Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

I have memories of Vernon wells being kinda chunky but after looking through some pics I must have been imagining things or catching him at weird angles

He got chunky after a point. That's why his hamstrings got all hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Shiroc posted:

Create a new expansion team of only the beefiest players. Bartolo, Dae-Ho Lee, Schwarber, Panda. Where do we find a fat guy to play center and short?

Jhonny can be the beefy shortstop. Rajai Davis has seemed a little round for a CF to me, but I could be entirely wrong since I don't watch that many Cleveland games.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Pancakes posted:

Jhonny can be the beefy shortstop. Rajai Davis has seemed a little round for a CF to me, but I could be entirely wrong since I don't watch that many Cleveland games.

Marlon Byrd has not technically retired, I think. He could help round out the outfield :downsrim:

Matt Kemp definitely belongs on this team.

Tavarin posted:

Just watch, the Dodgers will trade for Brett Lawrie and then be back in the market for Dozier by like June when Lawrie inevitably ends up on the DL.

It wouldn't surprise me. The problem for the Twins is that the market is almost never going to be hot for 2nd base only players and it's obvious that teams are hesitant to give up what they want for Dozier. Not necessarily responding to Tavarin here but, doesn't it make sense to not give up a player if you feel the value return does not equal the value the player provides? I don't think they're dumb to hold a 2nd baseman who can hit 30 HR a year in high regard.

The dumb thing, IMO, is they aren't being aggressive enough to trade Santana.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jan 13, 2017

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

quote:

I have memories of Vernon wells being kinda chunky but after looking through some pics I must have been imagining things or catching him at weird angles

Maybe you saw the beefy chain mail vernon wells from commando

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Pancakes posted:

He looked perpetually muscular in Toronto and Oakland, and I thought he looked the same in the WS.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Rajai probably is the stockiest looking CF I can think of, but I wouldn't call him beefy. He'd also have to be disqualified from the team on account of actually being able to run exceptionally.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Shiroc posted:

Rajai probably is the stockiest looking CF I can think of, but I wouldn't call him beefy. He'd also have to be disqualified from the team on account of actually being able to run exceptionally.

Right, thinking of a legitimately tubby CF in today's game is tough. Jon Jay has a lot of junk in the trunk, but he's not what I'd call beefy.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

And Fielder both is retired and never played CF

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

This may have been posted and I missed it, but Matt Garza is a moron.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

SourKraut posted:

He's also a really bad pitcher. Or at best, inconsistent.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Pancakes posted:

Right, thinking of a legitimately tubby CF in today's game is tough. Jon Jay has a lot of junk in the trunk, but he's not what I'd call beefy.

We need a new late Reds era Griffey to save the team.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Shiroc posted:

We need a new late Reds era Griffey to save the team.

Shin-Soo Choo is still considered a reserve center fielder by some sites and he's stocky?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Matt Garza not only pitched his way out of Chicago he's on track to pitch his way out of baseball.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Popete posted:

Matt Garza not only pitched his way out of Chicago he's on track to pitch his way out of baseball.

Milwaukee, where great pitching goes to die :smith:

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

bryce and nats apparently have an agreement...

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
On a contract extension, or just on arbitration?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'd just like to idly mention that OOTP 17 is a fantastic game and really helps fills the no baseball void. I'm playing the 2016 season and enjoying all of the crazy poo poo unfolding, including Chase Anderson no-hitting the Padres, Kendrys Morales charging Andrew Miller on the mound leading to a benches clearing brawl that sent three players to the DL and netted the two a 5 game suspension each, Heyward leading the Cubs in batting average slashing .307/.451/.536, and the Yankees/Rays fighting head to head for control of the AL East while the Jays, Orioles, and Red Sox wallow in mediocrity playing below .500

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse

Julio Cruz posted:

On a contract extension, or just on arbitration?

Arb. 13.625 mil
Also, Rockies bought out last two years of arb. on Arenado: 2 years 29.5 mil

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Troxartas posted:

Arb. 13.625 mil
Also, Rockies bought out last two years of arb. on Arenado: 2 years 29.5 mil

Not quite. That deal covers 17 and 18. Nolan will have another arb-eligible year in 19, then could be a FA after the 2019 season

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

I think Price still has the record for highest arb salary at $19 million. Harper should beat that, no? Also he hits free agency at age 26 which is just nuts. Nats might not even get his peak years.

https://twitter.com/pgammo/status/819975135977476097

The O's offer that Trumbo turned down was less than ppl reported at the time. I am always a little suspicious when a player hits FA and the team leaks their "final offer" that was rejected. Like how sure are we that the Jays actually offered Encarnacion 4/80?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Cubs finish up the unimportant arbitrations with Grimm and Rondon, both are getting a tiny bit more than they were projected to ($1.825m for Grimm, $5.8m Rondon). Strop will presumably get around what he's projected as well, which is about $5.5m.

I'm guessing Arrieta will go to arb, given he probably considers himself more valuable than the $16.8m he's projected to make, while the Cubs may not be willing to budge given his downish year. There's also apparently talks that the Cubs may be trying to offer him an extension, but if that goes anywhere I'd be stunned given what Arrieta's FA value would look like next off season if he has a good 2017.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Shiroc posted:

Kirby Puckett?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Sydin posted:

Cubs finish up the unimportant arbitrations with Grimm and Rondon, both are getting a tiny bit more than they were projected to ($1.825m for Grimm, $5.8m Rondon). Strop will presumably get around what he's projected as well, which is about $5.5m.

I'm guessing Arrieta will go to arb, given he probably considers himself more valuable than the $16.8m he's projected to make, while the Cubs may not be willing to budge given his downish year. There's also apparently talks that the Cubs may be trying to offer him an extension, but if that goes anywhere I'd be stunned given what Arrieta's FA value would look like next off season if he has a good 2017.

Arrieta won't sign an extention. He's looking to cash in by having a.monster contract year. He's as.good as gone if he even has an above-average year.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Your Taint posted:

Kirby Puckett?

Yankees Andruw Jones has got to be up there.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/Cubs/status/820012836705308673

:woop: :woop: :woop:

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

aka "We made up a job for you, maybe proximity to Jon Lester will allow him to pitch to another catcher"

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

CubsWoo posted:

aka "We made up a job for you, maybe proximity to Jon Lester will allow him to pitch to another catcher"

What does Special Assistant to Baseball Operations actually do? Fetch coffee and go get scouting reports off the printer?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Your Taint posted:

What does Special Assistant to Baseball Operations actually do? Fetch coffee and go get scouting reports off the printer?

Cubs Press Release posted:

In his new role with the organization, Ross will contribute to all elements within the club’s baseball operations department, including major league operations, player development, pro scouting and work within the front office. He will also assist in evaluating amateur players leading up to the draft among additional responsibilities and opportunities throughout the year.

So basically he's getting paid to be a veteran guy who's brain the FO can pick and maybe help with player development when he's around the office.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
It's a pretty standard "Keep a well-liked/smart guy around to help out maybe" role. The Yankees have a jillion of them, guys like Reggie and now A-Rod.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Julio Cruz posted:

Lance Berkman

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Inspector_666 posted:

It's a pretty standard "Keep a well-liked/smart guy around to help out maybe" role. The Yankees have a jillion of them, guys like Reggie and now A-Rod.

And it owns

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Cubs avoid arb with Arrieta, he'll make $15.6m

E. Also gently caress:

https://twitter.com/Sullivan_Ranger/status/820026002852245506

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Your Taint posted:

Arrieta won't sign an extention. He's looking to cash in by having a.monster contract year. He's as.good as gone if he even has an above-average year.

I have a feeling that Arrieta's either going to get tarred and feathered this season due to overuse or he's going to have some sort of monster walk-year run and make some team really regret that seven-year contract in 2019.

In either event, I'll be happy that the Cubs won't be signing the checks.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Well poo poo.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

Julio Cruz posted:

Did he ever play CF for them? I remember him being a corner guy who would get a late inning defensive replacement.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Monday_ posted:

Did he ever play CF for them? I remember him being a corner guy who would get a late inning defensive replacement.

Apparently he didn't, but he played some center for the White Sox and he was still pretty chunky then.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Oh for sure.

Speaking of, here's a great article about Clint Frazier, specifically:

quote:

Frazier was struggling in a road game late in Instructional League this fall in Florida, telling Jackson he was putting too much pressure on himself with every overaggressive swing he took.

"Get all your stuff together," Jackson told Frazier after the game, "you are not riding the bus. You’re riding back with me."

So there was Frazier in full Yankee uniform getting in Reggie’s car.

"We stopped to get frozen yogurt," Frazier said. "We got out of the car and people are looking at us and I say, ‘Reg, if people had any question [whether] you are Reggie Jackson I believe you are covered because I am in full Yankees uniform right now.’ We got our frozen yogurt and we connected on a personal level. He told me some things about his past and I told him some things about mine. It was awesome.

"I shot a text to my mom and dad, ‘I’m at a frozen yogurt with Reggie Jackson.’ My mom was like, ‘What!’"

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Julio Cruz posted:

Apparently he didn't, but he played some center for the White Sox and he was still pretty chunky then.

Kirby Puckett's the only CF who was chubby right off the bat that I can remember.

Man it sucks that we can't look back on his career and think of him as a funny fat guy.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

quote:

the #Rockies have signed Charlie Blackmon (7.3M) and Tyler Chatwood (4.4M) to one-year deals, avoiding arbitration

That really cheap for Blackmon. But it is only his 2nd arb-elig year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

SourKraut posted:

Easy for him to say since he can't even get to first base.

• Locked thread