Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah, please play mask of the betrayer. It's fantastic. Minus the sewer level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
I think I'm in the minorty with this, but the general shittiness of the NWN2 engine and the odd epic-level DnD crap detracted enough from MotB that I really couldn't enjoy the story. It has neat elements, but it's a chore to actually play.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Really Pants posted:

You might like Neverwinter Nights, too. Or Neverwinter Nights 2.

Andrast posted:

There's also Pillars of eternity and Tyranny if he wants something newer.

However, Mask of the Betrayer expansion for NWN2 is amazing and everybody should play it.

Thanks will add them to my backlog. Also I'd like to play games like SMT (yes I've played Persona but no 3DS) but not sure if that means more JRPGs or not.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Charles Get-Out posted:

I think I'm in the minorty with this, but the general shittiness of the NWN2 engine and the odd epic-level DnD crap detracted enough from MotB that I really couldn't enjoy the story. It has neat elements, but it's a chore to actually play.

Just put it on easy and look up a premade build or something if you don't want to deal with that part of the game. It's so worth it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Charles Get-Out posted:

I do agree that Mask of the Betrayer is mostly good in spite of being a D&D game, rather than because of it. It probably would have worked just fine as a point-and-click adventure or even a walking sim.

Alder posted:

Also I'd like to play games like SMT (yes I've played Persona but no 3DS) but not sure if that means more JRPGs or not.

Probably. Check out Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth if you have a PS4 or Vita.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Really Pants posted:

I do agree that Mask of the Betrayer is mostly good in spite of being a D&D game, rather than because of it.

That's every D&D game.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Really Pants posted:

I do agree that Mask of the Betrayer is mostly good in spite of being a D&D game, rather than because of it. It probably would have worked just fine as a point-and-click adventure or even a walking sim.

Probably. Check out Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth if you have a PS4 or Vita.

I liked Cyber Sleuth but sadly the new Digimon PS4 game doesn't look that fun.

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Andrast posted:

I'm finally going to try Trails of Cold steel, is there anything I should know beforehand?

Also, which difficulty should I choose if I prefer harder games as long as they aren't difficult in a tedious fashion?

Delay is amazing and you should use and abuse it thoroughly. In CS2 I was able to abuse it enough that some bosses only got a single turn.

Difficulty wise, on normal CS1 is easy with a few spikes. I'd pay on hard of you're already familiar with trails style combat or feel like you can pick it up quickly. Nightmare may be a bit much unless you're very confident.

Trails games almost never require any grinding due to how their XP system works, so doing well on higher difficulties is all about your quartz setup.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Delay is lame because you never get to see all the cool ways bosses can murder you

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TooManyUzukis posted:

Trails games almost never require any grinding due to how their XP system works, so doing well on higher difficulties is all about your quartz setup.

Some of the bosses can gently caress you over with major difficulty spikes if you aren't careful, but if you're really stuck you can choose to drop the difficulty (lowers their level a bit just for that one fight, doesn't drop the entire game difficulty or anything) and try again when your party wipes. If you still wipe, lower the difficulty again and again until you stomp right over them :v:.

Also take Laura whenever you can, because she will murder the poo poo out of anything and everything with her Claymore.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Playing FF5 has made me nostalgic for the Bravely series, but it's hard to forget the insane timesink padding that was the back half of the first one. Is #2 better with not wasting the players time? And are the interactions with the Asterisk holders still awesome? That was far and away the best part of 1.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I say this every time it comes up but you could get through chapters 5, 6, 7, and 8 in like an hour if you wanted to

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
You mean if you skipped all the Asterisk fights and just did the crystals? Yeah I guess but minus the Asterisk fights why are you even playing the game?

I just wish they had given me all the cool characterization at once instead of dropping it in little bursts here and there over a period of 50 hours.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Getsuya posted:

You mean if you skipped all the Asterisk fights and just did the crystals? Yeah I guess but minus the Asterisk fights why are you even playing the game?

I just wish they had given me all the cool characterization at once instead of dropping it in little bursts here and there over a period of 50 hours.
Skip the fights in chapters 5 and 6, do the ones in 7, see if you're willing to keep going with em, if you are do the ones in chapter 8. If you aren't finish the game

I don't understand how "there's a lot of optional content" can possibly be widely held against a game to the point that every time it's brought up here it comes up as a negative, but here we are

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Getsuya posted:

I mean if you enjoy them that's cool but I'd still recommend only fighting them in chapters 7 and 8

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Skip the fights in chapters 5 and 6, do the ones in 7, see if you're willing to keep going with em, if you are do the ones in chapter 8. If you aren't finish the game

I don't understand how "there's a lot of optional content" can possibly be widely held against a game to the point that every time it's brought up here it comes up as a negative, but here we are

The problem isn't really that there's a lot of optional content, it's that a lot of that optional content is incredibly lazy.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

King of Solomon posted:

The problem isn't really that there's a lot of optional content, it's that a lot of that optional content is incredibly lazy.

Chapters 7 and 8 are not.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
No see I'm done with 1, I finished it. I'm just wondering if 2 is the same or better?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Because the optional content is badly designed for most of it and the non-optional content is the same four boss fights recycled over and over again.

Like is your argument "all optional content is good regardless of quality" or something? It absolutely is a negative if it kills the pacing of the game so hard. It's also fair to note that "oh, just skip (x) but make sure to do (y)" involves you searching out information about the game (including some fairly spoilery information) before you get to that point instead of just playing the game.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jan 14, 2017

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Getsuya posted:

No see I'm done with 1, I finished it. I'm just wondering if 2 is the same or better?

Oh. 2 has nothing like the back four chapters of 1.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Getsuya posted:

2 is a lot better about it though it does recycle a lot from BD1.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Bongo Bill posted:

Chapters 7 and 8 are not.

I agree, hence "a lot" instead of "most" or "all."

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Andrast posted:

Just put it on easy and look up a premade build or something if you don't want to deal with that part of the game. It's so worth it.

I did exactly that, and I enjoyed the themes and set pieces, but in the end the gameplay was really bad and tiring and it remains one of my least favorite Obsidian games; It's really hard to get into the word salad that starts getting thrown around towards the later game when you're sick of even moving the characters and camera around.

I'm not saying the game is bad, I just really don't like it and I think even Alpha Protocol is more fun to actually "play."

Really Pants posted:

Either of those things would have made the game many times better. Would've been a pretty sweet adventure game.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Getsuya posted:

Playing FF5 has made me nostalgic for the Bravely series, but it's hard to forget the insane timesink padding that was the back half of the first one. Is #2 better with not wasting the players time? And are the interactions with the Asterisk holders still awesome? That was far and away the best part of 1.

If you're talking about dialogue, the game went all the gently caress in on the second half of Default's writing, it's pretty great.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

If you're talking about dialogue, the game went all the gently caress in on the second half of Default's writing, it's pretty great.

Awesome. That's what I wanted to hear.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Because the optional content is badly designed for most of it and the non-optional content is the same four boss fights recycled over and over again.

Like is your argument "all optional content is good regardless of quality" or something? It absolutely is a negative if it kills the pacing of the game so hard. It's also fair to note that "oh, just skip (x) but make sure to do (y)" involves you searching out information about the game (including some fairly spoilery information) before you get to that point instead of just playing the game.
The side content in chapters 5 and 6 is not good. It's repetitive, and I'm not defending it. My argument is that every time Bravely Default, by all accounts a strong game that stumbles a bit toward the end, comes up here or anywhere else, it can't be mentioned without "it's fine but hoo boy that second half, it's awful, just horrendous," like chapters 5-8 aren't the last 10-20% of the game rather than 50%, and like the parts people complain about aren't largely skippable. I'm not arguing that chapters 5 and 6 are good, or that having to do the same dungeons and bosses four times is good design--it's not. It's just a minor bad decision that was super annoying in the original game Japan got, and is a speedbump at worst in our version because we can turn off encounters and overpower all four of those bosses easily.

e: Also please name a JRPG with an endgame sidequest rush that doesn't kill the pacing? In general it has always been genre convention that before you go off to the Black Fortress to do battle with the Eater of Worlds you have to go play cards with a bunch of people, collect party member portraits, find pirate treasure, get a bunch of costumes, and have a hot springs episode. If you take umbrage with the concept of that in general that's fine, but it's not a critique unique to BD

Panic! at Nabisco fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jan 14, 2017

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

The side content in chapters 5 and 6 is not good. It's repetitive, and I'm not defending it. My argument is that every time Bravely Default, by all accounts a strong game that stumbles a bit toward the end, comes up here or anywhere else, it can't be mentioned without "it's fine but hoo boy that second half, it's awful, just horrendous," like chapters 5-8 aren't the last 10-20% of the game rather than 50%, and like the parts people complain about aren't largely skippable. I'm not arguing that chapters 5 and 6 are good, or that having to do the same dungeons and bosses four times is good design--it's not. It's just a minor bad decision that was super annoying in the original game Japan got, and is a speedbump at worst in our version because we can turn off encounters and overpower all four of those bosses easily.

e: Also please name a JRPG with an endgame sidequest rush that doesn't kill the pacing? In general it has always been genre convention that before you go off to the Black Fortress to do battle with the Eater of Worlds you have to go play cards with a bunch of people, collect party member portraits, find pirate treasure, get a bunch of costumes, and have a hot springs episode. If you take umbrage with the concept of that in general that's fine, but it's not a critique unique to BD

Bravely Default has a bad second half.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

because we can turn off encounters and overpower all four of those bosses easily.

Also please name a JRPG with an endgame sidequest rush that doesn't kill the pacing?

I did this but apparently I wasn't leveled enough because I couldn't beat Airy's very first battle/form during the true ending sequence and when I asked for help the only advice I got was "shoulda grinded more"

I beat Romancing SaGa 2 recently and the whole game is endgame sidequests and the pacing is fairly consistent

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jan 14, 2017

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Verranicus posted:

BD has one of the worst backhalves i have ever played.

Shame it was pretty fun up to that point.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Lakbay posted:

I did this but apparently I wasn't leveled enough because I couldn't beat Airy's very first battle/form during the true ending sequence and when I asked for help the only advice I got was "shoulda grinded more"

I beat Romancing SaGa 2 recently and the whole game is endgame sidequests and the pacing is fairly consistent

You don't need levels to beat that game.

You do need job levels, however.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

iirc shadow hearts 1 justifies it by saying that god will be at earth in a month, so you should go prepare before you teleport to him, which seems like a good way of doing things

granted due to sh1's real-world setting that still implies you can go from wales to china and back within a month, on a boat, but

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

chrono trigger

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Bongo Bill posted:

You don't need levels to beat that game.

You do need job levels, however.

If you fought a single random battle after chapter 4 you are a sucker. I don't care how easy it is to grind job levels, you don't even need to do that since all the bosses throw JP at you.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

e: Also please name a JRPG with an endgame sidequest rush that doesn't kill the pacing?

Most of them? Because the sidequest rush isn't literally repeating content. The ones where it is usually are not praised for it and also not asking you to repeat content to advance the story too.

Sidequests tend to deflate the tension but they do it in exchange for new content (much of which focuses around building characters and introducing fun new optional bosses) and allows you to just advance the story without too much intrusion otherwise. BD doesn't do either and it's a massive negative on the game.

BD does give you fun new optional bosses after two chapters of trash and if you're not interested in those optional bosses then it still expects you to do eight more repeated boss fights. Even if you're super-optimized and wreck those boss fights it's still not a fun time.

Edit: and I like BD a lot. A whole lot. That doesn't mean the criticism is unwarranted. It was a huge failure and the fact what we got is an improved version only emphasizes how big a failure it was.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jan 14, 2017

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Verranicus posted:

I think his point is that you're bad at fractions

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Endorph posted:

iirc shadow hearts 1 justifies it by saying that god will be at earth in a month, so you should go prepare before you teleport to him, which seems like a good way of doing things

granted due to sh1's real-world setting that still implies you can go from wales to china and back within a month, on a boat, but
Huh, I never actually played the first game, that's neat.
I'd answer you but I have to go get a really pretty dress made from shells

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

The joke is that you literally have all the time in the world because time travel.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
my favorite part of mega man battle network 3 was when a new character spent half of his time in the story forcing you to do side quests for him because you're suddenly friends

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Huh, I never actually played the first game, that's neat.

well i hope you can get that done before the world blows up a thousand years in the future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

Looper posted:

I think his point is that you're bad at fractions

Even if you turn encounters off and make a beeline for the essential bosses, you're still repeating the same set of bosses four or five times with zero variation in the fights and very little variation in the dialogue, which you don't want to skip because every now and then a line is slightly different. It may only take an hour or two but it feels as long as the entire first half. Hence, the second half of BD is terrible.

edit: Speaking of Shadow Hearts, is there any way to play those games other than on PS2? My disc of 2 is scratched up and it's the one I'd most like to play.

The Pirate Captain fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 14, 2017