Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Who would pick sumo as a career with no size at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Harumafuji has withdrawn. Ikioi will get a walkover victory. I assume that will not count as a kinboshi or be anything to consider for prizes.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Rigel posted:

Harumafuji has withdrawn. Ikioi will get a walkover victory. I assume that will not count as a kinboshi or be anything to consider for prizes.

One Yokozuna out and the other one looking near retirement means this one is Hakuhou's to lose, with Kisenosato chasing.

Walkovers don't count for prizes, as far as I know.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Fluffdaddy posted:

One Yokozuna out and the other one looking near retirement means this one is Hakuhou's to lose, with Kisenosato chasing.

Walkovers don't count for prizes, as far as I know.

We also have one Ozeki who is pretty much guaranteed to be demoted and another who will be kadoban and maybe done in 2 months.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Fluffdaddy posted:

One Yokozuna out and the other one looking near retirement means this one is Hakuhou's to lose, with Kisenosato chasing

What's with all the near retirement talk about Kak lately? He's been a great Yokozuna and just came off a dominating yusho. Sucks about Harumafuji - that was a great win yesterday.

If Kak pulls out too that makes it even harder for Kise since there's pretty much nobody else who can help him out by giving an L to Hakuho - other than maybe Goeido. This may be the second time his Yokozuna chances come down to solely his Hakuho match.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
How does it work for a yokozuna when they have to sit out due to injury? Do they get a pass on it if they can come back and win next tournament? If they had to miss two would they start getting pressured to retire immediately?

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Fryhtaning posted:

What's with all the near retirement talk about Kak lately? He's been a great Yokozuna and just came off a dominating yusho. Sucks about Harumafuji - that was a great win yesterday.

If Kak pulls out too that makes it even harder for Kise since there's pretty much nobody else who can help him out by giving an L to Hakuho - other than maybe Goeido. This may be the second time his Yokozuna chances come down to solely his Hakuho match.

There are rumors that he is being pressured to retire if he doesn't start having better matches.

Kise blew a great opportunity when Hak was out with injury. Now he is just going to have to be straight up better.

Shiroc posted:

How does it work for a yokozuna when they have to sit out due to injury? Do they get a pass on it if they can come back and win next tournament? If they had to miss two would they start getting pressured to retire immediately?

Depends on severity of injury. Hakuho sat out recently due to injury and it was no big whoop.

If you start missing 2 or 3 in a row, they will pressure you to retire. If you start losing a lot they will too.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Is the talk for Kak just based on this basho? He won the last one, were his matches considered to be poor even though he won them?

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Fluffdaddy posted:

Who would pick sumo as a career with no size at all?

Hakuho didn't weigh much more than that guy when he started. You can gain weight.

68kg Hakuho.

Uncle Jam fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jan 14, 2017

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Uncle Jam posted:

Hakuho didn't weigh much more than that guy when he started. You can gain weight.

68kg Hakuho.

And that's much bigger than Harumafuji and Kakuryu both were in their debuts. Harumafuji got absolutely destroyed in his.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Shiroc posted:

Depends on the yokozuna and the injury. From what I've gathered, if it is a younger, successful wrestler who has won tournaments in the past year and he suffers a horrible injury that you can come back from but the doctors say recovery should take many months, I think people would understand if he missed 2 or even 3 tournaments as long as he looks good on the return. If its an older yokozuna plagued by injuries, not doing well, and he has to pull out of yet another tournament, people may tell him his body has broken down and its time to quit.

Neither describes Harumafuji. If he is getting any significant pressure to retire, then thats ridiculous, he won double digits 5 times in 2016 and a yusho.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
Day 7:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNBoAk7JK4Y

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

:wtc:

Kise won, Hakuho inexplicably.... somehow..... lost and gave up a kinboshi to a guy who was 1-6. Pressure is on now, will Kisenosato crumble again?

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Day 8: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AxGtosQIHo

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Rigel posted:

Kise won, Hakuho inexplicably.... somehow..... lost and gave up a kinboshi to a guy who was 1-6. Pressure is on now, will Kisenosato crumble again?

I was mostly watching nonplussed until the Kise match, which he squeezed out a win, but holy poo poo I was not expecting that last match and the speed in which Hakuho got disposed of.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Fluffdaddy posted:

I was mostly watching nonplussed until the Kise match, which he squeezed out a win, but holy poo poo I was not expecting that last match and the speed in which Hakuho got disposed of.

Kise almost got Okinoumi'd, and then Arawashi pulled an Okinoumi. Since last basho Okinoumi beat all the big guys but lost to everyone else.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
They didn't show the replay of Arawashi and Hakuho on the live stream, but I'm convinced he went in with a plan. He knew he couldn't straight up get Hakuho and he'd be punished mightily for a henka, so he threw a Harumafuji Special as bait, then Harumafuji Specialed the response.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Reaction after day 9: What a crazy-rear end tournament

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Day 9: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjU3UMCbNv8

Yes this is a very crazy tournament :stare:

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Rigel posted:

Pressure is on now, will Kisenosato crumble again?

yes.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

This basho, goddamn.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Fist pumping like a mother fucker for Ikioi

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

I could hear in my head every yaocho nutjob from sumotalk go silent as an ineffective Kotoshogiku put a huge dent in Kisenosato's yusho/yokozuna hopes, and then immediately hear them start up again as Hakuho got blasted off the tachiai by Takayasu.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Lmao two days in a row of hakuho getting bum rushed has been quality. Kise does not have the speed to do this when the time comes though so he is going to have to try and yorikiri his way to victory

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Fryhtaning posted:

I could hear in my head every yaocho nutjob from sumotalk go silent as an ineffective Kotoshogiku put a huge dent in Kisenosato's yusho/yokozuna hopes, and then immediately hear them start up again as Hakuho got blasted off the tachiai by Takayasu.

In fairness (but seriously, gently caress Sumo Talk), Hakuho did kinda look annoyed like he had to lose to ANOTHER mook just to keep Kise looking good. If Kise loses today, I expect Hakuho just to sigh and fall over at the tachiai.

In other news, TAKANOIWA YUSHO!!!

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Elissimpark posted:

In fairness (but seriously, gently caress Sumo Talk), Hakuho did kinda look annoyed like he had to lose to ANOTHER mook just to keep Kise looking good. If Kise loses today, I expect Hakuho just to sigh and fall over at the tachiai.

In other news, TAKANOIWA YUSHO!!!

IF (and a Gagamaru-sized IF that is) Hakuho lost on purpose, the only reason would be to better ensure that he has the satisfaction of taking Kisenosato out himself. Kisenosato's lack of killer instinct annoys the poo poo out of Hakuho. But even then, lolno.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
You guys are trying to make this complicated. It's not complicated. Hakuho is so scared of Mitakeumi, he threw the match to steal Mita-kun's kinboshi thunder.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

That stink eye that Hakuho had after that loss was amazing

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I got tix for day 14. Hopefully the tournament gets even weirder as it comes to a close.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

Dr.Radical posted:

I got tix for day 14. Hopefully the tournament gets even weirder as it comes to a close.

Takanoiwa takes the Yusho

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
So many 7-2 guys right behind the leaders. Wave after wave of playoff fights coming?

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

hot date tonight! posted:

Takanoiwa takes the Yusho

Day 14 is the day Kisenosato can clinch the yusho. His opponent is a weak Hakuho, still clearly having issues with his previous injury. At the last second, Hakuho's concerned oyakata swoops in with a giant fan on his back and takes Hakuho to safety, forfeiting the match. Despite his technical win, the YDC does not see this as a legitimate yusho, denying it as progress toward Yokozuna promotion. Kisenosato is crushed, spirals into a booze fueled depression.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Day 10 is over.

One word or phrase to summarize this day, hmm... Tension building!

Rigel fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jan 17, 2017

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Fryhtaning posted:

IF (and a Gagamaru-sized IF that is) Hakuho lost on purpose, the only reason would be to better ensure that he has the satisfaction of taking Kisenosato out himself. Kisenosato's lack of killer instinct annoys the poo poo out of Hakuho. But even then, lolno.

Maybe he's testing the limits of Kisenosato's self-sabotage for shits and giggles.

Dr.Radical posted:

Are you in the cheap seats or the boxes? The live broadcast has been a bit obsessed with filthy gaijin in the crowd the past couple of days (well, more than usual), so there's a chance you'll be on TV, if you're in the boxes.

Dr.Radical posted:

Day 14 is the day Kisenosato can clinch the yusho. His opponent is a weak Hakuho, still clearly having issues with his previous injury. At the last second, Hakuho's concerned oyakata swoops in with a giant fan on his back and takes Hakuho to safety, forfeiting the match. Despite his technical win, the YDC does not see this as a legitimate yusho, denying it as progress toward Yokozuna promotion. Kisenosato is crushed, spirals into a booze fueled depression.

Good thing you had the foresight to get tickets...

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Day 10: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz52WDo-nTU

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Shoudai and Mitakeumi could become the best rivalry since Kotoshogiku v Kisenosato (30 to 33). Maybe even Akebono v Takanohana, especially considering they already seem to have each other's respect.

High probability Dr. Radical is going to witness history on day 14.

Shiroc posted:

So many 7-2 guys right behind the leaders. Wave after wave of playoff fights coming?

You're going to start seeing those 8-2 (esp if they're 9-2 tomorrow) guys starting to go up against people 5-10 ranks higher on days 12-15. The guys at 7-3 mostly have downhill battles from this point on, though (Ikioi, Mitakeumi, Takayasu). I'd say the odds of one of the latter 3 ending up in a playoff his higher than any of the lower guys that are at 8-2.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Elissimpark posted:

Are you in the cheap seats or the boxes? The live broadcast has been a bit obsessed with filthy gaijin in the crowd the past couple of days (well, more than usual), so there's a chance you'll be on TV, if you're in the boxes.

Cheap(ish) seats. Mid row tickets for second floor are still about $50, not exactly what I would call cheap. Me and my friends get tickets at convenience store machines like every other schmuck. On the plus side, there really isn't a bad seat in the house. I mean unless you're seated next to a bunch of loud foreigners who have no idea what's going on.

And yeah, I have seen a ton of whitey on TV lately. I wonder how they get the seats. Available masu seat tickets are not exactly in abundance, never mind the sand seats.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I really enjoyed my box seats when I visited a couple years ago. They were kind of corner seats, so the view wasn't the best but with the way sumo goes, it wasn't a big deal at all. My friends and I ended up sitting next to a very drunk local who spoke decent english. He let us know that there was a promotion where we could shake hands with recently retired Kotooshu and get a calendar or something for the year. So, that was very cool.

When he wasn't helping us acclimate ourselves to the arena and the goings on, he was hitting on an older German lady a couple seats away.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Dr.Radical posted:

Cheap(ish) seats. Mid row tickets for second floor are still about $50, not exactly what I would call cheap. Me and my friends get tickets at convenience store machines like every other schmuck. On the plus side, there really isn't a bad seat in the house. I mean unless you're seated next to a bunch of loud foreigners who have no idea what's going on.

And yeah, I have seen a ton of whitey on TV lately. I wonder how they get the seats. Available masu seat tickets are not exactly in abundance, never mind the sand seats.

If you're quick with the online ticket site through the NSK, you can get masu seats - when I went in 2015, even though I ended up buying in the nosebleed section, I had the option of a box, but you'd need to be in on the day tix went on sale.

We ended up in the very back southwest corner (sumo west), but the view was great. We got to see the emperor too, and an old English lady (who I'm pretty sure was Doreen Simmons) explained some of the stuff going on for us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Elissimpark posted:

If you're quick with the online ticket site through the NSK, you can get masu seats - when I went in 2015, even though I ended up buying in the nosebleed section, I had the option of a box, but you'd need to be in on the day tix went on sale.

We ended up in the very back southwest corner (sumo west), but the view was great. We got to see the emperor too, and an old English lady (who I'm pretty sure was Doreen Simmons) explained some of the stuff going on for us.

You just happened to sit next to Doreen? She's almost as much of a legend as Kintamayama on the sumoforums.