Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Infinitum posted:

What game is this?

Spelunker World. It's a F2P PS4 game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The original ps4 and slim play games just fine :shrug:

TLG runs poorly, but thats no surprise considering the devs

The actual truth of the fact that both, currently, are all over the place. TLG is worse in standard mode, while other games are worse on the Pro. Devs in general are struggling with the fact that they have to split resources between two iterations of the console, and eventually, they're going to choose the path of least resistance. Which is emphasizing the more powerful hardware.

And that's not even getting into the fact that Sony and Microsoft have spoken of the iterative model as a general plan moving forward, which more or less tells us that the Slim's days of relevance are numbered. And the Pro itself once they actually manage to do one that does real 4K and not the frankenstein they've created.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

The Big Band performances usually have that one big guy with the...trumpet? Bugle? Anyways I hope he manages to show up he always looks like he's having a blast.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I'll buy a Switch Pro Controller only if someone makes a PC driver for it. It should be pretty awesome if people get the gyro working well on there.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

So I spent the afternoon reading over the thread's play by play of the presentation and now I'm even more skeptical and sad about the whole thing than I was before. I was hoping the Switch was going to be a SNES level return to form, way to loving ruin everything for me you goddamn goons.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Meridian posted:

So I spent the afternoon reading over the thread's play by play of the presentation and now I'm even more skeptical and sad about the whole thing than I was before. I was hoping the Switch was going to be a SNES level return to form, way to loving ruin everything for me you goddamn goons.

The switch has proven that Nintendo will never be at the top again. But you can play cow milking games because that is what the public has been clamoring for.

Ya know, I think Nintendo might actually be paying attention to the US. They did focus on a shooting each other with guns game.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Meridian posted:

Are YOU excited for it? Do the games look interesting and are there ones you'd love to share with your mates?

Then gently caress everyone else.

Waltzing Along posted:

The switch has proven that Nintendo will never be at the top again. But you can play cow milking games because that is what the public has been clamoring for.

Ya know, I think Nintendo might actually be paying attention to the US. They did focus on a shooting each other with guns game.

You were a particular standout naysayer I spotted, when I was skimming the thread to catch up

I'm glad you were called out on your "Nintendo has ruined Nintendo" white-noise.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Waltzing Along posted:

After the Wii I had already pretty much given up on Nintendo. The only franchises of theirs I really care about are Mario Kart and Smash. Brawl was awful and Mario Kart at the time wasn't worth owning the system for. They appear to have doubled down on gimmicky bullshit. I guess I was hoping that Nintendo would stop thinking about their product as a toy.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Infinitum posted:

Are YOU excited for it? Do the games look interesting and are there ones you'd love to share with your mates?

Then gently caress everyone else.

You were e a particular standout naysayer I see when I was skimming the thread to catch up

I'm glad you were called out on your "Nintendo has ruined Nintendo" white-noise.

Nintendo has ruined Nintendo. It's become pretty clear that a 100 year old company with 100 year old Japanese values isn't ever going to be what a bunch of whiny American man babies want it to be.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the more i look at the lack of switch titles in the first year, the more I become convinced that Nintendo, for reasons I can't fathom, still has development teams on 3DS -and- Wii U. for all intents and purposes the Wii U should flat out be toast after Zelda but after that post I made about IntSys and Retro and Good Feel and Next Level and etc etc etc.. there's just too many divisions working on unannounced projects for there not to be more software than this

I don't get it though. just take the loss on the Wii U and move on, why still release software for it. I get 3DS because of its install base but, the Swich was supposed to consolidate everything and instead (based on my speculation involving absolutely no evidence!!!) they're trying to put out software on 4 platforms, when you include mobile

i'm looking forward to future Nintendo Directs where half the posts are "why isn't this on Switch"

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Meridian posted:

After the Wii I had already pretty much given up on Nintendo. The only franchises of theirs I really care about are Mario Kart and Smash. Brawl was awful and Mario Kart at the time wasn't worth owning the system for. They appear to have doubled down on gimmicky bullshit. I guess I was hoping that Nintendo would stop thinking about their product as a toy.

Which is exactly why so many people were disappointed.

With so much time to look back on what they have done wrong.
With so much time to look at user feedback about what is wanted and what is not wanted.

Nintendo does everything wrong again but doubles down on the wrong. It's really amazing when you think about it. They got just about every single thing they could get wrong, wrong.

Still buying the thing because I like video games and this will be the only way to play some of the video games that I like to play.

But I know I'm an idiot for going along with this poo poo.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Infinitum posted:

I was cautiously optimistic. I was interested in it specifically because I was assuming it is going to replace their handheld line and I like Monster Hunter and had some hopes for Vita devs and others to bring back cool franchises that haven't been touched for a while. I am concerned about performance. I expect that first party titles will be crispy, because Nintendo usually does a good job with that, but I honestly don't give a poo poo about Zelda and that appears to be what they're trying to sell the console with. Not that that's a bad thing, just not a day one purchase for me if that's all they're bringing to the table.

I also think the way the way they're pricing accessories is ridiculous.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
People seem to misremeber how badly the Vita got hosed by Nintendo. Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest: Stolen. Level 5: bribed to oblivion to ignore Sony platforms.

The Switch will be fine because when good software needs to appear Nintendo Ninjas will just pluck the rest of the Japanese Vita supporters because really no developer should ignore the Platform only Pokemon. Yokai Watch owes Pokemon bigly.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

TFRazorsaw posted:

also adjusted for inflation, the Switch is the 4th cheapest console launch of all time.

I thought you were all trying to justify how weak it is through saying its actually a handheld?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

man i must be stupid wanting to play a mindblowing zelda and other games i want on a console that also is portable. And I have friends for multiplayer? What was i thinking!?!

That said I can't wait for more announcements, Advancewars and whatnot. But hey its literally 24 hours after first offical deets lets bitch castlevania isnt shown yet.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Anidav posted:

People seem to misremeber how badly the Vita got hosed by Nintendo. Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest: Stolen. Level 5: bribed to oblivion to ignore Sony platforms.

The Switch will be fine because when good software needs to appear Nintendo Ninjas will just pluck the rest of the Japanese Vita supporters because really no developer should ignore the Platform only Pokemon. Yokai Watch owes Pokemon bigly.

Well yeah, at this point the Vita developers don't have anywhere else to go. It's pretty much a guarantee. Current launch line up doesn't justify the hype in my opinion, but that doesn't mean there won't be something out there for everyone at some point. Bought my PS4 for Bloodborne and it was worth every cent for that game alone.

I dunno. Feel like I've been missing the boat on Nintendo stuff for two generations now, but the recent press makes me wonder if that's really true.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Junkie Disease posted:

man i must be stupid wanting to play a mindblowing zelda and other games i want on a console that also is portable. And I have friends for multiplayer? What was i thinking!?!

That said I can't wait for more announcements, Advancewars and whatnot. But hey its literally 24 hours after first offical deets lets bitch castlevania isnt shown yet.
Man I wish advance wars was a thing. going from DS to Switch resolution would really open up the map sizes and make for fun combat animations

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

it's a handheld it's a handheld why do I have to dock it

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Junkie Disease posted:

But hey its literally 24 hours after first offical deets lets bitch castlevania isnt shown yet.

I don't think that's what's happening here.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Anidav posted:

BUT LAUNCH GAMES!

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
Is anyone else not interested at all in console iterations? Not gonna buy a PS4 Pro, Scorpio, or the inevitable New Nintendo Switch.

I've got a normal PS4 and I preordered a Switch. That's all you need to accompany a gaming PC.

Get a loving gaming PC if you want high end graphics like a normal person.

If consoles go further down the iteration road and titles start running like poo poo/stop coming out quick for base models I am just gonna stop buying consoles

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!

a.lo posted:

it's a handheld it's a handheld why do I have to dock it

I thought my phone was portable why do I have to charge it?!!???

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

trash person posted:

Is anyone else not interested at all in console iterations? Not gonna buy a PS4 Pro, Scorpio, or the inevitable New Nintendo Switch.

I've got a normal PS4 and I preordered a Switch. That's all you need to accompany a gaming PC.

Get a loving gaming PC if you want high end graphics like a normal person.

If consoles go further down the iteration road and titles start running like poo poo/stop coming out quick for base models I am just gonna stop buying consoles

I'm with you. Consoles are for the exclusives my much more awesome PC doesn't have access to.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Junkie Disease posted:

BUT LAUNCH GAMES!

Zelda. Bomberman. I am Setsuna. Has Been Heroes.

All look like must buys IMHO.

Then digitally we are probably looking at stuff like Shantae, Redout maybe a few other things. Treehouse said there would be more game announcements next week.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

Nintendo has ruined Nintendo. It's become pretty clear that a 100 year old company with 100 year old Japanese values isn't ever going to be what a bunch of whiny American man babies want it to be.

Sorry you aren't hype for
- A next-gen portable console you can game pretty much anywhere with
- One of the best looking Zelda's ever (Like seriously that was a stunning trailer they showed off during the presentation)
- An upcoming sandbox Mario game ala 64 and Sunshine
- Virtual On X Punchout
- BOMBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNN
- Return of Mario Kart Battle Mode
- Splatoon Sequel
- MASSIVE lineup of 3rd party support with an absolute fuckton of more mature titles you'd expect to see on a PS4+XBone
- Do you like RPGS? BECAUSE WE HAVE ABOUT A BAJILLION OF THEM COMING
- Being a WIZARD LIZARD in Skyrim and 2 handed blasting fireballs at some dragons
- Letting in more mature titles from the get go ala Binding of Isaac (Which had a hell of a time getting onto the WiiU the first time around)

I will concede the following
- The presentation wasn't.. great and more inline with a shareholders meeting.
- Wasn't shown off to the best of Nintendo's abilities. For example, we know very little about the eshop experience and haven't had a decent look at the OS UI yet.
- 1 2 Switch not being a pack in title is dumb. It's a dumb little party game and nothing more, and is not even worth the almost full retail price they're asking for it
- Paid online is dumb, but if it offers a better quality of service inline with Xbox Live and PS+ it should be alright
- A free game you only get to play for a month before they take it back, instead of adding it to your account is dumb
- Rereleasing WiiU titles on the Switch is dumb, but I can understand the appeal of wanting gamers to enjoy a set of really solid titles on an evolution of the previous platform
- A somewhat lackluster Day ONE set of launch titles, but a bunch of loving cool poo poo in the pipes for the next few months
- Miiverse being scrapped is BOO
- Lack of Streetpass is BOO
- Lack of Stylus is BOO

Everyones having a kneejerk reaction to this.
Price contention is a moot point, because every brand new console is expensive as gently caress and it does all this cool loving poo poo.

Still.. it is a very very very cool looking console, and just going "NINTENDO IS DOOOOOMEMEMDMDMEDD" is just the dumbest loving mentality because Nintendo have ALWAYS done well for themselves and know how to make themselves stand out from the crowd.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Fulchrum posted:

I thought you were all trying to justify how weak it is through saying its actually a handheld?

Well, it's somewhere between a handheld and a home console in terms of tech. That comes with tradeoffs. There's no getting around that.

The whole "why isn't it cheaper" bit is disingenuous because the thing's price has more to do with things than how strong it is. People simultaneously wanted something "cheap and affordable" while also saying it should stand up to the Wii U while also being able to be taken on the go and that's not just feasible.

EDIT - basically you can't have all three of those things and even just one that meets TWO of those requirements is a barely more powerful wii u machine with a less expensive screen, no detachable controller, and made solely for first party games.

at that point you might as well just make a new version of the DS family.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jan 14, 2017

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Binding of Isaac + IS ALSO LAUNCH.

So Indies seem to be pulling some weight

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

I preordered and am looking forward to playing some fun nintendo games with friends and family, maybe even strangers on line through splatoon 2. :shobon:

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

went to the local gamestop in so cal; asked if they were still taking preorders, they said, "sure" preordered the system and Zelda. she gave me a high five, and I left.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I went over the list and see 3 games I am excited about and a total of 7 I will consider buying. I don't think that is a very strong opening.

Zelda, Mario and MK (though I'm not as excited but new courses are always welcome.)
Has Been Heroes, Xenoblade and I forgot the other 2. Oh wait, no I didn't. It was only 5.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

I went over the list and see 3 games I am excited about and a total of 7 I will consider buying. I don't think that is a very strong opening.

Zelda, Mario and MK (though I'm not as excited but new courses are always welcome.)
Has Been Heroes, Xenoblade and I forgot the other 2. Oh wait, no I didn't. It was only 5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdd6_ZxX8c

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Anidav posted:

Zelda. Bomberman. I am Setsuna. Has Been Heroes.

All look like must buys IMHO.

Then digitally we are probably looking at stuff like Shantae, Redout maybe a few other things. Treehouse said there would be more game announcements next week.

Oh im with you, just keeping the tradition of the thread alive. I heard someone make the argument sd is bad because its slower than blueray, instead of laughing at him over something I assumed I knew I said I don't know.
Blueray has a max bitrate of 54 mbits per second while UHS - II can do 156 MB/s. Thats bits v bytes so holy crap yes.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Infinitum posted:

Blah blah and a bunch of stuff on other systems.

Ah yes, let me pay more for that gimped down version of this game I can get on a better system. Good idea.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

TFRazorsaw posted:

Well, it's somewhere between a handheld and a home console in terms of tech. That comes with tradeoffs. There's no getting around that.

The whole "why isn't it cheaper" bit is disingenuous because the thing's price has more to do with things than how strong it is. People simultaneously wanted something "cheap and affordable" while also saying it should stand up to the Wii U while also being able to be taken on the go and that's not just feasible.

EDIT - basically you can't have all three of those things and even just one that meets TWO of those requirements is a barely more powerful wii u machine with a less expensive screen, no detachable controller, and made solely for first party games.

at that point you might as well just make a new version of the DS family.

I'm coming at this from the perspective of someone who buys all the Nintendo handhelds and gives 0 shits about any of the consoles, so my perspective is of course badly skewed, but

This is exactly why I'm pissed at the Switch. It's saddled with a bunch of compromises from Nintendo trying very badly for this to be a viable hybrid system and the tradeoffs are of no benefit to me. The home console side of things was a giant albatross around Nintendo's neck and instead of cutting it off they're cannibalizing their far more successful handheld line (in market conditions that have been far, far more hostile to the idea of such a dedicated gaming system even existing) in order to try to prop it up.

Yes I very much would have preferred a new version of the DS.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

Ah yes, let me pay more for that gimped down version of this game I can get on a better system. Good idea.

Then go play those systems then.

You're also just making assumptions that they're gimped. We know very little about titles such as FIFA, NBA2k18, Steep, etc.

Stop being an asshat for the sake of being an asshat.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Also lol at complaining about the fact Nintendo are now getting cross-port titles inline with PS4, Xbone, and PC.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

take your ps4 on a train and get jacked son

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Infinitum posted:

Then go play those systems then.

You're also just making assumptions that they're gimped. We know very little about titles such as FIFA, NBA2k18, Steep, etc.

Stop being an asshat for the sake of being an asshat.

Wasn't there already a tweet that titles like FIFA are running on the PS3/360 versions?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Pureauthor posted:

I'm coming at this from the perspective of someone who buys all the Nintendo handhelds and gives 0 shits about any of the consoles, so my perspective is of course badly skewed, but

This is exactly why I'm pissed at the Switch. It's saddled with a bunch of compromises from Nintendo trying very badly for this to be a viable hybrid system and the tradeoffs are of no benefit to me. The home console side of things was a giant albatross around Nintendo's neck and instead of cutting it off they're cannibalizing their far more successful handheld line (in market conditions that have been far, far more hostile to the idea of such a dedicated gaming system even existing) in order to try to prop it up.

Yes I very much would have preferred a new version of the DS.

This is very true. The price is greatly bloated by joycons that are soon to be useless. They might have cool tech in them, but it is cool tech that does not make for better games. The basic idea of a handheld that amps up when docked was ALL THEY NEEDED. But they had to poo poo it up and jump the price by $50 or more. Nintendo is great about talking about how games are supposed to be fun but then they constantly screw themselves over by adding in dumb hardware.

They could have fixed the Wii U so so easily. Just drop the gamepad and sell a Wii U with a Pro controller. Sure, you'd lose some abilities but not much. They would have then been able to sell the system for $100 less. With the games they had available at a super cheap price point, the thing would have sold much much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Junkie Disease posted:

take your ps4 on a train and get jacked son

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndnASjR9sfU

• Locked thread