Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Doggles posted:

:vince:

We reduced risk by passing it on to you, the consumer! Now congratulate us in our contribution to the future of the industry. :capitalism:
Unfortunately given the tech runs hard libertarian you wont see many complaints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

nm posted:

Stay away from our penal code. There be dragons.

And our prison system. Ouch.

e: Man, our threat title changes are always on point. Well done, that mod.

Munchery lays off 30 They got a new CEO in November, because they were having a hard time getting new funding.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jan 12, 2017

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
In case anyone didn't click, they're moving forward with the high-altitude balloons instead, not abandoning the plan to have internet-providing aerial devices altogether. Which is still pretty cool in a sci-fi way.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

outlier posted:

Hell, yes. I had a pre-iPod mp3 player and it was primitive and hard to use and I had to make all these decisions and spend a lot of time managing it. iTunes and iPods appeared and I could just use the devices. Meanwhile, the weenies on Slashdot are arguing about how they can't manually manage tracks on an iPod and it won't play Ogg Vorbis and couldn't store their entire 300 Gb library of anime theme music.

Ditto similar comments about smart phones. I also had a pre-iPhone/android "smartphone" and it was hell to use. Install packages by connecting it to a PC, downloading an archive to the phone and manually unpacking and configuring it on the Phone. Even for something as simple as themes. No app store. No synchronisation.

And don't get me started about people complaining about ebooks, because they can't read them in the shower ...

Ok but here's the thing: the original iPod did suck hard. And the iPod didn't get really popular for quite a few years after it launched. Among its biggest problems for the average computer user was that it initially was firewire connection only, and Macintosh computer only, and then when they first added Windows support so you could actually use it yous till couldn't use it because your Windows computer only had USB. So most people had to wait until they started supporting USB connection and really supporting Windows. So again, the first iPod yeah, it was "lame", and Apple could have easily not managed to fix it in time. Remember when their lines of digital cameras and printers and all those other things Apple tried before and after the iPod flopped? Probably not, because they failed so hard and when they were around they were very small time stuff.

Similarly the first iPhone had a lot of problems, especially Apple's weird decision to not have any 3G support. This caused it to have extra problems with the app model Steve Jobs wanted, which was web applications run through the browser. It also caused problems for reception and call quality. It took til the iPhone 3g came out the next year along with the real launch of an app store to solve that, and then another year or two for the device to get really popular through further refinement that fixed the glaring problems.

People's memory of how the devices were very popular years on causes them to misremember how popular and good the initial devices in the series were, basically. That's why you don't see people going around praising this:

That's the first and the last Apple QuickTake digital cameras. They were actually fairly important when they were first launched in 1994 - they were one of the first consumer-usable digital camera lines, and worked fairly well. They were even fairly big in the market for a short time. But Apple couldn't handle breaking them into the mainstream, and gave up on the line in 1997. Since that never went mass market, you don't see it come up in people praising Apple for making good products, even though they were actually fairly good, and in many ways better than others available on the market.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Also it had better hardware so the discussion doesn't even make sense. Even if the iphone just ran palmOS or blackberry it still had better screen and camera and touch sensor and cpu and memory. It was just a better phone, full stop period.

No, the original iPhone was inferior in all of those ways to similar devices on the market, except in the touch sensor which was a bit better (but still not great) and the resolution of the screen which was fairly typical of the times - the resolution and color quality of the original iPhone screen was on par with the top end Palm Pilot devices of the previous year. And as mentioned, there were serious call quality problems, partially from not having 3G support and partially from poor microphone design.

The 3G model of the next year solved a lot of the problems and the 3GS after it solved a lot of the rest, but the original iPhone was barely a good phone, and definitely not better.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

fishmech posted:

No, the original iPhone was inferior in all of those ways to similar devices on the market, except in the touch sensor which was a bit better (but still not great) and the resolution of the screen which was fairly typical of the times - the resolution and color quality of the original iPhone screen was on par with the top end Palm Pilot devices of the previous year. And as mentioned, there were serious call quality problems, partially from not having 3G support and partially from poor microphone design.

Can you name which devices you are talking about? Specifically?

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

fishmech posted:

The 3G model of the next year solved a lot of the problems and the 3GS after it solved a lot of the rest, but the original iPhone was barely a good phone, and definitely not better.

the original iphone was decent, and had the hype game because people were getting into the nice aluminium macbooks, and ipod was a big deal

the 3g and the appstore were loving amazing

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Can you name which devices you are talking about? Specifically?

Sure, for example the Palm TX had the 320x480 decent LCD screen, at about the same size too. Various Symbian smartphones from Nokia and others had better RAM and CPU (for instance, the popular Nokia N95 had a dual core 330 mhz ARM11 CPU when the original iPhone hasd a single core 412 mhz ARM11 CPU, and that N95 had 128 MB of RAM as the iPhone did). The LG Prada featurephone had a comparable quality capacitive touchscreen a few months before the iPhone came out (and since the original iPhone functioned as a featurephone until the updates that brought the App Store and native third party apps the next year, it's a fair comparison). And of course, tons of phones had had 3G radios for years before the iPhone came out, which mad it the most glaring omission, especially for a high cost "smartphone" device.

There were even specialty phones like the HTC Advantage X7500, which had a fully 640x480 resolution screen (original iPhone was 320x480), 624 mhz Intel ARM CPU, faster 128 MB RAM and the screen was a whole 5 inch across. This one did happen to be considered unusually large for the time, and only did resistive touch, because high enough resolution capacitive screens weren't available for its early 2007 launch.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

And our prison system. Ouch.

e: Man, our threat title changes are always on point. Well done, that mod.

Munchery lays off 30 They got a new CEO in November, because they were having a hard time getting new funding.

I feel like the food start-up "disrupter" bubble has to loving implode sooner or later as everyone collectively wakes up and realizes that anything more then easy&cheap basic grocery delivery is loving impossible anywhere outside of wealthy urban population centers. People in suburbs and smaller towns would probably be more then willing to pay a decent surcharge for their weekly shopping dropped off like the mail but they sure as poo poo won't pay a 300% premium to get pre-sorted, pre-bagged ingredients to make "gourmet" meals. The last thing one of 2 working parents wants to do when they get home is spend 45 minutes cooking a gourmet meal for their kids who'd be happy with basic pasta and ketchup. It's like these tech companies are expecting their client base to consist solely of high earning working professionals who don't have and will never have children in the future.

The expansion of food delivery apps like Doordash and Grubhub make sense, because people still spend $40 for 2 pizzas and $4 for a 2-litre of soda even if they're struggling for money because its cheap and easy. I've known more then a few people making barely above minimum wage who end up with a stack of 10 old pizza boxes in their apartment every 2-3 weeks because they're lazy and don't go to the grocery store.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I got this recruitment spam:

someone claiming to be named Katana posted:

We are a VC-backed NYC startup that is using distributed systems and blockchain technology to revolutionize the multi-trillion dollar loans market and disrupt the FinTech industry.

We have already attracted significant investor interest and press coverage, and our founding team has a history of pioneering in the cryptocurrency space. By joining us, you have the opportunity to become an integral team member of a project to revolutionize modern finance, as well as the ability to help to define truly cutting-edge technology.

No mention anywhere of what the company is or what they claim to be trying to do. It's an ideal startup.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

fishmech posted:

Ok but here's the thing: the original iPod did suck hard.

Could you be more wrong?

quote:

Similarly the first iPhone had a lot of problems, especially Apple's weird decision to not have any 3G support.

Could you be more wrong?

Not everybody bought the original iPhone but everybody wanted one. And part of what helped it ship when it did was the fact that it supported 2G EDGE, not the just-rolling-out 3G.

Most people who did have mobile data at the time were using GPRS, so EDGE was actually an improvement.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

eschaton posted:

Could you be more wrong?

Could you be more wrong?

Not everybody bought the original iPhone but everybody wanted one. And part of what helped it ship when it did was the fact that it supported 2G EDGE, not the just-rolling-out 3G.

Most people who did have mobile data at the time were using GPRS, so EDGE was actually an improvement.

If you think a device that broke frequently, used an uncommon connector type, and didn't work with over 90% of people's computers at the time was a good product without problems, well, I have this great blood testing startup to sell you an interest in!

No, "everybody" didn't want one. A bunch of early adopter types really wanted it, but they also really wanted a bunch of other things. Mass popularity had to wait for a lot of the problems to be fixed. You're doing the very thing I talked about : projecting popularity now, into "obviously this was massively popular and good at the start too!!".

And 3G wasn't "just rolling out" in 2007, it had been rolling out since 2005. Sure if you were in buttfuck nowheresville, Montana you wouldn't have it, but if you were in a big city or suburb like most people were, you could use it. EDGE being an improvement over GPRS is hardly saying much either. Especially when again, most other smartphones of the time had 3G, because shock and horror having usable data speeds is vital for a smartphone. Which is why the very next version of the iPhone included a 3G chipset, of course.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

fishmech posted:

You're doing the very thing I talked about : projecting popularity now, into "obviously this was massively popular and good at the start too!!".

No, I was actually there when the iPhone was not just released but in progress.

You grossly underestimate the desirability to normal people. People didn't get it because they were locked into contracts, they preferred a different carrier, or they couldn't afford it. Not because it didn't meet some fishmech feature checklist.

There's a reason every single loving phone looked like iPhone just a year later.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

eschaton posted:

No, I was actually there when the iPhone was not just released but in progress.

You grossly underestimate the desirability to normal people. People didn't get it because they were locked into contracts, they preferred a different carrier, or they couldn't afford it. Not because it didn't meet some fishmech feature checklist.

There's a reason every single loving phone looked like iPhone just a year later.

They also didn't get it because they didn't particularly see the point in getting one, just as they didn't see the point in getting previous smartphones. It took until not just the app store existing at all, but the app store getting big time, in order for the mass public to want them. Yes, people like you were obessesed with getting one, but that didn't track to the public. Also sorry it hurts your feelings to mention features, but someone explicitly tried to claim it was the best on a checklist of features - the post is right here if you are incapable of scrolling up on this page https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&postid=468225775#post468225775

They didn't "look just like the iPhone" within a year though, and the iPhone didn't even pioneer touchscreen-major rounded rectangle phone design either. But once again, you're so obsessed with what the iPhone is now that you don't want to remember what it was then.

PS: The refusal to include 3G is still utterly indefensible, especially for the price Apple expected you to pay. The only way to disagree with that is to be the kind of Apple-worshipping lunatic who built shrines at apple stores when Steve Jobs died (due to his own stupidity, as no one should ever forget).

fishmech fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jan 13, 2017

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

fishmech posted:

The refusal to include 3G is still utterly indefensible, especially for the price Apple expected you to pay. The only way to disagree with that is to be the kind of Apple-worshipping lunatic

lol "Every feature I can imagine is trivial to implement, carries no program risk, and is not subject to any other party in the system, any lack is therefore mustache-twirling villainy rife with explicit contempt for users." Like the sheer volume of intent you inject into a situation full of complex tradeoffs is amazing.

My favorite example of the carrier ecosystem at launch is AT&T thinking they could restrict Youtubes to the first minute.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

JawnV6 posted:

lol "Every feature I can imagine is trivial to implement, carries no program risk, and is not subject to any other party in the system, any lack is therefore mustache-twirling villainy rife with explicit contempt for users." Like the sheer volume of intent you inject into a situation full of complex tradeoffs is amazing.

It's not every feature, dear, merely a 3G radio, which was already a standard feature among high end phones of the time.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

fishmech posted:

It's not every feature, dear, merely a 3G radio, which was already a standard feature among high end phones of the time.
Yeah I'm familiar with your general tactic of surveying every other boxy keyboard-riddled non-featurephone on the market and pattern matching the spec checklist to claim all manner of feasibility, but "the N95 had one!!!" really doesn't say anything about the thermal profile of fitting one into 0.7 inches. It falls very short of convincing me that evil ichor dripped through their veins instead of blood.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Not to completely agree with fishmech, but my buddy had a 1st gen iPhone in summer 2007 and I remember being distinctly unimpressed with its usability. It was just painfully slow due to a combination of no 3G (Verizon had pretty solid 3G coverage and I used a 3G PCMCIA card* to poo poo post on the internet during my 2006 transam -- it had unlimited data and cost less than my current cell phone bill) and websites not really be optimized for the browser (and the browser wasn't nearly as good at dealing with slow connections as opera mobile). The UI was good, but with no app store and slow browsing it was just a really nice phone.

The 3G on the other hand made everything else look like antiques. I still miss my physical keyboard though, loving steve jobs.

*Which was attached to a fujitsu mini-laptop with a transmeta Crusoe chip -- that fucker was slow as poo poo, but also had like 12 hours of battery life and was tiny for 2006).

nm fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jan 13, 2017

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

nm posted:

Not to completely agree with fishmech, but my buddy had a 1st gen iPhone in summer 2007 and I remember being distinctly unimpressed with its usability. It was just painfully slow due to a combination of no 3G (Verizon had pretty solid 3G coverage and I used a 3G PCMCIA card* to poo poo post on the internet during my 2006 transam -- it had unlimited data and cost less than my current cell phone bill) and websites not really be optimized for the browser (and the browser wasn't nearly as good at dealing with slow connections as opera mobile). The UI was good, but with no app store and slow browsing it was just a really nice phone.

The 3G on the other hand made everything else look like antiques. I still miss my physical keyboard though, loving steve jobs.

In the interest of not posting sweeping generalizations either way, I can say for sure that me and my geek rear end friends felt the same way. It was slow, expensive as gently caress, only available on AT&T, and the idea of a touch keyboard was a very iffy proposition in a world where Blackberry, Nokia and Palm were industry leaders. And only available on AT&T. Did I mention it was an AT&T exclusive? Do you remember how loving bad and overpriced that service was in 2007? It was literally a national joke, as in SNL and the Daily Show both did multiple riffs on it.

It was like every other Apple product. The first version is effectively a public beta, you have to wait for the next one if you don't want to throw money away.

Hell I remember a kid bringing his Powerbook G3 to class when they first came out. For the first version, pre-Pismo, they had literally just shoved a G3 in a 3400c shell. We all thought it was pretty snazzy until the heat from the vent melted his binder cover and glued the thing to his desk in a pool of plastic.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The Lola selfie drone, which was funded by direct preorders (not through Kickstarter or the equivalent) has given up the ghost without delivering.

How did they manage to fail to produce a product that already exists at way lower prices?

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Hardware startups that kickstart are always like this. My girlfriend's dad runs an engineering consultancy and he's told me some stories I unfortunately can't share due to confidentiality. But the gist of it is that people who are, at best, marginally qualified put together a slick marketing video and raise enough money to have a prototype made. If they have sufficient self-awareness, they hire an engineering firm to actually design the thing at this point. If they don't they spend most of their money hiring an industrial design firm to create the casing while muddling through the internals on their own. Half to two thirds of the way to their ship date they will have a set of beautiful renderings of a device that, at best, barely does what it's supposed to do and costs four times as much as it should. If they're lucky, they have enough money left over to hire an engineering firm to fix it.

Said engineering firm will usually be significantly handicapped by bizarre form factor decisions made in the interest of branding that the client will refuse to change, or which they will change and which will make the thing look like a prop from a sci-fi TV show from 1996. They'll either run out of money at this point or release something three weeks late that backers will hate and then make a huge stink about on Twitter. They will pay the engineering firm three months late, but it's okay because the engineering firm will charge them 10 times as much as it would have cost to hire one competent engineer at the start to design the thing.

TechCrunch will declare the men behind this visionaries if they manage to raise more than the cost of a downmarket sedan.

Baby Babbeh fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jan 13, 2017

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Shugojin posted:

I got this recruitment spam:

No mention anywhere of what the company is or what they claim to be trying to do. It's an ideal startup.
There is a reoccurring blockchain fintech conference in my building. I'm not sure if anyone actually knows what to do with blockchain tech yet but bitcoins finance something computers money future disruption.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

JawnV6 posted:

Yeah I'm familiar with your general tactic of surveying every other boxy keyboard-riddled non-featurephone on the market and pattern matching the spec checklist to claim all manner of feasibility, but "the N95 had one!!!" really doesn't say anything about the thermal profile of fitting one into 0.7 inches. It falls very short of convincing me that evil ichor dripped through their veins instead of blood.

So your defense is "but they had to meet this arbitrary thickness that Steve Jobs wanted"? They could have always just made it a bit thicker then. Tradeoffs happen all the time.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

In the interest of not posting sweeping generalizations either way, I can say for sure that me and my geek rear end friends felt the same way. It was slow, expensive as gently caress, only available on AT&T, and the idea of a touch keyboard was a very iffy proposition in a world where Blackberry, Nokia and Palm were industry leaders. And only available on AT&T. Did I mention it was an AT&T exclusive? Do you remember how loving bad and overpriced that service was in 2007? It was literally a national joke, as in SNL and the Daily Show both did multiple riffs on it.

It was like every other Apple product. The first version is effectively a public beta, you have to wait for the next one if you don't want to throw money away.

Hell I remember a kid bringing his Powerbook G3 to class when they first came out. For the first version, pre-Pismo, they had literally just shoved a G3 in a 3400c shell. We all thought it was pretty snazzy until the heat from the vent melted his binder cover and glued the thing to his desk in a pool of plastic.

This is exactly the point.

It's not even a just-Apple thing either that the first product out has major issues. It's really almost a constant in the world of tech. But for whatever reason Apple fans will try to rewrite history for the few products they put out that actually catch on, even though they won't vociferously defend say the Newton or the QuickTake camera line I brought up.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Drone maker Lily Robotics sued by San Francisco district attorney

quote:

The San Francisco district attorney’s office sued Lily Robotics on Thursday over claims that the San Francisco drone maker engaged in false advertising and unfair business practices.

News of the lawsuit came on the same day the Lily announced it would be shutting down its operations after failing to secure additional funding.

Lily received $34 million worth of orders last year for its “throw-and-shoot” camera drone, which the company said could take flight and begin recording video after being tossed into the air.

Crowdfunding campaigns such as Lily’s became popular after Pebble, a Redwood City startup, raised $10 million in orders for a smartwatch in 2012.

Lily said it would begin shipping drones to customers who had placed orders by February 2016, but failed to live up to that promise, the district attorney’s office said.

After conducting what it said was a months-long investigation, the office alleged that Lily lured customers with a promotional video that was actually filmed by a “much more expensive, professional camera drone that requires two people to operate.”

“It does not matter if a company is established or if it is a startup,” District Attorney George Gascón said in a statement announcing the lawsuit Thursday. “Everyone in the market must follow the rules. By protecting consumers, we protect confidence in our system of commerce.”

Lily booked 60,000 advance orders at $499 to $899 each. Gascón’s office obtained an order from a judge requiring the company to return all the money it received from orders to customers and not use it for other purposes. On its website, Lily said it would automatically be issuing refunds to customers over the next 60 days.

The office said it was compelled to require Lily to use the advance-order proceeds for refunds after discovering that the company had used customer money to secure a $4 million bank loan. The suit also alleges that customers had “considerable trouble” requesting refunds and that Lily has “lost contact with a high percentage of its preorder customers.”

A man at Lily’s office declined to comment. The company made no mention of the suit in a post on Thursday, but said that it had been “racing against a clock of ever-diminishing funds” needed to manufacture and ship its first products.
Unicorn thread credo: I shall buy no drone in advance of manufacture. And even then, I shall contemplate the futility of existence first.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

fishmech posted:

So your defense is "but they had to meet this arbitrary thickness that Steve Jobs wanted"? They could have always just made it a bit thicker then. Tradeoffs happen all the time.
:allears: Please fishmech, tell me about product development tradeoffs.

Most phones at the time were picking the thicker option. Most were picking hard keyboards, too. You've spent a lot of time chasing down single competitors that hit very specific features, but to me it just reads as "No wireless. Less space than a nomad. Lame." and a corresponding blindness to the ease of usability of iTunes. Something about the entire product and its UX caught on and enabled the later generations and that'll forever be beyond you if you're determined to find each individual feature in another product without considering the whole. Especially to take it so ridiculously far as to imply that any feature's availability in any product, no matter how much of a market failure, implies evil in the hearts of men who don't include it.

I had my jailbroken iPhone in Israel before they were available there. A colleague asked to see it, with a little bit of hope and wonder. He long-pressed an icon, they went all wobbly, he got confused and handed it back. The magic drained from his eyes. Somehow I've avoided rounding this single anecdote up into apocryphal doom and gloom for the product.

Baby Babbeh posted:

Hardware startups that kickstart are always like this. My girlfriend's dad runs an engineering consultancy and he's told me some stories I unfortunately can't share due to confidentiality. But the gist of it is that people who are, at best, marginally qualified put together a slick marketing video and raise enough money to have a prototype made.
There are a few different failure modes. Some folks figure out how to make a small-run work (~100 hand-made units) then get flooded with 10k orders and don't have the cash to cover the gap to more professional manufacturing. I used to hold the second Pebble up as a great one, engineering's done or at least to the point of EVT/DVT, the money's largely paying for the manufacturing run. The slick folks who are deliberately or unwittingly scamming aren't a large part of the market.

JawnV6 fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 13, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

JawnV6 posted:

Most phones at the time were picking the thicker option. Most were picking hard keyboards, too. You've spent a lot of time chasing down single competitors that hit very specific features, but to me it just reads as "No wireless. Less space than a nomad. Lame." and a corresponding blindness to the ease of usability of iTunes. Something about the entire product and its UX caught on and enabled the later generations and that'll forever be beyond you if you're determined to find each individual feature in another product without considering the whole. Especially to take it so ridiculously far as to imply that any feature's availability in any product, no matter how much of a market failure, implies evil in the hearts of men who don't include it.

I had my jailbroken iPhone in Israel before they were available there. A colleague asked to see it, with a little bit of hope and wonder. He long-pressed an icon, they went all wobbly, he got confused and handed it back. The magic drained from his eyes. Somehow I've avoided rounding this single anecdote up into apocryphal doom and gloom for the product.

They picked a lovely tradeoff, which they were able to rectify in the next year's version. I'm reeeally sorry it upsets you, but the original iPhone was full of terrible decisions that made it a bad phone (again, the worst one being that the call quality was terrible). Just like the original iPod was a pretty terrible music player for the vast majority of people, due to it requiring a very niche computer to work with that most people didn't have. Though it's weird that you somehow think pointing out "the original iPhone sucked" must mean that it's also evil? It makes you sound like you have your identity wrapped up in it in an unhealthy way, mate.

But sure, keep on writing your hagiography of Apple and the original, lovely, iPhone if you want, it just won't be true.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Oh, for God's sake, get a room. Or a thread.

e:

JawnV6 posted:

a few different failure modes. Some folks figure out how to make a small-run work (~100 hand-made units) then get flooded with 10k orders and don't have the cash to cover the gap to more professional manufacturing. I used to hold the second Pebble up as a great one, engineering's done or at least to the point of EVT/DVT, the money's largely paying for the manufacturing run. The slick folks who are deliberately or unwittingly scamming aren't a large part of the market.

My rule of thumb when buying anything but books (because everybody outsources the printing and order fulfilment) is that the sellers need to have manufactured a product before. Not just made, but manufactured.

On the other hand, I bought the first pair of American Duchess shoes sight-unseen, because historically accurate shoes are impossible to find. The founders fought their way up the learning curve of working with Chinese manufacturers (who thoughtfully kept changing the design because she didn't really want shoes like that, or becauseAmericans had wider feet than she'd specified), shipped them, provided outstanding customer service, and founded a successful business.

https://www.americanduchess.com and they rock.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 13, 2017

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

But, but why?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
To wear with your steampunk corset which has gears glued on it.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Don't Americans have wider feet? Why would making them purposefully narrow be good?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

JawnV6 posted:

There are a few different failure modes. Some folks figure out how to make a small-run work (~100 hand-made units) then get flooded with 10k orders and don't have the cash to cover the gap to more professional manufacturing. I used to hold the second Pebble up as a great one, engineering's done or at least to the point of EVT/DVT, the money's largely paying for the manufacturing run. The slick folks who are deliberately or unwittingly scamming aren't a large part of the market.

fishmech posted:

They picked a lovely tradeoff, which they were able to rectify in the next year's version. I'm reeeally sorry it upsets you, but the original iPhone was full of terrible decisions that made it a bad phone (again, the worst one being that the call quality was terrible). Just like the original iPod was a pretty terrible music player for the vast majority of people, due to it requiring a very niche computer to work with that most people didn't have. Though it's weird that you somehow think pointing out "the original iPhone sucked" must mean that it's also evil? It makes you sound like you have your identity wrapped up in it in an unhealthy way, mate.

But sure, keep on writing your hagiography of Apple and the original, lovely, iPhone if you want, it just won't be true.

Take it to IYG or wherever

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

WarpedLichen posted:

But, but why?
Historic costuming is a thing. Some people do Civil War reenactment, some do Revolutionary War reenactment, and some of us just like to dress up pretty and have cocktails or tea or whatever. If you're an 18th-century lady from your shift out, wearing something on your feet you bought at Bi-Rite and camouflaged with 1950s clip-on buckles is depressing. Making shoes by hand is a highly specialized skill, and making modern shoes even more so. People buy reproduction muskets for black-powder shooting. People buy reproduction shoes for dancing and docent work and just plain showing off.

American Duchess are no dummies, and they market to steampunk people because duh income, but each model is carefully designed to be period-accurate for some time period that people reenact. They also do a booming business with motion picture and stage productions.

Trevor Hale posted:

Don't Americans have wider feet? Why would making them purposefully narrow be good?
It was the other way around. AD said "Here are our blueprints, we want the size 4 to be X mm wide at the ball of the foot, and the last prototype you sent is good to go." The Chinese manufacturer decided "American people have fat feet, so we will manufacture these at X+N mm."

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jan 14, 2017

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Arsenic Lupin posted:

My rule of thumb when buying anything but books (because everybody outsources the printing and order fulfilment) is that the sellers need to have manufactured a product before. Not just made, but manufactured.
Dan Shapiro did great with Robot Turtles :v: Arguably closer to a book than "manufacturing"

I used to work for an engineering consultancy branch of a CM...ish company. I met a lot of ex-software folks who either fell into this kind of trap where they fundamentally didn't respect the other disciplines surrounding them at other companies OR never had to limit their thinking to hardware time & cost. Software can ship a new feature in minutes, hardware requires longer timelines and planning. Hardware forces early choices with consequences, triggers are irrevocably pulled. Choices like CMF/UI skin that can be deferred until after launch for a software product. You can A/B test without the cost of a prototype & focus group or spinning up another SKU.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Historic costuming is a thing. Some people do Civil War reenactment, some do Revolutionary War reenactment, and some of us just like to dress up pretty and have cocktails or tea or whatever. If you're an 18th-century lady from your shift out, wearing something on your feet you bought at Bi-Rite and camouflaged with 1950s clip-on buckles is depressing. Making shoes by hand is a highly specialized skill, and making modern shoes even more so. People buy reproduction muskets for black-powder shooting. People buy reproduction shoes for dancing and docent work and just plain showing off.

American Duchess are no dummies, and they market to steampunk people because duh income, but each model is carefully designed to be period-accurate for some time period that people reenact. They also do a booming business with motion picture and stage productions.

Hollywood and reenactment aside, is there a reason you buy these things? Is just a desire to be a historical lady or are they more comfortable for dancing or something?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

WarpedLichen posted:

Hollywood and reenactment aside, is there a reason you buy these things? Is just a desire to be a historical lady or are they more comfortable for dancing or something?
Nobody's hobbies make sense to anybody else. It is the Law.

Nobody I know --well, very few people I know-- who does historic costuming want to live without indoor plumbing, the vote, antibiotics, and so on. We just think the clothes are pretty, and once you've gotten anal-retentive about making a reeded corset based on the one Elizabeth I's funeral effigy was wearing -- not making this up, I know people who've built one -- wearing modern shoes patched up to look vaguely in-period hurts your soul. Same as model railroads, really. Once you've decided to build a layout for the 1934 Pioneer Zephyr out of Texas, you don't want model buildings that date to 1939.

After you've put the whole thing together, you go to an event with other people who've put similar things together, and you spend most of the event either saying "Wow! I love the way you've put on that trim!" or "This is why we've created a Constitutional Amendment to overturn Citizens United." Real conversation I had while dressed as a 1910's lady partaking of a sarsaparilla in an ice-cream soda shoppe. If you're curious, here's this year's list of events for my local organization, the Greater Bay Area Costumers' Guild. http://gbacg.org/gbacg-calendar.html

e: It makes me happy to sit among a group of other ladies, all of us hand-sewing bergère hats, and talking about how we're going to trim them. The process is deeply satisfying. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berg%C3%A8re_hat

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jan 14, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

WarpedLichen posted:

Sometimes people just buy things they like the look of.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

OwlFancier posted:

Please don't reignite the iphone battle.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
my only hobby is watching the love boat and i can reproduce the entire show in real time by reciting the lines of every episode in chronological order while acting out the motions of these characters that have become my family, friends and religious congregation

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Nobody's hobbies make sense to anybody else. It is the Law.

Nobody I know --well, very few people I know-- who does historic costuming want to live without indoor plumbing, the vote, antibiotics, and so on. We just think the clothes are pretty, and once you've gotten anal-retentive about making a reeded corset based on the one Elizabeth I's funeral effigy was wearing -- not making this up, I know people who've built one -- wearing modern shoes patched up to look vaguely in-period hurts your soul. Same as model railroads, really. Once you've decided to build a layout for the 1934 Pioneer Zephyr out of Texas, you don't want model buildings that date to 1939.
GCFCG says hi!

Some of us today have sizes that are impossible to find in extant period shoes, never mind in wearable condition. My friend lucked out and found an estate with custom made size 11 AAA shoes, which is the only reason I can wear something from the 1940's. As it turns out, they're far more comfortable inside than any modern shoe of similar style.
There is a real market for shoes that complete someone's costume (sorry, SCA). I look forward to handing AD a chunk of my money.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Avshalom posted:

my only hobby is watching the love boat and i can reproduce the entire show in real time by reciting the lines of every episode in chronological order while acting out the motions of these characters that have become my family, friends and religious congregation
You might get a well-received play out of that.

Maera Sior posted:

GCFCG says hi!

There is a real market for shoes that complete someone's costume (sorry, SCA). I look forward to handing AD a chunk of my money.
(long-distance wave) Specialty resources are great. Did you see the latest Star Wars costume designer saying she'd specifically designed Rey's costume to be easy to cosplay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

OwlFancier posted:

Literally everyone does that with clothes.