Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

marshmallow creep posted:

In that case, cheaper to get them on pc. Or watch an lp like you proposed, but I don't know of any that are any good.

ME 2 is free on origin right now, too. I added it to my account a couple of days ago just in case and the urge to replay it has been steadily rising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Mass Effect 2 shifted its inspiration from Star Trek to Firefly.

My friend and I were talking about it once, and we kind of came to the conclusion that: ME1 feels like an 80's movie, ME2 feels like a TV show, and ME3 feels like a modern Summer blockbuster. I enjoy all three for different reasons, and don't understand the hate for any of them.

That being said, I'm also the kind of mouth-breather who very occasionally pre-orders games. MEA being one of them.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

FELD1 posted:

That being said, I'm also the kind of mouth-breather who very occasionally pre-orders games. MEA being one of them.

If you insist on being retarded, tell me you at least preordered it when it was $40 bucks on Origin?

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

Mass Effect 2 shifted its inspiration from Star Trek to Firefly.

And that was a good shift. If you make the story smaller, you can allow the player to make story choices that are meaningful, but won't gently caress over the entire game setting.

But maybe I'm biased because I like Firefly.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Drifter posted:

If you insist on being retarded, tell me you at least preordered it when it was $40 bucks on Origin?

maybe i ordered it for both xbox one and pc in super deluxe editions. :colbert:

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Drifter posted:

I did. Takes the stress off March which will be an expensive month for me, since I'm an idiot and I also preordered a Nintendo Switch today too.

I don't feel dumb about preordering Nier Automata though. :colbert:

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Hey Drifter,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYT66ALUUss

:liara:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Oh...oh god dammit. Stupid little goddamn savages.

Little idiots. IDIOTS. SAVAGES. IDIOTS.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 13, 2017

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

marshmallow creep posted:

In that case, cheaper to get them on pc. Or watch an lp like you proposed, but I don't know of any that are any good.

What would constitute a good LP?

I actually recorded all 3 games and then just deleted it all because, why bother?

inflatable fish
Dec 8, 2016

from the above's comment section:

roses are red
reapers are gay
report to the ship
we'll bang OK

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
ME3 would've been great if the Crucible/citadel turn into a giant, naked robot woman and then you had to wrestle the reapers into submission.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

ovenboy posted:

ME 2 is free on origin right now, too. I added it to my account a couple of days ago just in case and the urge to replay it has been steadily rising.

I'm playing it right now because I never finished ME3, and it's held up really well. There's some very obvious jank, mostly on movement, but nothing you can't get used to. Vanguard is kinda trash in ME2 compared to ME3 though, so regrets may have been had.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
rear end Effect

rear end Effect: Poo

rear end Effect: Pee

rear end Effect: Androgena

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Drifter posted:

ME3 would've been great if the Crucible/citadel turn into a giant, naked robot woman and then you had to wrestle the reapers into submission penetrate the defenses, fly the Normandy into the ventral access port, and fire your payload into the core.

Fixed that for you.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Man, the Super Duper Deluxe Edition has you paying $30 bucks for a loving multiplayer booster packs.

I could understand ten bucks for the OST and some lovely skins, I guess, but god drat, that's just slightly less retarded than preordering the game.

They're booster packs, if you're playing for half a year you're probably going to max out your skills or whatever anyways. ANd you don't even get all of them at once, you just get one a week.

And I'm sorry, but if you think a giant robot woman scissoring a robotic alien squid to death DOESN'T scream mass effect then I don't know what you're smokin'.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I have no doubt EA makes great money off booster packs in all of their games.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
I spent about $100 buying booster packs for ME3MP, typically just getting like $50 worth so I could open a bunch of crates when a patch dropped.

I am not ashamed.

EDIT: I also pre-ordered Mass Effect: Sci-Fi Battlefield 4.

Zakmonster fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jan 14, 2017

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
you should be

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Zakmonster posted:

I spent about $100 buying booster packs for ME3MP, typically just getting like $50 worth so I could open a bunch of crates when a patch dropped.

I am not ashamed.

EDIT: I also pre-ordered Mass Effect: Sci-Fi Battlefield 4.

Bless you for making me feel less guilty when I pirate these games

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
Glad to do my part.

Honestly, as a long-time MMO player, $100 over 350-odd hours of play on the multiplayer is honestly not that big a deal. I know people who spend more on alcohol every weekend.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Oh I know, I would spend more money on games if I could but their prices here in Brazil are ridiculous so

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

If you all want to make fun of people pre-ordering things go check out the Nintendo Switch thread.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Zakmonster posted:

Glad to do my part.

Honestly, as a long-time MMO player, $100 over 350-odd hours of play on the multiplayer is honestly not that big a deal. I know people who spend more on alcohol every weekend.

alcohol sounds like the better deal

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Codependent Poster posted:

If you all want to make fun of people pre-ordering things go check out the Nintendo Switch thread.

I preordered a switch. And Zelda. And Mass Effect. And South Park.

Why? Cuz I don't care about the reviews, I was going to get them either way but this way they show up at my door and I don't have to think about it any more. poo poo, I don't remember when ME and SP come out other than sometime in March.

You got a problem w/ that cuz I will just quote you sarcastically and then go troll some other posts afterwards.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

hahaha

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Waltzing Along posted:

Why? Cuz I don't care about the reviews, I was going to get them either way but this way they show up at my door and I don't have to think about it any more. poo poo, I don't remember when ME and SP come out other than sometime in March.

You got a problem w/ that cuz I will just quote you sarcastically and then go troll some other posts afterwards.

Personally speaking, playing the latest game Nintendo or Bioware spent years making for me is well worth a try. And if I don't like it, I can get like 30 bucks back on 50 or something trading it or ebaying it. I've also heard that South Park game from before was fun, so I say thumbs up to all that.

I just hope that Wii-U date of 3/3 for Zelda is legit, and not pushed a couple weeks back after the Switch version. I gotta be ready for ME when it hits!

Reminds me of when Alan Wake, Red Dead Redemption, and Alpha Protocal all hit in May 2010. Was a good time!

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 14, 2017

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Zakmonster posted:

Glad to do my part.

Guilty of both and I agree. Though I think I only spent fifty bucks? Anyway doesn't matter - when your leisure time is precious you don't have time to deal with slowly grinding out class unlocks and such.

ME3 multiplayer was great (netcode aside) and redeemed the game purchase after the hamfisted clusterfuck that was the writing.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Waltzing Along posted:

Dude at least keep your pre-ordering to games that have a hard release date. South Park Fractured But Whole is most likely going to miss it 2017 Q1 release date estimate.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

BexGu posted:

Dude at least keep your pre-ordering to games that have a hard release date. South Park Fractured But Whole is most likely going to miss it 2017 Q1 release date estimate.

It got delayed again? That's funny.

Hmm...I'm seeing it as 3/31/17

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

It got delayed again? That's funny.

Hmm...I'm seeing it as 3/31/17

That's literally the last day of Q1 2017 so yeah.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
When this game comes out I'm going to be reading reviews that hopefully describe it in terms of what it integrated from Dragon Age Inq and what it redeveloped. If a review comes in and doesn't mention the colossal soullessness of DAInq environments as some kind of baseline then I'll know that that reviewer is a corporatist shill.

And probably a climate change denier, because they're probably gonna be lovely in more ways than just the one, and they already are masters at self-deception..

I've had the Fractured But Whole on my wishlist but haven't really followed too much of it. I know Matt and Trey had said they feel like they were able to do so much more/better than the first one. Did they have any particulars?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

DancingShade posted:

I have no doubt EA makes great money off booster packs in all of their games.

If its anything like FIFA they make $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
I'm really excited to see how the various gaming rags discuss the ME3 disaster in their MEA reviews. It's gonna be hilarious.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

I'm really excited to see how the various gaming rags discuss the ME3 disaster in their MEA reviews. It's gonna be hilarious.

ME3 just had a lazy ending. Inexcusably lazy, considering, but still, just lazy. And the whole war asset thing was poorly thought out - or somehow a force to moneygrab for 'ingame dlc' type multi-player poo poo. The biggest sin of ME3 was that the laziest writing happened RIGHT at the end, so there was nothing to mitigate the feeling that Bioware was literally rear end deep in trying to gently caress its fanbase over somehow - or at least just completely dismissive of them, the fans and customers.

DAInq had a hodgepodge of occasionally fun writing, really pretty visuals, and utter shite most everything else.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jan 14, 2017

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I think Dragon Age Inquisition is a slam dunk myself, and I even believe in climate change, but everybody digs different stuff. The core character dynamics and story beats in most of Bioware's stuff has delivered for me.

Andromeda looks like it'll be quite different, less fantasy RPG wandering around slaying bandits for side quests and whatnot. I take them all on their own merit, but the throughline is generally really fun dialogue and solid character work.

Agreed ME3's ending is lazy and lame though. Glad to see them picking up and doing a new ME story with a new cast, as much as I love the old one.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Heavy Metal posted:

I think Dragon Age Inquisition is a slam dunk myself, and I even believe in climate change, but everybody digs different stuff. The core character dynamics and story beats in most of Bioware's stuff has delivered for me.

Andromeda looks like it'll be quite different, less fantasy RPG wandering around slaying bandits for side quests and whatnot. I take them all on their own merit, but the throughline is generally really fun dialogue and solid character work.

Agreed ME3's ending is lazy and lame though. Glad to see them picking up and doing a new ME story with a new cast, as much as I love the old one.

Stop being reasonable. This is a Mass Effect thread.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
DAI is the mirror of DA2. I enjoyed it a lot while playing, but in hindsight or when considering a replay it's too much in too many ways. Overcompensating, perhaps. Either the scope needed to be reined in or there needed to be greater diversity with content (like in Witcher III - you're either saving your daughter, saving the world, or in an X-Files/Supernatural/Batman episode). Visually it's quite pretty with properly large environments. Mechanically it's alright (if utterly breakable and tedious after a while). I like that they fleshed out the three advisors about as much as the party companions. And the music's pretty good! You don't see a Disney moment in every game.

Hopefully that cross-team influence hasn't permeated Andromeda's development. I don't think it will since ME3 is a full (if flawed) game, so there isn't as much content to make up for.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Heavy Metal posted:

Not nearly enough rapid for/against in here and sounding far too calm.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

DancingShade posted:

Not nearly enough rapid for/against in here and sounding far too calm.

I can post faster if you'd like. :liara:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Drifter posted:

I can post faster if you'd like. :liara:

Ideally slam a game then two pages later praise the same game for a completely different reason. Do not allow consistency to burden you.