its just that I didn't play re4 enough but i always thought the controls were annoyingly unwieldy. You just felt so slow both running around and turning. I mean the shooting was fine but just basic movement was bad.

Could've been caused by a lovely ps2 controller or something else, but when i went back to play it after it was remastered on pc, I had the same issues.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

0 rows returned posted:

Maybe its just that I didn't play re4 enough but i always thought the controls were annoyingly unwieldy. You just felt so slow both running around and turning. I mean the shooting was fine but just basic movement was bad.

I assume it's just the "horror" part. You can't dodge and jump around which makes you feel a little bit more threatened.
It works really well with this game because RE4 rules a lot.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

RE4 sold me when I went to my cousin's on the way to some errand to say hi, see him playing it after it was released, he's a few minutes in, WHAMMO CHAINSAW DECAPITATED DEAD

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

RE4 moved into more goofy style of B-movie horror, it's more like Evil Dead 2 only slightly less obviously a comedy.
Dead Space took the gameplay and turned it back into more serious direction, then 2 went into full on action movie, then 3 into poo poo.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Black August posted:

RE4 sold me when I went to my cousin's on the way to some errand to say hi, see him playing it after it was released, he's a few minutes in, WHAMMO CHAINSAW DECAPITATED DEAD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6p8CO2rjk4

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

It was even better than that

It was me, his sister, and him playing, and I just stand there watching him mobbed outside by the ganados, and here comes the Doctor. He takes the pistol like a champ, swings and a miss, and I'm like "Oh I bet he does a lot of damage with one hit going by how much the others have done" and my cousin says "I at least have a healing item" and right then and there the Doctor lunges, and off comes his head, and we just gape in disbelief

I left immediately after consumed with my already ongoing affair with chainsaws and the need to buy it immediately, so Capcom did something right spending that long loving it up in development

And then 5 & 6 and they went and hosed it up anyways!

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

Sakurazuka posted:

RE4 moved into more goofy style of B-movie horror, it's more like Evil Dead 2 only slightly less obviously a comedy.
Dead Space took the gameplay and turned it back into more serious direction, then 2 went into full on action movie, then 3 into poo poo.

I see people say RE6 and Dead Space 3 are bad games and I disagree a bit. RE6 is a bad horror game and DS3 fucks up and stumbles all over the place but they're both honestly pretty fun if you play them with the right mindset; DS3 has a legitimately pretty great weapon combination system that's fun to play around with, and RE6 is an AMAZINGLY fun and versatile combat engine trapped in a game that firmly refuses to take advantage of it or teach you anything about it. The most powerful move, the stun elbow, isn't ever actually mentioned afaik, you just need to notice that elbowing someone behind you immediately gives them a max level stun so you can give them a suplex.

I'm absolutely an RE6 apologist but even I can't defend the whole thing, admittedly; Helena and Piers are both pretty awful additions to the cast, and the plot is a loving mess of convolution...

Honestly I really hope they don't get rid of the old story and reboot everything with 7, I can't live in a world where Chris didn't canonically punch a boulder to death.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Jukebox Hero posted:

Honestly I really hope they don't get rid of the old story and reboot everything with 7, I can't live in a world where Chris didn't canonically punch a boulder to death.

Good thing 7 is stated to take place after the insanity that was the first 6

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Oh my god Valentine's day is un-cancelled.

Think they'll ever bring up the business guy who was secretly controlling everything that turned into a T-rex made of corpses that you killed at the end? I always felt like the whole THE FAMILY plotline was gonna get shoved into a corner and never touched again.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Jukebox Hero posted:

I see people say RE6 and Dead Space 3 are bad games and I disagree a bit. RE6 is a bad horror game and DS3 fucks up and stumbles all over the place but they're both honestly pretty fun if you play them with the right mindset; DS3 has a legitimately pretty great weapon combination system that's fun to play around with, and RE6 is an AMAZINGLY fun and versatile combat engine trapped in a game that firmly refuses to take advantage of it or teach you anything about it. The most powerful move, the stun elbow, isn't ever actually mentioned afaik, you just need to notice that elbowing someone behind you immediately gives them a max level stun so you can give them a suplex.

I'm absolutely an RE6 apologist but even I can't defend the whole thing, admittedly; Helena and Piers are both pretty awful additions to the cast, and the plot is a loving mess of convolution...

RE6 has the worst campaigns I've ever played

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

RE6 is actually Fun and Cool, aside from some bullshit segments (mainly the train in Leon's campaign and Chris' QTE-laden final boss)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

0 rows returned posted:

Could've been caused by a lovely ps2 controller or something else, but when i went back to play it after it was remastered on pc, I had the same issues.

It took some time getting used to but there are some really smart rules built into RE4. Enemies never attack you from behind without loudly vocalizing, giving you enough time to quick turn and cap them. Enemies raising their weapon will throw them in a few seconds and you can swipe or shoot it from the air or sharply turn 45 degrees to avoid it. The levels are designed to reward chokepoints and escape routes. If you ever move it should be to get completely clear and lead the badguys to another chokepoint.

Playing RE4 for the first time felt like playing Tomb Raider where I go from wishing death on the designer of the controls to super savant predicting every movement in my head before it happens.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

al-azad posted:

It took some time getting used to but there are some really smart rules built into RE4. Enemies never attack you from behind without loudly vocalizing, giving you enough time to quick turn and cap them. Enemies raising their weapon will throw them in a few seconds and you can swipe or shoot it from the air or sharply turn 45 degrees to avoid it. The levels are designed to reward chokepoints and escape routes. If you ever move it should be to get completely clear and lead the badguys to another chokepoint.

Playing RE4 for the first time felt like playing Tomb Raider where I go from wishing death on the designer of the controls to super savant predicting every movement in my head before it happens.

Matalo!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I wish RE4 would have used some Frankenstein language that grabbed from Spanish, Italian, and Portuguese. It takes place in Not Spain but the baddies speak the language of Spain when they should be speaking Not Spanish

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Black August posted:

Dr. Salvador (or whatever his name was) still to this day freaks me the gently caress out. It's why even when I'd purchased the HD remaster for PC I took so long to even attempt a playthrough, just thinking about that chainsaw revving up gave me PTSD.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
There's a PC demo for RE7 on Steam, the system requirements are pretty scary alone. :stonklol:

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
I tried to find a retailer with an open preorder for re7 collectors edition and everywhere is sold out, rip

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

boy are my arms tired posted:

I tried to find a retailer with an open preorder for re7 collectors edition and everywhere is sold out, rip

I'm sure GameStop will have a couple sitting around

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I walked into a GameStop looking for some new release and the guy was like "sorry bro. Only got enough in for pre orders. Should have pre ordered" and then I walked across the Parking lot to Best Buy which had like 400 copies of the game sitting there.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

oldpainless posted:

I walked into a GameStop looking for some new release and the guy was like "sorry bro. Only got enough in for pre orders. Should have pre ordered" and then I walked across the Parking lot to Best Buy which had like 400 copies of the game sitting there.

Ill check them out, thanks

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

0 rows returned posted:

They're Monster Hunter controls. Precise, but with huge recovery and winfup frames.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Also learning how to set up melee by stunning an enemy then winding up is a revelation.

My only beef is you have to relearn the game when enemies get guns. RE5 at least made the end game sections better with levels designed around heavily armed baddies.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm actually perfectly fine with Dead Space 3 pushing into straight-up action, because there wasn't a lot left to be scared of. Isaac knows how Necromorphs work and how to stop them as much as the player does, so it just becomes contrived forcing him into another rapidly-infecting ship and expecting Isaac to be afraid of it all for a third time. Stomping in prepared with weapons he's crafted to murder the poo poo out of Necromorphs makes a whole lot more sense.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm actually perfectly fine with Dead Space 3 pushing into straight-up action, because there wasn't a lot left to be scared of. Isaac knows how Necromorphs work and how to stop them as much as the player does, so it just becomes contrived forcing him into another rapidly-infecting ship and expecting Isaac to be afraid of it all for a third time. Stomping in prepared with weapons he's crafted to murder the poo poo out of Necromorphs makes a whole lot more sense.

I would argue a third repeat of that ordeal would have exacerbated the PTSD and made the experience even more terrifying for him. A maintenance dude doesnt work in a space marine game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I would argue a third repeat of that ordeal would have exacerbated the PTSD and made the experience even more terrifying for him. A maintenance dude doesnt work in a space marine game.

I wouldn't say space marine, so much as "gently caress this noise, gently caress those guys, gently caress the necromorphs, I'm gonna build something that'll gently caress them all right up if I have to deal with this goddamn poo poo a third time. :rolleyes:"

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Lifeglug posted:

There's a SS3 in the works :D

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

All that stuff happened in 2 though and is nothing to do with what makes 3 a bad game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm pretty sure Dr. Salvador isn't even a real doctor